Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Mick Taylor playing lead all the time...
Date: May 16, 2013 12:55

sonomastone
triceratops
KR even took MT's solo time on Satisfaction for himself. Blame this on Keith's residual druggie mentality, this also casts doubts on his version of events in his book Life

Keith Richards is the creator and co-writer of Satisfaction. The song was recorded 4 years before Mick Taylor joined the band. For you to call it MT's solo is a great example of everything that's wrong with the Taylor extremists. I am of the opinion that, in writing and recording the song, Mr. Keith Richards has earned the right to decide for himself who solos on it, and not Triceratops.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2013 13:00

DandelionPowderman

You've been around here long enough to remember my thorough criticism of Ronnie in the 90s, Keith on the Licks tour and on or even my beef with Mick's thinner and more mannered voice. Nobody runs clear of criticism.

However, when Taylor gets criticism, it's almost like an army of ants are coming out of their hives to rescue. Why is that? Is it a thorn in their pride that he quit? Do they desperately want to persuade people with a different view on thing? Do they feel superior, because THEY know he was the best, and hence the band sounded the best when he was in the band?

Listen to what people say, don't over-analyze everything and take some criticism with a grain of salt - because it might be enhanced by some because of repeatedly counter-attacks.

I've been here long enough to remember many things - and most of I say about these issues derives from listening people. What you seem to describe "army of ants" acting like half-idiots, is for me people who have a certain view of the band and of its graetness, and I am grateful to have learned to know that voice here. In many cases these are fans who were there then when the band truely was the hottest of the hottest, people who grew up with albums like STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN STREET, and the latest Rolling Stones single in the radio being "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar", perhaps catching them live 1973. It is something, Dandie, you and I only learn from the history books. That they didn't find the band any longer so good with Wood or even albums like SOME GIRLS or singles like "Miss You" or "Start Me Up" inspiring, that's their right. Which doesn't make them any lesser Stones fans. They have every right to voice their opinion. Are we fans who have get to know the band during Woodie's presence, and appreciate the band from that point of view, any better? Can we say we 'know' better? Surely not.

What I don't like here is the way "Taylorites" - or "Brian Era Fans" (not many of them, unfortunately) - are treated with the implicit attitude like you do in the post above - putting them like to some garbage box, under the label of "idiots", needing for a therapeutist, because you don't like their point. I react to that attitude. I am sure you don't mean that but that some of your words imply that. If what buggers you is the "Taylorites", me buggers the reaction towards them.

The fact that Mick Taylor and his era - five years of fifty - is so much discussed here is alone a sign of how significant that era is for a Rolling Stones hardcore fanbase.

Already finished REAL LIVE?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 13:58 by Doxa.

Date: May 16, 2013 13:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

You've been around here long enough to remember my thorough criticism of Ronnie in the 90s, Keith on the Licks tour and on or even my beef with Mick's thinner and more mannered voice. Nobody runs clear of criticism.

However, when Taylor gets criticism, it's almost like an army of ants are coming out of their hives to rescue. Why is that? Is it a thorn in their pride that he quit? Do they desperately want to persuade people with a different view on thing? Do they feel superior, because THEY know he was the best, and hence the band sounded the best when he was in the band?

Listen to what people say, don't over-analyze everything and take some criticism with a grain of salt - because it might be enhanced by some because of repeatedly counter-attacks.

I've been here long enough to remember many things - and most of I say about these issues derives from listening people. What you seem to describe "army of ants" acting like half-idiots, is for me people who have a certain view of the band and of its graetness, and I am grateful to have learned to know that voice here. In many cases these are fans who were there then when the band truely was the hottest of the hottest, people who grew up with albums like STICKY FINGERS and EXILE ON MAIN STREET, and the latest Rolling Stones single in the radio being "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar", perhaps catching them live 1973. It is something, Dandie, you and I only learn from the history books. That they didn't find the band any longer so good with Wood or even albums like SOME GIRLS or singles like "Miss You" or "Start Me Up" inspiring, that's their right. Which doesn't make them any lesser Stones fans. They have every right to voice their opinion. Are we fans who have get to know the band during Woodie's presence, and appreciate the band from that point of view, any better? Can we say we 'know' better? Surely not.

What I don't like here is the way "Taylorites" - or "Brian Era Fans" (not many of them, unfortunately) - are treated with the implicit attitude like you do in your posts - putting them like to some garbage box, under the label of "idiots", needing for a therapeutist, because you don't like their point. I react to that attitude. I am sure you don't mean that but that some of your words imply that. If what buggers you is the "Taylorites", me buggers the reaction towards them.

The fact that Mick Taylor and his era - five years of fifty - is so much discussed here is alone a sign of how significant that era is for a Rolling Stones hardcore fanbase.

- Doxa

Finished smiling smiley

When Bjørnulf makes a sticky thread about Taylor, and all of a sudden there pop up 12 (!) Taylor threads, some of them downright mean (Should Ronnie sit it out) - then they ARE behaving like idiots, imo.

You're wrong about me labeling any Stones fans. It is the extremes I'm talking about. People who stalks you, because they don't agree with your views - even threatening you - people who desperately are trying to convince you - people who aggressively try to get your attention - unpleasant.

I may sound determined about some matters, but I only try to discuss what I think about my favourite band, like you.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 16, 2013 13:20

Doxa

What I don't like here is the way "Taylorites" - or "Brian Era Fans" (not many of them, unfortunately) - are treated with the implicit attitude like you do in your posts - putting them like to some garbage box, under the label of "idiots", needing for a therapeutist, because you don't like their point. I react to that attitude. I am sure you don't mean that but that some of your words imply that. If what buggers you is the "Taylorites", me buggers the reaction towards them.

- Doxa

Can't say I've noticed that us Brian era fans get treated like dirt by the Taylorites (Brian-conspiracy-theorists, on the other hand, deserve all they get, IMHO...) But I do resent the occasional suggestion that the band's first six years were just some primitive era waiting for Taylor to come along and step into the place prepared for him and invent the REAL Stones. This exchange says it all:

sonomastone
triceratops
KR even took MT's solo time on Satisfaction for himself. Blame this on Keith's residual druggie mentality, this also casts doubts on his version of events in his book Life

Keith Richards is the creator and co-writer of Satisfaction. The song was recorded 4 years before Mick Taylor joined the band. For you to call it MT's solo is a great example of everything that's wrong with the Taylor extremists. I am of the opinion that, in writing and recording the song, Mr. Keith Richards has earned the right to decide for himself who solos on it, and not Triceratops.

Date: May 16, 2013 13:24

WHAT, doxa!!! I just noticed you tried to pin on me that I treat Brian era fans with an "implicit attitude, putting them in some garbage box"???

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM???

And that goes for fans of all eras as well...

Date: May 16, 2013 13:30

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Finished smiling smiley

When Bjørnulf makes a sticky thread about Taylor, and all of a sudden there pop up 12 (!) Taylor threads, some of them downright mean (Should Ronnie sit it out) - then they ARE behaving like idiots, imo.

You're wrong about me labeling any Stones fans. It is the extremes I'm talking about. People who stalks you, because they don't agree with your views - even threatening you - people who desperately are trying to convince you - people who aggressively try to get your attention - unpleasant.

I may sound determined about some matters, but I only try to discuss what I think about my favourite band, like you.

smileys with beer

I wonder how many words we have exchanged during the years... Sorry if I pushed too hard (now and here and then), but somehow I have the feeling that you somehow know me and tolerate my bad habits...

- Doxa

Date: May 16, 2013 13:33

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Finished smiling smiley

smileys with beer

I wonder how many words we have exchanged during the years... Sorry if I pushed too hard (now and here and then), but somehow I have the feeling that you somehow know me and tolerate my bad habits...

- Doxa

smileys with beer Some people need pushing, and some are allowed to push

But the "Brian-trick" was kinda cheap...

Date: May 16, 2013 13:40

DandelionPowderman
WHAT, doxa!!! I just noticed you tried to pin on me that I treat Brian era fans with an "implicit attitude, putting them in some garbage box"???

No, that reference was not directed at you - only the Taylorites is your concern, and even there you are way too mild and moderate to label you as an "anti-Taylorite"..grinning smiley (I would only critizise some of yours views concerning the song-writing issues during Brian era, but that's another discussion, and let us not go there now...)

Like Green Lady above mentioned, bad habits of Taylorites - and Woodists as well - is to see it as a sort of "primitive ara", or "pre-history"m and the real action started with "Jumpin Jack Flash". There is not enough Brian Era Fans to make big fuss about it, or to cause aggressive reaction. So the whole era is almost ignored. (Wonderful we have His Majesty here!).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 13:51 by Doxa.

Date: May 16, 2013 13:49

The Brian era simply can't be overrated!

And I think I've done my share to shed light on that during the years smiling smiley

Meanwhile, let's listen to the "mystery tour" again:

Date: May 16, 2013 14:02

DandelionPowderman

But the "Brian-trick" was kinda cheap...

Yeah, I read my post and corrected it now. Words did me tricks. I was only referring to the attitude in general, of which your post was an example, not especially concerning what. You surely are one of the Brian Era positivists here!

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2013 14:15

Doxa
(Wonderful we have His Majesty here!).

- Doxa

grinning smiley

It's usually Taylor Vs Wood, but it's interesting that the Jones era usually seems to get left out of such heated debates.

Anyway...

We sure all know how to get ridiculous here! Nothing wrong with passion for the things you love. Atleast these debates are about The Rolling Stones so it's all good. cool smiley

Date: May 16, 2013 14:30

cn854
Just before Taylor quit, Keef was a full blown Junkie.

Ever been around a Junkie, they are NOT nice people to be around....PERIOD

No, I've never been around a full-blown junkie WITH the purest drugs AND the best doctors in the world - who simultaneously makes the best rock'n'roll records in history...

Date: May 16, 2013 15:07

His Majesty
It's usually Taylor Vs Wood, but it's interesting that the Jones era usually seems to get left out of such heated debates.

Yeah it does, but Brian Jones alone is a difficult topic of its own... For many people it seems way too difficult to get through the moralistic stand in regards man's non-musical doings, and some repeated myths, and to deal the musician and his contributions fairly.

For that reason I spent years in Brian Jones boards. The conspiration theories plus some devoted Mick and Keith hate-agenda and other extremism made it sometimes difficult to cope with, but along the heated debates and whatever crap I got a lot of intersting and insightful info, and a great view of how the things look like from "Brian's side". It widened up at least my thinking. I remember many of the regulars there saying to have gone to those boards since they felt like it was impossible to discuss Brian in boards like IORR. A great contributor from LARS, Mock Jogger, nowadays occasionally writes here, which is great. Usually I don't agree with him, but shit his detailed, careful arguments are tough ones to refute!

- Doxa

Date: May 16, 2013 15:53

I dunno, I take it to mean that it's kind of accepted that those years were important, even if it's seen as a warm up by some, it's the original band etc.

The competition angle seems to come from Ronnie stepping in to Taylors spot and trying to do what Taylor did, atleast to begin with. With Brian's contributions being so non guitar focused there is no competition really between Jones and Taylor.

Someone did say recently that he hates the Jones era, which is funny to me because it really means that you don't like the band as it was formed and meant to be. That posters favourite line up would not have come to be had Brian not ruined himself.

I wonder how many Taylorites wish Brian had managed to sort himself out and remain in the band he kick started? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 16, 2013 15:55

grinning smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 16, 2013 17:11

I don't often comment on IORR. I have seen the Stones live since 1969 in Philly - both with Taylor and Wood. Ron Wood is an excellent guitarist. I have seen the Faces live as well. Wood has to play what Jagger and Richards composed, and he does not get the chance to write. In the Faces Wood was his own man and played some really blazing and gritty guitar. He had to replicate Taylor's solo parts in the Stones, which is nearly impossible to do. Taylor is also brilliant and amazing but created the stunning solo's that Wood has to play. We never really talk about the horrors of heroin addiction that both Richards and Taylor endured. Taylor left probably because of it - among other reasons. Injection drug use is a nightmare not to mention blood born disease transmission such as Hepatitis C and HIV. Keith has admitted to having Hepatitis C. It literally attacks the liver. Thankfully there are treatments now, But as we compare and argue periods of who played what better and why, let's consider that people addicted to heroin are not thinking about much else other than getting the next fix so they don't become sick. No one makes rational choices and decisions under the influence and control of heroin. I am happy they are both alive, clean and standing on the same stage playing together.

Date: May 16, 2013 17:13

PhillyFAN
I don't often comment on IORR. I have seen the Stones live since 1969 in Philly - both with Taylor and Wood. Ron Wood is an excellent guitarist. I have seen the Faces live as well. Wood has to play what Jagger and Richards composed, and he does not get the chance to write. In the Faces Wood was his own man and played some really blazing and gritty guitar. He had to replicate Taylor's solo parts in the Stones, which is nearly impossible to do. Taylor is also brilliant and amazing but created the stunning solo's that Wood has to play. We never really talk about the horrors of heroin addiction that both Richards and Taylor endured. Taylor left probably because of it - among other reasons. Injection drug use is a nightmare not to mention blood born disease transmission such as Hepatitis C and HIV. Keith has admitted to having Hepatitis C. It literally attacks the liver. Thankfully there are treatments now, But as we compare and argue periods of who played what better and why, let's consider that people addicted to heroin are not thinking about much else other than getting the next fix so they don't become sick. No one makes rational choices and decisions under the influence and control of heroin. I am happy they are both alive, clean and standing on the same stage playing together.

The best post in months here on the board. Thanks, PhillyFAN! thumbs up

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 16, 2013 18:15

sonomastone
triceratops

Playing live the Stones have churned out numerous desultory throwaway editions of Satisfaction, while during the Taylor era this tune was forcibly evolved to new heights. Many think the best versions ever were these Mick Taylor powerhouses, in the same league as Sway. Mick Taylor made Satisfaction his own, this is where new Taylorites are forged

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 21:06 by triceratops.

Date: May 16, 2013 18:36

How did the stones ever manage without him!? eye rolling smiley

Date: May 16, 2013 19:00

There is something missing on those renditions of Satisfaction: The riff!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 16, 2013 19:16

I'm already sick of Taylor and other guests - why dont they just let the Stones do the job. I just wanna hear bass, drums, mick, keith and ronnie - enough with guests. I think Taylor should stay home...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2013 19:31

Doxa
His Majesty

Yeah it does, but Brian Jones alone is a difficult topic of its own... For many people it seems way too difficult to get through the moralistic stand in regards man's non-musical doings, and some repeated myths, and to deal the musician and his contributions fairly.

For that reason I spent years in Brian Jones boards. The conspiration theories plus some devoted Mick and Keith hate-agenda and other extremism made it sometimes difficult to cope with, but along the heated debates and whatever crap I got a lot of intersting and insightful info, and a great view of how the things look like from "Brian's side". It widened up at least my thinking. I remember many of the regulars there saying to have gone to those boards since they felt like it was impossible to discuss Brian in boards like IORR. A great contributor from LARS, Mock Jogger, nowadays occasionally writes here, which is great. Usually I don't agree with him, but shit his detailed, careful arguments are tough ones to refute!

- Doxa

I think with Brian it's a different sort of comparison. It was before the big tours as we have come to know them. There is much more direct guitar-based comparisons between Wood and Taylor because they have played many of the same songs for many years. Taylor didn't really step into Brian's role, as Brian was finished as a guitarist with the Stones quite a while before Taylor joined. Brian's later contributions were mostly in the studio on other instruments and the Stones wanted to go back to the two-guitar blues approach with Taylor, so it's quite a different kind of comparison.

Date: May 16, 2013 20:13

Seriously, I think we have compared enough, but that's me. All eras have their ups and downs.

Doom and Gloom: I can't hear Taylor on guitar on Torn And Frayed.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:21

His Majesty

We sure all know how to get ridiculous here! Nothing wrong with passion for the things you love.

You don't really feel that way...you're just pretending...

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:30

DandelionPowderman
Seriously, I think we have compared enough, but that's me. All eras have their ups and downs.

Doom and Gloom: I can't hear Taylor on guitar on Torn And Frayed.

That song would suite Taylor perfectly well, from a melodic point of view. It has a lyric atmospere, just like Taylors' lead. I can hear it already. Someone who states otherwise hasn't dug his melodic approach yet, imo.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:42

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

No, that reference was not directed at you - only the Taylorites is your concern, and even there you are way too mild and moderate to label you as an "anti-Taylorite"..grinning smiley (I would only critizise some of yours views concerning the song-writing issues during Brian era, but that's another discussion, and let us not go there now...)

Like Green Lady above mentioned, bad habits of Taylorites - and Woodists as well - is to see it as a sort of "primitive ara", or "pre-history"m and the real action started with "Jumpin Jack Flash". There is not enough Brian Era Fans to make big fuss about it, or to cause aggressive reaction. So the whole era is almost ignored. (Wonderful we have His Majesty here!).

- Doxa

Objection your Honour! Three famous Taylorians here - pmk251, VT22 and myself - are stubborn Brian-era lovers. So are many other Taylorians.

Date: May 16, 2013 20:47

Taylor plays fine on Torn And Frayed in Vancouver 72, btw.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2013 20:52

DandelionPowderman
Taylor plays fine on Torn And Frayed in Vancouver 72, btw.

Reminds me, DP, didn't they also play Ventilator and Black Angel in Vancouver? I don't have the boot.

Date: May 16, 2013 20:58

His Majesty

I wonder how many Taylorites wish Brian had managed to sort himself out and remain in the band he kick started? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

kleermaker

Objection your Honour! Three famous Taylorians here - pmk251, VT22 and myself - are stubborn Brian-era lovers. So are many other Taylorians.

Your thoughts? smiling smiley

Date: May 16, 2013 21:03

Munichhilton
His Majesty

We sure all know how to get ridiculous here! Nothing wrong with passion for the things you love.

You don't really feel that way...you're just pretending...

If you say so.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home