Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 30 of 35
the TRUTH about LIFE
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 24, 2010 13:04

it's completely boring (maybe except for the very beginning).
Am I the only one or is there anybody else sharing my point of view?

Re: the TRUTH about LIFE
Date: December 24, 2010 14:11

...I'd suggest you change your thread title in "My POINT OF VIEW about LIFE" -
that's all I need to share with you on this.

Merry 2011... smileys with beer

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 24, 2010 14:45

I personally find the outlaw braggadocio to be really childish and even contemptible. Maybe because I've grown older (grown up), maybe because times have changed and I've seen the harm hard drugs do to users and the fabric of society, but I don't think it's admirable to take the outlaw stance on behalf of drug use. Yes, the Stones were persecuted in the 60s and this gives them reason to dislike and distrust the law, but I do not share or admire Keith's evident enjoyment of cops-and-robbers games. And so this large aspect of the book did not appeal to me.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2010 15:15

Please put all your comments here: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 24, 2010 15:25

While I don't suggest trying to imitate Keith's lifestyle, I think the book is great!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 24, 2010 17:46

slewan

i might if i had the slighest interest in reading it.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 24, 2010 17:52

slewan

Agree! Took forever to get through it, started good but got rather boring quickly

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: December 24, 2010 20:00

It´s not great literature, of course, but somehow quite amusing and entertaining as well. If only Mr KR had left out boosting his 40+ years old conquers and infantile Mick Jagger bashings..

But having read Ron Wood´s boook, which caused me an "ill at ease" (my favorite britishness) for the rest of my life, whenever this idiot RW is mentioned, Life is a good book, far better than (I) expected.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 25, 2010 06:10

Koen

Koen [and, really, BV]

The combined thread on Keith's book is too unwieldy. I am dying to discuss various aspects of it (not anything as broad as "Dis book stinx and dat's the truth" ) but actually getting into analysis of specific parts of it, particular stories, Keith's perspective and point of view, his voice, literary style, how it's being received. But each one of these (and others) could be its own thread. There are too many tangled themes in that now-bloated 10-page hybridized thread. So I just don't even post about it--I'm concerned if I do post a thread of something substantive and specific, the thread will be deleted or maybe I'll get banned for not doing things the proper way.

So, I'd like to propose two things: (1) that we be "allowed" to post about discrete aspects of LIFE and (2) posters---please SEARCH and/or browse a bit before starting new threads AND maybe refrain from starting new kinda empty threads like "This book rots."

swiss (now returning to It's a Wonderful Life and waiting for Santa to arrive smiling smiley)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 06:12 by swiss.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 25, 2010 21:49

Still havent got my fuc-king copie yet!!!!

Gonna buy a new one at the boosktore next week.. dont wanna wait anymore and I wont pay for the copie I ordered from itnernet

Date: December 26, 2010 12:00

A good book. And the stuff about the early Stones years is brilliant, imo.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 26, 2010 19:43

My biggest problem with the book is Keith's inability and/or unwillingness to really get into what happened in the studio (ie. who played what, ideas for arrangements, etc.), especially in regards to their 1960's material. Yes, Keith talks about some of their hits from that era, but not about the nuts and bolts of how the music was created. The general impression of the book is that he and Mick did everything while the others (Brian, Bill, and Charlie) were mere sidemen with no real ideas of their own. Keith talks about Little Red Rooster and mentions how it was his and Mick's idea to make it into a single. Thus, it was to their credit that LRR becomes a #1 hit in England, but there's no mention of Brian at all in this passage, the guy playing that all-important slide bit.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 26, 2010 20:41

swiss
Koen

Koen [and, really, BV]

The combined thread on Keith's book is too unwieldy. I am dying to discuss various aspects of it (not anything as broad as "Dis book stinx and dat's the truth" ) but actually getting into analysis of specific parts of it, particular stories, Keith's perspective and point of view, his voice, literary style, how it's being received. But each one of these (and others) could be its own thread. There are too many tangled themes in that now-bloated 10-page hybridized thread. So I just don't even post about it--I'm concerned if I do post a thread of something substantive and specific, the thread will be deleted or maybe I'll get banned for not doing things the proper way.

So, I'd like to propose two things: (1) that we be "allowed" to post about discrete aspects of LIFE and (2) posters---please SEARCH and/or browse a bit before starting new threads AND maybe refrain from starting new kinda empty threads like "This book rots."

swiss (now returning to It's a Wonderful Life and waiting for Santa to arrive smiling smiley)

So much for your request. Every little comment about LIFE gets swallowed up by this huge thread and made irrelevant.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 26, 2010 21:00

neptune
swiss
Koen

Koen [and, really, BV]

So much for your request. Every little comment about LIFE gets swallowed up by this huge thread and made irrelevant.
Yep.

Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 26, 2010 23:22

This thread is 30 pages long, and STILL no one has commented on Life's single-most startling revelation; namely, that the Rolling Stones signature sound can be largely credited to something that was shown to Keith by none other than Bobby "Watching Scotty Grow" Goldsboro!

Date: December 27, 2010 00:03

Doxa
Edward Twining
I agree with the review from the Globe and Mail wholeheartedly.
Keith comes across as extremely honest (and not in the least superficial). His recounting of his early years are a marvellous read also, because they haven't previously been so well documented. There are very few biographies which are as well written and as unbiased as his. There are many observations that Keith makes who's views i share, and it addresses many lingering questions i have had concerning a number of the Stones' decisions across the decades. Keith certainly displays no signs of jealousy towards Mick or Brian within his critique of them. He's just trying to tell the story as he sees it. There seems no underlying motive, despite his reference to Jagger's more intimate parts.

Honesty? I guess if one truely believes own bullshit one is honest, in a way, I liked the early Darford days but since that - as the story of The Stones actually starts - I find myself feeling uncomfortable, a bit embarrassed and, most of all, bored. Almost feels like witnessing Keith Richards performing in the last tours. Repeating the same old thing and just getting worse. The same all stories, myths, one-liners repetaed, and now with a hindsight - read: no lack of anchronisms!

Well as far as "trying to tell the story as he sees", well... to me eyes Keith is horribly a prisoner of his own myth. I honestly wanted a bit of more mature, reflective approach. But seemingly having lived in a bubble all of his adult life, surrounded by people who secure his ass and baby (and adore) him, he appears as a kind of "Michael Jackson of rock".

Well, I'm about half way through but I have lost the interest to really read the book any further. Just got the MICK HAS A SMALL DICK DOES EVyRYONE NOW HEAR IT part, and reading it in the context makes is even more idiotic, small-minded and juvenile than in tabloids. Suits very well to the tone of the book. That's "honesty"? I'm not really fond of hearing how "unbearable" Mick gets nor the truth behind snorting dad's ashes. It is so hard to realize that one's own hero just... sucks.

Like Keith Richards once said to Pete Townshead that "Shut the fvck up, and play the guitar", I wish the very same for Keith. (Even I'm not sure if I really want to hear it..)

- Doxa

Speaking of Townshend, I'm surprised Keith doesn't take credit for having invented the windmill. Pete gives him the credit for it. But for Keith to mention it would be to admit that the Who matter. And in the world of Keef, NO ONE who came along AFTER the Rolling Stones matters. Well .... maybe Gram mattered a little.

Date: December 27, 2010 00:18

chelskeith
Cant believe I'm 300 pages in and still havent gotten to Patti, its all anita and the Ushi story just came in...

I can't believe it took 200 pages just to get to "Satisfaction". Seems a little "top-heavy".

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 27, 2010 04:08

The worst is ,reading between lines.He is taken most of the credit too allStonessongs from that period.1973-1985.sO IF YOU CANT SE THAT,YOU MUST BE BLIND.Can you see him take something from himself,no nothing.
Just telling people between lines,how good he is.Nothing about he,s playing ability,nothing.Just prawling around himself.I just can,t take it anymoire.That,s why i,m so pisssed about this Keithlickers,everything is so great,and fabolouse about this man,maybee he are Jesus?

Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:50

harlem shuffle
maybee he are Jesus?

Some authority even thinks he is more than that smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jethroborsje ()
Date: December 27, 2010 13:47

I love the biography. I am just wondering if most people read it in English or in their native tongue? I am from the Netherlands but I am reading the English version, because I think some things might be lost in the translation to Dutch.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 28, 2010 00:43

jethroborsje
I love the biography. I am just wondering if most people read it in English or in their native tongue? I am from the Netherlands but I am reading the English version, because I think some things might be lost in the translation to Dutch.

The English gets the rockers and the Dutch get the painters.

Date: December 29, 2010 01:33

No mention by Keith of his huge 1960s solo hit.

Hey, ninety-seven to three
It's good to have you back again, oh
Her lovin' is the medicine that saaaved me
Oh, I love my baby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 01:34 by tatters.

Date: December 29, 2010 02:21

tatters

Oh, I love my baby

If anyone "gets" this, let me know. I thought it was very clever.

Date: December 30, 2010 01:46

tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

Evidently not.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 01:47 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: December 30, 2010 01:48

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

Evidently not clever, or evidently no one gets it? YOU get it, don't you?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 30, 2010 02:40

neptune
My biggest problem with the book is Keith's inability and/or unwillingness to really get into what happened in the studio (ie. who played what, ideas for arrangements, etc.), especially in regards to their 1960's material.

don't we already know who plays what? ... and if he did that for the songs of the 60s, the book would be 20000 pages long.

Date: December 30, 2010 02:43

tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

Well if no one gets it than I guess it's not that clever. So no I don't get it.

Date: December 30, 2010 02:54

sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

i have no clue either -- much too clever for me

Date: December 30, 2010 02:57

LeonidP
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

wait, isn't there some comment by keith in the book on mixing dope - and then he wrote lyrics to that effect, i.e. on the ratio? ... still not sure why this would be considered 'clever'.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 30, 2010 12:42

LeonidP
LeonidP
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
sweetcharmedlife
tatters
tatters

Oh, I love my baby

wait, isn't there some comment by keith in the book on mixing dope - and then he wrote lyrics to that effect, i.e. on the ratio? ... still not sure why this would be considered 'clever'.

OK, here it is - of course as this was the 60s the lyrics had to be cleaned up a bit...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 30 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home