Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 34 of 35
My BIggest Disappointment With Keith's Book
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 22, 2011 06:05

Now that I have finally finished all 546 pages of LIFE, I must say that I am sorely disappointed that he did not much discuss specific tours, shows, maybe even albums.

Sorry if this has already been well covered earlier but I wasn't about to start to read the 30+ pages of the official LIFE thread. Maybe I will now.

I also did not understand some of the British terms/slang but that's not his fault.

I also did not like the constant use of the F word, it's against my upbringing though I cuss, swear and use that word frequently. A contradiction, yes.

plexi

Re: My BIggest Disappointment With Keith's Book
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 22, 2011 06:09

'I also did not like the constant use of the F word..' You're not English, are you?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 22, 2011 06:11

...and you expected Keith Richards not to use the F word why, exactly?

I think each one of us (especially the guitar players) would rather have a book like you described, talking about shows and albums (you can add tunings, amps, and effects pedals) but unfortunately that's not the kind of book that sells to the general public. Publishers need a "story" and so it's Mick-bashing, drugs and todger sizes. Oh, and how could I forget, weapons.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 22, 2011 06:18

I have not read 'Life' yet. I might do one day. Now at least all I need to know about Keith Richards I get by listening to him play...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:04

Yeah I finally finished Life as well. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. And I too was quite disappointed that he didn't talk more about the Music. There are times that it seemed that he was going to delve more in-depth into the music, but then it would be a short and very shallow descriptor. I mean, yeah, there is some interesting stuff in the book, but it just wan't as thorough as I was hoping...but it was WAY better than Ronnie's book. But I enjoyed Bills more as it was directed more at the music.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:19

Keef shoulda read the audio book instead of Deppy......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:49

I am just about to start reading the book. I got it for Christmas and I was very very excited, bud had to finish another thick book first. In order not to spoil the reading I also didn't read the 30 pages thread here, but could not help noticing the generally bad feelings about the book. I have to say I am not that excited now when I should start the actual reading. But will do it anyway of course. I can imagine that a book with a constant use of F word will not be my favourite. Okay, I will see...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-22 08:50 by Happy24.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: March 22, 2011 10:16

Happy24, please don`t let other people opinions form your own opinion! Maybe you`ll be happy and satisfied when reading it, as I am, for example. I hope to write my impressions, but am afraid of my bad English))

Re: Keith Richards' autobiography Life - reviews and comments
Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 22, 2011 15:50

kater-v, please don't worry about your English on this board.
Many of us native speakers do not express ourselves so well, and certainly could not
write at all in another language, so just go for it, as the saying goes.

Maybe more of us need to express how fascinating we found Keith's book.
I know I didn't put it down once I started. Yes, certain things were omitted
and other parts perhaps went on too long. Nonetheless, I was not
disappointed, on the whole, and the writing style was easy and fun to
read, in my opinion.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 22, 2011 16:32

angee

Good idea angee. I've posted it several times before on this thread, but I will happily repeat it. I really loved the book and thought it was very funny too.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: March 22, 2011 19:32

Rolling Hansie
angee

Good idea angee. I've posted it several times before on this thread, but I will happily repeat it. I really loved the book and thought it was very funny too.

Loved the book, love the man, and the "pirate" that lives, within the man!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 22, 2011 19:41

i was surprised that i *did* find it put-downable ... at first. it wasn't a lack of interest in the early parts -
au contraire, i loved the view of his childhood and the early years, it was just ... a different pace than i expected or something.
but at some point i figured out that what i really needed to put down was what i expected,
and let the book take me where it wanted to, and when i did that ... ahhh ~*YES*~

Keith wrote a good book

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 22, 2011 20:07

Why would Keith write much about shows and albums? I don't think a teacher would write a lot about different lessons or self penned learning books in his or her autobiography. The professional life is usually the least interesting to talk about for a normal person. When it comes to Keith it looks like drugs has been the most beloved and influential part in his life,

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 22, 2011 20:17

thewatchman
Rolling Hansie
angee

Good for you. For me this book is an evidence of that how the belief in somebody's own myth can turn a head even in an old age.
As for fun:
- Spiteful jokes concerning dead men
- Barefaced envy to more successful, lucky, healthy and attractive former friends
- Inappropriate vulgarity and roughness
- Silly teenage pose
- Childish refusal of any responsibility
sorry but it's not my cup of tea
If he has written about music, with the same passion and even a shiver instead of about drugs - I would forgive him. But there is not much of music in this book. But it is full of a dirt and intimate details about Mick Jagger. And it is clear why - he has received for it much more money

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 22, 2011 20:44

Rockman
Keef shoulda read the audio book instead of Deppy......

Yes, RM, then I would buy the audio too.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.
with sssoul, that makes a lot of sense!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2011 20:45

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-22 20:48 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2011 20:46

proudmary
thewatchman
Rolling Hansie
angee

Good for you. For me this book is an evidence of that how the belief in somebody's own myth can turn a head even in an old age.
As for fun:
- Barefaced envy to more successful, lucky, healthy and attractive former friends
- Silly teenage pose
If he has written about music, with the same passion and even a shiver instead of about drugs - I would forgive him. But there is not much of music in this book. But it is full of a dirt and intimate details about Mick Jagger. And it is clear why - he has received for it much more money

That's why I ran through the book only.

I don't blame him.

His music is for sale. The best book he wrote.
Choose your favorite chapter.

Date: March 22, 2011 22:03

Keith is a simple boy.

Hey in case ya haven't noticed .............we all are

ROCKMAN

Date: March 22, 2011 22:21

proudmary
For me this book is an evidence of that how the belief in somebody's own myth can turn a head even in an old age.

Oh well, if you want to look at it that way, have fun. I had fun reading the book.

-------------------

Date: March 22, 2011 22:30

Rockman
Keith is a simple boy.

LOL Rockman, speak for yourself eh

-------------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 23, 2011 01:54

proudmary
thewatchman
Rolling Hansie
angee

As for fun:
- Silly teenage pose

I'm about 90 pages from the finish line, but I can't imagine the remainder changing my mind.

So far ProudMary, very much in agreement with you. Is as if his mind and attitude are 'frozen in time' and he is mentally 19 years old, which, while it has its charms, gets to be a bit 'old' (pun intended).

On the positive side, at least we can probably count on no more books from him.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 23, 2011 02:15

I have read thru some of the comments on the site today...and I'm surprised. A lot of opinionated crybabies..
Now from someone who knew and worked with Keith for 7 years a few comments..first I saw a lot of Alpha comments and opinions--Keith is definitely an Alpha male--never hesitated to jump into a fight to defend a friend or himself--just watch him in GIMME SHELTER--does he act a like a weak man?
I thought the fans would love how he tells them how he created his music. I actually learned why they didn't like to play Satisfaction on the earlier tours..
I wondered how he could possibly go into all the details of his life since most of the people that were on the '69 tour with us have done their own books on just the ONE tour..his life if detailed would have to be like the
Encyclopedia Britannica. I figure he had to treat his life like one of those time line charts.. different eras as opposed to years..and then the other fact might be that less names less possibility of lawsuits..

Date: March 23, 2011 03:04

bmuseed
I have read thru some of the comments on the site today...and I'm surprised. A lot of opinionated crybabies..
Now from someone who knew and worked with Keith for 7 years a few comments..first I saw a lot of Alpha comments and opinions--Keith is definitely an Alpha male--never hesitated to jump into a fight to defend a friend or himself--just watch him in GIMME SHELTER--does he act a like a weak man?
I thought the fans would love how he tells them how he created his music. I actually learned why they didn't like to play Satisfaction on the earlier tours..
I wondered how he could possibly go into all the details of his life since most of the people that were on the '69 tour with us have done their own books on just the ONE tour..his life if detailed would have to be like the
Encyclopedia Britannica. I figure he had to treat his life like one of those time line charts.. different eras as opposed to years..and then the other fact might be that less names less possibility of lawsuits..

We can't like his book, without being crybabies? Sounds like you have a pretty well-defined 'opinion' here.

Date: March 23, 2011 03:20

proudmary
thewatchman
Rolling Hansie
angee

As for fun:
- Silly teenage pose

I think if you knew the man you would fall in love with him....lot's of bluster, but a heart of pure gold.

Date: March 23, 2011 03:22

Rockman
Keith is a simple boy.

He's actually very complex.

Date: March 23, 2011 03:31

benon again - Keith is a simple boy.

He's actually very complex.

....I know I know ........ I was just answerin' benon again

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: March 23, 2011 04:04

bmuseed

I think what a lot of people here have a problem with is that Keith, understandably, appears to be a very different person now, then the one you knew way back when. Which is the same person many here felt they knew. There was a time when he spoke eloquently, and with great candor, about the people he's known and the things he's done. He did so without seeming so full of himself, and without being so insulting and petty. I don't doubt he was as great person a person as you knew him to be, but he doesn't seem to be that person now. Nor has he aged/evolved into an older, yet still recognizable, version of that younger self that was so admired.

Plus, people have come to realize he's full of shite a lot of the time.

Date: March 23, 2011 04:36

bmuseed

I applaud you, Sir. Every once in a while someone appears on these types of forums that actually know what the hell they are talking about....very refreshing.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 23, 2011 05:15

thewatchman
bmuseed

I applaud you, Sir. Every once in a while someone appears on these types of forums that actually know what the hell they are talking about....very refreshing.
He may be. You certainly are not.

Date: March 23, 2011 05:56

bustedtrousers
bmuseed

I think what a lot of people here have a problem with is that Keith, understandably, appears to be a very different person now, then the one you knew way back when. Which is the same person many here felt they knew. There was a time when he spoke eloquently, and with great candor, about the people he's known and the things he's done. He did so without seeming so full of himself, and without being so insulting and petty. I don't doubt he was as great person a person as you knew him to be, but he doesn't seem to be that person now. Nor has he aged/evolved into an older, yet still recognizable, version of that younger self that was so admired.

Plus, people have come to realize he's full of shite a lot of the time.

There is really no reason to post anything additional when we have a poster that can post the issue(s) so clearly and concisely. Thank yoU!thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-23 05:59 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435Next
Current Page: 34 of 35

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home