Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 8, 2010 05:14

All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

Re: I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: October 8, 2010 05:17

They've made it this far without his "great" songwriting, both before he joined and after and did pretty good. I think they can finish up the career without his input.
I am glad you enjoy the album though. I enjoy some of his older solo stuff but haven't had the chance to hear this.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 8, 2010 07:28

Why is it that every time somebody likes an album that some consider bad, the people who really DO like it are apologists? Screw what you're thinking. I'm not hearing ABB for you.I'm hearing it for ME! I love it, and I'm not an apologist.Got it? Good!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: October 8, 2010 09:37

why are we comparing ronnie's solo record to the last stones record? that's stupid.

Date: October 8, 2010 10:00

Two very different albums.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 8, 2010 10:14

Tell me what else I have to like, please, please.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2010 11:30

JumpingKentFlash
Why is it that every time somebody likes an album that some consider bad, the people who really DO like it are apologists? Screw what you're thinking. I'm not hearing ABB for you.I'm hearing it for ME! I love it, and I'm not an apologist.Got it? Good!

...or...."why is it that every time somebody loathes an album that some consider great, the people who really DO loathe it are whiners? "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-08 11:39 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 8, 2010 11:32

For stonescrow, it is not enough for I Feel Like Playing to succeed. Other albums must be seen to fail.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 8, 2010 11:55

Both albums are respectable, not great. An advantage of IFLP might be that it is more varied, ABB is rather monotone at times. It was the first album that was recorded as an excuse for a tour, B2B for example was much more ambitious. Yet Abb features very good songs (DB and others). As the title says IFLP was recorded out of the wish to jam, the result is good.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2010 12:02

Ronnie had lost little of his harsch voice from his last solo-project..time for some american songbook the Rod-style?

Date: October 8, 2010 13:04

Erik_Snow
JumpingKentFlash

...or...."why is it that every time somebody loathes an album that some consider great, the people who really DO loathe it are whiners? "

Because loathing spreads more negativity than enjoying an album?

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 8, 2010 13:05

JumpingKentFlash

Amen to that!!

Posted by: Russlan ()
Date: October 8, 2010 13:21

Rod is more clever than many others, cowing cash what's wrong? let him do the public, you still have the atlantic crossing on vinyl intact, do you.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 8, 2010 13:38

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
JumpingKentFlash

Enthusiasm among others can really be annoying if one loathe something deep enough - it's hard work being crabby, you know....it can really spoil ones mood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-08 13:42 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: October 8, 2010 13:56

Yeah, I don't find I Feel Like Playing to be particularly great music, but it's a really good, solid rock 'n' roll record, obviously with some decent excursions into other genres. Guitar playing's good throughout and frankly these days Ronnie sounds a lot less ridiculous than Mick's.

Typical, the underdog makes a record that tears apart the main band's one. Makes A Bigger Bang look like even more of a piece of shit.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: October 8, 2010 14:05

JumpingKentFlash

thumbs up

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: October 8, 2010 14:05

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
JumpingKentFlash

Enthusiasm among others can really be annoying if one loathe something deep enough - it's hard work being crabby, you know....it can really spoil ones mood

Still, the latter makes this world a better place winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2010 14:57

I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!

..........wait till the dust settles.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 8, 2010 15:40

No way. Wood's cd will soon be put away. I still have ABB in my car to this day.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 8, 2010 15:49

How can you NOT like "I feel like playing"?

I should stop listen to people on forums, haha.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 8, 2010 16:47

I Feel Like Playing SUCKS.

I seriously dislike the album.

The songs are completely unremarkable and uninspired.

1234 is miles ahead of I Feel Like Playing. ABB has a ton of solid tracks. Condense them down and you have a great album...

Side A:
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Wont Take Long
She Saw Me Coming

SideB:
Oh No Not You Again
Back Of My Hand
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Under The Radar

My two cents.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 8, 2010 18:47

JumpingKentFlash

apology accepted, kent.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 8, 2010 18:48

More Hot Rocks
No way. Wood's cd will soon be put away. I still have ABB in my car to this day.

i can give you the name of a good mechanic that can fix that for you.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 8, 2010 19:14

Seriously, am I required to like either one? Or one over the other?

A stellar new Rolling Stones album would make everyone on either side of these arguments shut up for a while, but I am not counting on that happening.

Date: October 8, 2010 19:14

Come On
Ronnie had lost little of his harsch voice from his last solo-project..time for some american songbook the Rod-style?

since ronnie isn't with clive davis i doubt it

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 8, 2010 20:57

I guess the problem with the Stones is Mick Keith and Charlie

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 8, 2010 21:09

stonescrow - I have not yet heard the album, however I agree with jumpingkentflash I really liked ABB it was a strong record. If you don't like it go and listen to Woody solo. The playing on ABB is full of energy and played well and to me it is not a dud.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 8, 2010 21:30

stonescrow
All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

"Apologists"??!!! Duh

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 8, 2010 22:24

The relative merits of one album is not dependent on the other. Why did you start this thread?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 9, 2010 02:37

JumpingKentFlash

You can like something (an album for example) without being an apologist for it. I was speaking to those (including myself) who went out and purchased ABB and convinced ourselves it was the greatest thing since sliced bread just for the mere fact that it bore the stamp of the Rolling Stones. Out of blind loyalty I became (most likely) one of ABB's biggest defenders telling all my friends what a great album it was. Looking back I can see clearly now that my loyalty to the Stones had greatly impaired my vision of reality. I don't think it is the worst album ever made just the worst Stones album ever made. Of course that is just my opinion.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home