Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards gives Pete Doherty Drug advice
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 12, 2010 15:52

[www.nme.com]

The Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has said he has given Pete Doherty drug advice.

Richards said he saw similarities between his own drug use and that of Doherty and Amy Winehouse.

"Amy Winehouse and Pete take drugs for the same reasons we did," he told Anothermag.com. "All I'd say is take your drugs in your spare time, if that's what you want to do, but don't mix it up."

Richards added that he had personally warned Doherty over the dangers of continuous drug use.

"I've had a word with Pete about this but it don't make any difference,"
he said.
"If you mix it up you're just gonna fall like a million others. I've seen too many friends gone that way."

The guitarist, who is set to publish his autobiography 'Life' on October 26, also backed up his 2007 admission to NME that he snorted his dad's ashes.

"I opened my dad's ashes, and some of them blew out over the table," he recalled. "I looked at them and what do I do? Do I desecrate them with a dustbin and broom? So I wet my finger and I shoved a bit of me dad up my @#$%& hooter. I'm sure he's still blessing me. The rest I put around an oak tree."

Re: Keith Richards gives Pete Doherty Drug advice
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 12, 2010 15:55

A word from the wise!! But like most people they won't listen.. Live and learn...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 12, 2010 18:11

Funny this should come up now.

I was having a conversation with someone this morning about Keith's drug use.
I basically said I didn't think Keith's use wasn't as much as many people believe, and that he was (mostly) able to keep it under control especially when touring, etc.

I think Keith's "hardcore drug user" image was just that, image for the most part, although he did have certain periods where it got out of control.

Starting with the ALO days, the Stones built their public awareness with outlandish publicity, and this "outlaw drug user" thing is just a continuation of that.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 12, 2010 18:38

Pot, meet Kettle.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: October 12, 2010 19:01

Edith Grove

I basically said I didn't think Keith's use wasn't as much as many people believe, and that he was (mostly) able to keep it under control especially when touring, etc.

I think Keith's "hardcore drug user" image was just that, image for the most part, although he did have certain periods where it got out of control.

Starting with the ALO days, the Stones built their public awareness with outlandish publicity, and this "outlaw drug user" thing is just a continuation of that.

Great talk !! I completly share this point of view.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: October 12, 2010 20:42

Edith Grove
Funny this should come up now.

I was having a conversation with someone this morning about Keith's drug use.

Word.

I'm sure there were dozens of musicians who did more drugs than Richards. It's like with most things KR - blown up urban legends, rumors, hype and made up stuff. And it worked - for a while.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 12, 2010 20:49

Bliss
Pot, meet Kettle.

"Amy Winehouse and Pete take drugs for the same reasons we did," he told Anothermag.com. "All I'd say is take your drugs in your spare time, if that's what you want to do, but don't mix it up."

I don't think that is being hypocritical

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 12, 2010 20:59

I certainly don't know of the drug intake capabilities of various posters on this blog, but the idea that Keith Richards didn't take a lot of drugs, or had them all in check, is ridiculous. Only his celebrity, money, and personal constitution, kept him alive until the late 70s, when his '77 Toronto bust put him on a path of moderation (for him). In 1972 he was voted Next Rock Star to die. We don't know if he ever overdosed. Staying up nine days straight, which he admits too, is not healthy, or done with pinches of Peruvian marching dust.

Most drug users note that in the beginning, drugs inspire and enervate them. Over time the drugs take over and pull the user down. It's pretty obvious after 1973 that heroin took its toll on Keith's musicianship, and that it didn't recover until he tamped down the worst of it. It also seems Keith was privy to high quality, pharmaceutical H and coke, which might have prolonged his usage and skirted the usual overdose and other problems street drugs bring on. We know what unregulated gobbling of everything did to Brian. For all we know Brian was at the beginning of his own personal recovery when death intervened.

I'm not a big Pete Doherty fan, but it does hurt to see what the very talented Amy Winehouse let drugs do to her career.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2010 21:18

Doherty should give Keith some musical advice.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 12, 2010 21:22

TooTough
Doherty should give Keith some musical advice.

Judging by Keith's efforts of late, I'd say that's a blinding idea! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 12, 2010 21:26

Keith did say about drugs----something like, Just because you see a table full of food doesn't mean you have to eat it all!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2010 22:06

The old man shouldn´t give advice, he should pick up
that damn electric guitar and play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home