Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 9, 2010 02:48

I'm thoroughly enjoying the new Ronnie but I wish I hadn't read any of the many raves on this board, because it just doesn't live up to the hype for me. Very good album but hardly the masterpiece some seem to believe (imo, natch).

I find the idea that Mick and Keith would find "inspiration" in this record quaintly delusional.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:17

ChrisM
The relative merits of one album is not dependent on the other. Why did you start this thread?

The bottom line of this thread is to expose ABB for what it truly is, (my opinion of course) and that is an uninspired sub standard Rolling Stones album. Is it the worst album ever done? Of course not, just the worst album ever done by the Rolling Stones, (again, my opinion). Can they do better? I am predicting that Ronnie's latest is going to provide the motivation and inspiration that will re-kindle the creative fire that was lacking in both Mick and Keith last time out for ABB.

Date: October 9, 2010 03:32

Glam Descendant
I'm thoroughly enjoying the new Ronnie but I wish I hadn't read any of the many raves on this board, because it just doesn't live up to the hype for me. Very good album but hardly the masterpiece some seem to believe (imo, natch).

I find the idea that Mick and Keith would find "inspiration" in this record quaintly delusional.

Inspiration in the sense that it is going to fire up their competitive juices and motivate them to dig down deep and produce their best album in years. Ronnie's album is going to be just the "kick in the ass" these guys needed to get them jump started once again! Mick and Keith, not competitive? They may have lost their "eye of the tiger" for ABB, but they will soon have that look in their eye once again, thanks to Ronnie.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:33

stonescrow
Glam Descendant

Inspiration in the sense that it is going to fire up their competitive juices and motivate them to dig down deep and produce their best album in years. Ronnie's album is going to be just the "kick in the ass" these guys needed to get them jump started once again! Mick and Keith, not competitive? They may have lost their "eye of the tiger" for ABB, but they will soon have that look in their eye once again, thanks to Ronnie.

Wishful thinking, sorry.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:39

I bigger bang sucks so its easy to like any other album more. I havent listened to Ronnie's album, I hope it sucks less.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:43

Loudei - Again it is all a matter of personal opinion. i like it. Is it great? No, but its a solid album.

Date: October 9, 2010 03:47

Rockman
I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!

..........wait till the dust settles.....

Good point. If I had just done that with ABB. Could be the same for Ronnie's latest, just have to, like you say, wait till the dust settles.

Date: October 9, 2010 03:51

71Tele
Seriously, am I required to like either one? Or one over the other?

A stellar new Rolling Stones album would make everyone on either side of these arguments shut up for a while, but I am not counting on that happening.

71Tele,

Just curious, do you feel any differently today about ABB than you did when it was first released? I feel a little embarrassed today that I went so crazy over it when it was first released.

Date: October 9, 2010 04:00

Green Lady
For stonescrow, it is not enough for I Feel Like Playing to succeed. Other albums must be seen to fail.

I only want the Stones to succeed. Never want to see them fail. You will find that Ronnie's album will ultimately turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It is going to be the catalyst for the next great Rolling Stones album. A year from today all of us are going to beaming with pride, just you wait and see!

Date: October 9, 2010 04:02

stonescrow - I hope you are right but I am not holding my breath. Something just tells me they are not coming back.

Date: October 9, 2010 04:15

Ferret
Yeah, I don't find I Feel Like Playing to be particularly great music, but it's a really good, solid rock 'n' roll record, obviously with some decent excursions into other genres. Guitar playing's good throughout and frankly these days Ronnie sounds a lot less ridiculous than Mick's.

Typical, the underdog makes a record that tears apart the main band's one. Makes A Bigger Bang look like even more of a piece of shit.

Amazing sometimes how much drive and determination can be drawn up from being the underdog.

Date: October 9, 2010 04:24

slew
stonescrow - I hope you are right but I am not holding my breath. Something just tells me they are not coming back.

slew,

I have to admit that I often get that feeling myself, but I think that 50 year thing is what is going to drive them to give it another shot. Just hope they don't bite off more than they can chew.

Any chance you are a fan of the greatest all around (in the breeding shed and on the race track) thoroughbred in the history of thoroughbred racing? Seattle Slew, of course.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 9, 2010 05:30

stonescrow
71Tele
Seriously, am I required to like either one? Or one over the other?

A stellar new Rolling Stones album would make everyone on either side of these arguments shut up for a while, but I am not counting on that happening.

71Tele,

Just curious, do you feel any differently today about ABB than you did when it was first released? I feel a little embarrassed today that I went so crazy over it when it was first released.

Yes I do. I bought into the hype that this was a back-to-basics Stones album. I loved that Jagger played so many instruments on it. I was pretty quickly disappointed when I heard the actual songs, however, and it has not appeared very frequently on my CD player. I really wish it were the great album I wanted it to be.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: October 9, 2010 08:35

It's pretty insane if you are a Rolling Stones fan to say that Ronnie's album is better than 'A Bigger Bang'. Ronnie's album is just GOOD, not great but GOOD and fun. It is a surprise given his age and downward spiral than he had anything left in him, let alone something GOOD.

The only way this would inspire Mick or Keith is if they get jealous that Ronnie got an album out and they have not.

But say all that, I do think there's a vibe in the overall sound of "I feel Like Playing' that the Stones could benifit from. The Stones last few albums are too slick, and manufactured sounding. Ronnie's album sounds like a loose jamming party. This is much closer to how the Stones should sound.

So if they take anything from it I hope it's the recording of a live basic track or the jamming atmosphere or whatever loose vibe it is that Ronnie seems to take with him everywhere he goes.

I also think at this stage taking Ronnie's best ideas for songs would be a great thing to do. A couple of the songs on the new CD could have been Stones tracks with the others doing their thing . Keep in mind I said Ronnie's BEST ideas should be used or considered.

'Lucky Man', 'Catch you', and Maybe 'Sweetness my Weakness' and 'I don't think so' all would have been good starts for Mick and Keith to add their touch to.

But overall, the unforced production, and the unpretentious lryics and straigh ahead feel is what Mick and Keith should take away from this nice little album, if anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-09 08:45 by KeefintheNight82.

Date: October 9, 2010 16:02

Stonescrow - I am not, I got the nickname in high school. My last name is Lewis and my first nam e is Steve and it did stem a little from Seattle Slew because it was right around that time. My friends still call me that. I'm not a horse racing fan.

Date: October 10, 2010 04:30

slew
Stonescrow - I am not, I got the nickname in high school. My last name is Lewis and my first nam e is Steve and it did stem a little from Seattle Slew because it was right around that time. My friends still call me that. I'm not a horse racing fan.

Steve,

Cool nickname. Although you are not a fan of horse racing I think you might enjoy the Seattle Slew story, it is a very inspirational story and I am hoping that Clint Eastwood will someday do a movie about him. Clint lived up here in Seattle for awhile before he became a famous movie star. Clint was also an underdog of sorts just like Slew.

Date: October 10, 2010 14:49

Stonescrow - Liking history and all I'll look the story up. Thans!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 10, 2010 15:35

Yeah, but the real debate is whether Ronnie's new one is better than Mick Taylors's last solo album. Discuss...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 10, 2010 15:58

...only one clunker Fancy Pants on RW album. Otherwise its full of FU bar band bravado with a lot of soul sprinkled on top. ABB was paint by numbers and so much overblown hype...RW didn't re write R % R... he just gave it some kick..Lucky Man is killer.....you can play most of the record and not cringe....can't say the same about ABB

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 10, 2010 16:15

yeah well too bad nobody other than die hard stones fans will hear ronnies album

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 10, 2010 17:30

just listened to it and I don't really hear the hype. Kind of a snoozer, really. I'll give it another spin or two.

Date: October 11, 2010 14:51

melillo
yeah well too bad nobody other than die hard stones fans will hear ronnies album

At least it has entered the charts. #50 in Germany really isn't that bad.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 11, 2010 19:42

I don't know about ABB, but Ronnie's album is definitely better than the "new" material on Disc 2 of Exile...

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: October 11, 2010 20:12

roundnround
I don't know about ABB, but Ronnie's album is definitely better than the "new" material on Disc 2 of Exile...
but is Ronnie's album better than Bach's Violin Concerto in A minor? i think not.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 11, 2010 20:15

bernardanderson
roundnround
but is Ronnie's album better than Bach's Violin Concerto in A minor? i think not.

good point - and Bach didn't even use keltner on drums

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: October 11, 2010 20:51

stonescrow
All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

How do you know your not doing the same thing again with Ronnie's album, because it's "not that bad", "it's not great, but a lot better than I expected", "it's a surprisingly solid effort", and all the other things people are saying about it?

I've listened to it online and thought the same. But just because something isn't as bad as what you were expecting, doesn't mean it's actually good. I find it amusing that so many on here are so ecstatic that Ronnie's album isn't the complete turd they thought it would be, and it has caused a mediocre record to become something more in their minds than it might normally be.

And probably temporarily. I question whether most will still be listening to it even a few months from now.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 11, 2010 21:03

bustedtrousers
stonescrow
All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

How do you know your not doing the same thing again with Ronnie's album, because it's "not that bad", "it's not great, but a lot better than I expected", "it's a surprisingly solid effort", and all the other things people are saying about it?

I've listened to it online and thought the same. But just because something isn't as bad as what you were expecting, doesn't mean it's actually good. I find it amusing that so many on here are so ecstatic that Ronnie's album isn't the complete turd they thought it would be, and it has caused a mediocre record to become something more in their minds than it might normally be.

And probably temporarily. I question whether most will still be listening to it even a few months from now.

it's all relative, ain't it?

and although i doubt i'll be listening much to it in a few weeks' time, i'm not sure that has much to do with anything. there's plenty of great music i don't listen much to, cos with so little time and so much great music to find and explore, there's precious little time to waste on stuff i already know....variety is the spice of life....

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 11, 2010 21:48

New album vs Old album : no contest! for awhile anyway

Date: October 12, 2010 05:06

bernardanderson
roundnround

Considering the fact that the two, (Bach and Wood) have performed together now for 35 plus years within the same musical context (same band) your comparison is perfectly acceptable, inevitable, (not stupid as some have suggested) especially considering this is a forum dedicated to discussion about one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands in the history of the planet.

Seriously, comparisons, (especially one of this nature) can ultimately prove to be quite beneficial, especially long term. What really matters here is not what you (or I) think, but rather what Keith and Mick think. If they feel, (as I, and many other Stones fans do) that Ronnie actually produced an album that is superior to their latest effort (speaking of ABcool smiley they will no doubt be "chomping at the bit" to get "back in the ring" and deliver "a knockout blow" (produce a great album that will stand the test of time). Yes, it is my firm belief that Ronnie's latest solo effort is going to be just the "kick in the ass" that the doctor ordered to motivate these guys to get back into the studio, dig down deep, and produce the kind of album they are capable of producing. If you think these guys (Mick and Keith) are not competitive, and that they are above their human nature, (including making comparisons) then you are mistaken, my opinion of course.

Date: October 12, 2010 10:15

I've had round 50 spins on Ronnie's album now. Still love it. Don't know if ABB have gotten 50 spins yet. That says something. Still, I find ABB a good album, but with far too many songs. Lots of good stuff in there.

However, the best tracks on ABB is nowhere near the quality of the best ones on IFLP: Why You Wanna..., Sweetness, I Gotta See, Catch You, I Don't Think So, Tell Me Something and Spoonful. In my opinion, of course.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home