Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: I Feel Like Playing vs A Bigger Bang: No Contest!
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 12, 2010 10:24

RW's albums are not masterpieces. But some of them are very nice rock albums, much better than KR's and MJ's (and of course any of MT's gem collection). This sounds very good and is probably one of his best. Lets wait till the dust settles.

i am one of those that appreciate ABB, i'm so sorry

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 12, 2010 15:13

IFLP is not a masterpiece indeed, but it has a certain freshness, Ronnie obviously wanted to play, ABB, even if it has some strong songs, at times sounds as if they had forced themselves to play.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 12, 2010 16:46

I find them to be very similar productions.

Both feature very essential instrumentation, a mix of genres, have an overall uptempo party mood (and part of the Cat dragged in solo).

Both are very good albums without being, or pretending to be, other than down to earth rock and roll.

Both have songs that could have been better constructed.

I bet both will be received the same way: first acclaimed for being the best thing recorded in years, and after some time trashed for being irrelevant and shallow.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-12 16:46 by liddas.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 12, 2010 16:48

stonescrow
All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

You know, I was playing Ronnie's album the other day and I was thinking the very same thing.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 12, 2010 17:57

liddas
I bet both will be received the same way: first acclaimed for being the best thing recorded in years, and after some time trashed for being irrelevant and shallow.

some of us beat the xmas rush with ABB and trashed it as shallow and irrelevant out of the gate. it's just easier that way, sometimes....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 12, 2010 18:33

T&A
liddas

some of us beat the xmas rush with ABB and trashed it as shallow and irrelevant out of the gate. it's just easier that way, sometimes....

I know, and I was surprised you didn't go the easy way this time!

C

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 12, 2010 19:01

liddas
T&A
liddas

I know, and I was surprised you didn't go the easy way this time!

C

well it's certainly IS ronnie's best record in 9 years, anyway...i think we can all agree with that....

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 12, 2010 22:44

bustedtrousers
stonescrow
All you ABB defenders/apologists should be running and looking for a rock to hide under! Shame on you! Shame on ME for ever thinking that ABB was even remotely close to an admirable piece of work. 'I Feel Like Playing' is certainly not a great album, but it certainly is far more listenable (enjoyable) than the dull/lackluster ABB. I hate to break the news but when compared to Ronnie's latest solo effort ABB is at best, a Big Dud! So stop fooling yourselves, I did!

The good news in all this is that if Mick and Keith have any pride left (and I am convinced they still do) they now have more than sufficient motivation/inspiration to produce the kind of album they are truly capable of making, one that we can all be proud of.

Time for the Glimmer Twins to consider Ronnie as a serious addition to their song writing partnership. After 35 years with the band (including his latest surprisingly good solo effort) don't you think he has at least earned a shot? I certainly think so.

How do you know your not doing the same thing again with Ronnie's album, because it's "not that bad", "it's not great, but a lot better than I expected", "it's a surprisingly solid effort", and all the other things people are saying about it?

I've listened to it online and thought the same. But just because something isn't as bad as what you were expecting, doesn't mean it's actually good. I find it amusing that so many on here are so ecstatic that Ronnie's album isn't the complete turd they thought it would be, and it has caused a mediocre record to become something more in their minds than it might normally be.

And probably temporarily. I question whether most will still be listening to it even a few months from now.

To be perfectly honest with you I think I really knew I didn't like ABB from the first listen, however, when you are rooting for something so hard, something that you had been anticipating with great expectation for some time it is easy to fall into a state of denial, at least that is what I think happened to me. With Ronnie's album I had no expectations whatsoever and being that he is my least favorite Rolling Stone there was nothing really at stake for me personally. With ABB I had been raving to all my friends (some Stones fans, others not) for months prior to it's release. When it finally was released I quickly assumed the position of defender/apologist as it seemed so many of my friends thought it to be uninspired, uninteresting, and forgettable. Of course I tried to convince them otherwise. That being said, there is definitely something to be said for letting the dust settle. so to speak, before we rush to judgment about anything.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home