Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Keith at NYC Public Library October 29
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 31, 2010 00:51

I was seated before the show when someone sat down in the empty seat next to me. It was a while before show time, and the guy turned around to speak to someone in the row right behind us. I overheard... he was talking about other artists/musicians that he liked and had come to hear talk at NYPL. One of the names he mentioned happened to be Lou Reed from The Velvet Underground. ( [www.nypl.org] )

A short time later, I was across the aisle talking to Cindy and WMiller. She said "You see that guy sitting alone on the end wearing the hooded sweatshirt? That's Lou Reed."

When I sat back down, I turned to the stranger sitting next to me. "I overheard you before, saying that you're a big Lou Reed fan," I said. "Well, someone just told me that that's actually Lou Reed sitting over there."

"Where?!" he asked. "In the front section?"

"No, right over there," I answered. "Head down... black hooded sweatshirt."

"You kidding? From the back, that doesn't look like Lou Reed!"

"Well, I'm just repeating what someone told me..."

"I have to go check!" he said standing up. He walked up the aisle toward the front. Then he turned and came back to his seat, having discreetly looked at the hunched, lonely-looking figure sitting in the aisle seat. "I can't believe it! That IS Lou Reed!" he exclaimed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 31, 2010 01:14

re: Lou Reed sleeping -- a few years ago I sat right behind him and the Belz at a movie theater in the Village. (Paths of Glory was the feature.... I missed my chance to break the ice with a joke about the line in "New Age.") I was stunned -- even more so when, not 5 minutes into the film, he fell asleep! At first, Belzer tried to nudged him awake, then let him nap for a while. Others have blogged about the same experience at separate events.

the biggest talk at the NYPL before this one was last year, the Velvet Underground, or at least Reed, Tucker, and Yule. So I imagine Lou got a special invite on the coattails of that event. I'm not surprised he didn't stay for the whole thing. We're talking about a peer of the Stones, not a fan. What more would he learn? keith's interviews are performances, as are Reed's, not genuine information events.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: October 31, 2010 02:26

I read something a while back that Lou suffers from type 2 diabetes, so if that's the case maybe the meds have side effects.

Date: October 31, 2010 02:30

I think I saw Ghandi sitting in the back row.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: October 31, 2010 02:22

to Swiss- re ticket price

A deal is perceived. If demand exceeds supply then the market will determine the value. So if you like the price of something based on how scarce the item is -its up to the individual to decide if he/she wants to pay the price.
Everything we buy gets MARKED UP to make a profit
Yes its a shame that there werent enough tix to go around.

Don't blame an enterprising individual who profited from his sale.

Profit IS NOT A DIRTY WORD.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 31, 2010 02:23

.......was he sipping urine during the talk?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 31, 2010 03:49

dennycranium

A deal is perceived. If demand exceeds supply then the market will determine the value. So if you like the price of something based on how scarce the item is -its up to the individual to decide if he/she wants to pay the price.

These tickets were not the re-sellers to make a profit on. They were issued by a nonprofit organization to benefit a library whose sole purpose is to meet the needs of and operate in the public interest. The interest of all, the demos--i.e., We, the People. Not intended to be a vehicle to shore up an individual's self-interest, or reward them for profiteering.

Date: October 31, 2010 03:59

Rockman

.......was he sipping urine during the talk?

no food or beverages were allowed inside the library...
but.. wait...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 31, 2010 04:05

Really kind of pisses me off to hear that most of the seats were reserved for VIP's. I mean it was an interview for fsake. Not a Stones show. Yet real fans get fleeced. I would love to hear some interviewer as Keith about the Stones business practices one of these days....Of course it would probably be the last question he ever asked and the poor soul wouldn't get awesome seats at the next show. Journalism my ass.thumbs down

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 31, 2010 05:02

cc
re: Lou Reed sleeping -- a few years ago I sat right behind him and the Belz at a movie theater in the Village. (Paths of Glory was the feature.... I missed my chance to break the ice with a joke about the line in "New Age.") I was stunned -- even more so when, not 5 minutes into the film, he fell asleep! At first, Belzer tried to nudged him awake, then let him nap for a while. Others have blogged about the same experience at separate events.

the biggest talk at the NYPL before this one was last year, the Velvet Underground, or at least Reed, Tucker, and Yule. So I imagine Lou got a special invite on the coattails of that event. I'm not surprised he didn't stay for the whole thing. We're talking about a peer of the Stones, not a fan. What more would he learn? keith's interviews are performances, as are Reed's, not genuine information events.

Great accounts all around. Thanks again, all!

And great Lou stories, cc, Cindy, and Schillid.

I saw Lou in maybe 2001 at the Knitting Factory in NYC. Was thrilled to have the chance to zoom up to NY from DC, where I lived, to catch Lou at a surprise show at a small venue.

He was a complete dick. He played with his back to us most of the time, and played songs we didn't know, and sounded like shit. At one point as people called out requests he wheeled around and said "Don't you know who I am? I'm a F U C K I N ' rock and roll ICON!! I'll play whatever I wanna play. These songs are from what's gonna be a new album. You people are my GUINNEA PIGS!" and turned his no-ass-stretched-out-darkgreen-leather-droopy-drawers on us again. At the end he tossed us a bone with Sweet Jane and Waiting on My Man, then stalked out scowling.

Lou Reed had been up there with Keith, for me until that point. In fact I always thought if there were anyone of that ilk who I randomly could meet at a bar and have a long conversation with it would be Lou Reed. After that....I appreciate some of his music, but Lou is a miserable son of a bitch who I don't think I would even talk to if he somehow were landed on a barstool next to me. (note: I don't actually go to bars looking for famous men to talk to winking smiley I don't even drink - but I came up with the idea 20 years ago, of "Say you're in Manhattan one night waiting out the time before you catch a train at a bar...what famous person would you most like to take the seat next to you?"

It's a good point that he and Keith are contemporaries, rather than friends.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-31 05:04 by swiss.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 31, 2010 05:18

A bit concerned about the signed books they gave out. I have not seen Keith sign his name like that in many years. I suspect publishers Autopen machine with a few templates, some including the "10" under his name.

Date: October 31, 2010 06:18

dennycranium

harangue over, we now return you to your regularly scheduled propaganda.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 31, 2010 08:42

i was there all day friday but did not get into the show.

i heard there were empty seats inside and the library refused to re-sell the tix because they had been "sold already and couldn't be resold". when i told them that plenty of venues do that he said "well it's not the way we decided to do it"

the only people selling tickets were library employees and there were only a couple to be had for multiple hundreds of dollars.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 31, 2010 09:58

for the record: i just heard from a friend who was in the sixth row, so it seems the whole front section was not actually "VIP seating".
i can imagine it looking that way to the people further back, though :E

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 31, 2010 10:13

Thanks for the reviews. Must have been great to be there.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 31, 2010 15:45

Just now getting the chance to chime in. My general observations...

-The seating was as I would have expected: reserved in front with the general audience towards the back. I was happy with my seats.
-I enjoyed meeting Schillid. The IORR T-shirt looks better in person than online. I'm even more regretful now that I didn't order one when given the opportunity. We also met a confessed IORR lurker who had flown in for the event who was very nice.
-Jimmy Fallon is taller than I thought; Lorne Michaels is shorter.
-Lou Reed seemed to just not be with it. Someone mentioned earlier that he's got type 2 diabetes. Maybe that's why. He was nice enough to sign an autograph for some guy who approached him with what appeared to be nothing more than a napkin and pen. I don't think he made it much further than Keith's intro though before he dozed off. He & Richard left during Keith's break.
-Richard Belzer went straight to the back of the book as if he was looking for something in particular.
-My first take on Theodora's "I love you, Daddy!" was that it was an attention seeking move. In retrospect, it was at a moment where Keith seemed to be stuck in thought and was having a little trouble getting words out, so I'll push my general cynical nature aside and accept that she was throwing him a lifeline.
-I thought it refreshing to hear Keith's thoughts on the social climate of the late 60's & early 70's, but would have liked for him to expand on those thoughts. Hopefully, he does that in the book.
-I'd love to know what prompted the impromptu break; bathroom or ciggarette? When he's gotta go, I guess he's gotta go!
-Seconding what Schillid has already written, Keith was about as generally affirmative as he could be in regards to plans for something for next year. He didn't specify what, but I took it to mean a tour, at the absolute least.

All in all, it was a fantastic event for which I'm extremely fortunate to have been a part.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 31, 2010 15:55

with sssoul
for the record: i just heard from a friend who was in the sixth row, so it seems the whole front section was not actually "VIP seating".
i can imagine it looking that way to the people further back, though :E

I was within the first 35-50 people admitted, and by then, every seat in the front section that wasn't being sat in had a reserved placard on it. There was a splattering of seats occupied, so it is posible that every seat wasn't reserved if we're being literal.

As I mentioned though, seating was as I expected (GA towards the back), so I was happy to be as close as I was.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 31, 2010 16:51

sweetcharmedlife
Really kind of pisses me off to hear that most of the seats were reserved for VIP's. I mean it was an interview for fsake. Not a Stones show. Yet real fans get fleeced. I would love to hear some interviewer as Keith about the Stones business practices one of these days....Of course it would probably be the last question he ever asked and the poor soul wouldn't get awesome seats at the next show. Journalism my ass.thumbs down

Well said

Date: October 31, 2010 17:16

sweetcharmedlife

what makes you think it was journalism? It was a paying crowd there to hear some stories recounted--most of which real fans have already heard many times over. This was a performance and publicity event for both the book and the venue.

Date: October 31, 2010 18:28

America is a FREE ENTERPRISE system. Thats what I admire about it. (I'm Canadian)

We ALL PROFITEER from our efforts- in our jobs we trade time for money. We mark up an hour of our time for a wage.

I have my own business- I sell blackberries, iphones etc. I sell my devices for more than I pay for them.

I'd like to point out that I'm generous with my profits regarding giving back to my community. I volunteer my time to causes I'm passionate about.

I agree with you that scalpers are probably the dark underside of the free enterprise system.
The non profit organisation was successful in its goal to support the NYC library. They SOLD all the tickets.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 31, 2010 19:53

dennycranium

The non profit organisation was successful in its goal to support the NYC library. They SOLD all the tickets.

Not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands, of $40 memberships they sold.

Date: October 31, 2010 20:08

fiftyamp
dennycranium

Well said!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2010 20:14

LESS BOOKS, MORE RIFF

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 31, 2010 22:24

dennycranium
fiftyamp
dennycranium

Well said!

they could've made even more money (and people happy) if they had sold the unclaimed tickets. it was like roseland ballroom all over again...

Date: October 31, 2010 23:43

little queenie
dennycranium
fiftyamp
dennycranium

Well said!

And people were pissed off with the scalpers? Come on-

they could've made even more money (and people happy) if they had sold the unclaimed tickets. it was like roseland ballroom all over again...

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 31, 2010 23:58

little queenie

they could've made even more money (and people happy) if they had sold the unclaimed tickets. it was like roseland ballroom all over again...[/quote]

That was really very mean-spirited of them, considering they reputedly made near enough half a million dollars from the pre-sale memberships. Really bad for devoted fans like LQ - and if she can't get into a gig, no one can.,,

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: November 1, 2010 08:46

Queenie, very sorry to hear you didn't get in. Honestly, it was cool, but you didn't really miss anything.

KR last nght at the library, pic
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 30, 2010 19:08

Re: KR last nght at the library, pic
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2010 19:38

ahh very nice - thanks! can you let us know who took it, please and thank you?

Re: KR last nght at the library, pic
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 30, 2010 19:42

He looks very old, doesn't he?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home