Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Keith at NYC Public Library October 29
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 29, 2010 03:06

marchbaby
Just answered an ad on Craiglist. 'jeffrey" wanted $200 for a NYPL Ticket.
I told him I wasn't willing to pay more than the NYPL price.

If I had an extra, I would n't be looking to make any profit!

$200 is very fair. I know a broker who sold a pair at $1500 per.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 29, 2010 07:53

fiftyamp

No, $200 isn't fair, let alone "very fair." Fair is the price on the ticket. $200 is opportunistic and profiteering. $1500 is grotesque...otoh, brokers are not only profiteers but bottom feeding parasitic scavenger a$$holes.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 29, 2010 12:05

swiss
fiftyamp

No, $200 isn't fair, let alone "very fair." Fair is the price on the ticket. $200 is opportunistic and profiteering. $1500 is grotesque...otoh, brokers are not only profiteers but bottom feeding parasitic scavenger a$$holes.

Hey Swiss ... you're a man/woman/person after my own heart, LOVE your words ............ "brokers are not only profiteers but bottom feeding parasitic scavenger a$$holes"

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:53

ACK!!!!!!!!!!
I'm completely giddy.

Sorry to keep posting all my emotions on here, but my real-life friends just don't understand why this is such an important thing.

They're seriously disillusioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-29 16:54 by CindyC.

Date: October 29, 2010 17:23

CindyC
ACK!!!!!!!!!!
I'm completely giddy.

Sorry to keep posting all my emotions on here, but my real-life friends just don't understand why this is such an important thing.

Hmm ... this is serious. The only solution is to dismiss them all from your life immediately, I suggest banishment to Salt Lake city where they might live happily ever after in Donny & Marie entertainment heaven instead !! Or failing that, exile to Guantanamo ... gotta do something with those few remaining vacant cells there !!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 29, 2010 19:42

CindyC
ACK!!!!!!!!!!
I'm completely giddy.

Yes,no one understands you better than your fake friends.LOL

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 30, 2010 02:15

paulywaul
swiss
fiftyamp

Hey Swiss ... you're a man/woman/person after my own heart, LOVE your words ............ "brokers are not only profiteers but bottom feeding parasitic scavenger a$$holes"

Woman smiling smiley "Person" also ok smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2010 02:16

CindyC
ACK!!!!!!!!!!
I'm completely giddy.

Hey Cindy C----you're unreal-life friends hereat iorr are excited for you! and will very much look forward to hearing all your stories! and you can go on and on and on and we'll ask for more smiling smiley

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:27

While I agree that scalping is out of order what about reverse scalping? Many of us have been in a situation where we have spare tickets when friends have dropped out and other 'fans' are happy to offer below face value for the spare ticket. Is this practise not also wrong?

I once committed to buy a $450 ticket from another fan for a tour opening show. On the morning of the show I got an even better hook up but still met the guy in the car park of the stadium, gave over my $450 and turned around to sell the ticket to someone for just $50.

I have helped many get tickets over the years and sadly while most come through and are extremely grateful for my efforts there are always some that use friends as easier options than ticketmaster (who don't give refunds) and think if they don't want to come at the last minute of get a better option they shouldn't have to pay for the ticket you have forked out for!

Date: October 30, 2010 05:58

Tweets on Keith thanks to a guy named tomwatson

1. For a rock star with a rep, Keith Richards came across as erudite, informed and kinda humble @nypl 7 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

2. Keith Richards on fame @nypl - 'I've sort of grown into it' and 'I'll be as famous as you like' about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

3. 'I found it very futille to write anything bad about women - it just doesn't swing' - Keith Richards @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

4. Keith on Mick - 'from my pov on the stage I'm watching Mick's ass' - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

5. Keith Richards on drug use @nypl - 'all my news is out of date' about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

6. 'You can't mention late 60s or early 70s in the U.Sm without one word - Vietnam' - Keith Richards @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

7. 'You didn't realize th depths of people's lives ... Till you saw the chain gangs' - Keith Richards on US segregation @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

8. 'They had weird laws' - Keith Richards on life outside the cities in early 60s USA - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

9. Keith Richards on blues legends - 'struck by their incredible humility, their humanity ... And they were tough guys' - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

10. 'I was brought up on American music without really knowing it' - Keith Richards on multiculturalism and USA - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

11. Keith Richards talks about his love of books and libraries in post-war England - 'there must be something else' @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

12. And here comes Keith Richards to the tune of 'Before They Make Me Run' - Keef! @nypl about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

13. Hey there's Lou Reed - he was a real prick to me at Max's back in '79 - here to see Keith Richards @nypl about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

14. 'Thru and Thru' - underrated classic - throbbing as we wait for Keith Richards @nypl - oh, there's Lorne Michaels and Jim Fallon about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

15. Waiting @nypl for Mr. Keith Richards about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:58

Cindy, are you back yet, or still in a swoon?

(from one of your imaginary friends...:-)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 30, 2010 06:22

swiss
Tweets on Keith thanks to a guy named tomwatson

1. For a rock star with a rep, Keith Richards came across as erudite, informed and kinda humble @nypl 7 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

2. Keith Richards on fame @nypl - 'I've sort of grown into it' and 'I'll be as famous as you like' about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

3. 'I found it very futille to write anything bad about women - it just doesn't swing' - Keith Richards @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

4. Keith on Mick - 'from my pov on the stage I'm watching Mick's ass' - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

5. Keith Richards on drug use @nypl - 'all my news is out of date' about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

6. 'You can't mention late 60s or early 70s in the U.Sm without one word - Vietnam' - Keith Richards @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

7. 'You didn't realize th depths of people's lives ... Till you saw the chain gangs' - Keith Richards on US segregation @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

8. 'They had weird laws' - Keith Richards on life outside the cities in early 60s USA - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

9. Keith Richards on blues legends - 'struck by their incredible humility, their humanity ... And they were tough guys' - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

10. 'I was brought up on American music without really knowing it' - Keith Richards on multiculturalism and USA - @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

11. Keith Richards talks about his love of books and libraries in post-war England - 'there must be something else' @nypl about 2 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

12. And here comes Keith Richards to the tune of 'Before They Make Me Run' - Keef! @nypl about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

13. Hey there's Lou Reed - he was a real prick to me at Max's back in '79 - here to see Keith Richards @nypl about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

14. 'Thru and Thru' - underrated classic - throbbing as we wait for Keith Richards @nypl - oh, there's Lorne Michaels and Jim Fallon about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

15. Waiting @nypl for Mr. Keith Richards about 3 hours ago via ÜberTwitter

That's a bloody waste of letters offa the online alphabet - save some for the twits in winter!

Date: October 30, 2010 06:27

open-g
That's a bloody waste of letters offa the online alphabet - save some for the twits in winter!

um...you're welcome?confused smiley

providing your comment meant thanks swiss for taking the time to track down and share the only account so far of what was actually going down at the NYPL event?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 06:29 by swiss.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 30, 2010 06:43

I was extremely lucky this evening...

I was able to finagle a ticket and got into the Keith Richards talk at NYPL.
Keith was funny and entertaining!

(I met CindyC and her boyfriend WMiller while waiting on line to get in.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-03 04:07 by schillid.

Date: October 30, 2010 06:46

Awesome -- good for you for somehow creatively snagging tkts (refinanced your mortgage and bought off eBay? winking smiley) -- thanks for posting!

Was Keith saying that some older fellows were into drugs and that's who turned on the innocent 19-20 yr old Stones backstage?

Would love to hear more about the event...the vibe, the crowd, did you have assigned seats, how fat in advance did people get there? were the front seats reserved for VIPs? etc.

thx again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 07:59 by swiss.

Date: October 30, 2010 06:46

swiss
open-g

um...you're welcome?confused smiley

providing your comment meant thanks swiss for taking the time to track down and share the only account so far of what was actually going down at the NYPL event?

Hey Swiss, honey. thank you indeed for keeping us updated with all the tweets.
the only thing is - I can't make no hide nor hair out of it.

still love your posts.
xxx

Date: October 30, 2010 06:55

Keith said that FOR SURE the Stones would be doing SOMETHING in 2011.

Date: October 30, 2010 07:00

Hey, Thank you Schillid
for giving us an impression of what it was like.
how long was it in all? did you get your book signed? did Cindy fling Erik's toe nails? will we ever hear from her again?

Date: October 30, 2010 07:18

Keith spoke for around an hour and a half.

Due the nature of my finagling, I was not able to get a book. From what I saw around me, everyone's book was individually and personally signed by Keith in advance.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: October 30, 2010 07:19

way-to-go SCHILLID.....

MORE MORE!!!!

Date: October 30, 2010 07:22

ALRIGHT ! SWISS....

and ofcourse the guy name tomwatson

Date: October 30, 2010 07:23

I only recorded that one part with my cell phone.

Date: October 30, 2010 07:33

schillid
I only recorded that one part with my cell phone.

none the less thanks for the glimmer

fantastic.

Date: October 30, 2010 08:19

open-g
Hey Swiss, honey. thank you indeed for keeping us updated with all the tweets.
the only thing is - I can't make no hide nor hair out of it.

still love your posts.
xxx

hi open-g,

thanks smiling smiley

So -- here's that guy's Tweets, reformatted and cleaned up, in order from when the Keith event started. He basically provided very abbreviated commentary on highlights as they were happening.

Waiting for Mr. Keith Richards
(about 3 hours ago)

"Thru and Thru" - underrated classic - throbbing as we wait for Keith Richards - oh, there"s Lorne Michaels and Jim Fallon
(about 3 hours ago)

Hey there"s Lou Reed - he was a real prick to me at Max"s back in '79 - here to see Keith Richards
(about 3 hours ago)

And here comes Keith Richards to the tune of "Before They Make Me Run" - Keef!
(about 3 hours ago)

Keith Richards talks about his love of books and libraries in post-war England - "there must be something else"
(about 2 hours ago)

"I was brought up on American music without really knowing it" - Keith Richards on multiculturalism and USA
(about 2 hours ago)

Keith Richards on blues legends - "struck by their incredible humility, their humanity ... And they were tough guys"
(about 2 hours ago)

"They had weird laws" - Keith Richards on life outside the cities in early 60s USA
(about 2 hours ago)

"You didn't realize the depths of people"s lives...til you saw the chain gangs" - Keith Richards on US segregation
(about 2 hours ago)

"You can"t mention late 60s or early 70s in the U.S without one word: Vietnam" - Keith Richards
(about 2 hours ago)

Keith Richards on drug use - "all my news is out of date"
(about 2 hours ago)

Keith on Mick - "from my pov on the stage I"m watching Mick"s ass"
(about 2 hours ago)

"I found it very futile to write anything bad about women - it just doesn"t swing" - Keith Richards
(about 2 hours ago)

Keith Richards on fame - "I've sort of grown into it" and "I'll be as famous as you like"
(about 2 hours ago)

For a rock star with a rep, Keith Richards came across as erudite, informed and kinda humble
(7 minutes ago)

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 12:05 by swiss.

Date: October 30, 2010 08:46

Post from jbirenz over at Shidobee

Shoil and I are just back from seeing Keef at the New York Public Library. Really enjoyed it.

Celebrity news first: We walked in with Steve Van Zandt, who had a brown shmata on his head and a long coat that looked like a Persian rug. Yes, he looked very cool. We sat 3 rows behind SVZ. Sitting next to SVZ was Lorne Michaels and Jimmy Fallon. Across the aisle from them was Patti Hansen, Theodora and Alexandra Richards, and their boyfriends. Front row center was Rusty Paul (Les Paul’s son). I was told Ronnie Spector was sitting in the front row, but we didn’t see her. James Fox (co-author of Life) was in the 3rd row. Various Stones people were there – Shelley Lazar had about 75 seats reserved, Michael Cohl sat immediately in front of Shirley, afterwards we saw the guy who ran security at the B-stage at the Stones’ shows.

Paul Holdengraber, the Library’s Director of Public Programs, made an excellent, substantive introduction – funny, and a great lead-in to the talk. Among other things, he talked about Keith’s love of libraries as “of the people”.

When we walked in, we were each given a copy of Life signed by Keith. The book flap has a printed Keith signature; our books also had original signatures with the notation “’10” on the blank page before the title page. After the talk we got James Fox to autograph our copies of the book too. Fox was very gracious and seemed very pleased by the attention and respect, and spent time talking with people.

The talk was an hour long. Anthony DeCurtis is an excellent interviewer – he asked well formed, interesting questions, all asking Keith to take off on things he said in the book. He knew exactly when to stop talking/asking as Keith started to talk (he never talked over Keith), and knew how to jump in with a follow up or new question without stumbling if Keith stopped talking. He interviewed Keith without notes.

Keith was pretty articulate. A little hard to understand at times, but far better than I expected. Keith came across as very down-to-earth, friendly, thoughtful, even serious. Shirley thinks he’s making a conscious effort to revise his legacy to one who is thoughtful and caring, and not as a drunken, slobbering fool. He was interesting to listen to, and of course the audience was full of adoring fans (including us).

However, most of Keith’s answers were pretty short, and he wasn’t as expository as I’ve heard in some of the recent interviews he’s been giving in support of his book. He didn’t tell any stories, and never really went into depth on anything. That was disappointing. For example, DeCurtis asked Keith to talk about the process of writing a song, with Mick, others, and by himself, and while Keith gave an interesting response that what he enjoyed most was the collaboration with another person (he said the same thing about playing guitar in performance – he most enjoys playing off the other guitarist and other musicians and seeing where the music goes, which he described as “weaving”, and he never gets bored on stage), he never actually talked about the process of writing music – something I would be fascinated to hear about.

Still, lots of interesting stuff, and I enjoyed listening to Keith talk. I don’t know how much of these things he said in other interviews, or whether DeCurtis drew them out of him. Some examples:

Keith worshipped American blues musicians (we know that). He and the Stones thought that they were evangelizing for the music, and indeed found it strange (but fulfilling) that they served the role of bringing American music back to Americans. They realized this when, after getting the opportunity to meet and talk with American blues musicians, the musicians told them that they were basically unknown in America, and yet the songs of the Stones based on their music was popular.

Keith loved American blues because the songs were about real life, and the songs had feeling – as opposed to European music, which Keith said was exemplified by the Polka and a song about liking a blue toothbrush (I don’t know if he was referring to a real song or making up a silly song for emphasis).

The Stones and the Beatles were not in competition. Rather, they cooperated with each other, even sometimes coordinating the release of singles so as not to interfere with each other (I think I heard that right).

Keith learned to use drugs from other musicians. He would ask them how they coped with the pressure, the touring, the constant need to be on, and they told him drugs were the way, and he just fell into it. It’s been 30 years since he was a junkie, and all of his drug knowledge is “out of date”.

Keith said he didn’t want to talk about drugs much, and at one point one of his daughters yelled out “I love you Daddy”. In the middle of the drugs discussion, I think a few moments after Keith mentioned that a lot of drug action took place backstage, Keith suddenly said that he needs to get off the stage for a moment, and he got up and walked off. He returned (to much applause) I think barely a minute later – hardly enough time to get to a bathroom and pee. I don’t know whether that was a joke or not.

Keith also said that he didn’t want to talk about women either. He did remark that he thinks it best not to say anything bad about women – there’s nothing to be gained by it.

Keith talked about growing up in the wake of WWII, when much of England was in ruins, and thinking that was normal, and his pleasure at learning that it was not the normal things are. He also talked about how important libraries are (or were), including in helping him realize that there was more to life and the world than what he saw in post-war England.. Keith thought it was a blast that he has a book that is now in libraries.

Keith did not badmouth Mick at all. He called him the best frontman ever, and mentioned that some of the songs he wrote were written specifically for Mick to sing (citing Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter – that’s what he said).

DeCurtis suggested that 1968-72 was an “innocent” time for the Stones. I expected Keith to disagree with that based on the Stones debauchery of that time, but instead Keith said you cannot talk about that period without mentioning “one word – Vietnam”, and he talked about the effect of Vietnam on society and on individual people.

On family, Keith talked about how having children forces you to be responsible, because before one has children no one else is dependent on you (not really true, of course), but little children are totally dependent on you. He said he is very thankful that his family has stuck “together”.

2 of the 3 greatest moments in his musical life: the first time they recorded in a studio (and got paid for it), and their first concert in America, at the Academy of Music in New York. The 3rd thing has not happened yet.

DeCurtis’ last question to Keith was about his “other family”. Keith said that he is continually pushing the Stones to do things, and that we can expect to see something next year (the way he said it, it implied studio work and live performances). (Afterwards Shirley mentioned to Michael Cohl that he’s going to be very busy.)

There was no opportunity for Q&A from the audience.

Thank you, jbirenz!

Date: October 30, 2010 09:06

copsnrobbers
ALRIGHT ! SWISS....

and ofcourse the guy name tomwatson

Thanks smiling smiley I wonder whether tomwatson is a major fan or simply likes to tweet a lot. Either way, our gain!

Date: October 30, 2010 11:16

swiss
Post from jbirenz over at Shidobee

Shoil and I are just back from seeing Keef at the New York Public Library. Really enjoyed it.

Celebrity news first: We walked in with Steve Van Zandt, who had a brown shmata on his head and a long coat that looked like a Persian rug. Yes, he looked very cool. We sat 3 rows behind SVZ. Sitting next to SVZ was Lorne Michaels and Jimmy Fallon. Across the aisle from them was Patti Hansen, Theodora and Alexandra Richards, and their boyfriends. Front row center was Rusty Paul (Les Paul’s son). I was told Ronnie Spector was sitting in the front row, but we didn’t see her. James Fox (co-author of Life) was in the 3rd row. Various Stones people were there – Shelley Lazar had about 75 seats reserved, Michael Cohl sat immediately in front of Shirley, afterwards we saw the guy who ran security at the B-stage at the Stones’ shows.

Paul Holdengraber, the Library’s Director of Public Programs, made an excellent, substantive introduction – funny, and a great lead-in to the talk. Among other things, he talked about Keith’s love of libraries as “of the people”.

When we walked in, we were each given a copy of Life signed by Keith. The book flap has a printed Keith signature; our books also had original signatures with the notation “’10” on the blank page before the title page. After the talk we got James Fox to autograph our copies of the book too. Fox was very gracious and seemed very pleased by the attention and respect, and spent time talking with people.

The talk was an hour long. Anthony DeCurtis is an excellent interviewer – he asked well formed, interesting questions, all asking Keith to take off on things he said in the book. He knew exactly when to stop talking/asking as Keith started to talk (he never talked over Keith), and knew how to jump in with a follow up or new question without stumbling if Keith stopped talking. He interviewed Keith without notes.

Keith was pretty articulate. A little hard to understand at times, but far better than I expected. Keith came across as very down-to-earth, friendly, thoughtful, even serious. Shirley thinks he’s making a conscious effort to revise his legacy to one who is thoughtful and caring, and not as a drunken, slobbering fool. He was interesting to listen to, and of course the audience was full of adoring fans (including us).

However, most of Keith’s answers were pretty short, and he wasn’t as expository as I’ve heard in some of the recent interviews he’s been giving in support of his book. He didn’t tell any stories, and never really went into depth on anything. That was disappointing. For example, DeCurtis asked Keith to talk about the process of writing a song, with Mick, others, and by himself, and while Keith gave an interesting response that what he enjoyed most was the collaboration with another person (he said the same thing about playing guitar in performance – he most enjoys playing off the other guitarist and other musicians and seeing where the music goes, which he described as “weaving”, and he never gets bored on stage), he never actually talked about the process of writing music – something I would be fascinated to hear about.

Still, lots of interesting stuff, and I enjoyed listening to Keith talk. I don’t know how much of these things he said in other interviews, or whether DeCurtis drew them out of him. Some examples:

Keith worshipped American blues musicians (we know that). He and the Stones thought that they were evangelizing for the music, and indeed found it strange (but fulfilling) that they served the role of bringing American music back to Americans. They realized this when, after getting the opportunity to meet and talk with American blues musicians, the musicians told them that they were basically unknown in America, and yet the songs of the Stones based on their music was popular.

Keith loved American blues because the songs were about real life, and the songs had feeling – as opposed to European music, which Keith said was exemplified by the Polka and a song about liking a blue toothbrush (I don’t know if he was referring to a real song or making up a silly song for emphasis).

The Stones and the Beatles were not in competition. Rather, they cooperated with each other, even sometimes coordinating the release of singles so as not to interfere with each other (I think I heard that right).

Keith learned to use drugs from other musicians. He would ask them how they coped with the pressure, the touring, the constant need to be on, and they told him drugs were the way, and he just fell into it. It’s been 30 years since he was a junkie, and all of his drug knowledge is “out of date”.

Keith said he didn’t want to talk about drugs much, and at one point one of his daughters yelled out “I love you Daddy”. In the middle of the drugs discussion, I think a few moments after Keith mentioned that a lot of drug action took place backstage, Keith suddenly said that he needs to get off the stage for a moment, and he got up and walked off. He returned (to much applause) I think barely a minute later – hardly enough time to get to a bathroom and pee. I don’t know whether that was a joke or not.

Keith also said that he didn’t want to talk about women either. He did remark that he thinks it best not to say anything bad about women – there’s nothing to be gained by it.

Keith talked about growing up in the wake of WWII, when much of England was in ruins, and thinking that was normal, and his pleasure at learning that it was not the normal things are. He also talked about how important libraries are (or were), including in helping him realize that there was more to life and the world than what he saw in post-war England.. Keith thought it was a blast that he has a book that is now in libraries.

Keith did not badmouth Mick at all. He called him the best frontman ever, and mentioned that some of the songs he wrote were written specifically for Mick to sing (citing Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter – that’s what he said).

DeCurtis suggested that 1968-72 was an “innocent” time for the Stones. I expected Keith to disagree with that based on the Stones debauchery of that time, but instead Keith said you cannot talk about that period without mentioning “one word – Vietnam”, and he talked about the effect of Vietnam on society and on individual people.

On family, Keith talked about how having children forces you to be responsible, because before one has children no one else is dependent on you (not really true, of course), but little children are totally dependent on you. He said he is very thankful that his family has stuck “together”.

2 of the 3 greatest moments in his musical life: the first time they recorded in a studio (and got paid for it), and their first concert in America, at the Academy of Music in New York. The 3rd thing has not happened yet.

DeCurtis’ last question to Keith was about his “other family”. Keith said that he is continually pushing the Stones to do things, and that we can expect to see something next year (the way he said it, it implied studio work and live performances). (Afterwards Shirley mentioned to Michael Cohl that he’s going to be very busy.)

There was no opportunity for Q&A from the audience.

Thank you, jbirenz!

Thank you for posting this, fascinating

Keith event at NYPL today
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: October 29, 2010 14:07

So I guess Live @ NYPL means business, there will be no live viewing online of this event?

Would love to be able to stream this.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 30, 2010 13:31

Thanks for the reports! Was this being filmed at all? Some of the interview sounds similar to what he said on the BBC Culture Show. First newspaper off the mark with a report seems to be the New York Post:

[www.nypost.com]

Keith’s a real library card
By DAN AQUILANTE
Last Updated: 4:43 AM, October 30, 2010
Posted: 12:07 AM, October 30, 2010
Getting satisfaction at the New York Public Library was a whole lot easier last night when legendary rock god Keith Richards dropped into the main branch on Fifth Avenue to talk about his just-released autobiography, “Life.”

As if he needed street cred on the literary front, the 66-year-old co-founder of the Rolling Stones in his deep rumble confided to the audience of 500, “I love libraries. They’re places where you want to obey the laws — even the ones about silence.”

Then, as if he felt it necessary that he live up to his rebel image, the legendary guitarist added, “I still owe fines on overdue books from 50 years ago.”

That’s the way it went at this event, which sold out in a record 43 seconds.

Hosted by music commentator Anthony DeCurtis, the evening was presented in a conversational format where Richards joked and didn’t smoke as he recalled his life and times.

Slouching in a high-backed bishop’s chair, leather-faced Richards, known for his drinking and drugging over the last 40 years, reminisced with remarkable clarity, although he was evasive when it came to delicate subjects such as Mick Jagger.

In his book, Richards is tough on Jagger, saying Mick has a major case of egomaniac. Last night, Richards was kind.

“Mick and I shared a burning interest in the blues and we were amazed we found each other,” Keith recalled. “In those early days, we were so idealistic.”

When DeCurtis asked the guitarist about his use of drugs, Richards told the crowd “they seep into your life.” A moment later he said, “I need to take a break.”

When Richards returned to the stage within two minutes, DeCurtis immediately returned to the subject.

Despite his discomfort, Richards, who hasn’t been a junkie for 30 years, said “all my news about drugs is out of date.”

There was almost zero acid in anything Richards said.

About the Beatles vs. the Stones rivalry, he revealed: “I never felt the competition, I felt camaraderie.”

“The Beatles,” he explained, “were primarily a vocal group where either Paul or John took the lead. The Stones were more instrumental and we had one frontman, and he was the best.”

Yet while Keith never spoke about wild rumors from the ‘80s, like his heading to Switzerland to get total transfusions from the blood of teenagers or more recently that he snorted the ashes of his cremated father, he did say the one thing that most of the fans in the room wanted to hear.

When asked about the possibility of a new Rolling Stones record and supporting tour, Richards was quick to reply, “I’ll do my best to chat the guys into it, I think there’ll be something next year.”

Date: October 30, 2010 14:05

<<< When asked about the possibility of a new Rolling Stones record and supporting tour, Richards was quick to reply, “I’ll do my best to chat the guys into it, I think there’ll be something next year.” >>>

Way to go KR ... way to go. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (man doing cartwheels) !!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home