Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
Re: Keith at NYC Public Library October 29
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2010 17:10

wow way cool that you got to go, schillid! and thanks for the clip

Date: October 30, 2010 17:13

and for other folks who find lengthy italics way too hard to read:
(courtesy of jbirenz over at Shidobee, via swiss here on iorr)

Shoil and I are just back from seeing Keef at the New York Public Library. Really enjoyed it.

Celebrity news first: We walked in with Steve Van Zandt, who had a brown shmata on his head and a long coat that looked like a Persian rug. Yes, he looked very cool. We sat 3 rows behind SVZ. Sitting next to SVZ was Lorne Michaels and Jimmy Fallon. Across the aisle from them was Patti Hansen, Theodora and Alexandra Richards, and their boyfriends. Front row center was Rusty Paul (Les Paul’s son). I was told Ronnie Spector was sitting in the front row, but we didn’t see her. James Fox (co-author of Life) was in the 3rd row. Various Stones people were there – Shelley Lazar had about 75 seats reserved, Michael Cohl sat immediately in front of Shirley, afterwards we saw the guy who ran security at the B-stage at the Stones’ shows.

Paul Holdengraber, the Library’s Director of Public Programs, made an excellent, substantive introduction – funny, and a great lead-in to the talk. Among other things, he talked about Keith’s love of libraries as “of the people”.

When we walked in, we were each given a copy of Life signed by Keith. The book flap has a printed Keith signature; our books also had original signatures with the notation “’10” on the blank page before the title page. After the talk we got James Fox to autograph our copies of the book too. Fox was very gracious and seemed very pleased by the attention and respect, and spent time talking with people.

The talk was an hour long. Anthony DeCurtis is an excellent interviewer – he asked well formed, interesting questions, all asking Keith to take off on things he said in the book. He knew exactly when to stop talking/asking as Keith started to talk (he never talked over Keith), and knew how to jump in with a follow up or new question without stumbling if Keith stopped talking. He interviewed Keith without notes.

Keith was pretty articulate. A little hard to understand at times, but far better than I expected. Keith came across as very down-to-earth, friendly, thoughtful, even serious. Shirley thinks he’s making a conscious effort to revise his legacy to one who is thoughtful and caring, and not as a drunken, slobbering fool. He was interesting to listen to, and of course the audience was full of adoring fans (including us).

However, most of Keith’s answers were pretty short, and he wasn’t as expository as I’ve heard in some of the recent interviews he’s been giving in support of his book. He didn’t tell any stories, and never really went into depth on anything. That was disappointing. For example, DeCurtis asked Keith to talk about the process of writing a song, with Mick, others, and by himself, and while Keith gave an interesting response that what he enjoyed most was the collaboration with another person (he said the same thing about playing guitar in performance – he most enjoys playing off the other guitarist and other musicians and seeing where the music goes, which he described as “weaving”, and he never gets bored on stage), he never actually talked about the process of writing music – something I would be fascinated to hear about.

Still, lots of interesting stuff, and I enjoyed listening to Keith talk. I don’t know how much of these things he said in other interviews, or whether DeCurtis drew them out of him. Some examples:

Keith worshipped American blues musicians (we know that). He and the Stones thought that they were evangelizing for the music, and indeed found it strange (but fulfilling) that they served the role of bringing American music back to Americans. They realized this when, after getting the opportunity to meet and talk with American blues musicians, the musicians told them that they were basically unknown in America, and yet the songs of the Stones based on their music was popular.

Keith loved American blues because the songs were about real life, and the songs had feeling – as opposed to European music, which Keith said was exemplified by the Polka and a song about liking a blue toothbrush (I don’t know if he was referring to a real song or making up a silly song for emphasis).

The Stones and the Beatles were not in competition. Rather, they cooperated with each other, even sometimes coordinating the release of singles so as not to interfere with each other (I think I heard that right).

Keith learned to use drugs from other musicians. He would ask them how they coped with the pressure, the touring, the constant need to be on, and they told him drugs were the way, and he just fell into it. It’s been 30 years since he was a junkie, and all of his drug knowledge is “out of date”.

Keith said he didn’t want to talk about drugs much, and at one point one of his daughters yelled out “I love you Daddy”. In the middle of the drugs discussion, I think a few moments after Keith mentioned that a lot of drug action took place backstage, Keith suddenly said that he needs to get off the stage for a moment, and he got up and walked off. He returned (to much applause) I think barely a minute later – hardly enough time to get to a bathroom and pee. I don’t know whether that was a joke or not.

Keith also said that he didn’t want to talk about women either. He did remark that he thinks it best not to say anything bad about women – there’s nothing to be gained by it.

Keith talked about growing up in the wake of WWII, when much of England was in ruins, and thinking that was normal, and his pleasure at learning that it was not the normal things are. He also talked about how important libraries are (or were), including in helping him realize that there was more to life and the world than what he saw in post-war England.. Keith thought it was a blast that he has a book that is now in libraries.

Keith did not badmouth Mick at all. He called him the best frontman ever, and mentioned that some of the songs he wrote were written specifically for Mick to sing (citing Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter – that’s what he said).

DeCurtis suggested that 1968-72 was an “innocent” time for the Stones. I expected Keith to disagree with that based on the Stones debauchery of that time, but instead Keith said you cannot talk about that period without mentioning “one word – Vietnam”, and he talked about the effect of Vietnam on society and on individual people.

On family, Keith talked about how having children forces you to be responsible, because before one has children no one else is dependent on you (not really true, of course), but little children are totally dependent on you. He said he is very thankful that his family has stuck “together”.

2 of the 3 greatest moments in his musical life: the first time they recorded in a studio (and got paid for it), and their first concert in America, at the Academy of Music in New York. The 3rd thing has not happened yet.

DeCurtis’ last question to Keith was about his “other family”. Keith said that he is continually pushing the Stones to do things, and that we can expect to see something next year (the way he said it, it implied studio work and live performances). (Afterwards Shirley mentioned to Michael Cohl that he’s going to be very busy.)

There was no opportunity for Q&A from the audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 19:39 by with sssoul.

Date: October 30, 2010 17:19

>> a song about liking a blue toothbrush (I don’t know if he was referring to a real song or making up a silly song for emphasis) <<

by the way, if anyone else is unsure: yeah there really was a pop tune called
I'm a Pink Toothbrush, You're a Blue Toothbrush ... or vice versa, maybe - but it really existed

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 30, 2010 17:44

mattleeuk
While I agree that scalping is out of order what about reverse scalping? Many of us have been in a situation where we have spare tickets when friends have dropped out and other 'fans' are happy to offer below face value for the spare ticket. Is this practise not also wrong?

I once committed to buy a $450 ticket from another fan for a tour opening show. On the morning of the show I got an even better hook up but still met the guy in the car park of the stadium, gave over my $450 and turned around to sell the ticket to someone for just $50.

I have helped many get tickets over the years and sadly while most come through and are extremely grateful for my efforts there are always some that use friends as easier options than ticketmaster (who don't give refunds) and think if they don't want to come at the last minute of get a better option they shouldn't have to pay for the ticket you have forked out for!

I'd rather keep my spare ticket rather than selling it for 20£ to somebody who doesn't want to pay face value.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 30, 2010 18:07

Thanks to Swiss for the updates and schillid for his first hand account.smiling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 30, 2010 18:43

I just need to say... Keeeef, Keeeef

Sorry, I had a small madness. smileys with beer

Re: Keith event at NYPL today
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 30, 2010 19:32

marchbaby
So I guess Live @ NYPL means business, there will be no live viewing online of this event?

Would love to be able to stream this.

There were two or three video cameras.. This event was recorded.
I asked one of the guys at the AV console, and I was told that Keith's library talk would eventually be posted on NYPL's website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 19:38 by schillid.

Date: October 30, 2010 19:38

with sssoul
wow way cool that you got to go, schillid! and thanks for the clip

smileys with beer

I had brought my son's little pocket-sized camcorder with me. But it malfunctioned for some reason. Which is just as well... because I have found that it's difficult to enjoy the event and pay attention if I am busy recording an event on video.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 30, 2010 19:43

with sssoul
Keith did not badmouth Mick at all. He called him the best frontman ever, and mentioned that some of the songs he wrote were written specifically for Mick to sing (citing Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter – that’s what he said).

Why "specifically" written for Mick to sing? Mick is the singer, so of course they are written for Mick to sing. Wasn´t Midnight Rambler the song that they both wrote together in Positano?

Date: October 30, 2010 19:47

swiss
how fat in advance did people get there?

Most of the people: not very fat.
I am not sure about afterwards.

swiss
were the front seats reserved for VIPs? etc.

thx again!

smileys with beer

Yes, front half of the room was reserved for VIP's. Cindy pointed out a nondescript Lou Reed sitting alone and unnoticed with his head down. He was soon joined by comedian/actor Belzer.

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: October 30, 2010 20:03

He spoke for an hour on the dot, (including his impropmtu break...), not 90 min. What a wonderful evening it was....

Date: October 30, 2010 20:08

elunsi
with sssoul

Why "specifically" written for Mick to sing? Mick is the singer, so of course they are written for Mick to sing. Wasn´t Midnight Rambler the song that they both wrote together in Positano?

just to make sure it's clear: i'm not the author of that post - someone on shidoobee wrote it

Date: October 30, 2010 20:11

schillid
front half of the room was reserved for VIP's

so there were about what - 10 rows of seats? and was it GA or assigned seating?
for those not designated as VIPs, i mean

Date: October 30, 2010 20:20

He spoke for an hour on the dot, (including his impropmtu break...), not 90 min. What a wonderful evening it was....

ok... 60 minutes, not 90. I didn't check my watch.

with sssoul
so there were about what - 10 rows of seats? and was it GA or assigned seating?
for those not designated as VIPs, i mean

I'd guess it was more like 20 rows in all... with an aisle across separating front half (for the VIPs) from the back; and also an aisle up the middle dividing left from right.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 30, 2010 20:30

with sssoul
elunsi
with sssoul

just to make sure it's clear:
i'm not the author of that post - someone on shidoobee wrote it

Yes, I know that. The question was not specifically directed towards you. I don´t understand why Keith says "written for Mick to sing". What else?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 30, 2010 20:37

I wanted to watch the clip that was posted and Youtube says "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement". Jesus Christ...Thanks for posting it anyway.

Date: October 30, 2010 20:43

elunsi
Yes, I know that. The question was not specifically directed towards you. I don´t understand why Keith says "written for Mick to sing". What else?

i hope someone who was there can elucidate on why Keith was discussing writing songs for Mick to sing as opposed to writing for himself.

and schillid, thanks for the details. was it GA, or were the seats assigned? [passing wasabi-coated peas]

Date: October 30, 2010 20:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 21:13 by schillid.

Date: October 30, 2010 20:50

with sssoul
schillid... was it GA, or were the seats assigned?

GA

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 30, 2010 21:25

Here's some shot's from the NYPL's Facebook:

[www.facebook.com]

Great night all around. Beautiful room, and Keith was brilliant. At one point during Keith's talk, one of his daughters yelled out "I love you Daddy!', and Keith was obviously touched. The seating wasn't really GA. the front 2/3's of the house were reserved. The MFing Ticket Queen doled out the seats, and was kind enough to hook me up with two up front. Thanks Shelly! A signed first edition was a nice surprise!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 30, 2010 21:27

Has anybody heard from Cindy yet? Has their been any reports of a crazed Boston area woman desperately clinging to Keith Richards leg screaming I wasn't looking to good but I was feeling real well?winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 30, 2010 21:35

fiftyamp
The seating wasn't really GA. the front 2/3's of the house were reserved.

I saw the signs on many of the chairs' backs that read "Reserved" ...
I wouldn't know if those seats were specifically assigned or not.

Date: October 30, 2010 21:47

sweetcharmedlife
Has anybody heard from Cindy yet? Has their been any reports of a crazed Boston area woman desperately clinging to Keith Richards leg screaming I wasn't looking to good but I was feeling real well?winking smiley

CC and WM are probably sleeping late today after a very late trip from NYC back to Bean-town.

For me, last night was one of those times when you finally get meet someone in person, and discover that person is even prettier in person than you'd imagined. And Cindy is pretty cute too.

Date: October 30, 2010 21:48

fiftyamp
Here's some shot's from the NYPL's Facebook: [www.facebook.com]

thank you fiftyamp! and schillid ... unfortunate about your tube - my sympathies! hope it works out

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 30, 2010 22:21

elunsi
with sssoul
elunsi
with sssoul

just to make sure it's clear:
i'm not the author of that post - someone on shidoobee wrote it

I remember Mick told the story behind Midnight Rambler in interview with J.Wenner, in Rolling Stone 1995, that they wrote it together in Positano , Keith played guitar, Mick played harp,and they did all of the changes there. He told smth. like Why we had to write such dark song in this beautiful and sunny place I really don't know
And now it's Keith's song he wrote to Mick to sing. I guess Sympathy to the Devil or You can't always get what you want or Brown Sugar and all of them are the songs that Mick only filled in the lines

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 30, 2010 23:03

I'm back and just so happy! I feel extremely privileged to have been there as did everyone else who I spoke to. I didn't take notes and I would probably screw up the quotes if I gave them from memory, so I will leave that job up to others or the press.

The room was smaller than expected which was a nice surprise. The whole front section was reserved as were the first 2.5 rows of the second section. We noticed Lou Reed's name on a chair in the row ahead of ours, but I was still surprised when THE actual Lou Reed showed up. I'm not sure why he was there actually. He looked his usual miserable self. Richard Belzer showed up a few minutes after and it appeared he was Lou's guest. Richard seemed genuinely glad to be there. Laughing at things that were said, taking photos on his phone, etc. Lou opened his book almost immediately and was reading the blurbs next to the photos even while the interview was going on. I'm not sure if he clapped when Keith came out, laughed at anything that was said or what. The next time I noticed him, he wasn't even looking towards the stage. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or just busy reading the book on his lap (it seemed more like he was sleeping though). He stayed that way for some time until eventually Keith took an unexpected quick break, then he and Belzer left and didn't come back. Lou looked like shit too, not sure if he was on something (or off something for that matter) just seemed a bit off. What a waste! Some real Keith fan would have killed for that opportunity, it made me mad to see him sitting there like such a miserable bastard.

More shortly....

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-30 23:11 by CindyC.

Date: October 31, 2010 00:07

CindyC
I'm back and just so happy! I feel extremely privileged to have been there as did everyone else who I spoke to. I didn't take notes and I would probably screw up the quotes if I gave them from memory, so I will leave that job up to others or the press.

The room was smaller than expected which was a nice surprise. The whole front section was reserved as were the first 2.5 rows of the second section. We noticed Lou Reed's name on a chair in the row ahead of ours, but I was still surprised when THE actual Lou Reed showed up. I'm not sure why he was there actually. He looked his usual miserable self. Richard Belzer showed up a few minutes after and it appeared he was Lou's guest. Richard seemed genuinely glad to be there. Laughing at things that were said, taking photos on his phone, etc. Lou opened his book almost immediately and was reading the blurbs next to the photos even while the interview was going on. I'm not sure if he clapped when Keith came out, laughed at anything that was said or what. The next time I noticed him, he wasn't even looking towards the stage. I couldn't tell if he was sleeping or just busy reading the book on his lap (it seemed more like he was sleeping though). He stayed that way for some time until eventually Keith took an unexpected quick break, then he and Belzer left and didn't come back. Lou looked like shit too, not sure if he was on something (or off something for that matter) just seemed a bit off. What a waste! Some real Keith fan would have killed for that opportunity, it made me mad to see him sitting there like such a miserable bastard.

More shortly....

I was sure Lou was going to fall out of the chair!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 31, 2010 00:17

fiftyamp
I was sure Lou was going to fall out of the chair!

HAHAHA - were you able to see if he was sleeping or reading? Belzer was blocking my view.

Date: October 31, 2010 00:29

He was totally asleep.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 31, 2010 00:35

CindyC, good stuff!
Waiting for more...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home