Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What Is The Quintessential Rolling Stones Song?
Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 24, 2010 21:40

dewlover
It's clear to me that no real aficionados have weighed in on this one because the obvious choice would be "Sympathy For The Devil".

It's a great song, but its a samba with Keef on bass...so that rules it out of being the "quintessential" Stones tune. Besides, every real Stones fan knows that the obvious choice is 'Jumping Jack Sugar Shelter'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-24 21:41 by Keefan.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:02

I believe it is Stray Cat Blues.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:06

gimme shelter!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:12

I´m free
Get off of my cloud

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:14

Satisfaction.

It's the one Stones song everyone knows.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:15

It has to be Brown Sugar (studio version)
It combines the dirty swagger of the Stones and the biting riff and leery chorus we know and love. It has the undertones of illegality and irreverence.

Close second - Gimme Shelter

close third - Let it Loose

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 24, 2010 23:31

kleermaker
Of course! But Mick looks as if he's got a vague idea.

Yes, there is no quintessential stones song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-24 23:40 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 25, 2010 00:31

For my pick, I'd have to say the original version of Honky Tonk Women and here is why: This recording practically redefined the Rolling Stones sound and show cased what was to become Keith's signature and unique rhythmic phrasing in a way no other recording before it had done. The song's release also marks the first use, correct me if I am wrong, of the now fabled open G tuning that was used on so many of the Stones hits that proceeded it. One could go as far to say that it marks the beginning of the Rolling Stones as they came to be known by so many. For these reasons alone the song has earned them, and especially Keith, a place in Rock and Roll heaven and thus is, in my view, quintessential.

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: August 25, 2010 00:34

I agree with a lot of you: Jumping Jack Flash

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: August 25, 2010 00:42

Maybe JJF if there is one but I'd also suggest Get Off of My Cloud.

One of the best examples of the twin-guitar arrangements which Brian and Keith originally put at the centre of the Stones and one of the best mid-sixties lyrics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-25 00:55 by Squiggle.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 25, 2010 00:53

ChrisM
For my pick, I'd have to say the original version of Honky Tonk Women and here is why: This recording practically redefined the Rolling Stones sound and show cased what was to become Keith's signature and unique rhythmic phrasing in a way no other recording before it had done. The song's release also marks the first use, correct me if I am wrong, of the now fabled open G tuning that was used on so many of the Stones hits that proceeded it. One could go as far to say that it marks the beginning of the Rolling Stones as they came to be known by so many. For these reasons alone the song has earned them, and especially Keith, a place in Rock and Roll heaven and thus is, in my view, quintessential.

but they stole the riff from Ry!!!! and the official quintessential rulebook clearly stipulates entries must not be pilfered, in part or in whole, from others.....

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 25, 2010 01:22

StonesTod
ChrisM

but they stole the riff from Ry!!!! and the official quintessential rulebook clearly stipulates entries must not be pilfered, in part or in whole, from others.....
Hmmm, using that line of reasoning, a case could be made for many other songs that were 'inspired by' read, 'ripped off' by others...

Date: August 25, 2010 01:31

ChrisM
StonesTod
ChrisM

Hmmm, using that line of reasoning, a case could be made for many other songs that were 'inspired by' read, 'ripped off' by others...

it's not a line of reasoning - it's an official RULE!!! thou shalt not steal...or something.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 25, 2010 01:47

Well, is there a quintessential Beatles song?
I don't know and I don't think there has to be one! Maybe AC/DC has one.
But the Beatles are too multi-variant.

Same with the Stones although you could name songs like JJF, HTW or Brown Sugar.
But you don't really do justice to them with only stuff like this.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 25, 2010 01:55

CousinC
Well, is there a quintessential Beatles song?
I don't know and I don't think there has to be one! Maybe AC/DC has one.
But the Beatles are too multi-variant.

Same with the Stones although you could name songs like JJF, HTW or Brown Sugar.
But you don't really do justice to them with only stuff like this.

I beg to disagree, Cousin. Both Beatles and Stones (imo the Stones even more) are indeed multi-variant. But I think this has everything to do with one's perception of the essense of the band, what it has to say. As for the Beatles that's easier to answer, because they didn't last that long and were always the same band. As for the Stones, they are actually several bands in one (name), if you understand what I mean.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:13

ChrisM

Not forgetting the best drums ever!
This is the song that always says it for me, the cowbell, those drums, the riff, the lyric, the vocal, the chorus, the production and the whole sound of it.
Everything!
If I had explain what the Rolling Stones sounded like to a Martian, this is what I'd play 'em!

It really doesn't get better than this!
(Just my opinion of course, and I don't give stuff what key it's in or who they might have nicked anything from!!)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:15

I understand. And you see that makes it even harder. Essense of what and whom . .!?
At first look it seems to be pretty easy to speak about the Stones "essense". That's why I named those 3 songs. But if you think more it's not that easy . .

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:12

Close call for me between Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter & JJF
my ring tone on cell is JJF
I have the 45 jacket cover of JJF on my wall
so when it all comes down to one song which gives me chills every time I hear it
JUMPIN JACK FLASH
RB

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 25, 2010 17:14

No-one says 'Start me up'..I thought everybody liked that one...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 25, 2010 18:42

ChrisM

Solid reasoning here...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2010 18:49

HTW is the first released Rolling Stones recording which features Keith using open G, but Brian had used it on various recordings before.

Date: August 25, 2010 19:17

His Majesty
HTW is the first released Rolling Stones recording which features Keith using open G, but Brian had used it on various recordings before.

For slide, maybe, but not in the way Keith did. HTW was the template for all the open G greatness to follow.

Date: August 25, 2010 19:21

being the first doesn't make it the quintessential. my oldest brother was the first kid in our family, but i never regarded him as the quintessential brother....

Date: August 25, 2010 19:28

StonesTod
being the first doesn't make it the quintessential. my oldest brother was the first kid in our family, but i never regarded him as the quintessential brother....

Does he know that? My feeling is that he would be deeply hurt.

Date: August 25, 2010 19:35

71Tele
StonesTod

he doesn't know anything...and not only that...like yogi berra says, he doesn't even suspect anything....

Date: August 25, 2010 19:40

The whole quintessential thing is of course a matter of utter subjectivity. Technical and objective aspects like 'open G' etc. are not relevant at all. The question actually is: What song provides the recognition which one has when listening to the Stones the best? And the answer: Yes, if I hear THAT particular song then that special feeling of emotional recognition hits me the hardest.

Date: August 25, 2010 19:43

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

he doesn't know anything...and not only that...like yogi berra says, he doesn't even suspect anything....

Ah, Yogi. Now you're talking my language...When you get to a fork in the road, take it! Words to live by. Underrated ballplayer, underrated manager.

Date: August 25, 2010 19:46

kleermaker
Maybe Sway comes closest.

A quintessential Rolling Stones song with Keith on vocals only?

Date: August 25, 2010 19:46

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

Ah, Yogi. Now you're talking my language...When you get to a fork in the road, take it! Words to live by. Underrated ballplayer, underrated manager.

my personal fave: "nobody goes to that restaurant; the lines are too long."

Date: August 25, 2010 19:55

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Maybe Sway comes closest.

A quintessential Rolling Stones song with Keith on vocals only?

Why not? Read my former post for explanation.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1675
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home