Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ronnie Wood - I Feel Like Playing
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 6, 2010 21:59

alimente
If the album actually sounds as generic and unimaginative as the song titles suggest ("A Thing Like That", "Thing About You", "Tell Me Something", "Forever" and so on) we are up for a huge disappointment.

Then maybe call it Alouette!!!!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 7, 2010 00:30

Longtime Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood will release his seventh studio solo, I Feel Like Playing, this fall. His first release since 2001’s Not For Beginners will feature guest appearances from his friend of many years Slash, ZZ Top's Billy F. Gibbons, Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, singer/songwriter Kris Kristofferson, Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stones backup vocalist Bernard Fowler, Stones bassist Daryl Jones, and drummer Jim Keltner.
Wood joined the Rolling Stones subsequent to the departure of Mick Taylor. Prior to The Rolling Stones, Wood played in groups including The Faces, The Jeff Beck Group, and The Birds. The disc will be priced at $13.98.
I asked Fowler about the upcoming release, and he told me, "This is the second album I produced for him, and the hardest because of what he was going through, and it can plainly be heard." He adds, "With the help of Bob Rock and friends, it is a well rounded record, if I must say so myself."
Fowler has worked with in the past on solo material from Wood and he has also performed as part of Wood's live solo act.
Wood's most popular solo album was 1979's Gimme Some Neck, which was supported by the New Barbarians tour. The brief tour featured Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, jazz bassist Stanley Clarke, Meters drummer Joseph Zigaboo Modeliste, former Faces compatriot keyboardist Ian "Mac" McLagan," and Stones sax player Bobby Keys. Without hesitation, the live performances I saw at the New Barbarians were among the finest on-stage offerings I have ever seen.
Not meant as a complete discography, here are some of the solo works from members of The Rolling Stones current lineup.
As far as other current members of the Rolling Stones with solo albums, Keith Richards has also released solo albums, three with the highly venerated and critically acclaimed X-Pensive Winos, Live at the Palladium, which was recorded in Los Angeles, California, Talk is Cheap, and Main Offender. Richards also had more than a few fingerprints on the 1997 self-titled Wingless Angels album, on which he co-produced guitar and backing vocals. He has also appeared as a guest on many other albums.
Among albums on which Richards heavily contributed is the soundtrack album to Hail, Hail Rock and Roll, A Tribute to Chuck Berry.
Richards' solo works have certainly been more well received than those of Mick Jagger.
Fowler, who has toured with the Stones for over two decades, appears on solo albums released by Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Keith Richards, and Mick Jagger. Bernard Fowler's own alluring 2007 solo album, Friends With Privileges, is also well worth the ducats to check out.
Over the years, Watts has released several praiseworthy solo jazz discs.
Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell has his own solo works as well. His newest release is 2008's Live in Germany: Green Leaves & Blue Note.
Blondie Chaplin, also a backup singer for The Stones, released Between Us, a beautifully executed and produced solo album in 2006.
Although Rolling Stones backup singer Lisa Fischer won a Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance in 1992 with "How Can I Ease the Pain," a single from her So Intense album, her fans are still waiting for another solo full-length disc.
Rolling Stones basist Darryl Jones has not yet released a solo album.
This information originally appeared on blogcritics.org.
Watch a video, "New York Minute," featuring Bernard Fowler, the producer of Ronnie Wood's upcoming album:

[www.examiner.com]

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: August 8, 2010 17:30

we are releasing the offical film Ladies and Gentleman in October. Don't know about any other video plans

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 9, 2010 09:27

i think "i gotta see" is what bernard has been singing since last fall...the song about leaving jo to see what else was out there...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 11, 2010 23:58

Well imo Ron's previous attempts at a commercial album (Gimme Some Neck, some of 1234) are his worst. Now Look is superb. And Not For Beginners a small masterpiece - his most organic musically, inspired and deeply felt.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 12, 2010 01:50

little queenie
i think "i gotta see" is what bernard has been singing since last fall...the song about leaving jo to see what else was out there...

indeed, it's also VERY clearly a song bernard has written imho!

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 6, 2011 23:45

Anybody know which teh difference between these covers? its the first only an internet picture for promoting the album or it does exist cd with these frontcover?

which of the international edition contains the booklet with song lyrics? i want to buy the correct edition to get the lyrics....

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 7, 2011 00:54

Only one cover as far as I know. No lyrics on the european version. (Printed Germany) Maybe on the japanese version? I know it was posted a link to buy the japanese verson here before, but I can not find it. Hopefully someone can post it again.
A fantastic album!!

Per-Arne

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 7, 2011 16:20

A FAN-TAS-TIC album indeed. Very underrated, as usual with Ronnie.

How great an artist he could be if he wasn´t under Keith and Mick´s shadow.

Date: July 7, 2011 21:01

Ronnie is always great, with Mick and Keith, too. Listen to Everything Is Turning To Gold, When The Whip Comes Down, Hey Negrita etc, etc, etc.

And I Feel Like Playing is remarkably good, even though Ronnie´s albums usually are great, this one´is awesome.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 7, 2011 21:15

Can anyone share the Lyrics of "Why you wanna go and do a thing like that for" & "I Gotta See"? please!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 3, 2017 15:39

This is in my opinion the best album of Ronnie, really good even after a few years.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 3, 2017 15:59

john r
Now Look is superb.

I don´t like Now Look at all.
Mediocre-bad compositions, every song turns into a useless jam after two minutes, Ronnie´s guitar is always fine, but the songs aren´t and, let´s face it, he is no singer. Best song on the album: I Can´t Stand The Rain. A cover version. That tells everything.

Date: January 3, 2017 16:13

HMS
john r
Now Look is superb.

Mediocre-bad compositions, every song turns into a useless jam after two minutes, Ronnie´s guitar is always fine, but the songs aren´t and, let´s face it, he is no singer. Best song on the album: I Can´t Stand The Rain. A cover version. That tells everything.

A matter of taste again. Maybe people should stop thinking in ways of good or bad.
"In music everybody wins". J McL.

Date: January 3, 2017 16:14

As funky as it gets..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 3, 2017 16:42

There's no accounting for taste. I enjoy I FEEL LIKE PLAYING, but for me it ranks just above NOT FOR BEGINNERS which sits at the bottom of Ronnie's solo albums for me. And yeah, I love NOW LOOK.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 19:04

purepop
I run Eagle Rock in Canada!
I love my Job!
2 stones projects and a ronnie wood one in one year!!!!!

Do you still work at Eagle Rock? What's up for 2017?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 3, 2017 19:07

HMS
john r
Now Look is superb.

Mediocre-bad compositions, every song turns into a useless jam after two minutes,

Wrong.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 3, 2017 23:22

DandelionPowderman
As funky as it gets..

[www.youtube.com]

Love this DP, will wait for the reissue and get the album

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 4, 2017 23:47

Fantastic cd

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 5, 2017 00:59

DandelionPowderman
As funky as it gets..

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, used to love this song - and much of the album.

Didn't listen to these tunes for quite some time. But his first 2 solo albums are both still great.
Unfortunately "I've got to do my own album"'s production is a bit dated by now.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 5, 2017 18:31

black n blue
Fantastic cd

Yes it is. thumbs up

Date: January 6, 2017 04:45

Good guitar cd with some really catch tunes. 100%

Date: January 6, 2017 11:14

black n blue
Good guitar cd with some really catch tunes. 100%

Yeah, it is indeed. I don't get the criticism of I Feel Like Playing at all. IMO, the songs are stronger - in fact the strongest since the early 70s (including the lovely Slide On This).

I Gotta See and Why You Wanna Go And Do A Thing Like That For are masterpieces.

Although perhaps a bit generic, I really love Sweetness as well. The interplay between Ronnie and Slash is breath-taking on that one.

I like the mid-tempo pop/rockers as well (100%, Catch You).

Great album. Hard to get on vinyl, though. Ridiculous prices!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 6, 2017 11:20

I tend to play Ronnies I feel like playing more often than any other solo album of any
of The Stones. This, of course, means nothing to anyone, except for me it is a sign
that Ronnie hit the right spot with this one. And I like it, yes I do.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 6, 2017 15:22

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 19:09 by UrbanSteel.

Date: January 6, 2017 15:29

UrbanSteel
DandelionPowderman

Great album. Hard to get on vinyl, though. Ridiculous prices!

Ridiculous prices ? winking smiley

Ronnie Wood: I Feel Like Playing Double Vinyl .
JPC.de
67,99 €
Shippingcosts link
Orderlink

Ronnie Wood: I Feel Like Playing Double Vinyl .
HMV Japan
Yen ; 6665 = Euro ; 54,27
[www.hmv.co.jp]

Thanks, Jos thumbs up This is much cheaper than on Discogs. It's still €73 including shipping, though.

Will consider getting it from jpc, though

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2017 18:21

DandelionPowderman
... I don't get the criticism of I Feel Like Playing at all. IMO, the songs are stronger - in fact the strongest since the early 70s (including the lovely Slide On This)...

You're probably right, but still, I love Slide On This and 1234, there's very good songs on both.

For some reason, I never listened much to Not For Beginners. I'll have to change that, there are probably some songs that I would love a lot with a few more listens. From what I recall, R 'n R star and This Little Heart are good tunes but not sure about the rest.

Date: January 6, 2017 22:24

marcovandereijk
I tend to play Ronnies I feel like playing more often than any other solo album of any
of The Stones. This, of course, means nothing to anyone, except for me it is a sign
that Ronnie hit the right spot with this one. And I like it, yes I do.

Because it the freshest?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home