Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 97
Re: OT WORLD CUP 2010 in South Africa - the IORR thread
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:39

confused smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 12, 2010 09:53

So now it's over and we can get back to the Stones again. Thanks to one and all who have made this one of the best threads ever - at least in the three years I've been a member. And you know what, with the exception of Mick at the tournament I don't think the Stones got mentioned once.
As I said before, next time the Stones play in London let's all meet up for a beer. Great to know you - you all is good people.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 11:14

maumau
as much as i like and supported holland, i think it is really unfair to put the blame on the ref. yes there was that corner but no it was not off-side because according to the new (2, 3 years old?) rule of it the ball has to actually reach the player in off side which it did not and the wrong hit by the holland player started a new action.

More over, speaking of the ref's mistakes i think that holland could easily ended up the game in 9 or 8 players.

From second half i liked very much how Holland played and I think that if they had scored some of their opportunities nothing could have been said and they would have deserved it.

But Iniesta scored instead, and that was the kind of balanced game: the first to score wins and it deserves

so congratulations spain

I might be a pessimist, but I never expected the Dutch Team to get any further then the quarter final.They can be glad they made it so far. They caused Spain a lot of trouble, maybe more than any other team.that's the good thing about it.But Holland didn't play the way I like to see them. Hoping for a better team in 2 years.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2010 11:27

I am in Spain at the moment and as soon as Spain scored their goal and after the match the fireworks were up in the sky. I thought they deserved to win.I thought the ref. and his linesman had a good game and were fair to both sides.So glad it didn't go to penalties cos I have always thought it not a fitting conclusion to a 4 year run up for all the worlds teams.Great Spanish team with loads of team spirit and the old boy must be a pretty good manager.Viva Espana !!! >grinning smiley<smileys with beer>grinning smiley<

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: July 12, 2010 11:54

Congrats to Spain but it was the worst ever world cup final.
I was very disappointed by the Holland team, my favorite.
The last game of a lame world cup with soooo much referees errors.

2006 final, forehead in the chest : red card.

2010 final, foot in the chest "karate style" : yellow card.
Excellent exemple for all the young people who watched the final.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:20

The Dutch were a disgrace for football! I was /am highly dissapointed! in 4 years, mark my words, Germany WILL win the title with TRUE TOTAL FOOTBALL and making football THE BEAUTIFUL GAME again!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 12, 2010 12:44

susannewortmann
The Dutch were a disgrace for football! I was /am highly dissapointed! in 4 years, mark my words, Germany WILL win the title with TRUE TOTAL FOOTBALL and making football THE BEAUTIFUL GAME again!

as positivly surprised as i was about the quality of the german playin' i must say that they dont have the individual quality for "total football"....nevertheless a good team...

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:19

TooTough
Political: Does this unite Spain? What about Catalunia now? Do they
feel good as a part of the winning team? Isn´t this mixed team a good
catalyst for the whole of Spain? can anylone from Spain answer that?

In an hipothetic independency referendum, I'm 99% sure Catalonia will vote to be part of Spain and not a free state. Independents are only an small part of catalans citizens. Another very different thing is that the catalans would be part of Spain with another rules.

Last saturday evening near one and a half million people were claiming in Barcelona streets for RESPECT. Respect for our language, for our culture, for our particular skills, for ages of history (first parliament in europe was the catalan in XI century, before the english one). We only ask to decide what is right or what is wrong in our territory. We only ask for the same procedure as other territories of Spain.

And of course a lot of catalans like the spanish winning in World Cup, and not only for Barça players, but for their attitude, for their behaviour.
A lot of catalans like Nadal winnings in Wimblendon. And Alonso in Formule 1. And such big success in motorcycling, basketball, handball, tennis, waterpolo, roller hockey, hockey,.... with a huge number of catalans born players in these teams.

And YES, all Spain was a "fiesta". Fireworks, car horns, drinks and happiness....
From the sixties, tourism is our first income, so it's easy to understand that yesterday all Spain was a big party, because we invented "la fiesta", we invented the "sand-sun-sex", we invented "the sangria", so ....Carlitos is still de fiesta!!!

Date: July 12, 2010 14:28

guitarbastard
susannewortmann

as positivly surprised as i was about the quality of the german playin' i must say that they dont have the individual quality for "total football"....nevertheless a good team...

Blimey Mr Bastard. Fairest thing you've said about the German team ever, I believe. Everything alright with you? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 14:46

the ref is not to blame but the primitive aggressive play of holland.
sorry holland but you just can´t play like that in a final.
the ref didn´t want to give a red card because he didn´t want to decide the game which i find very good from him. but holland surely deserved three red cards.
if at all holland can thank the ref.

this team has embarrassed holland to the whole word yesterday!

i was also shocked how bad holland played. they were only lucky with their draw and against brasil who was taking the second half to easy.

ironically this bad team would have won if robben would have had a good day.
they actually would have deserved to win only counting the goal chances.

i still don´t think spain is that good, they are just too harmless in front of the goal.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 12, 2010 15:37

Silver Dagger
guitarbastard
susannewortmann

Blimey Mr Bastard. Fairest thing you've said about the German team ever, I believe. Everything alright with you? >grinning smiley<

Silver Dagger, however much I respected Germany this time, I think mister guitarbastard is right.

As for Holland: people always expect us wanting to win the beauty contest. This time we wanted to win the final itself. But De Jong and Van Bommel were too much focussed in the beginning and De Jong made a big mistake by his action, though I think he didn't on purpose. Like Van Marwijk said: the first half of the first half it seemed if they were electrified. They wanted to rectify the two lost finals too eagerly. But overall even the very critical quality papers here don't say Holland played unfair. We didn't want to make the same mistake as Germany that did nothing against Spain but being let itself being slaughtered. We had good chanches to win this game, but Robben didn't have his day. Bad luck for us.

Date: July 12, 2010 15:43

stoneswashed77

i was also shocked how bad holland played.

ironically this bad team would have won if robben would have had a good day.
they actually would have deserved to win only counting the goal chances.

I consider it a quality to play badly and even then actually deserving to win 'only' counting the goal chanches. Only the goal chanches and in the end the goals really count, as we've learned the hard way, always being praised for our wonderful football but only having won the EC one time (with much luck, of course, because if Ireland and Germany and the Soviet Union in 1988 ... etc. etc.)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 12, 2010 15:45

Most of the times, when a team changes its attitude it ends up losing.

The Duch team that played against Spain yesterday was a different team than the one that arrived at the final. Up to the semifinals they always tried, and often succeeded in making the game. In the final, their main concern was not to allow Spain play, to defend strong and relay on Robben (van Persie was non existent). When was Snejder's first pass forwards? In the first half I can't even remember one!

Probably they were rightly afraid to end up like Germany in the semifinals, who knows.

C

Date: July 12, 2010 15:49

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
guitarbastard
susannewortmann

Silver Dagger, however much I respected Germany this time, I think mister guitarbastard is right.

As for Holland: people always expect us wanting to win the beauty contest. This time we wanted to win the final itself. But De Jong and Van Bommel were too much focussed in the beginning and De Jong made a big mistake by his action, though I think he didn't on purpose. Like Van Marwijk said: the first half of the first half it seemed if they were electrified. They wanted to rectify the two lost finals too eagerly. But overall even the very critical quality papers here don't say Holland played unfair. We didn't want to make the same mistake as Germany that did nothing against Spain but being let itself being slaughtered. We had good chanches to win this game, but Robben didn't have his day. Bad luck for us.

Totally agree with you kleer. That is the difference with this German team. It is not about individual players but a total team effort for the first time ever probably. When Ballack was injured it was the best thing that could have happened because it got rid of the major ego in the team and the youngsters played for each and for the greater team as a whole.
All that was missing this time was experience. That will come.

And yes, Germany showed Spain too much respect instead of doing what Holland did and taking the game to Spain and dictating the pace. Perhaps Holland went in a little hard at times. That's not taking anything away from your performance last night as I think you played your best game possible and it could so easily have gone the other way. You had the better chances towards the end except for that one killer moment.

It will be interesting to see if Spain become the first European team ever to win
three trophies in a row. Somehow I think not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-12 17:16 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 12, 2010 15:54

i am very happy for spain.
yesterday both team could win, but dutch had robben and spanish had iniesta; that was the only difference yesterday.

Date: July 12, 2010 16:02

Rolling Hansie
confused smiley

I don't think so Hansie. suppose we would be in the final, then the pressure would be even higher than this time: unbearably high I guess. You would see ten crazy speedfreaks running all over the field, kicking everything that moved, even the ref (if it was such a talking head like Webb)winking smiley.

Well, I think I must stop now. Congrats to Spain!

Date: July 12, 2010 16:31

Silver Dagger
kleermaker
Silver Dagger
guitarbastard
susannewortmann

Totally agree with you kleer. That is the difference with this German team. It is not about individual players but a total team effort for the first time ever probably. When Ballack was injured it was the best thing that could have happened because it got rid of the major ego in the team and the youngsters played for each and for the greater team as a whole.
All that was missing this time was experience. That will come.

And yes, Germany showed Spain too much respect instead of doing what Holland did and taking the game to Spain and dictating the pace. Perhaps Holland went in a little hard at times. That's not taking anything away from your performance last night as I think you played your bewst game possible and it could so easily have gone the other way. You had the better chances towards the end except for that one killer moment.

It will be interesting to see if Spain become the first European team ever to win
three trophies in a row. Somehow I think not.

I don't think Spain will win the EC in 2012 as well. But a final Holland-Germany, however desirable, is still very, very far away. But it would be real fun, Silver Dagger. It would be an open game, because we both have already won that cup, your country even several times. But I don't really am that interested in the EC: it's only Europe. Compared to the WC it's just a little trofee. And as for club football: Who cares, it's only about the money. Only the richest clubowners/clubs play a role and the best players are moving quicker from one club to another than Mick Jagger from one woman to anotherwinking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 12, 2010 17:19

71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
The best team won.

I don't know how the Dutch team thought they could win with that style of cheap, fouling football. It would have been a travesty if they had won on penalty kicks.

I am a Spain fan, so I enjoyed it, but to those who don't understand why Americans don't like soccer, this game was a great illustration, unfortunately.

Cheap analysis.
Your post illustrates Americans don't know much about football.

Sorry, but you sound like a sore loser. I didn't say I didn't enjoy the game, just that Americans who say they don't like soccer use a dull low-scoring game like this as their reason. I didn't say I agree, as I am one American who has followed soccer since the 1970s, even before Pele was brought to play in the US.

And I am not the only one to criticize the way the Dutch approached the game.

Yes,every analysis I have heard of the game so far has described it as very ugly game and bad football. Much of it centering on the way the Dutch played. Even Europeans would have to agree it was very ugly,dull championship game. Not a comment on the sport as a whole. Just this game.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2010 17:31

timbernardis
open-g
Gazza
guitarbastard
the only team that has beaten spain is SWITZERLAND!

switzerland worldchampion!

Spain have been pretty much unstoppable since Northern Ireland beat them 3-2 in Belfast in September 2006. I think theyve lost twice in the four years since.

That was the kick up the arse they needed.

I'll accept the thanks from the Spanish nation!

Lol - I guess you'll have to wait for that, like that sandwich you ordered in Berlin.

open-g was that when the 3 of us were having a beer before the July 2006 show at the Olympiastadion?

the man of plexiglass

Yes, but in my case it started HOURS before you all showed up!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 12, 2010 17:49

hey silverdagger. just to get it right: i spend alot of time in germany and i love the big cities (hamburg, berlin, leipzig) and i have many german friends.
but when it comes to football...impossible! ;-) nevertheless i appreciate the new way of playin and the fair and not arrogant analysis after the game.
my respect! ;-)

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 12, 2010 18:09

Date: July 12, 2010 18:59

71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
The best team won.

I don't know how the Dutch team thought they could win with that style of cheap, fouling football. It would have been a travesty if they had won on penalty kicks.

I am a Spain fan, so I enjoyed it, but to those who don't understand why Americans don't like soccer, this game was a great illustration, unfortunately.

Cheap analysis.

Sorry, but you sound like a sore loser. I didn't say I didn't enjoy the game, just that Americans who say they don't like soccer use a dull low-scoring game like this as their reason. I didn't say I agree, as I am one American who has followed soccer since the 1970s, even before Pele was brought to play in the US.

You may critisize the way Holland played of course, but I agree with Amsterdamned that your analysis as written above is a cheap and biased one, Tele. Maybe your Spanish glasses have influenced it. The comments I've read in the most critical papers here are much more nuanced (and believe me, if the Dutch are good in one art it is self-criticism, especially after a defeat, that is very rare in your own country). It's a pity you can't read Dutch because you could have learned something more about football.

Date: July 12, 2010 19:13

Gazza
timbernardis
open-g
Gazza
guitarbastard
the only team that has beaten spain is SWITZERLAND!

switzerland worldchampion!

Spain have been pretty much unstoppable since Northern Ireland beat them 3-2 in Belfast in September 2006. I think theyve lost twice in the four years since.

That was the kick up the arse they needed.

I'll accept the thanks from the Spanish nation!

Lol - I guess you'll have to wait for that, like that sandwich you ordered in Berlin.

open-g was that when the 3 of us were having a beer before the July 2006 show at the Olympiastadion?

the man of plexiglass

Yes, but in my case it started HOURS before you all showed up!

Where you guys there too? Almost four years ago to the day. God, was it hot. That was the night I finally saw Streets Of Love in another light. Great version. And great version of Sway that night too, if I remember correctly. Yup, the beer was strong that day.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:23

kleermaker
71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
The best team won.

Cheap analysis.

You may critisize the way Holland played of course, but I agree with Amsterdamned that your analysis as written above is a cheap and biased one, Tele. Maybe your Spanish glasses have influenced it. The comments I've read in the most critical papers here are much more nuanced (and believe me, if the Dutch are good in one art it is self-criticism, especially after a defeat, that is very rare in your own country). It's a pity you can't read Dutch because you could have learned something more about football.

Hey, kleermaker, I sense a bit of denial in the posts to me from you and Amsterdamned. First, the whole world is pretty much saying Holland played an ugly game, so I fail to see how my opinion is "cheap". Second, Dutch is not the only language to learn about football in, but yes, I wish I could read it, along with a host of other languages. Cheers, and better luck next time. You came a long way.

Date: July 12, 2010 19:25

Rolling Hansie
Thanks for your support Max

I second that wholeheartedly. Max. You should post a Hup Holland Hup every month, if only as a memory of this great thread in which you've played a key role imo. But mostly to ease our never ending football pain.sad smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:40

Cheap play?? DIRTY PLAY ?? BY WHO??

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:48

I'm waiting for carlitosbaez to post a bunch of pics of the world champions and those hot spanish chicks. Vaaaaaamos!!!!

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:49

Max, they mean Holland, the team with the orange shirts. I mean if you didn't watch the game yourself.

Date: July 12, 2010 19:50

71Tele
kleermaker
71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
The best team won.

Cheap analysis.

Hey, kleermaker, I sense a bit of denial in the posts to me from you and Amsterdamned. First, the whole world is pretty much saying Holland played an ugly game, so I fail to see how my opinion is "cheap". Second, Dutch is not the only language to learn about football in, but yes, I wish I could read it, along with a host of other languages. Cheers, and better luck next time. You came a long way.

Tele, the whole world can say what it wants. They're all used to that soft, nice, wonderfully and beautifully playing Holland ("ain't they sweet in their traditional orange, such a sweet little country with such nice and kind people" ), always dying in beauty and others naturally winning the WC: Italy, Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, with less and often ugly football, less sportive etc. (but that's 'normal') Now they saw a Dutch team that also did fight, so that certainly was shocking for all of you, except Silver Dagger. But this time they really wanted the cup and not the cup for the most beautifully playing team. Sorry, world.

People interested in football should realize that the very best players and footbal coaches almost all come from Holland since 1970 and that this was our third WC final. Those young guys felt the pressure of the two lost ones. They wanted to write history and they tried very hard. Not to please you and the rest of the world, but to win the cup for themselves and for us here. They almost did. But though they made some stupid mistakes, they absolutely didn't play ugly. No Spaniard was hurt on the field. They all ended the game in one piece. But I understand that you have no affinity with football culture at all. Not so strange, because you're living in a country with hardly or no football culture at all. It's baseball, basketball, icehockey and football with helmets you're used to. That's the US sports culture. Very different from here.

PS: We ended 10th on the fairplay list, having played the most games including the most important one. Not so ugly.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 12, 2010 19:51

kleermaker
Rolling Hansie
Thanks for your support Max

I second that wholeheartedly. Max. You should post a Hup Holland Hup every month, if only as a memory of this great thread in which you've played a key role imo. But mostly to ease our never ending football pain.sad smiley

You are very welcome Kleer, the pleasure was mine,
I am very proud of how the Dutch team did in WC 2010.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 97

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home