Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Date: August 27, 2020 17:01

quietbeatle
I put up as unlisted video on utube. HD version is still processing but here you go:
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks a lot! thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:05

quietbeatle
I put up as unlisted video on utube. HD version is still processing but here you go:
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Excellent, thanks !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:20

quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks - the segment regarding anything new added to Scarlet starts at 3:34, and clearly Mick answers he only added new vocals to the end of it.
Again, this makes quite a difference regarding the actual origins of the tune.

And for what it's worth, here is another quote from georgelicks similar to the previous quote on the same subject, so to answer your question again:
("Not sure how all you guys can think keith did a harmony vocal without a lead vocal back then"?) this might help explain why many thought so.

georgelicks
The vocals are from 2020, I don't know how some people don't hear it, Mick didn't sing like that in 1974.

Keith vocals are from 1974, most of Mick's new vocals are very well double tracked with Keith, it works great and that's why some people can be confused.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:21

quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

That was BRILLIANT. THANKS so much for putting it up, appreciate it!

Rod

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:25

quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks. Great interview, he asked all the right questions!! And even better Mick gave all the right answers...>grinning smiley<

* Loved how he didn't want to mess with possibly Ginger Baker's drumming and pretty much dismissed the actual drummer after finding out Baker not involved
* Only gaff interviewer was happy Brussels finally is coming out
* Mick only added outtro vocals
* More good material in the vault
* Working on new album......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-27 17:28 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 27, 2020 17:27

Hairball
quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks - the segment regarding anything new added to Scarlet starts at 3:34, and clearly Mick answers he only added new vocals to the end of it.

And for what it's worth, here is another quote from georgelicks similar to the previous quote on the same subject, so to answer your question again:
("Not sure how all you guys can think keith did a harmony vocal without a lead vocal back then"?) this might help explain why many thought so.

georgelicks
The vocals are from 2020, I don't know how some people don't hear it, Mick didn't sing like that in 1974.

Keith vocals are from 1974, most of Mick's new vocals are very well double tracked with Keith, it works great and that's why some people can be confused.

George tries but has proven to be off on his information regarding Stones stuff. Still appreciated though thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2020 17:38

“We were supposed to get together and record, but it seems still that we’re in this kind of limbo… ' - Mick

Wondering if they actually had plans to get together and record prior to the tour which was to start May 8th? Seems a bit of a tight window between the shutdown and the beginning of the tour considering the rehearsal time, the calm before the storm, etc. I suppose they could have met after the tour, but following the tour there's the wind down time, the vacation time, the family time, etc., etc., etc., and the next thing you know it's Christmas time.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 27, 2020 18:47

quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

thanks a lot thumbs up

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 27, 2020 19:06

Hairball
quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

georgelicks

No offense but that doesn't really tell me anything. I thought the opposite; I don't see how people can't hear the vox are 74. I've been analyzing and listening to this band for 50 years, I could just hear it. Doesn't mean I'm right but doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is why I haven't posted about this.I don't really argue on the internet anymore. Other thing is I don't really care. Do I like the song? Yes love it. Does Mick sound great? Yes. Do I feel lied to if they are new vocals? Nope. I loved Plundered My Soul. Went straight into my top ten Stones songs. I just don't give a toss if the vox are new. As long as I love the song.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2020 19:17

Maindefender
Hairball
quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

georgelicks

George tries but has proven to be off on his information regarding Stones stuff. Still appreciated though thumbs up

Yeah this is getting silly, without FACTUAL data that Mick did indeed record new vocals for everything, there is no good reason to think he's LYING !
1. Why would he lie ? He had no problem saying there were no vocals on PMS
2. There is a version that's circulated among "collectors" for years that has Mick vocals (and no I haven't heard it) but have conversed with someone who has and can be trusted.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-27 19:29 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 27, 2020 20:14

<but have conversed with someone who has and can be trusted.>

Maybe he/she can confirm whether the vocals are from 1974 or not?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 27, 2020 21:16

Pretty humorous that some need to know when the vocals were recorded, or who played what/when before deciding whether they like the song or not.

2 check-boxes:
__ it's good
__ it sucks

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 27, 2020 21:22

LeonidP
Pretty humorous that some need to know when the vocals were recorded, or who played what/when before deciding whether they like the song or not.

2 check-boxes:
__ it's good
__ it sucks

thumbs up

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 27, 2020 21:29

not totally off topic

there is a moment in the 1945 movie "Scarlet Street" in which Joan Bennett asks Edward Robinson what his name is and he says "Chris" "Chris Cross".

Date: August 27, 2020 21:30

I'm just curious. It won't affect how much I enjoy it whether it's from 1974 or 2020 smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2020 21:41

DandelionPowderman
I'm just curious. It won't affect how much I enjoy it whether it's from 1974 or 2020 smiling smiley

Same ... and wasn't referring to you, to be clear.

Date: August 27, 2020 22:19

The issue isn't whether the song "sucks" or not. For me, it was a question of whether it was simply a Keith/Page jam with a couple of other friends (and w/out Mick or any other Stone) that was recorded long after GHS was finished, and then buried/hidden for 45 years - was it always an authentic "Stones" demo/outtake? Or was it for something else? I think Mick himself recently said it wasn't really ever intended for the Stones which seems a bit curious now. And then add some new Mick vocals 45 years later, and all of the sudden it can be considered an authentic Stones song, even though it was initially a long forgotten Keith/Page jam? Unlike Plundered (and all the other cleaned up Exile and Some Girls extras), this tune didn't ever seem to have been designated or ever even considered as a Stones tune. Now it seems clear it's always been an authentic Stones demo/outtake, and by adding some minimal new vocals (like Criss Cross), it's simply been cleaned up a bit. Again, my opinion of the song hasn't changed. For the record though, I've never said the first version (and maybe the radio or single edit) "sucks". I've lost track of all the versions, but I do think the War on Drugs remix is definitely the worst version, and by listening to it I gained a better appreciation of the first versions. Now there's yet another version to be released, and my only thought on that is really? But seriously, for all I know it just might be the best yet............

Date: August 27, 2020 22:39

quietbeatle
Hairball
quietbeatle
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

georgelicks

No offense but that doesn't really tell me anything. I thought the opposite; I don't see how people can't hear the vox are 74. I've been analyzing and listening to this band for 50 years, I could just hear it. Doesn't mean I'm right but doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is why I haven't posted about this.I don't really argue on the internet anymore. Other thing is I don't really care. Do I like the song? Yes love it. Does Mick sound great? Yes. Do I feel lied to if they are new vocals? Nope. I loved Plundered My Soul. Went straight into my top ten Stones songs. I just don't give a toss if the vox are new. As long as I love the song.

No offense taken, and no offense intended to you either. I was just providing you one of the reasons most here believed the vocals were new as an answer to your question, and wasn't saying you're right or wrong.
There was a lot of discussion about it when the song was released, yet there was never any absolute answer. georgelicks said what he thought (a couple of times), and most people settled for that as it was pretty convincing.
It would have been nice had you chimed in considering your 50 years of analyzing the band, but can also understand your desire to avoid arguments. The new interview though seems to have answered the question with absolute certainty now. Thanks again for posting the video, and glad Mick clarified it once and for all! Speaking of Plundered, it was a nice idea and interesting concept, and I even bought several 7" vinyl singles on Record Store Day when it was first released, but ultimately I never did like the song much - I think it was mostly the nasally lead vocals along with the backup singers that turned me off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-27 22:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2020 23:02

quietbeatle

Thanks so much for the full video
Really informative watch .... Thanks again

ROCKMAN

Date: August 27, 2020 23:05

PS: And isn't Mick Jagger so polite and positive

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 27, 2020 23:08

Mick's comments today about playing it at a later date "I think I played it with another group of musicians, and I think I played it with Charlie.." seems to make clear it was property of The Rolling Stones regardless, so to speak, from the minute it went into their "vault". (8:38) [youtu.be]

Case closed.

Date: August 27, 2020 23:20

Sounds to me Mick was trying to remember when and where he first recorded it - not stating any of that as fact. He even mistakenly thought it might have been Ginger Baker on drums.
Mick said he didn't remember hardly any of the details (including why Ronnie wasn't playing on it), but Jimmy remembered everything and filled him in.

Date: August 27, 2020 23:36

Well we didn't use to have it and now we have it ... It doesn't get any better than that!

Date: August 28, 2020 00:44

Yeah in this time of gloom across
the world The Stones give us a rattlin'
lil' bolted tagether funky garage rocker ....

what else do ya want ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 28, 2020 00:49

Quietbeatle, thank you so much! That was a very nice interview, Mick was really relaxed and in a good mood. And informative, too. I don't have any reasons to doubt his words about the origin of vocals. It sounds that there've been another session for the song, in where at least Charlie involved, but the tapes were lost. It really starts to look like that the story of "Scarlet" is more complex than just the Keith/Page session.

- Doxa

Date: August 28, 2020 01:03

"what else do ya want" ???

Another remix of either Ghost Town or Criss Cross might have been nice, but don't want to get too greedy. Wondering if All the Rage will be released prior to the official GHS Deluxe set?
Probably not as it's just over a week before the official release...the countdown is on...I ordered from Udiscover.com and hope to receive it all in a timely fashion.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 28, 2020 01:05

The Killers & Jacques Lu Cont Remix of Scarlet is now available in Central Europe (other countries too from midnight) - [iorr.org] .

Date: August 28, 2020 01:08

This interview makes me wonder also that isn't the corona reason why we are getting all these different remixes (and all this special promtion for the album)? The GOATS HEAD SOUP project was surely decided, and also Mick's contributions largely done I guess, before the pandemia, but if it had been a business as normal - The Stones touring USA during summer - had they have so much interest on the project? Now it looks like it's all rather impromptu planned and done by Mick due to having all this spare time. You know, just having something to do?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 01:09 by Doxa.

Date: August 28, 2020 01:09

Fair point ..... ^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2020 01:20

They left the opening and only verse out... Funny and interesting (different) intro, but what mostly stroke me by first listening is how damn good (again) Mick and Keith sound singing together... (Keith probably mixed more upfront than earlier)

More reflections later..

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 01:24 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home