Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 28, 2020 01:59

Rockman
Fair point ..... ^^^^^

Also think it's a fair point, Doxa.

GHS being scheduled for Sept. would have provided plenty of time to work on this with the tour ending July 9th.. Criss-Cross and Scarlet were basically ready to go pre-pandemic and likely All The Rage as well.

Gotta think the two "new" songs would have had similar publicity for the Sept release, but the extra time has perhaps resulted in the last couple remixes, a couple of the versions exclusive to iTunes and the Japanese release.

Interesting to me that while some think it's the Stones looking to capitalize on the younger bands popularity, I think it's likely the other way around.
The Killers and WOD having worked with several prominent artists on remixes etc have more to gain with The Rolling Stones mixes on their resume than the band that grossed the biggest revenue last year. Also think the videos were likely planned far in advance and would have been released similarly to Blue & Lonesome.

I think we likely would have gotten a taste of the "new" songs during the tour, again similar to B&L.. generating more enthusiasm for the release with perhaps more GHS standouts like Heartbreaker, Angie and (ahem) Mister D cool smiley

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 28, 2020 02:16

smileys with beer
Hairball
quietbeatle
Hairball
quietbeatle
I put up as unlisted video on utube. HD version is still processing but here you go:
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks - the segment regarding anything new added to Scarlet starts at 3:34, and clearly Mick answers he only added new vocals to the end of it.
Again, this makes quite a difference regarding the actual origins of the tune.

And for what it's worth, here is another quote from georgelicks similar to the previous quote on the same subject, so to answer your question again:
("Not sure how all you guys can think keith did a harmony vocal without a lead vocal back then"?) this might help explain why many thought so.

georgelicks
The vocals are from 2020, I don't know how some people don't hear it, Mick didn't sing like that in 1974.

Keith vocals are from 1974, most of Mick's new vocals are very well double tracked with Keith, it works great and that's why some people can be confused.
No offense but that doesn't really tell me anything. I thought the opposite; I don't see how people can't hear the vox are 74. I've been analyzing and listening to this band for 50 years, I could just hear it. Doesn't mean I'm right but doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is why I haven't posted about this.I don't really argue on the internet anymore. Other thing is I don't really care. Do I like the song? Yes love it. Does Mick sound great? Yes. Do I feel lied to if they are new vocals? Nope. I loved Plundered My Soul. Went straight into my top ten Stones songs. I just don't give a toss if the vox are new. As long as I love the song.

No offense taken, and no offense intended to you either. I was just providing you one of the reasons most here believed the vocals were new as an answer to your question, and wasn't saying you're right or wrong.
There was a lot of discussion about it when the song was released, yet there was never any absolute answer. georgelicks said what he thought (a couple of times), and most people settled for that as it was pretty convincing.
It would have been nice had you chimed in considering your 50 years of analyzing the band, but can also understand your desire to avoid arguments. The new interview though seems to have answered the question with absolute certainty now. Thanks again for posting the video, and glad Mick clarified it once and for all! Speaking of Plundered, it was a nice idea and interesting concept, and I even bought several 7" vinyl singles on Record Store Day when it was first released, but ultimately I never did like the song much - I think it was mostly the nasally lead vocals along with the backup singers that turned me off.

Date: August 28, 2020 02:17

Welcome all glad you were able to see the video.

Date: August 28, 2020 02:19

Rockman
Yeah in this time of gloom across
the world The Stones give us a rattlin'
lil' bolted tagether funky garage rocker ....

what else do ya want ???
Cheers to that! My thoughts precisely!

Date: August 28, 2020 02:20

I think you're right.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2020 04:28

Doxa
This interview makes me wonder also that isn't the corona reason why we are getting all these different remixes (and all this special promtion for the album)? The GOATS HEAD SOUP project was surely decided, and also Mick's contributions largely done I guess, before the pandemia, but if it had been a business as normal - The Stones touring USA during summer - had they have so much interest on the project? Now it looks like it's all rather impromptu planned and done by Mick due to having all this spare time. You know, just having something to do?

- Doxa

Apparently he can be bothered this time.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 28, 2020 04:54

Old Town Road proved that you can keep a single on the charts with an aggressive regular stream of remixes. The deal for the physical store didn't happen overnight, and the new album has been cooking for years. There was a steady flow of live shows being posted on their YouTube channel up until recently.

To me that is keeping them active in the eyes of social media and the younger music fans, and also giving the business folks an idea of their current popularity.

I believe this is all being done aiming toward finally releasing a new album in 2022 to piggyback on the free publicity the 60th anniversary will generate. 2021 will probably be filled with making music videos and other promotional material, maybe yet another Greatest Hits collection.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2020 04:54

Scarlet is a good dirty funky little tune. I like its trashiness. As with some things, its release and, awful remixes aside, listening to the single and album versions has got me listening to some other Stones.

Pass The Wine is one. Maybe more bizarre is a renewed interest in Ghost Town.

It's funny how a little tweak in perspective can make something interesting again. Or more so.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2020 04:59

Hey Now aint that a good thing Gaslight...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2020 07:33

The Killers and Lu Cont’s rendition of “Scarlet” is
slated for the digital deluxe version of Goats Head
Soup and will not appear on any of its physical formats.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2020 07:40

Rockman
The Killers and Lu Cont’s rendition of “Scarlet” is
slated for the digital deluxe version of Goats Head
Soup and will not appear on any of its physical formats.

Thought that was the case.
Apple exclusive I believe.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 28, 2020 07:46

Its like living in a damn ghost town, I tell you.

jb

Date: August 28, 2020 07:54

As The Swinging Pig use ta say .... Collect 'em All ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 28, 2020 08:13

Rockman

As The Swinging Pig use ta say .... Collect 'em All ....

The Pig may be retired ... just like me ... but these words of universal wisdom still remain.

Date: August 28, 2020 08:56

Doxa
They left the opening and only verse out... Funny and interesting (different) intro, but what mostly stroke me by first listening is how damn good (again) Mick and Keith sound singing together... (Keith probably mixed more upfront than earlier)

More reflections later..

- Doxa

A good move by the Killers. Their vocals sound wonderful.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 28, 2020 10:07

quietbeatle
smileys with beer
Hairball
quietbeatle
Hairball
quietbeatle
I put up as unlisted video on utube. HD version is still processing but here you go:
[www.youtube.com]

cheers

Thanks - the segment regarding anything new added to Scarlet starts at 3:34, and clearly Mick answers he only added new vocals to the end of it.
Again, this makes quite a difference regarding the actual origins of the tune.

And for what it's worth, here is another quote from georgelicks similar to the previous quote on the same subject, so to answer your question again:
("Not sure how all you guys can think keith did a harmony vocal without a lead vocal back then"?) this might help explain why many thought so.

georgelicks
The vocals are from 2020, I don't know how some people don't hear it, Mick didn't sing like that in 1974.

Keith vocals are from 1974, most of Mick's new vocals are very well double tracked with Keith, it works great and that's why some people can be confused.
No offense but that doesn't really tell me anything. I thought the opposite; I don't see how people can't hear the vox are 74. I've been analyzing and listening to this band for 50 years, I could just hear it. Doesn't mean I'm right but doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is why I haven't posted about this.I don't really argue on the internet anymore. Other thing is I don't really care. Do I like the song? Yes love it. Does Mick sound great? Yes. Do I feel lied to if they are new vocals? Nope. I loved Plundered My Soul. Went straight into my top ten Stones songs. I just don't give a toss if the vox are new. As long as I love the song.

No offense taken, and no offense intended to you either. I was just providing you one of the reasons most here believed the vocals were new as an answer to your question, and wasn't saying you're right or wrong.
There was a lot of discussion about it when the song was released, yet there was never any absolute answer. georgelicks said what he thought (a couple of times), and most people settled for that as it was pretty convincing.
It would have been nice had you chimed in considering your 50 years of analyzing the band, but can also understand your desire to avoid arguments. The new interview though seems to have answered the question with absolute certainty now. Thanks again for posting the video, and glad Mick clarified it once and for all! Speaking of Plundered, it was a nice idea and interesting concept, and I even bought several 7" vinyl singles on Record Store Day when it was first released, but ultimately I never did like the song much - I think it was mostly the nasally lead vocals along with the backup singers that turned me off.

Nasally...i never understood this way of singing when he still has a great powerfull voice (whenever he wants).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 10:08 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 28, 2020 10:22

I too thought the vocals on Scarlet were new - that was my instinct - but if Mick says the only new vocals are at the end then I'll take his word for it. And Criss Cross Man is "untouched" he says. I can't see why he bothered with a remix of Scarlet from War On Drugs. I couldn't get to the end of it! Am I missing something?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 28, 2020 10:25

I really like this remix smileys with beer
[youtu.be]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 28, 2020 10:27

I like it. Nothing earthshaking, but still a nice addition to the canon of various Scarlet-mixes. Echoes of "Might As Well Get Juiced" at the start, but nothing all too disturbing for old time fans for whom Juiced came like a shock. Nothing destracting that turns it into a different (for the better or the worse) song, either.
Instead an atmospheric mix that the reduces the song more or less to chorus-bridge-chorus basics by omitting the verse at the start and taming the outro, highlightened by a wonderful vocal mix, even with a short glimpse of Keith's solo vocals at around the 1:48 mark!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 10:44 by retired_dog.

Date: August 28, 2020 11:10

retired_dog
I like it. Nothing earthshaking, but still a nice addition to the canon of various Scarlet-mixes. Echoes of "Might As Well Get Juiced" at the start, but nothing all too disturbing for old time fans for whom Juiced came like a shock. Nothing destracting that turns it into a different (for the better or the worse) song, either.
Instead an atmospheric mix that the reduces the song more or less to chorus-bridge-chorus basics by omitting the verse at the start and taming the outro, highlightened by a wonderful vocal mix, even with a short glimpse of Keith's solo vocals at around the 1:48 mark!

What I liked most was that they peeled off the weakest parts of the song (IMO). They sort of nurtured the strong chorus, and (like the War On Drugs) made room for the middle eight.

Good work. It's funny - the Killers have a distinct sound, and what they did didn't surprise me at all. It sounded a bit like I thought it would. And it suited Scarlet, imo.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 28, 2020 13:07

yes good job by the Killers....War ON Drugs not so much. Mescal video still the gold standard...love the tune...the bickering about this tune is boring...enjoy the show folks...

Date: August 28, 2020 13:48

the bickering about this tune is boring...enjoy the show folks...

You aint seen nothing yet....
Wait till Goat reissue gets released ...fasten ya seatbelts ....

The cover is too yellow ... goats eyes have been straightened

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 28, 2020 13:59

Heard some bells ala Out Of Time..drinking smiley

Date: August 28, 2020 15:00

retired_dog

Well said.
Like this intro.. and the vocal mix as you say is fantastic!

Best version yet imo, although the "original" single mix is still my favorite.

Date: August 28, 2020 16:37

Rockman
the bickering about this tune is boring...enjoy the show folks...

You aint seen nothing yet....
Wait till Goat reissue gets released ...fasten ya seatbelts ....

The cover is too yellow ... goats eyes have been straightened

Ugh

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 28, 2020 17:05

SCARLET feat. JIMMY PAGE x THE KILLERS & JACQUES LU CONT REMIX

[Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com] · [www.YouTube.com]

Date: August 28, 2020 17:15

Date: August 28, 2020 17:30

SCARLET feat. JIMMY PAGE x THE KILLERS & JACQUES LU CONT REMIX

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 28, 2020 17:51

After further consideration, Page's guitar sounds like cats' screams from being tortured. Way too High and that is a fundamental issue with song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-28 18:45 by Chris Fountain.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home