Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Faces tour confirmed
Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 3, 2010 08:00

I think the litmus test is would any of us except a tour by a group calling itself the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger? I think the answer has got to be "no", right? Why would we apply a lesser standard to The Faces. Remember it is a business, they are using the name to attract a bigger audience, but I think it is a little dishonest. By all means tour, play those songs if you must, but name it something else. In my book, there was one lead singer of the Faces, no matter what he did after does not discount the fact that Rod Stewart is the voice of that group.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 3, 2010 13:44

not for me, thank you.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 3, 2010 17:46

i admire rod alot...he's been following his muse and i'm glad he didn't join the nostalgia bandwagon for what will be an embarrassing attempt by these guys to recreate the 70's...no way ronnie is up to the task.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 3, 2010 17:51

Adrian-L
not for me, thank you.

Why not ? Is it the Faces you don't like, or Mick Hucknall fronting them ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 3, 2010 19:23

I have no problem with them calling themselves The Faces. What is Rod the only one with a Face in the group?eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: June 3, 2010 20:55

I can't understand this discussion, because the only founding members of the 'Small Faces' are still in the line-up. Ronnie and Rod joined them after Steve Marriot's left the band. So, what's the problem?

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 3, 2010 21:02

Are they calling themselves Small Faces? That was a different group, different time.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 3, 2010 21:09

They may draw in the UK, but without Rod they will draws tens of people to shows here. There's a small kids amusement park near here. Maybe they could perform there, but they would get second billing to a puppet show. This is a Spinal Tap moment for what was a decent band.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 3, 2010 21:18

buffalo7478
There's a small kids amusement park near here. Maybe they could perform there, but they would get second billing to a puppet show.

assuming it was all the original puppets, i think that would be appropriate....

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 3, 2010 23:45

Mick Hucknall has a good voice, no doubt. BUT he can not replace Rod Stewart in The Faces. This tour with out Roddy is not interesting for me!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 4, 2010 01:10

Ladykiller
Mick Hucknall has a good voice, no doubt. BUT he can not replace Rod Stewart in The Faces. This tour with out Roddy is not interesting for me!

To me, as a Rolling Stones fan, it's a chance to see Ronnie. That's it.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: June 4, 2010 14:48

Gangster-of-love
I can't understand this discussion, because the only founding members of the 'Small Faces' are still in the line-up. Ronnie and Rod joined them after Steve Marriot's left the band. So, what's the problem?

My thoughts exactly. It makes me think of when David Byrne quit the Talking Heads, and the band they continued on without him, as the Heads. They toured with the singer Johnette Napolitano. So, if The Heads got back together but without Johnette Napolitano, they shouldn't call themselves the Heads, even though the band includes founding members of the Talking HEads? (that analogy's not exactly apropos, it apples and oranges, but it keeps running through my head anyway)

Rod had a good voice, but he ain't the reason I listen to the Faces. He was the weakest part of the band, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-04 14:52 by Keefan.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 4, 2010 14:57

Would folks be happier if they called themselves "The Old Faces"?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 4, 2010 15:37

[www.iorr.org]

In the interview Voja posted on 2nd June Ronnie is talking about doing the UK festivals (specifically Glastonbury) next year, which does not fit in well with an early 2011 Stones tour - at least not if it includes Ronnie.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 4, 2010 16:35

When your watching a Band with one or maybe two? of its orginal members replaced ya can get used to it I suppose..But with the original lead singer been replaced and it doesnt matter how good the new lead singer is..its just not the same.So if Mick Hucknall is the lead singer of The Faces for this Tour..Rod Stewart will be conspicuous by his absence

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 4, 2010 16:45

Gangster-of-love

Bingo and correct.

Date: June 4, 2010 16:46

buffalo7478
They may draw in the UK, but without Rod they will draws tens of people to shows here. There's a small kids amusement park near here. Maybe they could perform there, but they would get second billing to a puppet show. This is a Spinal Tap moment for what was a decent band.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Date: June 4, 2010 16:50

Ladykiller

Rod can't sing anymore, particularly that throaty, rafter-shaking roar he had with the early Faces. The guy can't even whisper standards at this point. Sad, but it happens. Even Sinatra lost his voice. For the good of the music, let somebody else handle the vocals. The musicians in the Faces are A-1.

Date: June 4, 2010 16:52

colonial
When your watching a Band with one or maybe two? of its orginal members replaced ya can get used to it I suppose..But with the original lead singer been replaced and it doesnt matter how good the new lead singer is..its just not the same.So if Mick Hucknall is the lead singer of The Faces for this Tour..Rod Stewart will be conspicuous by his absence

Probably, but anyone who has listened to Rod try to sing in recent years will understand... and share our sadness that he no longer can sing at a level of a band like the Faces. The Faces aren't kidding around up there.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 4, 2010 18:33

@#$%& em.

Date: June 4, 2010 18:39

Carnaby
Ladykiller

Rod can't sing anymore, particularly that throaty, rafter-shaking roar he had with the early Faces. The guy can't even whisper standards at this point.

utter nonsense

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 4, 2010 19:08

Gangster-of-love
I can't understand this discussion, because the only founding members of the 'Small Faces' are still in the line-up.

Well, it's really being called a "Faces" reunion, not a "Small Faces" one.

And if you want to get technical, Jones is really the only "founding" member left, since Mac replaced Jimmy Winston who played on the early hits.

But to everyone complaining about the lack of Rod, face it people...it's this or nothing!

As I've said before, His Lordship (I don't think he really is--I just like to call him that ) has no compelling financial reason to participate. 98% of the people who go to a Rod Stewart show couldn't identify which tunes are his, and which are by Faces (usually just one, "Stay With Me" ) so it's not as if a Faces show would draw four times as many people as one of his concerts so that he would at least break even by splitting up the pie with the other guys.

Plus, any promotion of THE FACES would point out what a w*nker he's become since they split 35 years ago. That just damages The Rod Stewart Brand next time he tours.

At this stage he ain't gonna do it for the music...it's all about the money, and it's really not there.

I'm sure the other three would love to have him aboard because it would bring the tour up to a whole other level. Bigger venues, more attention. But frankly, I think this is a better deal for the hard core Faces fan, like myself, because the crowds will be smaller, the tickets cheaper, and I won't have to deal with the Next Generation of Classic Rock Kids who want to cross another band off their bucket list.

Call it Spinal Tap if you like, but you get Woody and Mac together and there's the core of it. The Faces sound. I think it will be about The Music, and not about bringing back the Ghost of 1973.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-04 19:10 by loog droog.

Date: June 4, 2010 19:18

loog droog
But to everyone complaining about the lack of Rod, face it people...it's this or nothing!

i choose nothing

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 4, 2010 19:54

The Faces without Rod & Ronnie Lane aren't the Faces...It's probably that they'll perform during Glastonbury Festival in June 2011, because a Stones Tour doesn't happen till September'11.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 4, 2010 21:44

When was that recorded?

Posted by: ErikGrefberg ()
Date: June 5, 2010 16:28

We are obviously talking about just some band with well known names touring their home country? The Faces were always about Rod & Ron, about the boistral boys coming out from the pub doing their rock'n'roll straight from the heart and beer. With just another singer, trying to front that attitude, it will not be the Faces. Yes, Rod Stewart is not what he used to be in the late 60's and through the 70's, but back in the Faces he would bring back some great memories and some good laughs.
Wake up, Maggie!!!

Date: June 5, 2010 16:41

On paper, this idea seems even worse than Queen & Paul Rogers

If it actually sounds worse in reality (hard to be any worse, but likely from clips already shared with old ginger bollocks) it'll be worth £50 for a loff

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:31

The Joker
When was that recorded?

This is from 2003 or 2004, from his concert at the Royal Albert Hall with a 60-piece BBC Orchestra. He does both the "standards" from his Songbook albums, which suck badly, and a few choice rock cuts, which are very good. A good performance from Rod.

Date: June 5, 2010 19:37

Brue
Rod Stewart's an obnoxious homo. Good riddance. At least they won't make Hucknall go around in tight leather pants with scarves on singing 'do ya think I'm sexy'. Dude makes my skin crawl. They can only be better because of it. Yeah, too bad they couldn't dig up ol Ronnie Lane. Hell, you can find a bass player anywhere, I don't see what the big deal is. They're gonna have some guest vocalists, and people guesting on guitar - Faces stuff is probably only going to be a fraction of what they do anyway. It's hilarious that people can't see that through the tears. Just show me where to get tickets.

good heavens

Date: June 5, 2010 20:32

drbryant
The Joker
When was that recorded?

This is from 2003 or 2004, from his concert at the Royal Albert Hall with a 60-piece BBC Orchestra. He does both the "standards" from his Songbook albums, which suck badly, and a few choice rock cuts, which are very good. A good performance from Rod.

and a quite awful one from Ronnie by the sound of it.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1301
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home