Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Faces tour confirmed
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:05

This is the official line confirmed by Ian McLagan:
Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones, Ian McLagan, Mick Hucknall & Glen Matlock

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 18:06 by Wuudy.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:07

Here's what's annouced:

"It's official - Faces are finally back, and in fine form! We'll play the Goodwood Festival in England on August 13th. The line up: Ronnie Wood, Kenney Jones, Ian McLagan, Mick Hucknall & Glen Matlock. Hooray!"

Source: Mr. McLagan's Facebook page

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:09

Wuudy

well, it's true that they all have faces, so....

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:10

StonesTod
Wuudy

well, it's true that they all have faces, so....

Good enough for me ;-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:12

Wuudy

What?? Only 3/5ths of the original line-up???

Who do they think they are? The Rolling Stones??

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:27

he could use the money

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:30

Did I not post the date?...I'm just sayin' smiling smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:40

Not trying to cause trouble, but does this say anything about Wood's future with the Stones?

As of last week Mick + Keith were getting together to discuss recording a new album.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:50

colonial
Addicted
Great news!
Rod Stewart's not in because the promotors didn't want him, and his voice is only a bleak shadow of what it used to be.
Mick Hucknall, on the other hand, has always had a great voice. One of the good voices in the industry.
Addicted..I find that hard to believe the promotors dont want Rod Stewart..and then to say his voice isnt what it used to be..its nothing wrong with Rod Stewarts voice.The truth be known its probably Rod who doesnt want the promotors.

I happen to know the manager of one of the guys who are going on the road, and he told me "the promotors don't want Rod". He's considered "difficult" and "a primadonna" and they too, like me, have noticed his voice is gone. I paid ridiculous amounts of money to see him perform at a cancer galla, and believe me - he sounded worse than the choir, consisting of former cancer patients. It was bloo*y awful. Back in the old days, when Ronnie was in the Faces, Rod Stewart was one of my favourite singers, and it really hurt to hear how his singing's like these days.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:52

wonder if these promoters have heard woody play recently. ouch!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:55

> It was bloo*y awful.
oh d*mn! winking smiley

Rod was great in the late 60s and early 70s, he really was. brilliant singer! after that he's gone pop and totally lost my interest.
what is my point - he really never was good enough to put his name before "& the Faces".

I'm totally not going to miss him, though I guess he was crucial in the old days.
even his first solo albums are great! not to mention his Stones' covers on them...
the bass player is a different thing...

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:58

James Kirk
Not trying to cause trouble, but does this say anything about Wood's future with the Stones?

As of last week Mick + Keith were getting together to discuss recording a new album.
You can't be serious!
Ronnie needs money. Would you, if you were an economical advisor, recommend he keeps his job in the Stones and goes on tour from September next year? (Incredibly big money)
Or should he insist on staying with the Faces? (No stadium shows - uncertain income and number of shows)
Anyway - The Faces tour's this year, isn't it?
And the Stones tour will not start untill September 2011, at the earliest (because of their fiscal year - NO, fiscal hear has noting to do with Chinese astrology!)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2010 20:25

Addicted
James Kirk

You can't be serious!
Ronnie needs money. Would you, if you were an economical advisor, recommend he keeps his job in the Stones and goes on tour from September next year? (Incredibly big money)
Or should he insist on staying with the Faces? (No stadium shows - uncertain income and number of shows)
Anyway - The Faces tour's this year, isn't it?
And the Stones tour will not start untill September 2011, at the earliest (because of their fiscal year - NO, fiscal hear has noting to do with Chinese astrology!)

Looks like you did in fact, cause trouble.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 25, 2010 21:06

James Kirk

How long does that take? Ten minutes?

'Getting together', when - later in the year? There's no timeline. Nor is anything confirmed. Keith also said last September they were 'getting together'.

A Faces gig in August will hardly derail anything.

Incidentally, Ronnie was interviewed (with Kenney Jones) on Sky News this afternoon about the Faces reunion gig. Its not online yet but probably will be later.

He says he's now been 'clean' for exactly 60 days.

Oh, and he's still very much a Rolling Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 21:07 by Gazza.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 25, 2010 21:48

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:31

Well too bad Bernard Fowler isnt in the lineup - the 1992-93 RW tour was terrific and BF more than held his own on songs originally sung by MJ & RS, and is a great harmony singer as well.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:05

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: May 25, 2010 23:25

James Kirk
Faces W/out Rod Stewart is lame.

Why call it the Faces?

The history of the band goes back before Stewart and Woody joined them. Ian MacLagan & Kenny Jones were in the Small Faces before then. When Steve Marriott wanted to bring in Peter Frampton, the others didn't like the idea. So the Small Faces continued on, recruiting Rod Stewart and Ron Wood to replace Marriott, after they left the Jeff Beck Group. Marriott went on to form Humble Pie with Frampton.
(I just watched the Small Faces' "All or Nothing" dvd, great stuff).

Interesting that the're getting got Glen Matlock to play bass with the Faces. He actually played most of the bass parts on Never Mind the Bullocks - fortunately Sid Vicious was sick when they did most of the recording (if Sid had played on it, the album wouldn't have been nearly as good).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 23:26 by Keefan.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:21

Friday 13th August ... just got my ticket !! There might be no Rod, but hell, if the taster we got from their RAH gig is representative of what we'll get, I'll take it.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:40

Great news. Might have to get a ticket.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:15

Smacks of desperation to me.

The Faces without Rod is not the Faces. This is a money spinning venture with no merit. Hucknall is a crooner, albeit a good one, but has never rocked out. Rod is a crooner now and no longer has the voice he once had, but hey which of us is as vital as we once were.

Would we give our blessing to the next Stones tour having Jagger replaced by Paul Rodgers? Great singer, still a good voice but just not a Rolling Stone.

Never mind the quality, feel the bank balance....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:21

Elmo

The Faces without Rod is not the Faces. This is a money spinning venture with no merit. Hucknall is a crooner, albeit a good one, but has never rocked out. Rod is a crooner now and no longer has the voice he once had, but hey which of us is as vital as we once were.

Would we give our blessing to the next Stones tour having Jagger replaced by Paul Rodgers? Great singer, still a good voice but just not a Rolling Stone.

Never mind the quality, feel the bank balance....

Maybe Ronnie is confused? Someone told him that the Faces were regrouping for a tour and that Mick was going to be on the mike.

He ass-u-med it was Jagger.

Luckily he didn't think it was Taylor, or he may have felt threatened (picture of me inserted here, with a can opener, looking at a can, with a label that looks like spagetti, but is in fact worms).smileys with beer

Date: May 26, 2010 01:55

Elmo

The Faces without Rod is not the Faces....

What else would you call a tour with Ian MacLagan, Kenny Jones, and Ron Wood? I just got an idea...maybe they should call themselves 'The Faced'.

IMO MacLagan is the best pianist in rock n'roll (since Nicky Hopkins died anyway), and with Bonzo and Keith Moon both gone, Kenny Jones might just be the best 'classic rock' drummer still kicking (sorry Charlie). Woody playing with them is just icing on the cake. It's sad that Ronnie Lane is long gone but Matlock is a good choice, IMO.

I'm not too familiar with Hucknall, but I think he sounds great in the Royal ALbert Hall clip. His voice sounds stronger than Rod's these days. YEah, it'd be great if Rod were in on this too, but he ain't, so 'it is what it is'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-26 02:00 by Keefan.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 26, 2010 02:31

Addicted
Rod Stewart's not in because the promoters didn't want him.

I guess the promoters also didn't want to sell any tickets or make any money.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 02:39

great news with no rod? are you kidding ?

Date: May 26, 2010 02:56

melillo
great news with no rod? are you kidding ?

Rod Stewart was the reason that I DIDN"T listen to the Faces back in the day. I went to high school in the late seventies, and no self-respecting hetero high school guy back then wanted to be labeled a Rod Stewart fan, due to Disco Rod's 'Do you think I'm sexy?" phase. So I avoided listening to the Faces for a long time, til I finally got into the Small Faces and realized what a great group of musicians they were. I daresay that Rod Stewart's image in the late seventies is what kept a lot of American teenage guys like me from getting into the Faces back then.

I did buy Jeff Beck's first two solo albums back then though...I was just too much of a guitar freak to resist them.

I think Rod does have a great voice, and most everything he sang prior to 1975 was excellent. Looking back on things, the anti-Rod bias seems silly, but that's how it was at my high school anyways, in the late seventies.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: May 26, 2010 04:33

Gazza
James Kirk

How long does that take? Ten minutes?

'Getting together', when - later in the year? There's no timeline. Nor is anything confirmed. Keith also said last September they were 'getting together'.

A Faces gig in August will hardly derail anything.

Incidentally, Ronnie was interviewed (with Kenney Jones) on Sky News this afternoon about the Faces reunion gig. Its not online yet but probably will be later.

He says he's now been 'clean' for exactly 60 days.

Oh, and he's still very much a Rolling Stone.
I TOLD YA!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2010 05:09

The Faces without Rod is not the faces. Hell The Faces without Ronnie Lane is not The Faces! So tour, that is fine, but don't call them The Faces, especially if Ronnie needs another guitarist! RIDICULOUS!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 26, 2010 05:24

naw this ain't Faces. many reasons. ron not ron anymore if u know wat i mean.
rod not rod anymore either. and he ain't comin' anyway. and his voice was about the only instrument that could take mariott's place and keep the band interesting and important. mac is GREAT.... kenny i dunno. i bet he's fine!! ronnie's loss is enormous...sex pistol matlock in his place? i dunno.... ronnie lane brought a lot of the country soul vibe to the whole sound imo....it was a magical thing. very much magical. hucknall is fine. he's good.. !!! i don't feel confident with ron wood anymore. nor even particularly intersted. tho the first two beck albums, the Faces albums with him, and the early rod solo stuff was extraordinarily beauteous. but so was ron back then..now i associate him with years of glad handing and slacking. no there there. anymore. not going.

more interested in what mac and hucknall are up to with other projects frankly.
this is not Faces. confirmed.

but it's as close as new fans and younger friends are ever gonna get i suppose.
so many might really enjoy if they love the songs etc...and i bet hucknall is a great energy and charisma groover w a surprisingly fun powerful voice....
but as they're branding it? i can't go for it personally.
this nineteen sixties-rocker-guys oldie reunions are more embarassing than the first wave of that shit with the doo wop guys and such....imo.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-26 05:28 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 26, 2010 05:59

....Hucknall is a better choice than Stewart. Rod's gone beyond Hollywood...he's gone to the dark side of Rachel Ray.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home