Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
confirmed: Taylor worked on new Exile
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 16, 2010 15:30

well..this should settle a few discussions....

[www.cleveland.com]

Ex-Stones guitarist Mick Taylor recently added some new licks to the latter tune. He parted ways with Mick Jagger & Co. in 1974, ending a five-year stint with the longest-running circus in rock.
"Mick called me up and asked me to play on it," said Taylor, who canceled a gig earlier this month at the Kent Stage because of a respiratory ailment.
The nucleus of "Plundered My Soul" dates to the original "Exile" sessions, although it was unfinished until now.
"It was basically a chord sequence recorded by Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Keith," Taylor said.
"I don't think Mick and myself were even there. He made up a vocal to fit the backing track, then called me in to do some guitar parts. It turned out wonderful.
"It was nice to see Mick again. It was easy for me to get into that frame of mind where I was playing rock 'n' roll guitar behind his voice. I lead my own band now, and we're more of a blues band. We don't really touch upon the blues-rock style of music that the Stones do.
"So it was great to have the opportunity to express what some people would call my old style of playing. I wouldn't call it old. I'd just call it good."

Re: confirmed: Taylor worked on new Exile
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 16, 2010 15:45

who's mick taylor?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 16, 2010 15:48

There's a new Exile?
winking smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 16, 2010 16:08

"I wouldn't call it old. I'd just call it good" - UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR !

Welcome back MT

scuk

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2010 16:15

They really should have used him for more than just PMS! The other tracks on which he is absent sound odd without him.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 16, 2010 17:25

doesn't he play on So Divine? the solo is something I've never heard I think... or just don't remember it being there. also, not a typica 1971 Taylor... mhm...

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 16, 2010 17:34

I always thought that Taylor recorded PMS recently because the guitar interacts so well with the vocals. Taylor played beautifully on this song.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2010 17:45

But Keith isn't even on Plundered since nobody seems to be able to hear his guitar!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:09

SO HOW COME DIP SHITE KEITH SAID TAYLOR WASNT ON IT?

Date: May 16, 2010 18:11

Because Keith secretly isn't on it? He's the one that said he can't remember anything. It must be Jagger playing Keith's guitar in the left speaker...and Jagger is the one that added the acoustic instead of Keith like Keith said! Because Keith actually did nothing for the extra tracks!

Right? Right. Well glad that's decided.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:20

skipstone
Because Keith secretly isn't on it? He's the one that said he can't remember anything. It must be Jagger playing Keith's guitar in the left speaker...and Jagger is the one that added the acoustic instead of Keith like Keith said! Because Keith actually did nothing for the extra tracks!

That augers well for his forthcoming autobiography!
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:25

skipstone

The nucleus of "Plundered My Soul" dates to the original "Exile" sessions, although it was unfinished until now.
"It was basically a chord sequence recorded by Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Keith," Taylor said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 18:27 by Ket.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:27

That ugly solo on So Divine is actually unrecognizable Keith.

Date: May 16, 2010 18:34

Ket, you don't get that I'm being very very very very facetious? Basically I'm compiling ALL the things said here lately amongst things Keith has said and continues to say...it's humour at it's finest with The Rollin, er, Keith Richards.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:37

skipstone
...it's humour at it's finest ...

we'll be the judge of that. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:42

His Majesty
They really should have used him for more than just PMS! The other tracks on which he is absent sound odd without him.

Nice to hear that from you, HM! I always value your opinions here.

Date: May 16, 2010 18:45

That did surprise me, NOT seeing his name on some of the other tunes.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:29

skipstone
Ket, you don't get that I'm being very very very very facetious? Basically I'm compiling ALL the things said here lately amongst things Keith has said and continues to say...it's humour at it's finest with The Rollin, er, Keith Richards.
Doh, sorry

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2010 19:31

skipstone

Yeah, as far as I know Taylor was quite a loyal guy as far as sessions go - he didn't miss too many sessions or had off days - as some other guys did - by his time with the band. So him not being in any of the "original" tracks is quite odd thing - or he didn't play anything worthy to be released - that's even more odd.

Well, the reason for Taylor to be asked to play in "Plundered" might be a brain child of Jagger noticing: "shit, there is no any Taylor contribution in any of these EXILE out-takes - that does not look good. Bring him here to record something quickly..." grinning smiley

But what a wonderful quote, brings almost a tear in my eye:

"He made up a vocal to fit the backing track, then called me in to do some guitar parts. It turned out wonderful... It was nice to see Mick again. It was easy for me to get into that frame of mind where I was playing rock 'n' roll guitar behind his voice."

Yeah, he could have contributed some more as far as I'm concerned...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 19:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:16

....Plundered My Soul is the best of the "new/old" ones.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:27

He will be defenitely involved in the upcoming new Rolling Stones album. Belive me guys...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:40

straycatuk
"I wouldn't call it old. I'd just call it good" - UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR !

Welcome back MT

scuk
I'll second that.
It's interesting how he apparently considers his current "style" to be quite different from what he played that of his Stones days. Personally, I think his solo stuff is mostly a watered down, boring jazz variation of what he used to do back then. His playing on Plundered My Soul is the best thing he's done since he played with Carla Olsen 20 years ago.

I wish he'd participate in more Stones projects. Regardless of what the Stones decide to do on tour, he could without a doubt raise their music to a higher standard in the studio.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:45

jamesjagger
He will be defenitely involved in the upcoming new Rolling Stones album. Belive me guys...

Well, what you say is a no-brainer...given the sad state of affairs with the current guitar players...

...then again, they still have their guitar techs (who did a great job with the Austin overdubs!) and Blondie...and I am pretty sure that Chuck would be able to get some guitar sounds from his keyboards if required...plus, Mick J. can pull off some decent Keith imitations too...

Date: May 16, 2010 20:47

He´s not in the band anymore. This was a different gig...

Date: May 16, 2010 20:50

DandelionPowderman
He´s not in the band anymore.

How can you be so sure?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:53

Let't hope Taylor joins them in the studio if there's new material(doubtfull). He createt that typical Stones atmosphere..But he might get in trouble with Keith.
But as alimente stated: MIck J can do the 5 string job.. But please no guest players on guitar.And bring Bill back for one more time. ...All wishfull thinking I'am afraid.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2010 20:54

kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

So Divine for example is a perfect vehicle for Taylors lead style, instead we got some modern day fumbling Keith. I can't believe they were satisfied with that overdub!!!

Proof they need a producer with some balls!? confused smiley

Date: May 16, 2010 21:06

His Majesty
So Divine for example is a perfect vehicle for Taylors lead style, instead we got some modern day fumbling Keith. I can't believe they were satisfied with that overdub!!!

Absolutely. But where do you find a producer who has the balls to say to Keith: "Stay away from this solo! Let Taylor do the job!"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 16, 2010 21:12

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty

smiling smiley

You are right, but let's put this to perspective. Are there any person in the world to come to the Rolling Stones recording session and say to Keith Richards: "no, that's utter crap. We need better guitar contribution - and player - here"... If the person would have balls, he would have no heart to say it... a figure like Keith Richards is beyond the normal criteria of us mortals.

But what Keith says of him him being "rusty" in public high-profile TV show, that's quite strong signal that he he would not make easily public appereances as a guitarist any longer.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 16, 2010 21:12

Doxa
skipstone

Yeah, as far as I know Taylor was quite a loyal guy as far as sessions go - he didn't miss too many sessions or had off days - as some other guys did - by his time with the band. So him not being in any of the "original" tracks is quite odd thing - or he didn't play anything worthy to be released - that's even more odd.

- Doxa

Unless of course you take into account the real way Exile was recorded -just 3 or 4 very basic backing tracks from Nellcote, half a dozen from Olympics and Stargroves and the rest done completely at Sunset. The Sunset sessions where basically Mick, Keith and Jimmy Miller with a bunch of sessions guys, and this is one of the reasons why Taylor and Wyman play on only half the songs, and on these songs they play a fairly minor role.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home