Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul - reviews and comments
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2010 00:35

More Hot Rocks
Since it's from EXILE period people say it's great. If The Rolling Stones put out a press release and said Jones and Leavell played on it and it was recored in recent years people would had it. Half the people on this board bash things for NO reason at all.

what do the other half of the people bash for?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 18, 2010 00:40

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
Since it's from EXILE period people say it's great. If The Rolling Stones put out a press release and said Jones and Leavell played on it and it was recored in recent years people would hate it. Half the people on this board bash things for NO reason at all.

what do the other half of the people bash for?

You have a point StonesTod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 00:42 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 18, 2010 01:47

Heard it in car 3 times out of a Boston station. It sounded better on radio than off the computer

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 01:55

I don't know if it is the vocals or the mix, but it sounds very muck in the style of recent Mick solo or ABB songs. I'd like to here a re-mix with the vocals down at the same level as the other instruments like the rest of Exile - i.e. one of the reasons why Exile was so great in the first place!

Re: Plundered My Soul Reviews
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2010 02:23

barbabang
I quite like the song, the tempo of the song is great. The backing vocals sound sweet.
What could be better is the sound. You hardly hear Nicky Hopkins for example, and the vocals are too high in the mix for my taste, as are the low frequencies. I like the song very much, but the production could be better. The balance of the instruments could more pronounced. I'm happpy with it but the production aspects leave a lot to be disered. I'm curious what part Keith plays in the song. The bassguitar pattern is very basic (almost like Darryl), drums sound seems very 'modern Charlie'

No offence, (and this isnt just directed at yourself) but isnt this all a bit over-analytical?

If we got a 16-song album of new songs, would every track be dissected in such minute detail? Or would we get this fuss if the Stones were releasing material every couple of years or so?

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 18, 2010 08:36

Think of it this way. Imagine the track released with no info... i.e. when or where it was recordered and with whom.....

THEN what would you think about it with out putting it in an 'era' or making a comparison to your fav. 'last great stones track'

How then would the song be for you?

I think it's a hell of a song to stand all by itself!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 18, 2010 09:39

i think BV is great!! he does not try to influence others opinions even if he disagrees with his own posts... thats super thank you BV... i get flak some of my dear iorr friends sometimes in hearty, mebbe even disgusted, disagreement... i don't ever expect my little or anybodys little slant on whatever would stop some others from totally loving something i might critique w different impression etc.... i LIKE seeing everybodys take... i appreciate anything honest from feelings, even peeps who have different age, diifferent tours, different "Contemporary" relationship with whatever decade they really FIRST loved a tour or a new release etc....

so...amidst some of the gentle fur flying etc... it's good to see a moderator/owner who not pushy...no ones removed for saying whatever except for obvious rules about no politiking, no religious slurs....

just occured to me, thank you bv i[m grateful; good show, what a champ.... ty

beelyboy...Think About it

Re: Plundered My Soul Reviews
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 18, 2010 11:27

Gazza
barbabang
I quite like the song, the tempo of the song is great. The backing vocals sound sweet.
What could be better is the sound. You hardly hear Nicky Hopkins for example, and the vocals are too high in the mix for my taste, as are the low frequencies. I like the song very much, but the production could be better. The balance of the instruments could more pronounced. I'm happpy with it but the production aspects leave a lot to be disered. I'm curious what part Keith plays in the song. The bassguitar pattern is very basic (almost like Darryl), drums sound seems very 'modern Charlie'

No offence, (and this isnt just directed at yourself) but isnt this all a bit over-analytical?

If we got a 16-song album of new songs, would every track be dissected in such minute detail? Or would we get this fuss if the Stones were releasing material every couple of years or so?

It probably is over-analytical Gazza! The anticipation was high as I choose not to hear the song until I got the 7" This was my first impression of the single, which I bought at record day, however the RADIO version is far better!
To me it is almost like night and day. Yesterday I was thinking about this. Could the single version be sort of a 'homage' to the early single mix of All Down The Line?
The radio version is pretty good!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 11:45

listening to plunder tonight made me think of this old song by izzy stradlin

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 18, 2010 12:03

it's 184 on iTMS... sad smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 18, 2010 14:38

I think it's a pretty good tune. I especially like Taylor's guitar, but
unfortunately I'm not too keen on Jagger's vocals.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2010 14:41

Now after listening the song for few days, and the first excitement having fade away (no - I still love it and say it's the best cut since "Waitin On A Friend").

First of all, I don't care how much is it is 'new' and how much is 'old'. There is no pure historian in me as far as great NEW music is concerned. It's the results that matter.

"Plundered My Soul" is a challenge to anything we have used to for some decades now. It is an assertion that the Rolling Stones have been out of touch for VERY long time now. No, "Plunderd My Soul" is no any "Brown Sugar" or anything like that but it clearly shows what is difference between the focused and unfocused, inspired and non-inspired, the band in its peak and not in-peak. It especially shows what a total throwaway album A BIGGER BANG really was.

How is this miracle of "Plundered My Soul" possible?

My answer is : Mick Jagger.

The brains of the Rolling Stones finally found the right track again. We know that it took a a LOT from Mick to really start listening to the vaults and do all this "nostalgic" bullshit - the guy has a serious issue there - but he did - and came out as a winner. He probably worked harder with these "new tracks" than he did with A BIGGER BANG. But most of all: he found THE INSPIRATION. The guy was TOTALLY flames after finishing the project and couldn't keep his not usually big mouth shut at all (remember the legendary Italian radio interview...). Listening to the vocals of "Plundered" one can here the excitement Jagger voice has - no it's not as vital as it was in 1971 but he pushes hard and lets it go...

In a recent interview Jagger says that it is difficult to write to the base of finished backing track. It is easier start from teh cratch (this is something told by Ronnie and some others as well during the years). I guess it is, but thanks to the fact that the song skecthes were laid some 40 yaers ago, you need to live and cope with those intuitions and - fortunately - you cannot change them. But those intuitions were done during teh time when the Stones - especially Keith - couldn't do no wrong. It is Keith Richards from 1971 talking to us here. He cannot do that anyome, nor Mick - and this ecactly is the problem with the Stones albums from DIRTY WORK (or so) on: the guys have run out of good, convincing, natural intuitions. With this EXILE project that is not a problem. They (Jagger that is) can just ice the cake so to say. But more of that: because the songs (as sketches) already exist, they (he) can concantrate 100% to finish the tracks - something that didn't belong to the concept of A BIGGER BANg at all (or many Stones cuts since DIRTY WORK). It is wonderful to listen the little production, arrangement details of "Plundering", discovering them, re-listening them again and again, and understanding their small beautiful nuances that still make the important difference. You know just like with classical STones albums: TATTOO YOU, SOME GIRLS, etc,.

Of course, Jagger always works his ass off - and is a perfectionist - with his solo works, but the problem with those is the lack of true greatness in intuition department. Here, let me repeat, it is not the problem: Jagger can work his ass off with the intuitions he and Keith had in early 70's. That's a winning receipt.

More or less this was the same miracle that happened with TATTOO YOU.ยจ

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 14:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 18, 2010 15:14

I like it a lot. I have listened to it ten times in a row. It just seems to get better at each listen.

Who is singing with Jagger?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2010 15:40

YEAH FANKS Mick Jagger ..... Ya got Rock rollin' again.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 15:41

flilflam
I like it a lot. I have listened to it ten times in a row. It just seems to get better at each listen.

Sounds like Bernard, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 18, 2010 15:42

flilflam

Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 18, 2010 16:06

Lisa surely don't sound like Bernard smiling smiley
beautiful backing vocals! most of the time I prefer Stones raw and tough and unedited, but here those girls really add... like another color to a painting winking smiley... something special to the song.

Date: April 18, 2010 16:56

Marhsall
Think of it this way. Imagine the track released with no info... i.e. when or where it was recordered and with whom.....

THEN what would you think about it with out putting it in an 'era' or making a comparison to your fav. 'last great stones track'

How then would the song be for you?

totally unlistenable - if these were mick's original eoms-era vocals, i would say that too. i couldn't get past the first 20 seconds before tasting a little bile building up in my throat....

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 17:05

hahaha, oops

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 18, 2010 17:22

For me these whole Exile got a bit over the top, I really can't catch up all the threads......pity that there isn't a song called "vulcano" this would probably makes this release a real hype.

I'm still curious to listen to the whole release though.......and then at my comment...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-18 17:35 by NICOS.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 18, 2010 19:37

OK, novelty has begun to wear off and I still think it's a great track.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 18, 2010 19:57

heard plundered this morning on my local classic rock station, now we are getting somewhere

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 18, 2010 20:27

Beelyboy
i think BV is great!! he does not try to influence others opinions even if he disagrees with his own posts... thats super thank you BV... i get flak some of my dear iorr friends sometimes in hearty, mebbe even disgusted, disagreement... i don't ever expect my little or anybodys little slant on whatever would stop some others from totally loving something i might critique w different impression etc.... i LIKE seeing everybodys take... i appreciate anything honest from feelings, even peeps who have different age, diifferent tours, different "Contemporary" relationship with whatever decade they really FIRST loved a tour or a new release etc....

so...amidst some of the gentle fur flying etc... it's good to see a moderator/owner who not pushy...no ones removed for saying whatever except for obvious rules about no politiking, no religious slurs....

just occured to me, thank you bv i[m grateful; good show, what a champ.... ty

What are you alluding to? This is so out of context it stupifies me.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 18, 2010 21:24

i really gave it a another try. and another..and another. mainly because many people here (that i normaly agree with) seem to love this tune. but to be honest that track is a big embaressment! the production is just another don was massacre. and as posted before: nothing of the exile feel is in there. it sounds so fake although its obviously real in a way. ;-) jaggers singing is just terrible. the composition is weak. the sound awfull...it really is like a renovated old church. the feel and athmosphere is gone! it will always be a miracle why so many people love it.
but hey, great for those who enjoy it! have fun!!

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2010 21:39

I just think its great that we can talk about new Stones music for a change instead of reading new stories about Ronnie Wood making a public arse of himself.

Been a while since thats happened..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 18, 2010 21:40

guitarbastard
i really gave it a another try. and another..and another. mainly because many people here (that i normaly agree with) seem to love this tune. but to be honest that track is a big embaressment! the production is just another don was massacre. and as posted before: nothing of the exile feel is in there. it sounds so fake although its obviously real in a way. ;-) jaggers singing is just terrible. the composition is weak. the sound awfull...it really is like a renovated old church. the feel and athmosphere is gone! it will always be a miracle why so many people love it.

well, i think there's a lot of rooting for the stones and sometimes if you really wanna like something, you can fake yourself into enjoying something. i think there was quite a bit of that with ABB (myself included) when it first came out. in time, many came to realize that it was mostly a turd of an album. the proof comes a few months or years down the road when you find out what you reach for in your music collection - i haven't reached for ABB in about 3 years now and probably never will again. i suspect the same will be true for many with this track, as well...

Date: April 18, 2010 22:43

StonesTod
guitarbastard

well, i think there's a lot of rooting for the stones and sometimes if you really wanna like something, you can fake yourself into enjoying something. i think there was quite a bit of that with ABB (myself included) when it first came out. in time, many came to realize that it was mostly a turd of an album. the proof comes a few months or years down the road when you find out what you reach for in your music collection - i haven't reached for ABB in about 3 years now and probably never will again. i suspect the same will be true for many with this track, as well...

But only time will that so why to worry now how one feels in future? If it feels right NOW that's fair enough. If it doesn't last, so who cares - you already had your fun... it's like having great sex - why to spoil the party by thinking that I might not like my partner or it in ten years time or something...

I also used to think STEEL WHEELS was about the best thing they ever done. It sounded wonderful in 1989. Now I consider it one of their weakest efforts but seemingly it served its function at the time (and I ENJOYED). I also thought that The Stones have never sounded so great an fresh as they did with "Love Is Strong" - now I consider it as a corny, boring, throwaway song. Maybe this will happen with "Plundered My Soul" as well - but I feel goddamn great at the moment and that's more than enough for a long time Rolling Stones fan as me.

As far as I am concerned this song gives me best vibes since STRIPPED - the last album I found somehow interesting (as it still is). I never got into VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG.

- Doxa

Date: April 18, 2010 22:45

Doxa
StonesTod
guitarbastard

But only time will that so why to worry now how one feels in future? If it feels right NOW that's fair enough. If it doesn't last, so who cares - you already had your fun... it's like having great sex - why to spoil the party by thinking that I might not like my partner or it in ten years time or something...

I also used to think STEEL WHEELS was about the best thing they ever done. It sounded wonderful in 1989. Now I consider it one of their weakest efforts but seemingly it served its function at the time (and I ENJOYED). I also thought that The Stones have never sounded so great an fresh as they did with "Love Is Strong" - now I consider it as a corny, boring, throwaway song. Maybe this will happen with "Plundered My Soul" as well - but I feel goddamn great at the moment and that's more than enough for a long time Rolling Stones fan as me.

As far as I am concerned this song gives me best vibes since STRIPPED - the last album I found somehow interesting (as it still is). I never got into VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG.

- Doxa

i don't think anyone is worried, but thanks for caring

Date: April 18, 2010 22:55

But Stonestod, why do you worry about people "faking" to like something? I don't quite get it. You like or you don't.

- Doxa

Date: April 18, 2010 22:59

Doxa
But Stonestod, why do you worry about people "faking" to like something? I don't quite get it. You like or you don't.

- Doxa

where did i say i was worried about that or anything? i offered an opinion and explanation to the phenonmenon where there seems to be a lot enthusiasm at the outset (ABB is the example) and then not so much later. i don't worry - consider me the alfred e. neuman of stones fans....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home