Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 22
Re: Plundered My Soul!!!
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:17

going from a bigger bang to plundered my soul is like going from a diet of tunafish to a lobster dinner. i feel this is the best stones song that's been released in the past 15-20 yrs you got wyman, taylor, jagger, watts and richards together again and yet some people still complain. what do they have to do to please those people? i think mick nailed it when he wrote IORR "If I could stick my pen in my heart
And spill it all over the stage
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?
"

Posted by: morkos1 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:18

ChefGuevara
It's kind of strange for me, I like the song and it stucked in my head
faster than I tought, but I was also expecting something closer tho the
Exile sound / voice and It's not.
But then again...I like it!

I was expecting that too. I think Jagger actually sounds better towards the end of the song when he is not trying as hard to belt out the notes. Still, I'm pretty happy with the song.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:27

Jagger is heroic on this track. God, it's f***ing AMAZING how good this sounds. The lyrics, singing, playing, production, it'd be rude to want anything more. Pure classic Stones.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:36

ghostryder13
going from a bigger bang to plundered my soul is like going from a diet of tunafish to a lobster dinner. i feel this is the best stones song that's been released in the past 15-20 yrs you got wyman, taylor, jagger, watts and richards together again and yet some people still complain.

you like it as do others. still others, like me, don't. call it complaining if you will, i call it just not liking a song. the vocals just blow, imho, and render what might have been a decent tune unlistenable.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:04

Did they airbrush Bill outta this version?
I Can't tell...

Posted by: praline ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:10

Yeah.... "great song ever", and so on and so on...

Was the same for the pst ten years each time they release something...

Dont stop ? Best song ever.
Oh no not you again ? Best song ever since Gimme shelter.
Back of my hand ? Best blues song of the century.
Stones in Austin for the Biggest Bang ? Best live ever.

Posted by: praline ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:11

And obviously, in 2 months, everyone here will have completely forgotten the "best song ever". grinning smiley

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:14

praline

I still think that Back of my hand is one of the best blues from the Stones in the last 20+ years.
But man, these guitar licks almost made me cry. Welcome back Mick Taylor, you've been dearly missed.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:15

praline

Time will tell if you're right, but I honestly do think it's the best in a long time, if for no other reason than it has the classic line up of Jagger/Richards/Watts/Wyman/Taylor(!) and the track originates in the Exile era and has that great vibe. This is no "Back Of My Hand".

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:34

Maybe this information is already contained in one of these 'Plundered' threads, but is there any definitive statement as to whether Taylor's playing is from the original track (71-72) or new (09-10)?

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:35

Cafaro
Thank you for posting!

After 5 listens, I must say that I am not impressed. It may have once been an Exile outtake but now it sounds like a ABB outtake or something from a MJ solo album.

If you compare it to Exile material , it just doesn't jive with other outtakes that we have heard before.

Mick's vocal and Don Was' production have, to me, taken away any Exile type vibe the song may have once had.

I dont know, I kind of feel like I am getting ripped off. It just doesnt sound like a Stones song from 1969-1971. It's like they are trying to pass off a song that didnt really belong. At least with the Ya-Ya's reissue, we got "real" stuff from the tour.

I really hope the other songs are more Exile than this one.

Cafaro has this exactly right.

It does sound like an outtake from a recent Stones/Jagger album.

It does not compare with other Exile outtakes, or Exile in general, because it doesn't sound like the rest of that album. Which you can thank Don Was and Mick for.

Cafaro's right, it just doesn't sound like a song from 69-71. It sounds to me like they took a song from that era and tried to modernize it too much. They should have left it alone, except for whatever was necessary to make it a complete song if it wasn't finished.

And they should have left Don Was at home.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:40

heard the song on q107 on the ride home this afternoon. song sounded awesome with the windows down on a beautiful spring morning. love the tune. glad it found the light of day.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:54

micwer
praline

I still think that Back of my hand is one of the best blues from the Stones in the last 20+ years.
But man, these guitar licks almost made me cry. Welcome back Mick Taylor, you've been dearly missed.

thumbs up

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:06

Plundered My Soul is a shorterm pleasure pretty much ruined by Jagger's vocal. It has the early seventies measured tempo and groove, and Taylor is particuarly effective, yet it is never going to account for anything longterm. If Jagger had shown a little more restraint and sensitivity within his vocal it would have been far more effective. The most satisfying feature is the rewarding reintroduction of Mick Taylor. I still like the mood of Plundered My Soul to pretty much everything post Tattoo You, yet really that's because it's a mild reminder of greater things when the Stones were in their prime.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:08

JumpingKentFlash
It's a good outtake for sure, but to say that it's their best song in 25 years? Pffff. Not even close.

exactly!!!, its a nice tune but not even close to best thing in 2 plus decades , there is a reason it was not on exile folks, but all in all iam quite happy with it, at least its something new, sort of

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:09

praline

A huge exaggeration. In fact, a complete fabrication.

Especially as youve registered here just two years ago and every one of the examples youve given was released some considerable time before that.

No one AFAIK ever said or suggested anything of the sort.

If they had done, they'd have been laughed out of here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 00:10 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:19

to be honest IMO jagger does a fairly nice job sounding like the 72 mick

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:20

boogie1969
Cafaro's right, it just doesn't sound like a song from 69-71. It sounds to me like they took a song from that era and tried to modernize it too much. They should have left it alone, except for whatever was necessary to make it a complete song if it wasn't finished.

Isn't that exactly what they did...completed an unfinished song.

Btw, I have tons of Exile-era outtakes and I've never heard this track in any form. I have great instrumental versions of both Dancing in the Light and Aladdin Story, so I'm curious to see if the Deluxe versions will have vocals (new or old).

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:20

StonesTod
ghostryder13
going from a bigger bang to plundered my soul is like going from a diet of tunafish to a lobster dinner. i feel this is the best stones song that's been released in the past 15-20 yrs you got wyman, taylor, jagger, watts and richards together again and yet some people still complain.

you like it as do others. still others, like me, don't. call it complaining if you will, i call it just not liking a song. the vocals just blow, imho, and render what might have been a decent tune unlistenable.

+1

Drew

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:25

Jagger sounds nothing like 72 Mick!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:28

Most of the comments are completely rubbish.
This is NO No. 1 hitsingle - these are leftovers from Exile.
The song is great - overshines lots of the music that's on the market today (better than Timberland and otehr crap).
Jagger sings great consider his age - are we sure there were usable vocals from 1971/1972? Great groove, guitar, rythm.
What else can you get from a leftover.
Funny enough - thinking of "leftover" / or "not considereed songs" - Satisfaction was not supposed to be a No. 1 and Start Me Up was initially a so so reggea song and then they turned into big hits.
Concluded - PMS is great (not fantastic), but very good compared to lots of the crap that's around on the marked.
Imagine HANSI HINTERSEER being a hitman with his crap, why can't Stones have No. 1 with this song?

Date: April 17, 2010 00:28

ajc68
boogie1969

Isn't that exactly what they did...completed an unfinished song.

Btw, I have tons of Exile-era outtakes and I've never heard this track in any form. I have great instrumental versions of both Dancing in the Light and Aladdin Story, so I'm curious to see if the Deluxe versions will have vocals (new or old).

They do have vocals. The only instrumental on the bonus CD is "Title 5". The samples have been uploaded on other threads. They're also different versions as the timings are different to what was bootlegged. 'So Divine' (Aladdin Story) has a new vocal according to a mate of mine who's heard the entire thing and from the samples I think he's right. 'Dancing in the Light' I'm not 100% sure about, but it could be an old vocal.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:30

It's an OK song, but it does add something "new" to the official catalog.

The question remains: we you buy EOMS again just for these new hybrids?

Personally, yes, I will.

I hope that it will be a successful release -- only this will result in any more reworkings of unfinished songs.

Date: April 17, 2010 00:30

mtaylor
Most of the comments are completely rubbish.
This is NO No. 1 hitsingle - these are leftovers from Exile.
The song is great - overshines lots of the music that's on the market today (better than Timberland and otehr crap).
Jagger sings great consider his age - are we sure there were usable vocals from 1971/1972? Great groove, guitar, rythm.
What else can you get from a leftover.
Funny enough - thinking of "leftover" / or "not considereed songs" - Satisfaction was not supposed to be a No. 1 and Start Me Up was initially a so so reggea song and then they turned into big hits.
Concluded - PMS is great (not fantastic), but very good compared to lots of the crap that's around on the marked.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:32

Edward Twining
Jagger sounds nothing like 72 Mick!

Do you sound like 72 Edward Twinning, if there was an Edward Twinning in '72?

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:38

Great work, great voice and brilliant guitar work.
The best way to dust off the old tapes.
Who cares it has a 2009 flavour spread over the songs. It's their own work. Let them do it the way they thinks it's the best. Otherwise these gems never see the day of light.

Loads of thanks to Mick Jagger to invite Mick Taylor to the overdub sessions last October in London.

This is the result when the two Micks are back in the studio again.

Hope there will follow more of those sessions.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:41

Gazza
praline

Especially as youve registered here just two years ago and every one of the examples youve given was released some considerable time before that.

I agree that the poster may be exaggerating, but he/she is correct in his/her larger point: whenever the Stones release something new, there is a large segment of this board that praises it to the skies. ABB being a perfect example.

Drew

LOVE IT
Posted by: doster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:49

Trying to calm my Stones hunger down, but I love this.

Date: April 17, 2010 00:55

drewmaster
Gazza
praline

I agree that the poster may be exaggerating, but he/she is correct in his/her larger point: whenever the Stones release something new, there is a large segment of this board that praises it to the skies. ABB being a perfect example.

Drew

Always the way when there's a huge 'drought'. By the same token, there's always a tirade of sweeping dismissal by some who think that anything after 1972/1981/1995 etc is automatically going to be rubbish.

I just dont think its justifiable to get expectations or hopes up on the quality of material that is (for the most part) leftovers and which has been marketed as such.

If the Stones DO start to release a shitload of studio material from their archives after this, then whether theyve been touched up or just left 'as is', a LOT of people stand to be very underwhelmed indeed. Expecting leftovers to be of a high standard is being overly ambitious. Theres nothing to suggest that the Stones' archives are crammed full of material that is remotely on a par with their finest work, and expecting finished works of genius from leftovers from a DOUBLE album released just 12 months after their previous masterpiece is unrealistic.

From that perspective, its a better song than I'd imagined it would be.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:00

Mick sounds great! This can only mean that he CHOSE to adopt that brutally amateurish tone-deaf timbre on ABB and on the last 2 live albums. Why couldn't he sing like this? He clearly still can......

Also, does anyone know which ones have new vocals recorded over them? And which ones have original vocals, if any?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 01:04 by it's_all_wrong.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home