Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: vulcano in Iceland ! (OT)
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 17, 2010 18:11

What 's the name of the second vulcano that is supposed to get in blast too ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 19:24

SwayStones
What 's the name of the second vulcano that is supposed to get in blast too ?

Katla, I think.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 19:28

yes Katla.

Date: April 17, 2010 19:40

[www.ruv.is]

picture from last night,the eruption produces ligtnings.

Date: April 17, 2010 19:56

[http.ruv.straumar.is]

a close up fram eyjafjallajökull this morning
check out 1.20, some power,

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 17, 2010 19:59

studiorambo
If I was booked to board a flight from Heathrow to Singapore to Melbourne on Sunday morning, should I be expecting the flight to lift off?

well, have you booked a flight?

then better keep in touch with the airport and airline.

Flight cancellation update
Flights suspended until 07:00 tomorrow, Sunday 18 April

Last updated: 15:00, 17 April 2010

Following the latest advice from NATS, all flights to and from all BAA airports are suspended until 07:00 tomorrow at the earliest. Passengers due to fly today should not travel to these airports until further notice, and should remain in touch with their airlines.

We expect NATS to provide a further update around 21:00 today. We appreciate the continued patience of passengers at this difficult time and will provide updates as often as possible.
[www.heathrowairport.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 17, 2010 22:46

Most flights in Norway canceled for 3 days now. All train tickets sold out. The vulcano might go on for two years, like last time it was active. Hopefully the wind turn into northbound but they say it will not happen until may be next week. Rental cars cost a fortune if you get one, and John Cleese just paid 5,000 us dollars worth of money for a taxi ride from Oslo to Brussels, where he will take the train to England. Travel in Europe is simply all messed up...

Bjornulf

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 17, 2010 23:00

FolkyFireKitten1
From [www.planetecampus.com]
(Sorry, the site is in French)

Wow,the cloud that ate Europe.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 17, 2010 23:08

Flights from Heathrow now definitely suspended until 13.00 on Sunday.

If you aren't trying to get on a plane, this has been a lovely couple of days for us west London residents - no aircraft noise at all for the first time in many many years, and the weather has been absolutely beautiful today - cloudless blue skies. Just the HEATHROW AIRPORT CLOSED sign on the M3 and a rather pretty sunset to remind us of the ash cloud.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 18, 2010 02:32

on behalf of Mother nature Iceland,i apologize for those inconivencies

Oh, 6853, that volcano ain't your fault, but this may be:

Date: April 18, 2010 11:12

great clip EG smiling smiley
i like this concept of blending rock & comic, deadly combination. zappa is a favourite of mine

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 13:13

I'm listening to Plundered My Soul from Essaouira, Morocco. Am stuck here because of the vulcano ash. Could be stuck here for another week....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 18, 2010 13:24

A Scottish gent has his say!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 18, 2010 16:00

How an Icelandic volcano helped spark the French Revolution

Profound effects of eight-month eruption in 1783 caused chaos from US to Egypt, say experts
By Greg Neale

Just over 200 years ago an Icelandic volcano erupted with catastrophic consequences for weather, agriculture and transport across the northern hemisphere – and helped trigger the French revolution.

The Laki volcanic fissure in southern Iceland erupted over an eight-month period from 8 June 1783 to February 1784, spewing lava and poisonous gases that devastated the island's agriculture, killing much of the livestock. It is estimated that perhapsa quarter of Iceland's population died through the ensuing famine.

Then, as now, there were more wide-ranging impacts. In Norway, the Netherlands, the British Isles, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, in North America and even Egypt, the Laki eruption had its consequences, as the haze of dust and sulphur particles thrown up by the volcano was carried over much of the northern hemisphere.

Ships moored up in many ports, effectively fogbound. Crops were affected as the fall-out from the continuing eruption coincided with an abnormally hot summer. A clergyman, the Rev Sir John Cullum, wrote to the Royal Society that barley crops "became brown and withered … as did the leaves of the oats; the rye had the appearance of being mildewed".

The British naturalist Gilbert White described that summer in his classic Natural History of Selborne as "an amazing and portentous one … the peculiar haze, or smokey fog, that prevailed for many weeks in this island, and in every part of Europe, and even beyond its limits, was a most extraordinary appearance, unlike anything known within the memory of man.

"The sun, at noon, looked as blank as a clouded moon, and shed a rust-coloured ferruginous light on the ground, and floors of rooms; but was particularly lurid and blood-coloured at rising and setting. At the same time the heat was so intense that butchers' meat could hardly be eaten on the day after it was killed; and the flies swarmed so in the lanes and hedges that they rendered the horses half frantic … the country people began to look with a superstitious awe, at the red, louring aspect of the sun."

Across the Atlantic, Benjamin Franklin wrote of "a constant fog over all Europe, and a great part of North America".

The disruption to weather patterns meant the ensuing winter was unusually harsh, with consequent spring flooding claiming more lives. In America the Mississippi reportedly froze at New Orleans.

The eruption is now thought to have disrupted the Asian monsoon cycle, prompting famine in Egypt. Environmental historians have also pointed to the disruption caused to the economies of northern Europe, where food poverty was a major factor in the build-up to the French revolution of 1789.

Volcanologists at the Open University's department of earth sciences say the impact of the Laki eruptions had profound consequences.

Dr John Murray said: "Volcanic eruptions can have significant effects on weather patterns for from two to four years, which in turn have social and economic consequences. We shouldn't discount their possible political impacts."

Greg Neale is founding editor of BBC History Magazine

[www.guardian.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: April 18, 2010 17:58

I was supposed to fly back from Boston to Switzerland on Friday evening after a department meeting here. We are with 35 colleagues and all stuck in this wonderful city for unknown time... in a hotel luckily :-)

Sjouke

Date: April 18, 2010 20:42

Edith Grove

No flights going to Valhalla either.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 20, 2010 00:09

sweetcharmedlife
Edith Grove

No flights going to Valhalla either.winking smiley

i like this .. !

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:19

There was no thunderstorm! lightning are caused by electrical discharge within the ash column...

amazing pictures of the 16 April here:

[www.swisseduc.ch]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:38

So if it's finished we got a big ash hole

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:42

*Mother Nature* or an *Act of God* call it what ya like.The shape of that landscape will never be the same again.

Date: April 20, 2010 01:54

colonial
*Mother Nature* or an *Act of God* call it what ya like.The shape of that landscape will never be the same again.

yes you better be ready for redrawing your Atlas..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 20, 2010 04:48

More pictures: [www.boston.com]

Date: April 20, 2010 05:43

Sister Marie

There was no thunderstorm! lightning are caused by electrical discharge within the ash column...

amazing pictures of the 16 April here:

[www.swisseduc.ch]
Wow,what an absolutely swurreal looking picture. Amazing.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:41

Looks like something out of a *Nickelback* concert with the Pyrotechnics man having a bad day.smoking smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 21, 2010 13:09

great pics:

[www.boston.com]

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 16:50

Things are set to be getting back to normal now the airspace has been reopened.

I live under one of the UK's main air routes, or "airways" as they are known, and usually you can see about five or six vapour trails off aircraft at once if its a clear day. Its been unusual the last few days not seeing anything, with the sky clear. I saw two aircraft this morning, but apart from that, nothing, so its not over.

Date: April 21, 2010 18:11

This thread needs a theme song

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 12, 2010 03:47

What We Know From the Icelandic Volcano
Geologist Elizabeth Cottrell discusses the effects of the Icelandic volcanic eruption and the work of the Smithsonian’s Global Volcanism Program
By Erica R. Hendry
Smithsonian.com, April 22, 2010

While geologist don't know how long the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull could go on for, the last eruption in 1821 went until 1823.
S. Olafs / epa / Corbis

Smithsonian’s Global Volcanism Program has been following the eruption of the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull. Elizabeth Cottrell, a geologist at the National Museum of Natural History, spoke with Smithsonian magazine’s Erica R. Hendry about the nature of the volcano and the possible consequences of its eruption.

Could you give us a sense of how big this volcano is? And how long could the eruption go on?
I would say we don’t know how long the eruption could go on. The last eruption started in 1821 and went until 1823. This volcano is not one of the well-known volcanic centers of Iceland. Its neighbors—Katla, Hekla, Krafla—those are what we think of as the major volcanic centers of Iceland. It just happens to be that the ash from this volcano is going over a very populated area with a lot of heavy air travel. That just goes to show that you can still cause a lot of havoc to humans even with a volcano like this. The thing that makes this an interesting eruption is it’s not "effusive," meaning it’s not strictly a runny lava coming out like we often see in Hawaii. It’s an explosive eruption. An eight-point scale called the “volcanic explosivity index“ (VEI) allows you to compare eruptions and volcanoes. A firm number won't be assigned for some time, but so far, about 110 million cubic meters of tephra have been ejected during this eruption, and the plume has gone about nine kilometers into the air, so that’s a VEI of 4. For reference, the 1991 eruption of Pinatubo in the Philippines had a VEI equal to 6.

Could the eruption set off other volcanoes nearby?
In the historical record, when Eyjafjallajökull has erupted, Katla has also erupted. The nature of eruption triggering, though, is not well understood. I don’t think anyone is going to definitely predict right now that Katla will erupt. The historical record would be the only reason to suspect that, but right now I don’t think there are signs of unrest at Katla.

How is Smithsonian’s Global Volcanism Program keeping track of the Icelandic volcano?
The Global Volcanism Program documents eruptive histories for all known active volcanoes on the planet for which we can document physical information, such as the VEI, eruption durations and dates. You can go to Eyjafjallajökull on the program’s web page right now and get the history of this volcano. It is the first place people go to find the basic information about a volcano.

We have a network of individuals around the world who send us information. Our scientists here compile that information, and we have someone stationed here from the USGS Volcano Hazards Program who puts out a weekly report of eruptive activity all over the globe. A subset of this information gets compiled into the volcano reference file, which is a database of all active volcanoes globally. The Global Volcanism Program has been in operation since 1968 and we look back at least 10,000 years on a global scale—we call any volcano “active” if it has erupted in the last 10,000 years.

How many volcanoes erupt in a year, and how many of those cause problems for people?
About 70, is our standard answer. In the last ten years, there was a low of 64 in 2001 and 2003. There was a high of 78 in 2008. There are 20 to 30 active at any given time. That does not include seafloor volcanoes that are erupting all the time, because hundreds of volcanoes on the seafloor may be erupting at any given minute.

Locally, probably all volcanoes cause problems for people. In Iceland, for example, the glacier that sits atop Eyjafjallajökull is melting, which is causing catastrophic flooding in Iceland. The Soufrière Hills eruption in the Caribbean caused an evacuation of the entire island of Montserrat; that’s in the recent memory of the public. You can look at Hawaii right now. Ongoing eruptions there shut down roads all the time. I think Eyjafjallajökull is unprecedented in terms of the scope of the air travel shutdown. In other cases, there have been isolated incidents of planes going down or losing power due to a volcanic ash cloud, especially in Indonesia, but because of the location of the volcano, Eyjafjallajökull seems to be an unprecedented event in terms of global, far-reaching consequences.

Read more: [www.smithsonianmag.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home