Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones-Who do they vote for?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: May 6, 2010 22:41

About the UK election today. Do we know who the Stones members are voting for? I know Mick always vote for the Labour Party, but what about the others?

Re: Stones-Who do they vote for?
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 6, 2010 22:47

Who cares?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 6, 2010 22:47

I predict a short life span for this thread.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2010 22:52

Kuntaman
About the UK election today. Do we know who the Stones members are voting for? I know Mick always vote for the Labour Party, but what about the others?

Mick Is Labour? That’s a new one. Wasn’t his mother a member of the Tory party? Unless Keith has flown over to his constituency especially, I guess he’s voted by post or not all. I reckon the latter.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:00

Stones would vote for Angie (Angela Merkel)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:20

Mick famously says his heart is Labour but his brain is Tory. Anyone making the amount of money that rock stars make would naturally vote for a party which sets a lower tax rate. Which brings us nicely to the title of their imminent album release and the reason they became tax exiles (on Main Street).

However there are notable examples, step forward Sir Paul McCartney who stayed in the UK despite its punitive taxes. But of course there are loads of other UK high earners nowadays who either accept high taxes or get their accountants to set up off-shore bank accounts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-07 00:01 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: nkt44 ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:32

Mick? Definitely a Tory.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:37

Perhaps they all joined the Clegg love-in

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:37

keith is american nowadays

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:40

Well, I earn a lot of money (though as a real Dutchman I'm very thriftly, especially as for myself), but I vote for higher income taxes for those who earn more. So I would never speak of "punitive" taxes. But as for Mick: LibDem of course: economically liberal, immaterially the same.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:44

<I can't imagine a world without the Rolling Stones! (A. Erthegun)>

Errare humanum est.

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:44

I have always thought they were all Tory, but I'm not so sure, because I recall an interview from the 80s where Keith criticized them.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2010 23:46

Rik

Err, no he isn't. He's a U.S. resident - not a citizen. He can't even vote in the States.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2010 00:04

kleermaker
Well, I earn a lot of money (though as a real Dutchman I'm very thriftly, especially as for myself), but I vote for higher income taxes for those who earn more. So I would never speak of "punitive" taxes. But as for Mick: LibDem of course: economically liberal, immaterially the same.

Mick - Financially dissatisfied, sexually satisfied, philosophically trying."

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 7, 2010 00:07

Big Al
Rik

Err, no he isn't. He's a U.S. resident - not a citizen. He can't even vote in the States.

yeah, meant thatsmiling smiley, drinking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 7, 2010 01:23

BigAl..I couldnt imagine Keith flying from the States to London just to vote.Come think of that I couldnt imagine anyone doing that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2010 03:01

Big Al
Kuntaman

Mick Is Labour? That’s a new one. Wasn’t his mother a member of the Tory party?

Dont know about his mum, but I cant imagine thats got anything to do with it. Does everyone vote the same as their mum?

Mick was courted by Tom Driberg to be a possible Labour candidate in the 60s, and when asked 'are you a Labour man?' by BBC TV in '83 following Kinnock's election as party leader replied 'Well, I'm certainly NOT a Tory by ANY means!'

I think he's 'publicly' Labour, but a closet Tory myself. I would find it hard to believe that someone as concerned with maximising his income as Mick is would still vote Labour.

Date: May 7, 2010 04:50

Out of all the British Prime Ministers that have come and gone since The Stones were formed and theres been a few now I think the only one to have a Rolling Stones album in their music collection would have to be Tony Blair.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 7, 2010 05:36

Bill was just on the BBC coverage from a boat party on the Thames.

Very much a Conservative as i expected and was hoping for a Cameron win.Said he was born working class but Labour had never done it for him

Can't believe i'm still watching this at 3.35am

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2010 05:38

Well, we now know about one Stone - Bill has just appeared among the celebrity guests on the BBC's election coverage and says he is a Conservative, because he was brought up in a very poor working-class family and "Labour did nothing for us - and they never gave the Stones any gigs either".

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2010 07:49

I'm a Yank, so correct me if I'm wrong: First hung parliament since 1974? What's a monarch to do? You really must do away with the first past the post system.

Date: May 7, 2010 10:18

Our 6pm main TV news tonight led with the British election which is to be expected then the second time in about 4 weeks another Stones story about 10 minutes into the news (Satisfaction 45 years)Then continued on with the rest of the important world news.Normally any other station it wouldnt get a mention until the last few minutes of the hour.Im starting to think the head of our TV ONE news is a big Stones fan..I like it.smoking smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 7, 2010 11:51

It's now officially a hung parliament (mathematically impossible for any one party to get an overall majority of seats) - and the BBC commentator has just christened it "the Mick Jagger election - no satisfaction!"

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:11

In 2001 interview Charlie Watts said that he has never voted and never will.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 7, 2010 12:15

Bill Wyman was on tv this morning, saying he voted Tory. Jagger definitely votes Tory. Charlie would too - if he voted. Ronnie probably doesn't give a shit, and I doubt Keith votes.

Date: May 7, 2010 14:14

colonial
Our 6pm main TV news tonight led with the British election which is to be expected then the second time in about 4 weeks another Stones story about 10 minutes into the news (Satisfaction 45 years)Then continued on with the rest of the important world news.Normally any other station it wouldnt get a mention until the last few minutes of the hour.Im starting to think the head of our TV ONE news is a big Stones fan..I like it.smoking smiley
This Dude whose running our main TV Station im sure of it now hes gotta be a Stones fan he only done a replay off our 6pm news of(Satisfaction 45 years) on our 11pm news.But this time he led with it then went onto say lets get onto some just as important news the British election.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 7, 2010 14:46

71Tele
I'm a Yank, so correct me if I'm wrong: First hung parliament since 1974? What's a monarch to do? You really must do away with the first past the post system.

And replace it with proportional representation, leading to weak, ineffective minority governments relying on under-the-table deals with small (and in some cases extremist) parties so that they can get anything done?

Yep. Sign us up for that. The pound has plummeted already today due to the uncertainty that comes with not having a government that has a majority of the seats.

First past the post works just fine,thanks. If you abolish it, no party will ever have a majority. You end up with small parties that hardly anyone has voted for having power and influence which far exceeds their mandate.

Cameron will probably form a minority government then we'll have another election in a few months so that he can try and get a majority.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 15:24

colonial
BigAl..I couldnt imagine Keith flying from the States to London just to vote.Come think of that I couldnt imagine anyone doing that.

Well, he normally flies all around the world just to play guitar for 2 hours :-)

No seriously, you are right. I would not fly 12 hours to vote either.

Date: May 7, 2010 15:25

Gazza
71Tele

And replace it with proportional representation, leading to weak, ineffective minority governments relying on under-the-table deals with small (and in some cases extremist) parties so that they can get anything done?

Yep. Sign us up for that. The pound has plummeted already today due to the uncertainty that comes with not having a government that has a majority of the seats.

First past the post works just fine,thanks. If you abolish it, no party will ever have a majority. You end up with small parties that hardly anyone has voted for having power and influence which far exceeds their mandate.

Cameron will probably form a minority government then we'll have another election in a few months so that he can try and get a majority.
Gazza..yea thats what weve got here in New Zealand a MMP Goverment when they brought it in here they spoke of now well it works in Germany.Its just one major party with 2 or 3 other small parties that hardly no one has heard of.. made up of no bodies half the time.Alot of people want to go back to the old Westminster system of Goverment.But we are stuck with MMP we just have to put up with it now I dont like it not one little bit.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 16:51

Check out "Being Mick" there's a hinch!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home