Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Photog. Bob Gruen - *With Weird Jagger Update*
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 9, 2008 05:05

Sort of OT--I'm interviewing photographer Bob Gruen tomorrow for my radio show--anything anyone wants to know? He has shot some of (I think) the best Stones shots ever--just check his site:

[www.bobgruen.com]

not to mention the Lennon/NYC shirt, Lennon/Statue of Liberty and on and on and on--

So if there's anything burning, preferably Stones-related, post before 10am PST on Thursday 10/9 (when I'm heading up to LA) and I'll try and get it in the mix.

(me, I'm curious about the Jagger/72 kneeling at the Record Plant shot - R.32 on that link above--he's sitting on grass outside--so where was that at the studio--and what session?)

chris

www.chrisepting.com

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 21:12 by hbwriter.

Re: OT - BOB GRUEN
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 9, 2008 06:46

He just wrote the introduction, and provided the photos for the new Clash live at Shea Stadium disc. Might be something topical to discuss. I also believe he introduced Keith to Joey Ramone, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Date: October 9, 2008 07:12

Yeah, they sent the Clash set over with his new Dolls so I could read the liner notes--terrific stuff--I forgot that David Johansen open that show--I'll ask about Keith/Joey--great question--will report back

thanks, 50 amp

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 9, 2008 07:31

Well he put together that amazing DVD of his NY Dolls footage, ALL DOLLED UP -- he's gotta have some cool Dolls anecdotes.

Date: October 9, 2008 07:41

GD--yeah, when I think of him the NY Dolls are the first thing that come to mind--when I was a teenager in the 70s I was addicted to Rock Scene Magazine in NY--basically a scrapbook of the NY Rock underbelly--i think every issue featured at least one Dolls spread--that DVD is excellent by the way

I promise some good Dolls stuff

ce

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2008 08:01

hbwriter....

How about Bob's best Stones story...You know bit of gossip
There must be a couple of good yarns he can tell ya.....

What's happening here...mischief..???

ROCKMAN

Date: October 9, 2008 08:33

Rockman--I'll ask! is that tina turner there?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2008 10:17

Tina Yep...Yep!!!... that's Tina...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 9, 2008 17:17

I would love to know what his memories are from MSG '72.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 9, 2008 17:27

hbwriter
Sort of OT--I'm interviewing photographer Bob Gruen tomorrow for my radio show--anything anyone wants to know? He has shot some of (I think) the best Stones shots ever--just check his site:

[www.bobgruen.com]

not to mention the Lennon/NYC shirt, Lennon/Statue of Liberty and on and on and on--

So if there's anything burning, preferably Stones-related, post before 10am PST on Thursday 10/9 (when I'm heading up to LA) and I'll try and get it in the mix.

(me, I'm curious about the Jagger/72 kneeling at the Record Plant shot - R.32 on that link above--he's sitting on grass outside--so where was that at the studio--and what session?)

chris

www.chrisepting.com

i have met bob a couple of times over the years...nice guy...bot some black and white Keith Richards shots of the Wino's tour...great photographer...

Re: PHOTOG. BOB GRUEN - STONES CONTENT
Date: October 10, 2008 01:10

got back a little while ago from interviewing Gruen--some cool stuff--i'll review tapes later but off the top:

"I also believe he introduced Keith to Joey Ramone, but I'm not 100% certain on that." - 50 amp--

I asked him about this--didn't happen--though he did introduce Joey to Dylan

On the 72 tour--he loved the lighting (mirror) for his shots--stones only allowed photogs to shoot first song or two--so he shot most at MSG from the first few rows--

his favorite tour was 75--CREEM had him shoot the cover in baton rouge--he said he cannot visit the garden today and not think of 75--he just saw madonna, said she comes out in some device that opens, and it reminded him of the lotus (though not nearly as good of course)

he shot lots of jagger backstage at philly '82 for the who/clash shows

he shot johansen and jagger together once at a zeppelin party to dispel the myth that they were the "same person" smiling smiley

most telling though--a the record plant in 1972, at a lennon session (the shot I reference up top) a group of college students were videotaping interviews with elephant's memory--they begged mick for an interview and gruen said jagger said no problem, sat, answered everything, gave them more than they bargained for--where is that tape?????????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-10 01:31 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 10, 2008 03:46

Thanks for the report, Chris...say, is there any chance for us in Europe to listen to your radio show?...it sounds like it's a mighty interesting interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-10 03:46 by Sohoe.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 10, 2008 06:06

hbwriter
GD--yeah, when I think of him the NY Dolls are the first thing that come to mind--when I was a teenager in the 70s I was addicted to Rock Scene Magazine in NY--basically a scrapbook of the NY Rock underbelly--i think every issue featured at least one Dolls spread--that DVD is excellent by the way

I promise some good Dolls stuff

ce

Rock Scene was the greatest!

They had coverage of ALL the NY bands at least two years before anyone else did!

What was amazing was how they mixed features on the Stones or Zep with unknown artists. All of those unsigned groups got the star treatment...on one page there would be a feature on the Stones (photo feature--there were no real articles) and then you'd turn to the next page and there would be a story about Wayne County or David Johansen doing a show for rent money. Or Debbie Harry cooking dinner.

Putting the unknowns next to the legends made the unknowns seem already famous.

For those of us who didn't live in New York, when people like Patti Smith, the Ramones, Television, Blondie, Talking Heads, etc. finally put their records out it was like hearing the voice of someone that you had been a pen pal with but had never met before. Rock Scene portrayed them as budding superstars, but also as real people that you were rooting for.

I don't know if Gruen took the photos, but one of the most memorable features to me was one that documented a trip to Japan that Johansen and Sylvain and some other guys took as the "NY Dolls" a year or so after the actual original Dolls had split up.

Johansen had been shown in a previous issue doing a small club gig--I think they actually said it was to pay the rent--but in Japan they were playing at a baseball stadium! For them it had to have been surreal...like a dream they didn't want to wake up from.

Imagine going back home and playing a tiny club after that.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 10, 2008 06:18

>most telling though--a the record plant in 1972, at a lennon session (the shot I reference up top) a group of college students were videotaping interviews with elephant's memory--they begged mick for an interview and gruen said jagger said no problem, sat, answered everything, gave them more than they bargained for--where is that tape?????????

That must have been the sessions for Yoko's APPROXIMATELY INFINITE UNIVERSE; there's a photo of Mick w/J&Y sitting at a piano and I'm fairly sure Gruen took it.

Date: October 10, 2008 06:46

Loog--awesome post--thanks--you summed up Rock Scene perfectly

as for this -- "I don't know if Gruen took the photos, but one of the most memorable features to me was one that documented a trip to Japan that Johansen and Sylvain and some other guys took as the "NY Dolls" a year or so after the actual original Dolls had split up." amazing memory you have

Gruen told me today that not only did he set that gig up for the Dolls/shoot it (opening for Jeff Beck) but it may have changed history--an abbreviated version of the Dolls went to Japan for that--the promoter was simply happy with Johansen/Sylvain--but while DJ and Sylvain went to Japan play, Sylvain missed his Sex Pistols "audition" -

and GD--I believe you are right on that--I'm seeing Gruen again Saturday--will confirm--his memory is crazy

Date: October 10, 2008 07:03

Sohoe--shoot me your address and I'll send you a link when it's up

chris@chrisepting.com

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 10, 2008 07:31

what do u mean his memory is crazy?

also, did he shoot the stones any earlier than 72?

p

Date: October 10, 2008 07:38

crazy *good*

no--72 was his first tour

Date: October 10, 2008 07:56

The shot of Mick and Keith from '72 might be my favorite Stones shot ever.

And the one of Jagger that they used for the Ladies and Gentlemen poster...his expression always reminded me of a shot from the movie Potemkin...the close-up of the woman's face near the end of the famous Odessa Steps sequence...

Date: October 10, 2008 08:02

geez, loog--awesome calls on those--excellent! which jagger richards from 72?

Date: October 10, 2008 08:09

this was us in the gallery today--me on left, Gruen on right--some images are visible behind us

Date: October 10, 2008 08:14

hbwriter
geez, loog--awesome calls on those--excellent! which jagger richards from 72?

The Mick/Keith shot was C-25 on Gruen's website.

The Ladies and Gents/Jagger shot was R-33

Date: October 10, 2008 08:18

Loog--right there with you--that shot is all-time--hard to pinpoint why but you see the exhaustion in them, with the energy--it's the end of the tour--but it's still nyc--that shot hangs HUGE in the gallery where Gruen is opening in L.A.

i'll report back after the opening night party--he told me the genesis book (Crossfire Hurricane) is impossible to find--even for him!

Date: October 10, 2008 08:48

may also be chatting with Ollie Brown next week--will keep posted

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 10, 2008 09:36

hbwriter
may also be chatting with Ollie Brown next week--will keep posted

Get more 1975 tour stories, especially the lotus stage.
I find that fascinating.
Funny how Ollie's been's kind of ignored regarding the Stones' history...
unless he's not interested in talking about it.

Date: October 10, 2008 09:41

tomk--it was funny--he practically got misty talking about that lotus stage--loved it--he was (is) a stones diehard and it seemed like the chance to shoot them as he did was a huge thrill

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 10, 2008 09:52

hbwriter
tomk--it was funny--he practically got misty talking about that lotus stage--loved it--he was (is) a stones diehard and it seemed like the chance to shoot them as he did was a huge thrill

You should write a book about that stage.
It deserves it as it's the best stage ever.
Re Ollie: He's in real estate now, and he almost came to the house my wife
and I had on the market a few years ago. Alas, he never showed.
Sent plenty of e-mails, though.

Date: October 10, 2008 10:05

tomk--it might make a good chapter on the best rock and roll productions of all time--start with diamond dogs, tota, the wall, etc.

Date: October 10, 2008 16:12

hbwriter
Loog--right there with you--that shot is all-time--hard to pinpoint why but you see the exhaustion in them, with the energy--it's the end of the tour--but it's still nyc--that shot hangs HUGE in the gallery where Gruen is opening in L.A.

I'm pretty sure it was Rock Scene that once had a little feature on Aerosmith getting ready for a tour in their rehearsal room in Boston, and behind them on the wall was a HUGE photo of Mick and Keith from '72...might have been that Gruen shot.

Makes sense that it would be there. Steve and Joe obviously seemed smitten with the Glimmers. (Joe had Keith's '72 streaks in his hair for years!)

One thing that I always sensed about Gruen is that he must be a really nice guy. Because he had so many shots with huge stars like Lennon where they seemed so relaxed.

Being a great photographer is a combination of technical skill, a good eye, a great sense of timing, and especially in the rock world...a whole lot of luck.

Gruen had so much close access to so many people that he must have made his own luck.

Guys like Ethan Russell and Joel Bernstein were able to get inside inner circles (of the Beatles and CSNY respectively) not only because of their skills. Obviously their subjects didn't mind--or even enjoyed being around them.

Pass my best wishes along to the man. He captured some great moments in time. Back in the day, before we had video everywhere, photography was IT.

If the groups gave us the sound, guys like Gruen gave us the vision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-10 17:21 by loog droog.

Date: October 10, 2008 16:54

Loog--once again you've nailed it

and I think I have that Rock Scene--yeah, they had a Stones shrine in all of their rehearsal spaces

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home