Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: PHOTOG. BOB GRUEN - STONES CONTENT
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 11, 2008 05:27

A footnote you could ask Ollie about is his appearance in the movie BLAME IT ON THE NIGHT which Mick wrote (Merry Clayton was in it as well). Not a very good movie unfortunately.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 11, 2008 06:47

GD--great idea--you guys are the best--there is more knowledge on this site...and just flat out cool people

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 11, 2008 07:35

Great stuff HB. Thanks for sharing. Fascinating stuff.

Date: October 11, 2008 18:32

SCL--my pleasure!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 11, 2008 21:46

Awesome stuff, wish I'd been there at the interview! Not that it matters but I believe it was '81 in Philly, the Tattoo You Tour, not '82. Loved that tour, ALL Stones tours really. Too bad I didn't see this thread until today, too late to ask any questions. Do you happen to know if he shot anything from the Stones' last show of the '75 tour at Rich Stadium, Buffalo?? It was August 8, 1975 to be exact. Don't you think Gruen's eyes are like Pete Townsend's!? He always reminded me of ole Pete.

Date: October 11, 2008 21:54

MChix--the '82 show was the Clash, not the Stones--Jagger was there watching--

I have one more round with Gruen this evening--will ask him though I think for '75 he was just at Baton Rouge and MSG--but I'll ask!

Date: October 11, 2008 22:01

Sorry, HB, I misunderstood. Yes, please do ask about that Buffalo show and one more quick thing if you don't mind; a friend told me that Mick was jacked up on speed and God knows what else all during this tour. I didn't really think that he was, being a lot more conservative with the substance intake than certain other members of the band. I guess it doesn't matter, as long as he survived! The '72 and '75 Tours of America are my favorite Stones tour, even though I love the most recent 3 tours as well. I have followed the Stones since I was around 11 years old, and the thrill has NOT gone out of it for me!! Thanks!tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 11, 2008 22:03

P.S I lOVE that photo of Mick behind you in the shot with Gruen! Am I correct in guessing that it's from the '72 Tour and in Mick's hand is a harmonica. I think the Stones were playing Midnight Rambler and Mick came up for a quick breathe of air!

Date: October 11, 2008 22:28

MC--one of my favorite photos--that's why we're standing there! smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2008 22:43

as far as Mick being jacked up on speed-let me see how deep the discussion gets smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2008 23:13

The L&G poster show was Peter Beard, I thought.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: October 11, 2008 23:35

Have fun tonight for part two!! Yes, don't dig if it's not comfortable to do so. It just might come up naturally. I agree, there are some incredibly cool people on this site, many have become friends of mine. So many really know their stuff, perhaps they recall even more than the band members do!

Date: October 12, 2008 07:17

Loog. MChix, Glam, Rockman--shoot me an email, will ya? Quick question--

([email protected])

so tonight at the Gruen opening bash, while I talk to Gruen, my son (15 years old and an amazing rock and roll fan) talks to Dave Stewart--my son asks about what he's doing with Jagger. Stewart tells him, "We're experimenting with a Wilburys-type supergroup thing" ???

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 12, 2008 07:32

hbwriter
Loog. MChix, Glam, Rockman--shoot me an email, will ya? Quick question--

([email protected])

so tonight at the Gruen opening bash, while I talk to Gruen, my son (15 years old and an amazing rock and roll fan) talks to Dave Stewart--my son asks about what he's doing with Jagger. Stewart tells him, "We're experimenting with a Wilburys-type supergroup thing" ???

geez! really? i'd hope mick would focus on the stones (of course) but i could see it happening.

cool story hb!

Re: Photog. Bob Gruen - *Jagger Update*
Date: October 12, 2008 08:19

the fact that he was telling a teen this (vs. me) seemed to give it some credence smiling smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 12, 2008 13:40

R 34 and R 188 are my favorites
[www.bobgruen.com]

really one of the very best photographer

Date: October 12, 2008 17:13

At the Gruen event last night, also had a good chat with photog Henry Diltz--he shot some great late 60s, early 70s Stones--if you look here you'll find a few

[www.theartofelysium.org]

remember that shot of Steven Still playing piano in (I think ) Amsterdam?

Re: Photog. Bob Gruen - *With Weird Jagger Update*
Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: October 13, 2008 03:04

I guess you found out that the shot outside on the grass was really inside on shag carpet. Bob talks about that in Crossfire Hurricane.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 13, 2008 04:10

hbwriter
At the Gruen event last night, also had a good chat with photog Henry Diltz--he shot some great late 60s, early 70s Stones--if you look here you'll find a few

[www.theartofelysium.org]

remember that shot of Steven Still playing piano in (I think ) Amsterdam?

Yes. I recall that one. I've only seen that one photo, the one of Mick standing next to him as he sits and plays. Stills' stock was pretty high in 1970--you'd think there would be another shot of that appearance.

I recently saw a guy wearing a Henry Diltz t-shirt. It was Jerry Yester, who replaced Zal Yanovsky in the Lovin' Spoonful. Yester was in the Modern Folk Quartet with Diltz (a group which also included Chip Douglas, who produced the great Monkees' Headquarters album)

Diltz had a better career as a musician-turned-photographer than the guy in the Yardbirds did (was it McCarty?) , shooting such memorable images as the first Crosby Stills and Nash album cover.

Prior to that, Diltz took a lot of photos of the Spoonful, and tons of pictures of the Monkees as well.

I'm sure he has plenty of great stories to tell.

Date: October 13, 2008 04:54

thumb--yeah, he explained-- I felt sort of stupid smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 13, 2008 07:58

>> you'd think there would be another shot of that [Amsterdam] appearance. <<

there are a few shots from the Amsterdam show, actually, including a bunch that Chris Walter took backstage.
they don't all include Stephen Stills, but ... they don't all have to :E

Date: October 13, 2008 19:55

Diltz also shot some nice 1969 stuff

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home