Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Taylor Reunion
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 20, 2010 19:04

SIR MICK JAGGER and former ROLLING STONES star MICK TAYLOR have reunited in the studio - 36 years after the guitarist left the group.

Taylor joined the rockers in 1969, replacing Brian Jones in the line-up, but he left the group five years later in 1974 after allegedly falling out with Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards.

But now the musician, who was replaced by Ronnie Wood in the 1970s, has reunited with Jagger - they reportedly headed into the studio to work on a new re-mastered version of the Stones' 1972 album Exile On Main Street.

A source tells Britain's Daily Express that Taylor, who is currently touring the U.K., is providing "new guitar licks" to one of the songs on the album, adding: "He said he's been in the studio with Mick Jagger."

The album is due to be released in May (10).

That's from Contact Music, for all you hardcore Taylor fans. Thought you'd like it.

[www.non-filters.com]

Re: Mick Taylor Reunion
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 20, 2010 19:06

Thanks! Nice to have confirmation...I wonder if we'll be able to tell which are the "new licks"?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 20, 2010 19:23

71Tele
Thanks! Nice to have confirmation...I wonder if we'll be able to tell which are the "new licks"?

I don't know if anyone except MT will really be able to tell (I certainly won't) - but you can bet your boots there will be 789543 posts from people who say they can...

Date: March 20, 2010 19:29

Gives us a little detective work to look forward to. Fun.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 20, 2010 19:52

Green Lady

I don't know if anyone except MT will really be able to tell (I certainly won't) - but you can bet your boots there will be 789543 posts from people who say they can...

It might be rather obvious though.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 20, 2010 20:01

I wonder if he got paid.

Date: March 20, 2010 20:29

I know it doesn't really sound like Mick and Keith's style, but I wonder if they are pushing this whole deluxe edition Exile to make Mick Taylor a little money, in light of the article a few months ago about him being in bad shape financially. It's a nice thought.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 20, 2010 20:44

Considering how Bill dissappeared from the Rarities cd cover, since is a nice change of attitude by them

Date: March 20, 2010 20:52

They should have brought Bill in at at the same time to do bass overdubs!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 20, 2010 20:52

I would't even dream about this a year ago.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 20, 2010 21:19

Here's the article from Daily Express...

[www.express.co.uk]

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 21:29

71Tele
They should have brought Bill in at at the same time to do bass overdubs!

In a different article Mick mentioned the bass and drums were complete on the outtakes, so they didn't need to enhance them. And Wyman was often awol from recording sessions and somebody else would play bass. According to his book, he was often more interested in chasing skirt than recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-21 03:36 by ajc68.

Date: March 20, 2010 21:44

It's pretty likely Bill didn't play bass on the outtakes anyway. If I remember correctly he was absent on a good portion of the Exile songs. Keith, Mick Taylor, and Bill Plummer did about half of the bass lines.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2010 22:17

nonfilter
If I remember correctly he was absent on a good portion of the Exile songs. Keith, Mick Taylor, and Bill Plummer did about half of the bass lines.

[www.non-filters.com]

Which in fact is a shame, Bill being the bass player of the band, and a good one too. As for studio recordings the Stones (read: the Glimmers) didn't really act as a band. I never understood that, though I understand it: it's of course Keith and Mick.

Mick Taylor stated that he could play at his best (abilities) during live performances only and that he never was satisfied with studio work with the Stones. He also stated that the European Tour 1973 was the best one of them all. So those who've stated that he was bored during that 73 Tour have a wrong fantasy. MT wasn't used properly during studio recordings. Which is a shame and is to the detriment of SF and EOMS. Only on GHS he was better used. But even GHS could have been so much better. That's one of the biggest mistakes of the Glimmers: they didn't use their third man well enough and so they lost him. From IORR on it only went downhill.

As for those who are so excited about the expected official release of L&G: do you really think you get anything better than you already have? And I guess you agree that the music comes first. I don't think we get a better musical version than we already have. So why all the excitement? Because it's becoming 'official'?

Btw: what to think about a producer (Miller, much overrated) playing during recordings as if being a member of the band? Very odd in my opinion, certainly if you already have a very apt drummer in your band.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 20, 2010 22:29

me huge fan of charlie of course but miller is fantastic important prescence...sometimes things jell into a crystal creation moment; he was there and copped it, urged it, accomplished it dead on...no harm in that...keith plays bass on sftd; that takes nothing away from bill...imo... in fact, check out bill's endless live versions of same...he make his own stamp his own way alla time.
I am OVER THE TOP HAPPY to see this thread...really how wonderful...jags talkin' to taylor and working w him etc...? all this time later...how totally wonderful things loosen up and the glims relaxin' bout the tudes of yore...fantastic news. great great great. who cudda reasonably asked for more? i'm flabbergasted excited...ok me not hear it yet...but that's how i feel!!!
fantastic foundational rhythm section for greatest band during arguably greatest periods...and everyone knows it; cluding the glims...all's good!!!
now let's really listen for bill in these new tracks too...man this is a good day...and i'm a whiner!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 20, 2010 22:43

Mick Taylor Reunion? So it's official then. Mick Taylor has gotten himself back together.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2010 22:46

An e-mail I received the other day:

Date: March 20, 2010 22:52

The info from the pic above:

The Exile on Main St. boxset includes:
64 page collectors hardback book
10 bonus unreleased tracks
30 minute DVD
... and much, much more.

Visit the store now for your chance to win a £1000 shopping spree*
Click here for more details Released on May 17th 2010
£99.99
List price £150.99

Launch Offer
Courier delivery:
Free in UK, from £10 worldwide**.
Customers can buy in GBP & Euros.

Alternative versions

Exile on Main St.
Deluxe edition
CD £11.99
List price £14.99

Exile on Main St.
Double vinyl
Vinyl £17.99

Exile on Main St.
Remasters
CD £8.99
List price £11.99

Date: March 21, 2010 21:35

I wonder who made the initial contacts?

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: March 21, 2010 22:06

Great news.

Recently a lot of things have happened that I didn't think would, such as Taylor returning, the new Exile and the release of LAG.

Despite the age of the band now, I think with all this happening, the near future will be an exciting time.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 22, 2010 01:54

The Sicilian

Someone with great diplomatic skills.

Date: March 22, 2010 02:05

Lightnin'
The Sicilian

Someone with great diplomatic skills.

That's a very diplomatic, almost political reply, Lightnin'. Is the Jagger-Taylor relationship so delicate? Anyway, we have to wait and see, because this whole thing seems to be the best kept secret of the year. And it isn't even April yet.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 22, 2010 02:25

Kleermaker, do you remember MJ described himself as "very diplomatic" when he was interviewed very early on in his career... ?

Date: March 22, 2010 02:51

Lightnin'
Kleermaker, do you remember MJ described himself as "very diplomatic" when he was interviewed very early on in his career... ?

Yeah, that sounds familiar. But remains the question why that person had to be so diplomatic. MT doesn't seem a rather inaccesible kind of man to me.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2010 04:10

kleermaker
MT wasn't used properly during studio recordings. Which is a shame and is to the detriment of SF and EOMS.

What would make those albums better in your opinion?

Date: March 22, 2010 05:41

Good point! How could Sticky Fingers or Exile be better?!! More lead guitar would just turn them into SRV albums in my opinion. Wasn't it Keith Richards that said something about knowing when not to play for the benefit of a song is a rare talent. I agree. It's all about the spaces in between. Nothing against Stevie Ray, don't get me wrong. And why would it take a diplomat to bring Taylor in for some overdubs? I think he would be more than happy. He played on 'Could Have Stood You Up' many years ago. He also appeared with them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction that same year. I don't think there's a lot of hard feelings. He just wanted to move on to bigger and better things and get away from some bad addictions.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: March 22, 2010 06:19

nonfilter
Good point! How could Sticky Fingers or Exile be better?!! More lead guitar would just turn them into SRV albums in my opinion. Wasn't it Keith Richards that said something about knowing when not to play for the benefit of a song is a rare talent. I agree. It's all about the spaces in between. Nothing against Stevie Ray, don't get me wrong. And why would it take a diplomat to bring Taylor in for some overdubs? I think he would be more than happy. He played on 'Could Have Stood You Up' many years ago. He also appeared with them at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction that same year. I don't think there's a lot of hard feelings. He just wanted to move on to bigger and better things and get away from some bad addictions.

[www.non-filters.com]

Couldn't agree more...especially about it being about the spaces in between. As much as I love Taylor, it is Taylor's playing within the band that made him (and them) so good. Taylor as a soloist without the support of a great band and great songs is far less interesting.

Great news - Mick and Mick T. in studio together
Posted by: gagi ()
Date: March 21, 2010 20:57

Mick Taylor says he was in studio with Jagger for one of new Exile songs

Jagger And Taylor Reunite In Studio

SIR MICK JAGGER and former ROLLING STONES star MICK TAYLOR have reunited in the studio - 36 years after the guitarist left the group.

Taylor joined the rockers in 1969, replacing Brian Jones in the line-up, but he left the group five years later in 1974 after allegedly falling out with Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards.

But now the musician, who was replaced by Ronnie Wood in the 1970s, has reunited with Jagger - they reportedly headed into the studio to work on a new re-mastered version of the Stones' 1972 album Exile On Main Street.

A source tells Britain's Daily Express that Taylor, who is currently touring the U.K., is providing "new guitar licks" to one of the songs on the album, adding: "He said he's been in the studio with Mick Jagger."

The album is due to be released in May (10).

[www.contactmusic.com]#

Re: Great news - Mick and Mick T. in studio together
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 21, 2010 21:03

A double-Mick

I drink to that

Re: Great news - Mick and Mick T. in studio together
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 21, 2010 21:22

MT overdubs on the bonus stuff... that's a very cool thing IMO.
As long as they don't change the original masterpiece.

(And if it's true... then hell has frozen over in Stonesland... )

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home