Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Great news - Mick and Mick T. in studio together
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:03

If the Stones were re-packaging and releasing a deluxe Beggars Banquet with bonus material...
Do you think they'd ask Brian Jones to record some overdubs if he was still alive?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:05

well he didnt play that much on the original.....

..but yeah, sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 03:05 by Gazza.

Date: March 22, 2010 03:14

Easy for you to say

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2010 03:23

Gazza
well he didnt play that much on the original.....

Contributing to 7 or 8 tracks out of 10 ain't much?

Date: March 22, 2010 03:55

Well, credits are sketchy and there's some guesswork involved. (Zentgraf has him absent on 'Parachute woman', 'Factory girl' and 'salt of the earth' and his only contribution to 'Sympathy' was being one of the many backing vocalists).

Compared to the amount that Keith played, it aint much...not to mention the fact that his guitar contributions were scant and the album isn't 'coloured' with as much of his playing as most previous releases (compare his input on 'Aftermath' and 'Between the Buttons' for example). Dave Mason's presence on three songs speaks volumes as does the numerous reports of him either not turning up for sessions or coming in and reading a book because he was too out of his head to be capable of contributing.

Date: March 22, 2010 03:58

schillid
Easy for you to say

Whats that supposed to mean? You asked for an opinion, didnt you?

Its been well documented by people who were there that he didnt contribute that much on the sessions.

Take it up with them if you dont agree.

I dont think its unfeasible that if he was around, theyd have asked him to add a few parts in a similar situation to what theyre doing with Taylor. Why is that an opinion that bothers you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 03:59 by Gazza.

Date: March 22, 2010 04:11

Gazza
Whats that supposed to mean?

I'm only kidding
It doesn't mean anything.

Date: March 22, 2010 04:20

schillid
Gazza
Whats that supposed to mean?

I'm only kidding
It doesn't mean anything.

Oh ok then. Thought it was gonna be pistols at dawn for a minute there. smileys with beer

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 22, 2010 04:24

Such as it is, I am happy for Taylor. He and Jagger were collaborators on some fine songs. I suspect that Taylor quitting was to some extent a slap in face to Jagger. In any event and by many accounts Jagger was stunned and did not take it well. Even after so many years I have heard stories of Jagger being "cool" to Taylor. He certainly does not like to talk about him much. The fact that he never asked Taylor to play on some of his solo albums is proof enough for me of some hard feelings. So it is nice to hear about them working together again. One can imagine how Taylor felt about it.

Date: March 22, 2010 04:48

Gazza
Well, credits are sketchy and there's some guesswork involved.

Indeed, but that goes for the albums you've mentioned too.

Gazza
...as does the numerous reports of him either not turning up for sessions or coming in and reading a book because he was too out of his head to be capable of contributing.

There's a lot of misunderstanding/misinformation about Brian during that time!

Mick at one time has said Brian only played on No Expectations, very wrong there. However comments like that certainly leave an impression. Tales from early LIB sessions seem to get thrown in with BB era as you've just shown. The reading a book on botany tale comes from the first sessions for LIB which is when his not turning up etc really seems to have seriously kicked in.

Also it's a mistake to assume all of his not turning up or not contributing was simply down to him being unreliable/out of it. There's a whole host of other issues to consider.

Anyway, my point is that the amount of stuff Brian probably plays on BB doesn't quite sit right with all of those stories. It's most likely that Brian plays on everything apart from Sympathy for the Devil, Factory Girl and Salt of the Earth. This assumes the story about Mick, Keith and Miller re-doing the backing vocals in LA is true. Not forgetting his contributions to Still a Fool, Jumpin' Jack Flash and Child of the Moon.

That's quite a lot for a supposedly always out of it, missing in action member of the band. eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 12:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 22, 2010 08:46

71Tele
schillid
MT overdubs on the bonus stuff... that's a very cool thing IMO.
As long as they don't change the original masterpiece.

(And if it's true... then hell has frozen over in Stonesland... )

If I may indulge in a little "I told you so" (just a little): I can't count how many times on how many threads about Taylor we "Taylorites" were told to stop dreaming, get over it, he'll never play with them again, he quit 36 years ago so that seals his fate for all time, etc,, etc.

Eat your hats.

I've not been posting here very long but I was one of the people that said this. I'm dashing a little salt on my hat as we speak....

Still shocked.

Re: Mick Taylor Reunion
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 22, 2010 10:51

I think Brian's biggest contribution to BB was some great blues harp playing on quite a few tracks.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 22, 2010 17:32

I Love Ronnie, But Bring Taylor Back!!!..And Long Live Brian's spirit !!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 22, 2010 18:22

I will try to be very optimistic, for once, and hope that Mick T was present at the studio with Mick J and that maybe they are actually friendly again. I always felt bad after Mick T quit and I understand why Jagger was pissed; I only hope that some of that anger has dissipated and they can move forward....maybe even to the point where the slate is wiped clean and future projects can be planned.
No one can deny that Taylor's playing is magic... that's why Jagger was angry for so long. He knew that the band would suffer, artistically. I'm not sure how much money Taylor was denied but I've heard it was a sizeable amount. I'd like to see him given all of that money, and then some. He deserves it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2010 18:46

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
71Tele
schillid

If I may indulge in a little "I told you so" (just a little): I can't count how many times on how many threads about Taylor we "Taylorites" were told to stop dreaming, get over it, he'll never play with them again, he quit 36 years ago so that seals his fate for all time, etc,, etc.

Eat your hats.
Well he didn't exactly play with them did he? He was in the studio with Mick only, and they played and sang along with an old track. That would be the same as saying that Paul, Ringo and George played with John during the sessions for Free As A Bird and Real Love. He didn't play with them when he did that show where Keith guested, either. So eat your own hat. :-)

The impression I got from reports on here a few weeks ago was that Taylor had been 'sent tapes' to work on, so I'm not sure if he and Jagger actually were in the studio together. Everything seems to be pretty vague.

Contactmusic is a pretty hopeless source of info anyway, everything is copied and pasted from other sources with a bit of embellishment thrown in. I wouldnt take everything they say at word for word face value.

Still, regardless of all that, its good to see he's been involved in a Stones project from that era. I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for a fully fledged reunion though.
Gazza, so right again .

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 23, 2010 00:58

Bliss
Yep, 71Tele!

Where there's life, there's hope.

And I like to think that we have been instrumental in this development, by persistently expressing our fervent wish for Mick T's return.

and right you are, i never understood the almost angry responses to the taylor fans.its just a band,there arent written rules somewhere that have to be followed.they should keep ronnie and have 3 guitar players.

this would also make for some interesting studio line-ups.

keith and taylor guitar,ronnie bass

ronnie and taylor guitar,keith bass

keith and ronnie on guitar-

jagger and taylor on guitar-

if they were willng to do the work during rehearsals,this could sound very good.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 23, 2010 01:01

lem motlow
Bliss
Yep, 71Tele!

And I like to think that we have been instrumental in this development, by persistently expressing our fervent wish for Mick T's return.

and right you are, i never understood the almost angry responses to the taylor fans.its just a band,there arent written rules somewhere that have to be followed.they should keep ronnie and have 3 guitar players.

if they were willng to do the work during rehearsals,this could sound very good.

Would be a dream last phase of the band.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 23, 2010 01:45

lem motlow
Bliss
Yep, 71Tele!

Couldn't agree more...It's not like the current guitar section couldn't use some shoring up anyway. Everyone wins, especially fans. We can have our cake and eat it too.

Date: March 23, 2010 03:11

If the stones ain't doing anything, perhaps a Jagger/Taylor album and small tour might work.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 23, 2010 05:18

His Majesty
If the stones ain't doing anything, perhaps a Jagger/Taylor album and small tour might work.

haha, Mick could go undercover (beard, shades, dressed down, hat, southern drawl, minimal banter), and go on the Mick Taylor tour as their vocalist/harp player. Mick J testifying the blues, sitting on a stool during the instrumental passages wailing away on the harp while Mick T's slide cuts through the air. "L'il Boy Blue on vocals, everyone, L'il Boy Blue!"

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 24, 2010 04:03

71Tele
schillid

Eat your hats.

It's like when I had that thread on who would tour with Ronnie this summer.
Said keep the faith, you never know, someone might have an attack of common sense and he'd call up Taylor.

This really is excellent news>

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: March 27, 2010 12:21

Has anyone got any further update on this? Although widely mentioned that this happned, we still seem to be remarkably light on specific details?

The suspense is killing me!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: March 27, 2010 22:14

I think they need to take advantage of the fact that everyone from this classic period is still alive and do a couple of special shows before the window slams shut.

Date: March 27, 2010 22:21

A recent photo posted on Rocks Off shows Mick Taylor has lost weight and is looking pretty healthy. smiling smiley

[rocksoff.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-27 22:23 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: March 28, 2010 01:17

They NEED Mick T . for the 2011 tour. Someone has to play the guitar

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 28, 2010 01:32

It would be very cool to see the Stones do a show with Taylor on guitar and Ronnie on bass.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: March 28, 2010 01:34

Ronnies will be on BASS Ale and any other drink he can get his hands on.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: March 28, 2010 03:42

Sounds like their getting the band back together....Very cool...Mick Taylor can really still play...He is supposed to be in NYC in a few monts...That might all change...Let's hope so!!

Charlie

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 28, 2010 06:01

Wow, he really lost some weight, lookin' good, coming to Argentina on June!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 28, 2010 07:05

Stop it! You know it ain't happening! Stop trying to get my hopes up!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home