Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Canned Heat Reunite
Posted by: MiCkJaGGeR ()
Date: March 30, 2010 11:48

Has anybody seen them within the last few years? They´re going to play in a quite small venue in Dortmund, Germany in July. As far as I know the only concert in Europe including Fito de la Parra, Larry Taylor and Harvey Mandel. It´s not even mentioned on their website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 11:49 by MiCkJaGGeR.

Re: OT: Canned Heat Reunite
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2010 17:33

MiCkJaGGeR
Has anybody seen them within the last few years? They´re going to play in a quite small venue in Dortmund, Germany in July. As far as I know the only concert in Europe including Fito de la Parra, Larry Taylor and Harvey Mandel. It´s not even mentioned on their website.

"the mole" is actually the only original member still alive - and he only recently rejoined. fito is a "near original."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:05

Adolfo is not an original member of Canned Heat? My world is turning upside down......confused smiley

Date: March 30, 2010 18:09

Come On
Adolfo is not an original member of Canned Heat? My world is turning upside down......confused smiley

nope...and actually larry wasn't even technically an original, either, but he was in the band well before fito....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:13

Gene Taylor( one of the kings of boogie woogie piano in my opinion) was with Canned Heat for a couple of years in the mid 70s I think? He went on with The Blasters and lives in Belguim now I believe.I think he's may be doing some shows in Italy at the moment but dont quote me. Now that I think about it if The Stones wanted to cut some tracks with thaat distinctive "Stu" sounding barrelhouse boogie Gene would be the man!!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:16

I saw Harvey Mandel play at the great FitzGeralds nightclub just outside of Chicago a few years back...the dude can play!

Date: March 30, 2010 18:30

scottkeef
Gene Taylor( one of the kings of boogie woogie piano in my opinion) was with Canned Heat for a couple of years in the mid 70s I think? He went on with The Blasters and lives in Belguim now I believe.I think he's may be doing some shows in Italy at the moment but dont quote me. Now that I think about it if The Stones wanted to cut some tracks with thaat distinctive "Stu" sounding barrelhouse boogie Gene would be the man!!

Taylor has indeed reunited with CH in recent times -not a permanent arrangement, though...

Date: March 30, 2010 18:32

inopeng
I saw Harvey Mandel play at the great FitzGeralds nightclub just outside of Chicago a few years back...the dude can play!

yeah, i saw him guest with a local band about a year ago - the snake still has the chops - could hear echoes of Hot Stuff solo sprinkled throughout his solos...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:58

are they going
On The Road Again
?

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: March 30, 2010 19:32

I´m waiting for many years to see Harvey Mandel live here in Europe. Have all his solo stuff , but no chance to see him live. Hope to get a ticket for Dortmund. When was the last time he played in Germany? Did he ever play here?

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:16

"When was the last time he played in Germany? Did he ever play here?"

- München, 1 february 1970 (with CH, I have a scanned ticket somewhere on my comp). Probably my fav CH line-up. I've uploaded on Youtube 3 rare vids of them performing in Montreux in the same month/year (not to be confused with the officially released "Live in Montreux" from 1973, without the late great Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson).

Their "Live in Europe" album was made on that '70 tour, Harvey & Larry left in april.

Edited to add: not sure if he played in Germany afterwards on his own; I was replying to your second question (did he ever play there)... hope I've helped.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 20:26 by Milan.

Date: March 30, 2010 20:39

Just found that he did a concert with Canned Heat in 2009 in Munich..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2010 20:59

Harvey Mandel is one of the most underrated guitarists around. Anyone wanting to ghear more of the kinda licks in laid down on Hot Stuff and Memory Motel should check out his album The Snake. And Cristo Redentor is pretty amazing too.

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:08

He played many times with CH in Europe (Germany included) during the 90's too(1992 and 1999 for sure) but I don't think he ever played solo in Europe.
I saw CH last year in Belgium with Harvey and Larry but was disappointed by the singer. The shows I attended the years before with Robert Lucas (RIP) on vocals were far better, even if Harvey and Larry were not there.. Lucas was perfect for the band, a huge talent..

Date: March 30, 2010 21:09

Harvey Mandel is not underrated. He is a typical musician`s musician, influenced EVHalen with his right hand tapping and never made music for the hitlists. If you mention Snake and his first gem "Christo Redentor" then you forget all the other gems .

Date: March 30, 2010 21:27

you're right that he's not under-rated by musicians - but he's practically unknown outside of musicians' circles...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-30 21:27 by T&A.

Date: March 31, 2010 01:05

When I travelled to the States I always looked if there was a chance to see him in a club. But I think even in the US it is not easy to see him live except you live in California where he was playing in clubs regulary. Does he tour in the US or do you have to travel to California?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2010 01:47

Do they still perform Bull Doze Blues ?....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 31, 2010 01:50

electricmud
When I travelled to the States I always looked if there was a chance to see him in a club. But I think even in the US it is not easy to see him live except you live in California where he was playing in clubs regulary. Does he tour in the US or do you have to travel to California?

mostly california, i think. i've seen him a handful of times here - hardly even had to fall outta bed to see him. sometimes it's worth the cost of living here...

Date: March 31, 2010 01:51

Rockman
Do they still perform Bull Doze Blues ?....

did ya ever wake up with that...with that bullfrog on your mind?

Date: March 31, 2010 02:22

Only when I go up the country with Henry....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 31, 2010 03:06

One of the most classic blues albums ever recorded is Hooker 'n Heat. STUNNING. Poor Alan, a wonderful gentle soul, died shortly after the album was release. For stunning harp, that disc can't be beat, especially his riffingon Boogie Chilln No. 2.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 31, 2010 11:50

What about amphetamine Annie? Still do that one live?

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: March 31, 2010 11:52

Dortmund - Strobels - 27. July 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------
From there webside:

2010 Upcoming Tourdates ~ On The Road Again

4 Denotes - the 4 man lineup with Fito, Dale, Barry and Greg
6 Denotes - the "Woodstock Reunited Lineup" with the addition of Larry "The Mole" Taylor and Harvey "The Snake" Mandel
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be "6 Denotes" in Dortmund.

I think I´ll be there!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-31 15:39 by satisfaction2.

Date: March 31, 2010 12:29

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home