Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Al Gore for Nobel Peace Prize
Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 12, 2007 12:06

Congratulations to Al Gore - and to the entire population of the world! Just this minute the Nobel Peace Price Comittee officially announced that he is this years Nobel laureate. Gore shares the prize with the international panel on climate change. His focus on global warming, also backed up by the Rolling Stones, is the most important issue of our time.
So, for the next tour, let's all go carbon neutral! Pay a little extra for our air line tickets. I guess many of us are going to India, Thailand, Dubai etc... Let's pay a little extra to support the environment.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 16:53 by bv.

Re: Al Gore rocks! Nobel Peace Prize!
Posted by: yapyap#3 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 12:08

Yeah, thats great. I like Al Gore.
This makes me even madder about the stolen election, though.

Date: October 12, 2007 12:11

I'm not going to take part in the discussion on the "stolen election", but Al Gore's impact is perhaps even bigger now, than it would have been if he had won the election. In office, he might not have had the time to devote his time to making the film... I have such great respect for him and his work. And I'm really proud that the Rolling Stones was the first band to make their world tour carbon neutral. Great guys take a stand.

And would it not be great if the Nobel Peace Prize comitte invited Mick Jagger to sing during the prize ceremony in Oslo, Norway on December 10th! The concert is shown on TV world wide and since Jagger has an album to promote, perhaps he's up to doing it?? It's definitely a course he supports from the bottom of his heart.
He could perhaps sing: Old Habits Die Hard, and say something about a few habits we need to lose - like using our cars too much... And to stop buying big cars that use a lot of gaz!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 12:33 by gstone.

Date: October 12, 2007 13:40

Luxury man... I don't know much about you, but from that one sentence you've written, I can see that language skills are probably not your strongest side? And as BV has written in this forum, RESPECT! No offensive language. I'm reporting your post... Bye!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 12, 2007 13:42

gstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Luxury man... I don't know much about you, but
> from that one sentence you've written, I can see
> that language skills are probably not your
> strongest side? And as BV has written in this
> forum, RESPECT! No offensive language. I'm
> reporting your post... Bye!

Well - the other rule is that there shouldn't be any political threads, you know...
Congrats to Al Gore, btw smiling smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: October 12, 2007 13:50

Lorenz! Hi - this is not political, but environmental and VERY Stones related. The Stones were the first band to do a carbon neutral world tour, they've taken a stand, did a show for solar energy and supported the case.
And as it turns out - the organisers of the Peace Prize Concert are considering inviting Jagger to sing at the concert for the Peace Prize laureates... OK, I tipped them off. A good cause deserves the best artists. And Jagger's definitely a man who supports the environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 13:54 by gstone.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 12, 2007 14:08

Who cares about Al Bore???

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 12, 2007 14:13

gstone Wrote:
And Jagger's definitely
> a man who supports the environment.

how?

Date: October 12, 2007 14:19

Doctor Dear! Wrote:
> Who cares about Al Bore???

Easy! People with a brain. People who think they're going to be alive for at least a few more years. People who want to be able to look into the eyes of their children and grand children and say: Yes, I really tried to do something about global warming. We made an effort.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 12, 2007 14:21

Adrian-L Wrote:
> gstone Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> And Jagger's definitely
> > a man who supports the environment.
>
> how?

On sundaynights, when watching football, he wears a shirt that says: Environment.

Date: October 12, 2007 14:24

Adrian L asked:
And Jagger's definitely
> a man who supports the environment.

how?

Jagger - and his band - were the first artists to go on a carbon neutral tour. He's spoken about global warming on several occations. They've supported the solar energy project. (remember the LA show???)
If you want more information, try to google carbon neutral, paired with Rolling Stones. They're intelligent men, with a green attitude.

Date: October 12, 2007 14:24

mr edward Wrote:
> Adrian-L Wrote:
> -----
> > gstone Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > And Jagger's definitely
> > > a man who supports the environment.
> >
> > how?
>
>
> On sundaynights, when watching football, he wears
> a shirt that says: Environment.

i ask the question, as i do not know, what Jagger or the band does
(if anything) regarding this issue.

Do they 'offset' they're (what must be huge) carbon immisions, from their tours?

Date: October 12, 2007 14:25

gstone Wrote:
> Adrian L asked:
> And Jagger's definitely
> > a man who supports the environment.
>
> how?
>
> Jagger - and his band - were the first artists to
> go on a carbon neutral tour. He's spoken about
> global warming on several occations. They've
> supported the solar energy project. (remember the
> LA show???)
> If you want more information, try to google carbon
> neutral, paired with Rolling Stones. They're
> intelligent men, with a green attitude.

thanks- i'll look into it.

Date: October 12, 2007 14:29

Yes, they offset! They've spent huge amounts of money on this. The money the Stones have paid, were - among other things - used to rinse polluted air from power plants (run on coal) in China... That's a big carbon source.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:16

Al Gore is a very smart, decent man.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:30

But it's all bollocks ! ;^)

Date: October 12, 2007 15:37

Spud Wrote:
> But it's all bollocks ! ;^)

Would you care to explain how you came to that conclusion?
It's quite ... far fetched, especially since the UN climate panel (thousands of scientists from just about every nation in the world) have reached a different conclusion.
Today, I'm just glad that the Peace Prize was awarded to people who want to save the planet. Perhaps it's too late for some species, like the polar bear, but what if it's just in time for humanity...

Date: October 12, 2007 15:37

Nikolai Wrote:
> Al Gore is a very smart, decent man.

You are so right!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:39

> i ask the question, as i do not know, what Jagger
> or the band does
> (if anything) regarding this issue.

My comment wasn't meant to be taken serious.

Gore receiving the Nobel prize neither by the way. It's the Nobel Prize for PEACE! There must be someone out there who has done more on that terrain then Gore? He's been busy campaigning for environment awaireness (spelling?), which is a good thing offcourse, but has little direct links with armed conflicts in the world.

Date: October 12, 2007 15:48

These things are closely connected. Already now, we see that people have to leave their homes, because of climate changes. They become climate refugees. (Massive rain, floods, hurricanes etc) This again leads to migration. Massive numbers of refugees pouring into a country leads to unrest.
Fresh water will become really valuable. The glaciers are melting. They've provided fresh water for great regions like India and China. When a vital resource becomes scarce, wars break out. (It's happened with oil on some occations).
And when it comes to stopping a war... We are actually behaving as if we're at war with our own planet, even though we should treat it like our closest friend.

And yes, the Stones have paid really huge amounts of money, offset - or buying carbon quotas - for the entire Bigger Bang Tour. Try googeling the issue.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:55

I'm glad to see Gore received this award.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:55

Climate change or global warming is real...but it's little to do with us.
You'll always find scientists to back up any viable hypothesis if you finance their research !
The truly independant scientists are much less commital and most contend that our contribution to climate change is rather over egged.
It's interesting that the US is on board all of a sudden.
Potentially a good way to slow down the enevitible rise of China and India as the world's major economies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 16:04 by Spud.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: October 12, 2007 15:58

There are probably hundreds of dedicated scientists, environmentalists, etc. who have worked their lifetimes for the environment who deserve this more than Mr. Gore. But, as the old saying goes "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Posted by: thurrick ()
Date: October 12, 2007 16:07

Who the hell cares about looney tunes gore and what morons gave that @#$%& a nobel prize? Sorta reduces the nobel down to oscar levels are even sewer levels and on the subject of oscars being worthless. How did the 'queen' and 'cash' movies win anything? The first was a load of newsreel footage crap and the 'cash' movie was an insult to the memory of the man in black.

I agree with the high court judge:

"Schools will have to issue a warning before they show pupils Al Gore's controversial film about global warming, a judge indicated yesterday.

The move follows a High Court action by a father who accused the Government of 'brainwashing' children with propaganda by showing it in the classroom.

Stewart Dimmock said the former U.S. Vice-President's documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, is unfit for schools because it is politically biased and contains serious scientific inaccuracies and 'sentimental mush'.

He wants the video banned after it was distributed with four other short films to 3,500 schools in February.

Mr Justice Burton is due to deliver a ruling on the case next week, but yesterday he said he would be saying that Gore's Oscar-winning film does promote 'partisan political views'.

This means that teachers will have to warn pupils that there are other opinions on global warming and they should not necessarily accept the views of the film"

OT:
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 12, 2007 16:11

gstone Wrote:
> Doctor Dear! Wrote:
> -----
> > Who cares about Al Bore???
>
>
> Easy! People with a brain. People who think
> they're going to be alive for at least a few more
> years. People who want to be able to look into the
> eyes of their children and grand children and say:
> Yes, I really tried to do something about global
> warming. We made an effort.

So people with a brains are those repeat what a "majority" of scientists write in an controlled UN report? Because Ive heard many scientists with brains who say global warming is a natural process on earth. I mean it's happened before as we all know. Of course it's good thing to "stop" polution, who wants cancer? Al Gore is a PR-man, he lost an election. The prize has nothing to do with the real Nobel Prize which awards scientists - and writers for whom there are better awards like Booker.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 16:30

Mick and boys are green and helping the enviroment?

OK, let's look at the facts- each Stone drives in a separate limo, they probably fly on private and separate leer jets.

How many people attended the last tour? Let's use 3 people on average per car for several miles. Thats a lot of gas and emissions.

Not so green or enviromentally friendly in my opinion.

Good post, not about'cakes or toilet setas'.

jjflash73

Date: October 12, 2007 16:31

LA Forum wrote (amongst other things) <The prize has nothing to do with the real Nobel Prize which awards scientists - and writers for whom there are better awards like Booker.>

The Nobel Peace Prize was initiated by the same man who initiated the prizes for medicine, physics, litterature and economy, the Swedish industrial magnate Alfred Nobel. He invented dynamite, and when he saw how his invention was being used for unpeacefull purposes, he initiated the Nobel Peace Prize. He wanted the government of Norway to nominate and award the Peace Prize laureates. This because Norway had a tradition for solving conflicts peacefully, like when the nation decided to get their independence from Sweden.
If you watch TV news, listen to the radio or read newspapers today or the following days, yoy will see that the Peace Prize is regarded the most prestigeous of all prizes. Not only among the Nobel prizes.

And Al Gore definitely deserves it. He's sharing the prize with the international panel on climate. That's most of the world's meteorologists. They've found proof that che climate changes we're experiencing differ from the ones the planet's seen through millions of years, and that this is due to our carbon pollution. The only ones who disagreed on this were the scientists who worked for Exxon... They just might have another agenda.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 16:33 by gstone.

Re: OT:
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2007 16:32

It's unbelievable that a lot of people still don't believe the global warming is any threat - and is comfortable knowing that a few sicko scientists are calling it a "natural process". There's a lot of reports, especially from the northpole - with 100% evidence that the global warming is speeding up way faster than we imagined a couple of years ago.
And the first victims for this global warming, is the poorer countries - where people rely on a steady clima for their crops.
While all the ignorants in northern Europe and America say things like "oh there's more snow this winter than ever before, what's all this nonsense talking about global warming" - well that's basically what global warming is about; more snow and rain where it's un-wanted - and dryness in the south - together with hurricanes and floods that wipes away the dry soil. Not to mention what the changes of temperature has to say for life in the ocean.

Date: October 12, 2007 16:34

Good post, Mr. Snow!

Date: October 12, 2007 16:38

jjflash73 wrote: <Mick and boys are green and helping the enviroment?

OK, let's look at the facts- each Stone drives in a separate limo, they probably fly on private and separate leer jets.

How many people attended the last tour? Let's use 3 people on average per car for several miles. Thats a lot of gas and emissions.>
Yes, that's why they're paying offset - buying carbon quotas. Paying for polluting power plants (run by coal), to make it a carbon neutral tour. They were the first band in the world to do so. Later, other bands have followed in their footsteps. Just like in music. So, the Stones have an important impact - not only in music.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home