Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
BIGGEST BANG DVD SET - give your review
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:02

NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FROM SUNDAY, NOT TODAY (TUESDAY) - STILL STAND BY IT 100% THOUGH

What can I say - this 4 DVD box set KICKS ASS !!! Just finished watching 95% of it and am very impressed, much better than I thought it would be !!

HIGHLIGHTS:
SONGS you didn't know about. The documentary includes some almost complete songs not mentioned:

BACK OF MY HAND - just brilliant - from the Toronto Club Show I believe (a bit of talk over during the guitar solo)

AS TEARS GO BY (in Italian) - a short version from the Milan show - BEAUTIFUL !!

MONKEY MAN - a rehearsal - very tight version (again , for the Milan show I believe)

MISS YOU - a totally (I mean TOTALLY) jazz version with Bernard singing vocals (this is in the Charlie Watts "If It Ain't Got That Swing" Band Profile Section)

SATISFACTION (Super Bowl show) - shows how the whole thing worked from backstage - talk about pressure, got tense just watching all the exacting work that had to be done for it all to go off perfectly...

OTHER GEMS:

When an Italian reporter asked Charlie Watts if he has a business card. This is one for the ages. Charlie looks at him with the biggest WTF expression and barks NO !!. They cut to something else and then come back to Charlie pointing at his face saying "This is my business card" all "Charlie Style" angry and bothered - SO FUNNY almost fell off the couch !!!

ARGENTINA - ANY footage with Argentina in it. What wild crowds, you gotta love them. It looks like they take over the show and at one point Mick kind of admits they do in a voice over. There's a part where Mick is in the middle of MISS YOU and sees something funny in the audience and just busts up in the middle of his vocals.The other highlight is they NEVER stop throwing there t-shirts on the B-stage. A bunch of roadies have to come on and scoop them all up.

CHINA FOOTAGE - You can see in the performance that the Band is super happy they were able to play China, they seem to really out do themselves. Another highlight is when Chinese pop star Cui Jian gives Jagger the coolest long Chinese style coat in his hotel room. Damn nice coat and it was a perfect fit - got the feeling Jagger really liked it.

JAPANESE FOOTAGE - The Band just seems slightly tighter than Austin, maybe the mix is a bit better.

THE SHOWS:

AUSTIN: The mix is top notch even if it's not my favorite set list. I was a bit disappointed with SWAY because it sounds like they weren't 100% confident playing it - a Cautious version IMO. On the other hand BOB WILLS IS STILL KING sounds like they've been playing it for years. Jagger does a great country accent on it without going over the top. UNDER MY THUMB is very nice, a very tight version.

RIO - Very nice, we've all seen it.... Now the sound has a 5 star mix on it.

THE DUETS:

Bonnie Raitt doing SHINE A LIGHT is Perfect, as is Eddie Vedder on WILD HORSES. Not a big Dave Matthews fan but LET IT BLEED is very passible.

Not to be overlooked - JUST CAN'T BE SATISFIED (Muddy Waters) is fantastic the way Jagger starts playing around with it in rehearsals and pretty soon the band is doing a full blown version of it. The kinda moments made for hard core Stones fans.

ALL in ALL I give this box a 5 STARS out of 5. The sound mix is FANTASTIC, the editing is FANTASTIC, The picture clarity is FANTASTIC. Is it better than LIVE FLICKS? They're both great - perfect companion pieces. This one seems to have a few more extras but they both get 5 STARS in my book. LIVE LICKS was missing SHE SMILED SWEETLY and BIGGEST BANG is missing AS TEARS GO BY but those are my only bitches. AT $29.95 (what is that? 23 Euro's) this 4 DVD Set is the deal of the Decade. GET IT ASAP. Helter....... PS Going back for an ENCORE - IT'S A KEEPER !!!

GO ON [www.bestbuy.com] TO SEE THE COMPLETE SET LISTS FOR EACH SHOW (a few songs have been left off from both the Austin and Rio shows on the DVD) AND "EXTRA'S FOR THIS 4 DVD BOX SET. CLICK ON THE "BIGGEST BANG" PRE-ORDER ADVERT BOX (SHOULD BE ON THE HOME PAGE)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-12 21:32 by HelterSkelter.

Re: Helter Reviews the entire BIGGEST BANG DVD box set in detail !!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:07

sounds nice. Almost fell of MY chair imagining that Charlie interview.

Btw - that $29.95 offer is only for North America, unfortunately

Date: June 11, 2007 04:16

Yeah, I know Gaz, it's gonna be a lot more in Europe unfortunately. I ALWAYS buy my DVDs here and take them with me to France. I have a PAL/NTSB set up there and French customs has yet to look through my bags so it works out fine... so far....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:23

Thanks Helter, you don't throw out praises for nothin', so I believe your review...can't wait for this set to hit Europe.

Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:31

Buying it on Tuesday grinning smiley

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Date: June 11, 2007 04:32

Yeah, that's true Erik. This Box Set blew me away (I wasn't expecting it to be this excellent), it's just effing great - even my GF who's a so - so Stones fan LOVES it (she's a giant Sheryl Crow fan). She was suppose to go shopping but was in the living room watching the Rio show again. When a woman is held up from going shopping YOU KNOW something very special is holding her back - lol......

Posted by: MsTuesday ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:34

Im buying it at Future shop and its $35.99
But lucky me i kept a $20 gift card from Christmas. grinning smiley

[[FEAR; BUILDS WALLS.]]

Date: June 11, 2007 04:41

What's Future Shop? is that an internet store? Some Best Buys started selling it today, it's all hit and miss. Ask a manager and they'll say "not out till Tuesday" but get the right spaced out part time kid and he'll sell you 100 of 'em today - it's ALWAYS like that at BEST BUY.....fine with me - lol

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 11, 2007 04:52

Google is your friend: [www.futureshop.ca]

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: June 11, 2007 05:08

I totally agree with you helter, This is a GREAT DVD

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: June 11, 2007 11:02

Well it may just so happen that I'll have to purchase this soon!!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 11, 2007 12:35

Sound wise, and picture wise it blows Four Flicks out of the water. There are parts in it that I think I'm seeing the stones magic of the seventies again like the Phoenix club show numbers. Just really fantastic, and much higher quality stuff than the stones have released in years. Yes, you can hear MR WOOD much better in the mix than you could on Four Flicks. Guitars are right up front.

Date: June 11, 2007 14:14

Agree, to a point. I have a very high end Kliptch/Top Denon Amp/reciever Home Theater set up that sounds it's best when it's really cranked. The DTS 5.1 Surround Sound is beautiful with Mick's vocal way up (but perfect) in the center speaker. the back speakers could use a bit more ambient sound but it's fine as is. With all of that said I also believe LIVE FLICKS has excellent sound. Admittedly I didn't drag it out and do a side by side. When you have a hot blonde in front of you and a classy brunette in front of you you tend to not do too many comparisions - just enjoy the company of both if possible.....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 11, 2007 14:21

I can't wait to get this DVD set. Thanks for a cool review. Can you tell me a bit more about the documentary? Do we see where they are getting ideas for stage designs and such, as we did on Four Flicks?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: June 11, 2007 18:05

Naw Kent, where it really differs from Live Licks is the Toronto Rehearsals are pretty much skimmed over. They show one song being rehearsed - can't recall which one, MAYBE RJ off of ABB - something of ABB I think, and some of the Toronto club show - 1 song - and that's about it (the Club piece is on the long side actually). In that sense it's much Different than Live Licks. They dive right into all the highlights, North American Tour, China, Free Rio Show, Argentina, Milan, etc. It's not about the preperations - Rio mini Doc has tons of preperation stuff about building a giant stage on the beach) as much as the highlights while they were moving along on the tour. But that's one thing I like about it, they didn't repeat/copy their last one. I would have loved to see one disc mix up the best of Japan and China and make it one show and have the 4th disc be an entire Argentina show but then it would have to be a 5 or 6 disc set. Since Europe is really totally missing in action (except for Milan) I'm thinking they have to put something together from this summer tour of Europe - maybe the London shows or some place they consider special - Kiev would have been interesting. Then there's STILL "SHINE A LIGHT" that I hope includes SHE WAS HOT and AS TEARS GO BY. Anyway, try to get your hands on one of these boxes - a fine addition to the/your Stones collecton. Helter

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 11, 2007 18:48

thx for the great review helter.
I wonder, was the DVD just sitting on a shelf, or did you have to ask one of the slackers?

When I went in, I first looked on the shelf,
Then I asked the slacker, who was not sure who the Stones were,
she then just pointed/grunted at the mass of four flicks DVDs, and I said ......
and then I asked the lady who I had called to confirm it was available,
and then I ......well anyway.... I am waiting till tomorrow.....tommorow the
sun will come out, and as god as my witness, I will never go stonesless againwinking smiley
tara...tara.. tara...I means Stones.. Stones... Stones....

I wonder was it just on the shelf?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 11, 2007 21:24

.....dang, thanks for the nice review Skelter.....now I don't know which I'm looking forward to more, watching the DVD'sor messing with the Best Buy slackers.......

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:31

OK, so I go to my local Best Buy today because, it's all the same set of rules for everybody, RIGHT??????????????? So if some folks were allowed to buy it... (yes, I know I'm being delusional, but I have so little left.) I ask the kid, who wasn't a jerk by any means, and he says, it's being released tomorrow, and I say, yeah, that's the official line, but if you go online you 'll find Stones fans from all over the country have been buying it at Best Buy for the last few days. they're reviewing it for everyone, for cryin' out loud...
He actually looks shocked. "Really? Let me see." He calls over a manager who was on his way somewhere else, and he comes over and wasn't a jerk either, I tell him, and he says, I don't know what's going on with them, you're supposed to receive a special email if there's an early release, and we didn't get one. So I said, could you sell me a copy, it's hot, I'm sick, I've been a Stones fan longer than both of you have been alive, I drove out of my way to get here, and I swear I won't tell anyone, and he said, I'm sorry, I can't, we could be fined between 50 and 100 thousand dollars if we sell it before tomorrow.

So that leaves me with one consolation: I want the Best Buy outlets that sold it early TO GET IT RIGHT BETWEEN THEIR FINANCIAL EYES! Who do I call, Allen Klein? Eesh...

Isn't there anything on the Austin thing with Mac???

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:42

i'vre heard stories like yours before.
It makes me wonder if anybody really got it the day (or DAYS) before the release date.

MainStreetExile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, so I go to my local Best Buy today because,
> it's all the same set of rules for everybody,
> RIGHT??????????????? So if some folks were allowed
> to buy it... (yes, I know I'm being delusional,
> but I have so little left.) I ask the kid, who
> wasn't a jerk by any means, and he says, it's
> being released tomorrow, and I say, yeah, that's
> the official line, but if you go online you 'll
> find Stones fans from all over the country have
> been buying it at Best Buy for the last few days.
> they're reviewing it for everyone, for cryin' out
> loud...
> He actually looks shocked. "Really? Let me see."
> He calls over a manager who was on his way
> somewhere else, and he comes over and wasn't a
> jerk either, I tell him, and he says, I don't know
> what's going on with them, you're supposed to
> receive a special email if there's an early
> release, and we didn't get one. So I said, could
> you sell me a copy, it's hot, I'm sick, I've been
> a Stones fan longer than both of you have been
> alive, I drove out of my way to get here, and I
> swear I won't tell anyone, and he said, I'm sorry,
> I can't, we could be fined between 50 and 100
> thousand dollars if we sell it before tomorrow.
>
> So that leaves me with one consolation: I want the
> Best Buy outlets that sold it early TO GET IT
> RIGHT BETWEEN THEIR FINANCIAL EYES! Who do I call,
> Allen Klein? Eesh...
>
> Isn't there anything on the Austin thing with
> Mac???

Date: June 11, 2007 22:47

The Best Buy Slackers are getting the fame they SO deserve (try asking them about a washing machine you want to buy. Excuse me, is this a gas or elecric WASHING Machine? Ahhhh, let me check that one out for you sir.... you go ahead dude, take your time. UNBELIEVABLE !! hahahaha.... yo, does this 60 inch Plasma big screen take batteries? ahhhhhhhhhhh, hold on, let me get my boss over here..........

The Story: My girl friend called a couple stores, the first one had Slacker Jr tell her "Ya , just come on in, we have hundreds on the selves" then the second store has an older woman on the phone telling my GF "No way can you get one here until Tuesday". So she went to the first one, there were a lot less than 100's out but the selves held numerous ones so she picked up a couple (one for her brother whos a big Stone fan - gonna have one of his daughters give it to him for an early Father's Day gift - maybe already did). Slacker Jr was on a break so a woman helped my GF (she thought she could have been a supervisor. First thing she said to my GF was "Where'd you get these?" and my GF pointed to a self where they were. The woman just said "OH" or maybe "OH?". Anyway, she rang em up and my GF gave her her plastic - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!! - BEST BUYS tightly run ship springs another leak... I got it 2 days early so I say, "LEAK ON KIDS !! ...hahahahaha.........

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:49

#1... I wouldn't buy water from best buy if they were the only store in the Sahara...that store is a #@$%^& ripoff. I hate the way they do business....real slimey bunch running that place.

Thanks for the review Helter.....I'll buy it in a few months, when I could get it somewhere for $10-15.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:52

......tsk, tsk, Main Street, vengeance is not a good way to deal with your loss.....be thankful that there are slackers who don't know any better...at least for the sake of our fortunate brother Skelter......tomorrow should be cooler, and breezier I am told....

Date: June 11, 2007 22:57

ORANGE COW, all this f-ing up is a BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE, back in the day when Tower Records was still around this would have NEVER happened,,,,,,,

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:58

Still, consider yourselves lucky. Here in Europe it will cost somewere between 80-100$ approx.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: June 11, 2007 22:59

I miss

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: June 11, 2007 23:08

i just can't believe that entire stores would do that. there can't be that many idoits (even supervisors).

Also if they run the risk of fines,it can't be that hard to program the bar code on the DVDs that when scanned it will not work until a certian day.

Its a wonder what else they are doing wrong. Like pricing items wrong or too less

well Congrats for getting it early, i know i would have tried to myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-11 23:11 by orange cow.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 11, 2007 23:16

Helter,

Fine review - thanks! It has me a little more enthusiastic about the disc than I was before, especially the documentary portion. If you would though, mind sparing a couple more details about the Austin show? Like perhaps how was "Little T&A" and "Ain't Too Proud" for example?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 11, 2007 23:56

SO let me get this straight.....

When you got to the bottom
you went back to the top of the slide
where you stopped and turned
and took a ride
till you got to the bottom
and I saw you again?winking smiley

ROCK ON...and thx

Date: June 12, 2007 00:10

"LITTLE T AND A" was a bit Keith sloopy (the usual) BUT he was on top of it on his Milan Song (first show after the head Injury) I Noticed how well he was playing on that one (unless it was over dubbed). Part of the Documentary - just a slice of the song. AIN'T TOO PROUD TOO BEG, well, you're asking the wrong person on that one cause I'm a big fan of the 1975 LA Forum Boots/Video/1974 Live Vocal promo clip on that one. They did do a good job in Austin on it - but SWAY was the one I really wanted to hear from the first section of the set list.Remember, I've only seen the box once so far, damn thing is like 7 hours long or something and have only had it a bit over 24 hours....

ORANGE COW - I know it's hard to believe (but have you ever seen what an effing mess their DVD/CD dept is?) I get my stuff - except for the Stones Box - on Amazon since Tower Closed. But let me put it in perspective, check out these 2 words - HOMELAND SECURITY... New Orleans was hard to believe too but there you have it... SLACKERS = Status Quo.......

Yeah, that's it Max... I hope you look like Helena Christiansen (WICKED GAME - Chris Issak video) when I get to the bottom - lol... Take it easy, glad I can help....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-12 00:15 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: June 12, 2007 00:30

Here you have it for: € 36,24

[www.axelmusic.com]

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home