Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Latest on Ronnie (includes mention of Mick, Keith, Stones)
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:54

Harlem Shuffler
About this medical test; how is it that there are doubts about Ronnie because of his drinking but none about another member of the band who isn't exactly a stranger to alcohol?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:55

ROPENI
My choice to replace Ronnie,Steve Conte, the guitar player for the New York Dolls.
Mick taylor? not in a million years, Mick Jagger would never go for it,Taylor is in the same boat or worse than Ron Wood.

I have said this before (yesterday), and I will say it again: it's ridiculous how you make bold statements about Taylor that are totally unfounded.
Since you are not up to date on Taylor's health and you are not clued in regarding his relationship with MJ either, you might want to consider not commenting when these subjects come up.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 20, 2009 13:06

Lightnin'
ROPENI
My choice to replace Ronnie,Steve Conte, the guitar player for the New York Dolls.
Mick taylor? not in a million years, Mick Jagger would never go for it,Taylor is in the same boat or worse than Ron Wood.

I have said this before (yesterday), and I will say it again: it's ridiculous how you make bold statements about Taylor that are totally unfounded.
Since you are not up to date on Taylor's health and you are not clued in regarding his relationship with MJ either, you might want to consider not commenting when these subjects come up.

Weeeeeeellll excuse me,but who the hell are you to tell me what comments l should make,and which ones not to???????.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: December 20, 2009 13:21

ROPENI
Weeeeeeellll excuse me,but who the hell are you to tell me what comments l should make,and which ones not to???????.

I'm just giving you some friendly advice. Before making a comment it would be better to ask yourself if you really know what you're talking about before you blurt out some random statement about someone's personal life, especially if you don't have any reliable info. It's just something that people should be more careful about, instead of "selling" their personal opinions for facts.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 20, 2009 13:32

Lightin.
If the only people that would post in this board were the ones with first hand knowledge of the Stones,then maybe 4 or 5 people would be the only ones posting here,
But maybe, since you seem to imply that you do have first hand hand knowlege of Taylor's situation,then please enlight us mere mortals.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 20, 2009 16:56

Harlem Shuffler
Harlem Shuffler
About this medical test; how is it that there are doubts about Ronnie because of his drinking but none about another member of the band who isn't exactly a stranger to alcohol?

Put it this way - does Keith have to go into rehab before every tour?

Ronnie's liver appears to be even more pickled than Keith's and to add to it, he has emphysema. His mental state is also a lot more fragile.

How Keith manages to be medically clear before every tour is a bit of a miracle in itself, but we've known for some time that he defies all medical logic. Not everyone has the same constitution, though.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:06

if this does happen and i truly hope it does not, i hope the stones or whats left of them anyway choose wisely to replace woody

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:15

The reason Keith never needs to go to rehab is because he is not nearly the drinker or drug taker or drunk or slob or whatever that a lot of the world believes him to be.

He's made it clear.

He just can't play like he used to. Wayne Gretzky can't play like he used to. Terry Bradshaw can't throw the ball like he used to. Pelé can't play like he used to. Keith Richards can't play like he used to. That's just the way it goes.

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:22

And the one who still can play mustnt. Close to Moment 22.

Date: December 20, 2009 17:22

great post skipstone, you nailed it

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:33

skipstone
The reason Keith never needs to go to rehab is because he is not nearly the drinker or drug taker or drunk or slob or whatever that a lot of the world believes him to be.

He's made it clear.

He just can't play like he used to. Wayne Gretzky can't play like he used to. Terry Bradshaw can't throw the ball like he used to. Pelé can't play like he used to. Keith Richards can't play like he used to. That's just the way it goes.

When the atheletes you mentioned could no longer perform they were replaced. Keef's playing has become increasingly subpar on recent so using your logic shouldn't he be replaced?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:35

skipstone

He's made it clear.

Tom Waits (no slouch himself when it came to drinking) is quoted as saiying "Keith drinks like a dockworker"

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:36

Taylor is playing great guitar. Jagger should call him

Date: December 20, 2009 17:41

Loudei

so you are saying mick should just shove his old mate woody aside like he is nothing?

Date: December 20, 2009 17:43

Loudei

He does have health problems though as I was supposed to see him several months ago and he cancelled for health reasons so I wonder if he would get medical clearance.........As much as I love Mick T it just would not be the same without Woody.......

Date: December 20, 2009 17:46

lets not forget how woody saved the band in the 80s when mick n keith were acting like children, i think they should show woody the same respect

Posted by: A Stone Alone ()
Date: December 20, 2009 17:47

No Woody then no Stones...

Date: December 20, 2009 18:18

melillo
lets not forget how woody saved the band in the 80s when mick n keith were acting like children, i think they should show woody the same respect

they have, several times since, and will continue to do so.

But what if the decision on the guy's ability to tour is taken out of their hands ?

What should they do then? Disband?

Date: December 20, 2009 18:20

no but i just meant that they should do what ever it takes to get woody in the mix

Date: December 20, 2009 18:21

Thats the scenario I'd like too, Mark, but like I said, the decision as to whether they can do that or not may well be made by someone else.

Date: December 20, 2009 18:29

oldschool
When the atheletes you mentioned could no longer perform they were replaced. Keef's playing has become increasingly subpar on recent so using your logic shouldn't he be replaced?

Wrong. They are not replaced, their position is just taken over. You can't replace a Gretzky or a Bradshaw. If that was the case those teams would have continued to dominate for another 10 years. They did not.

And this here, "Tom Waits (no slouch himself when it came to drinking) is quoted as saiying "Keith drinks like a dockworker" was said when?

A long time ago.

People change. You go by that logic, Keith must nod out nowadays because he's done a touch of heroin.

There's the myth and then there is reality. Keith's much more about reality these days. Obviously, because he has fun with his myth (image) in the press by snorting his father's ashes, inventing the coconut tree incident...

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 20, 2009 18:35

hi skipstone, maybe you are right. I like to think of Keith these days supping a fine wine and reminiscing about the good old days. He certainly seems to be in control of his demons these days. He is cut from different cloth than Ronnie - thats for sure

Date: December 20, 2009 18:42

Keith grew up a long time ago.

Ronnie is a 62 year old kid.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 20, 2009 18:45

<< As much as I love Mick T it just would not be the same without Woody....... >>

That's right, it wouldn't be the same. It would be better. This "no Woody, no Stones" sentiment I find ludicrous. From these posts he seems more a beloved character in a TV show than a musician. You have this loyalty because he supposedly "kept the band together" a million years ago, but at the same time you tell us to "forget about Taylor" because his time in the band was so long ago. At least our enthusiasm for Taylor is based on music.

Date: December 20, 2009 18:53

TELE 72 WROTE:
That's right, it wouldn't be the same. It would be better. This "no Woody, no Stones" sentiment I find ludicrous. From these posts he seems more a beloved character in a TV show than a musician. You have this loyalty because he supposedly "kept the band together" a million years ago, but at the same time you tell us to "forget about Taylor" because his time in the band was so long ago. At least our enthusiasm for Taylor is based on music.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you think the Stones are better these days with Mick T then Woody you are entitled to your opinion but I am not the only one who disagrees.

Also I never said anyone has to forget about Mick T. so not sure where this is coming from. Personally I thought the band was at there peak when Mick T was playing with them and my favorite Stones ERA is 69-73 but that was then and this is now. My feeling is Woody is an integral part of the Stones and deserves more respect than being treated like a salaried player who is disposable as some seem to want to happen.

In any case I don't want to start a Woody vs. Mick T debate as that seems to be verboten here so lets just say I disagree with you even if my opinion is "ludicrous"....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-20 19:07 by oldschool.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 20, 2009 18:54

NONO!!!! the stones with a new guitarst? LOL!,
that wouldnt be the stones..
Ronnie is going to play with them live.. i'm shure...

Date: December 20, 2009 19:27

skipstone
[
Wrong. They are not replaced, their position is just taken over. You can't replace a Gretzky or a Bradshaw. If that was the case those teams would have continued to dominate for another 10 years. They did not.

And this here, "Tom Waits (no slouch himself when it came to drinking) is quoted as saiying "Keith drinks like a dockworker" was said when?

A long time ago.

People change. You go by that logic, Keith must nod out nowadays because he's done a touch of heroin.

There's the myth and then there is reality. Keith's much more about reality these days. Obviously, because he has fun with his myth (image) in the press by snorting his father's ashes, inventing the coconut tree incident...

Sematics Skip, when sports players like you mention can no longer perform their teams get rid of them and bring in another player who can perform at a level the team deems acceptable. That is the reality of sports so if you want to use this as an analogy then logic dictates that Keef should be replaced as his playing has deteriorated over the past couple of tours to the point where, IMHO, his performances are more often off than they are on and he could easily be replaced with someone who can still play to a high level each night.....

Lets be honest, Keef is an alcoholic as is Woody. Keef just happens to be a reasonably functioning alcoholic where Woody can not always make that claim. Does Keef's drinking and other vices affect his playing?? Hard to tell but one thing for sure his playing has gone down hill lately to the point where some of his performances are down right embarrasing. So does this mean he should also be replaced?? You tell me.........

And Gazza I do understand the insurance concern but for me the issue is should the Stones sack Ronnie and continue touring with a salaried replacement? and personally I say no if Woody can't make it I feel it is time for the boys to hang it up before they become another version of the WHO with just Sir Mick and Keef touring with backup musicians making money off of the brand name......there is no wrong or right opinion in this case as this is just my personal feeling shared by others....

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 20, 2009 19:37

Gazza
Harlem Shuffler
Harlem Shuffler

Put it this way - does Keith have to go into rehab before every tour?

Ronnie's liver appears to be even more pickled than Keith's and to add to it, he has emphysema. His mental state is also a lot more fragile.

How Keith manages to be medically clear before every tour is a bit of a miracle in itself, but we've known for some time that he defies all medical logic. Not everyone has the same constitution, though.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Gazza.

To be fair to Ronnie,I don't think he has gone into rehab before EVERY tour, has he?

I'm not medically qualified but I believe the liver has great healing power and, as Ronnie stayed off booze for some considerable time, I would think that his liver isn't in such bad shape. I must stress this is guesswork based on a small amount of knowledge but so too is that article in the "Daily Mail" I shouldn't wonder.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 20, 2009 19:42

oldschool
TELE 72 WROTE:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you think the Stones are better these days with Mick T then Woody you are entitled to your opinion but I am not the only one who disagrees.

Also I never said anyone has to forget about Mick T. so not sure where this is coming from. Personally I thought the band was at there peak when Mick T was playing with them and my favorite Stones ERA is 69-73 but that was then and this is now. My feeling is Woody is an integral part of the Stones and deserves more respect than being treated like a salaried player who is disposable as some seem to want to happen.

In any case I don't want to start a Woody vs. Mick T debate as that seems to be verboten here so lets just say I disagree with you even if my opinion is "ludicrous"....

Didn't necessarily mean you personally in my comments. There have been many comments expressed here along the lines of "Mick Taylor never was really a Stone", "Mick T. is in worse shape than Woody", etc. I also think there is legitimacy to a debate about who would be stronger musically, but a lot of the stuff I've seen is more toward sentiment for Woody, rather than what is musically superior. I've probably said enough on the subject...

Date: December 20, 2009 19:43

Ha ha. "when sports players like you mention can no longer perform their teams get rid of them and bring in another player who can perform at a level the team deems acceptable."

Not really. They're not being 'replaced'. You don't 'replace'. It's just an open position. They Chicago Bulls didn't 'replace' Michael Jordan - they got another center and moved on. And that center was no where near as good as Michael Jordan - so that's not a replacement now is it. A replacement would be a new battery goes bad, put in a new battery.

That's not 'replacing' him. They didn't 'replace' Brian Jones - they got another guitar player. They didn't 'replace' Mick Taylor - they got another guitar player. If they were busy 'replacing' one of them, they would have sounded the same. They didn't.

But if you want to go at it that way then the Stones replaced the good guitar playing Keith Richards with...a not so good guitar playing Keith Richards.

Keith's embarrassing playing as of late should have one person concerned and since we've seen and heard over the years live releases of this and that with awful guitar playing, bad overdubbing, bad editing and bad miming, I don't get the impression that Mick is concerned.

It's embarrassing for fans for certain. Ha ha - I have yet to hear one complaint about Jimmy Page. And if I was someone who paid over x-amount of money to go see The Rolling Stones with a guitar player who, knowing ahead of time has not been playing worth the ticket price yet alone barely showing up, well, I'd want my money back.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home