Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Latest on Ronnie (includes mention of Mick, Keith, Stones)
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 21, 2009 17:43

Clapton's ego won't handle the Stones.

Why the hell does Mick Taylor keep getting mentioned? That's just like Clapton - will never happen. Some dreams need to end.

Jack White isn't good enough to play with the Stones - no matter how bad the Stones are or get.

Name one guitarist out there than can do what Ronnie does. They'd need to get three musicians to do what Ronnie does.

If they do indeed get rid of Ronnie for this supposed tour I'm sure Blondie will be the one to fill the position. If that were to happen they'd need to find someone to play behind Keith again...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 21, 2009 17:45

skipstone
Name one guitarist out there than can do what Ronnie does. They'd need to get three musicians to do what Ronnie does.

maybe you can enlighten some of us with bad memories...what are all these things ronnie does again?

Date: December 21, 2009 17:49

Well there's the B-bender guitar playing, the standard guitar playing, the slide guitar playing, the pedal steel playing and the lap steel playing (which is no big deal considering how he's been playing it lately - a monkey could do it as good).

Of course, they don't always play songs that feature pedal steel but they have.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 21, 2009 17:53

after 34 years he knows how to weave with Keith

Date: December 21, 2009 17:53

skipstone
Well there's the B-bender guitar playing, the standard guitar playing, the slide guitar playing, the pedal steel playing and the lap steel playing (which is no big deal considering how he's been playing it lately - a monkey could do it as good).

hmmm...i think you're onto something here. the stones could hire a chimp to play ronnie's parts...reduce costs to the consumer, add a little entertainment to the mix and there wouldn't be any further erosion of the actual chops...

great idea, skippy....

Date: December 21, 2009 17:55

Glad you like it! Hey - trying to make things more economical for the Stones which, I dunno, might make it more economical for the fans.

Oh WAIT - did I actually type that out? I must be drunk or something. Never mind the economic part for the fans. Ha ha. That's humourless humour there.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 21, 2009 18:01

Date: December 21, 2009 18:19

Almost everybody knows at one´s job an old man, tired of almos anything who is able at any time do the best task, in the worst environment, the best way and knowing almost at once where to go, who to ask and how to proceed. He knows the fastest an the cheapest way of meet goals. He roughly is willing to perform that way but when neccesary...hey...there he is.

Ron Wood has then no replacement. Ron knows what´s going on just by staring for just half a second to Keith´s eyes. After so many years Ron knows almost instantly how things are going (or have to go) just but hearing the first beat of Charlie. There is no money in the world able to buy a guitarrist with this know-how and experience. You might bring toghether Andrés Segovia, Jimmy Hendrix, Clapton and none of them would know the exact amount of poison and magic to add when playing, for instance, in IORR.

Date: December 21, 2009 18:22

Well what all of this really says (as do all the Ronnie threads) is I need another cup of coffee before I really get going with my day and that many many many people are posting here because they have nothing better to do than speculate about Ronnie period.

Or you could take that to say it's a big waste of time because nobody knows anything but they sure do like to run their fingers.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 21, 2009 18:29

jack white would shine with the stones - about the only replacement I can imagine well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:04

Lorenz
the point is not whether it's cool or not to get drunk, high whatever. the point is, the stones are a business and it does only work under certain circumstances...

Exactly, and at the end of the day if the 3 remaining originals still want to go out on tour and they see Ronnie as being a liability at best, I concur with most here that Mick and Co. will make that very difficult business decision. That's all I was trying to point out. I do think that it will happen, and if so, then they might as well get someone who would fit in very nicely, like Jack White. He may not NEED the gig, but who the heck in their right mind would pass it up!?!?!?

Not to mention the draw it'd have on ticket sales, and we all know how those have been over the years of late........due mostly to the prices, but still. Then they'd have a reason for charging even more!! UGH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 19:04 by VoodooLounge13.

It's on The Internet, It Must Be.......................Gossip!
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:11

>>many many many people are posting here because they have nothing better to do than speculate about Ronnie period.
<<

Speculation it is.
it started with one source - the Daily Mail. all others are rehashing the gossip.

let's remember the day when Chalie Quit!
started by undercover.com with information from the "inner-circle" eye rolling smiley
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:17

What? No Johhnny Winter or Alvin Lee smack! ?!

Re: It's on The Internet, It Must Be.......................Gossip!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:26

open-g
>>many many many people are posting here because they have nothing better to do than speculate about Ronnie period.
<<

Speculation it is.
it started with one source - the Daily Mail. all others are rehashing the gossip.

In fairness, the insurance/health issue has been speculated for a while now as a possible issue before the Daily Mail chose to make a story out of it

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:36

<< Why the hell does Mick Taylor keep getting mentioned? >>

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he was involved in the creation of the Stones' most compelling music. As much as it irritates you, he will KEEP being mentioned as long as his replacement is an inferior guitarist and a personal train wreck.

<< Name one guitarist out there than can do what Ronnie does. >>

You mean someone who noodles around on the upper fretboard with no tangible purpose and who spends a great deal of time onstage trying light cigarettes and mugging? You're right, I probably can't name one.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 19:40 by 71Tele.

Date: December 21, 2009 19:37

Well then, better set yourself on loop because that's all it's going to remain.

I would be stunned if they did get Mick Taylor back in the band. But there's never been any hint of such a thing.

So it remains a time locked dream for Mick Taylor Stones fans.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:48

71Tele

Oh, I don't know, maybe because he was involved in the creation of the Stones' most compelling music. As much as it irritates you, he will KEEP being mentioned as long as his replacement is an inferior guitarist and a personal train wreck.

You mean someone who noodles around on the upper fretboard with no tangible purpose and who spends a great deal of time onstage trying light cigarettes and mugging? You're right, I probably can't name one.

Spot on 71tele!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:56

71Tele

RAOTFL!!!smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 21, 2009 19:58

I believe it could happen. There is no evidence to suggest that Ronnie is going to pull himself out of the muck this time and get strong enough to pass a medical for a tour.

Neither is there any evidence that Jo will reprise her role has his minder, which has kept him more or less on the rails for nearly a quarter of century.

Who could replace Ronnie? Some hot young guitar gun who would just make the Stones look even more ancient in contrast? Some elder rockstar guitar hero like Clapton or Beck whose ego would not fit through the door?

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 20:00

Actually, Jack White would be a genius idea....he forms a new band about once a year so "sitting in" with the Stones for a year would work prefectly....except he'd totally overshadow Keith. In the White Stripes his guitar is about half the sound of the band.

Date: December 21, 2009 20:06

i'm not sure where all the baloney about clapton and his enormous ego comes from - but the guy has been a humble "band member" more than once in recent memory - alongside harrison on his last tour and in the Legends band with Marcus Miller et al in '97....other examples of sharing the stage with winwood and now with beck,as well....

not sure it could work for him to have a stint with the stones, but it certainly wouldn't be due to any ego issues he has - could be due to some that keef has, though....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 20:06 by T&A.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 21, 2009 20:12

Nothing but crap! Who said they might tour

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 21, 2009 20:13

"MT was involved in the creation of the Stones' most compelling music"

So 1963-1968 counts for nothing? 1975 - 1981?

He was a great musician but please not's let propel him to god like status eh...

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 21, 2009 20:28

If Ronnie can't do it which I hope is not true, then bring on Luther Dickinson from The Black Crowes.That's the kind of player that could breathe a new life into The Stones and he wouldn't seem out of place musically.

Date: December 21, 2009 20:49

Rochdale3
Actually, Jack White would be a genius idea....he forms a new band about once a year so "sitting in" with the Stones for a year would work prefectly....except he'd totally overshadow Keith. In the White Stripes his guitar is about half the sound of the band.

He definitely has his own thing going, but he would seem completely out of place in The Stones.Ronnie's guitar sound fits Stones so well that it has almost become as indispensable part of their sound as Keith's guitar.Ronnie could only be replaced properly with a Mick Taylor-like type of guitarist.Screechy White would only make matters worse.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 21:06

stones_serb
If Ronnie can't do it which I hope is not true, then bring on Luther Dickinson from The Black Crowes.That's the kind of player that could breathe a new life into The Stones and he wouldn't seem out of place musically.

Sorry but I do believe Luther Dickinson has a prior engagement!

Date: December 21, 2009 21:10

VoodooLounge13
stones_serb

Sorry but I do believe Luther Dickinson has a prior engagement!

Yeah, I know but since The Crowes don't tour Europe for some reason I'd rather have him with The Stones if Ronnie must go

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 21, 2009 21:16

Skipstone wrote

"Name one guitarist out there than can do what Ronnie does. They'd need to get three musicians to do what Ronnie does."

Ronnie would be difficult to replace for sure but just off the top of my head here are two who might fit.......

Ry Cooder, slide guitarist extraordinaire who can play pedal steel as well and has played on many a Stones session so he has a history with the band

or

Jackson Browne's old guitar/ Violin player, David Lindley if it has strings he can play it.

Sure there are more if I thought about it some more.......

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 21, 2009 21:24

ablett

He was a great musician but please not's let propel him to god like status eh...

Didn't say 1963-68 counts for nothing, did I? And as we can't dig up Brian, I fail to see the relevancy of your point in this particular thread. As for propelling Taylor to "Godlike status", again, I didn't do that. I said he was involved in the Stones' "most compelling music" which means primarily LIB through IORR, but more importantly the period when the stage band was firing on all cylinders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 21:25 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 22:12

71Tele
ablett

Didn't say 1963-68 counts for nothing, did I? And as we can't dig up Brian, I fail to see the relevancy of your point in this particular thread. As for propelling Taylor to "Godlike status", again, I didn't do that. I said he was involved in the Stones' "most compelling music" which means primarily LIB through IORR, but more importantly the period when the stage band was firing on all cylinders.

Spot on once again!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home