Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CHOPPY ... Robert Frank's Exile 8MM Footage
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 22, 2009 19:35

That cool Exile footage is very "choppy". Short snippets of the Stones, snippets of windshield washers, etc.

It occurs to me that maybe the choppiness might have less to do with the footage having been "edited" with any artistic thought by Mr. Frank at all... Maybe he had just chopped up the film because he was doing a print job back in 1972.. So he cut the film into shorter pieces that he could print with in his darkroom. Then he stuffed the pieces of film into a shoebox for twenty years or so.

?
You might think that I had nothing else to do but ponder this Exile stuff ad nauseam ... but I'm not so sure.

Edited by Videodrumz:

Re: CHOPPY ... Robert Frank's Exile 8MM Footage
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:28

I concur. This was before MTV, remember. I think it was maybe something to be shown on entertainment programs.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 23, 2009 00:41

I don't know enough about Robert Frank or who is working with him to have any opinion on your musing, but interesting to think about.

Why don't you write him and ask? He's still alive. You may be surprised to get a response.

Here's a video of an interview with him posted 8 months ago - I had trouble viewing but maybe you'll have better luck and get some insights into his creative process:
video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:27

Robert HATES talking about his time w/the Stones. I have a friend who met him & told him how much he loves CS Blues & Robert's face froze with disgust. As soon as my friend changed the subject Robert became human again.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:49

schillid
That cool Exile footage is very "choppy". Short snippets of the Stones, snippets of windshield washers, etc.

It occurs to me that maybe the choppiness might have less to do with the footage having been "edited" with any artistic thought by Mr. Frank at all... Maybe he had just chopped up the film because he was doing a print job back in 1972.. So he cut the film into shorter pieces that he could print with in his darkroom. Then he stuffed the pieces of film into a shoebox for twenty years or so.

?
You might think that I had nothing else to do but ponder this Exile stuff ad nauseam ... but I'm not so sure.

Edited by Videodrumz:

i was thinking the same thing when i used frames from the frank footage to use for my exile revisited cd project because that most of that footage was used for the exile on main street album art

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 23, 2009 04:04

My thought was that he originally shot very short clips.

i.e., it was "edited" in the camera.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 23, 2009 04:10

loog droog
My thought was that he originally shot very short clips.

Those very short short clips... some of them can be joined together (minus a few missing frames here and there).

As you can see here:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home