Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The "Its only rockn roll"-Album is underrated
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:23

Havo
The Band is on stage----AND IS ONE OF THESE NITESSSSSSSSS..........

Know your classics: "The band's on stage and it's one of those nights" smiling smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:39

Some superb tracks for sure!:

It´s Only Rock´n´Roll (But I Like It)
Time Waits For No One
Luxury
Fingerprint File

Also, Dance Little Sister grows over the years...

The other half of the album is so-so IMO.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:56

turkeys are fatefully undcided as to whether they over-rate or under-rate this album ..

they're damned if they do, and they're damned if they don't.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 23, 2009 23:58

FSW

turkeys are fatefully undcided as to whether they over-rate or under-rate this album ..

they're damned if they do, and they're damned if they don't.

Turkeys face bigger challenges this week.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2009 00:24

Compared what they did prior and after it, it is very BORING album. But compared to the standards from STEEL WHEELS on, it is a very good album indeed.

I don't think it is underrated at all. It is viewed quite a mediocre Stones album as it is. What has actually happened is that both albums 'surrounding' it - GOATS HEAD SOAP and BLACK&BLUE - are nowadays seen much better efforts than it, as I think they actually are. I don't think IORR will ever get such a new recognition of its value.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 00:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2009 00:30

I love every single second of IORR. So yes, I think it's definitely very underrated. It's got so much groove and the mood throughout the album is like nothing else.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 24, 2009 00:35

I like it.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 02:10

Quite interesting...

If we compare IORR to other Stones albums, this album gets a lower score. In fact, it wasn't their best work, but there are good tracks on it.

When I've heard this album for the first time, I was in love with it! It was because of Time Waits For No One! I've played that song over a million times. Later on I began to love If You Can't Rock Me, Fingerprint File, If You Really Want to Be My Friend...

I still love this album, but compared to other EARLIER works it's more of a loose album than a REAL rock album.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 24, 2009 02:22

Diamond Dog is correct. Songs mentioned are favorites of the L.O. Assortment of different music approaches makes this album unique.

L.O.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:06

It was DESIGNED to be a 'back to basics' album after the (wonderfully) ambient and excursive GHS.

The latter got criticised for having a lack of 'real rock' credentials - ie Keith in absentia on gutsy guitar.

So, with IORR< an intention to get a harder and more prominent, rootsy guitar sound.

But imo, Keith's lack of creative input is even more appparent on IORR. He throws in a few raw solos (Tracks 2 and 3). I bet Jagger came up with the riffs for IYCRM and DLS - which aren't wonderful by previous (Keith ) standards - by any standards. I think Keith's creative cupboard is bare. Look, he doesn't even throw in a single vocal offering. Are any of the songs his? Some nice layered rhythm on Luxury. But that song and nearly everything on the album smacks of Jagger. Pity that Woody got Keith's main number of the time - Act Together. (Sure the One You Need another - but maybe not strong enough for a Stones'album - in those days!)

Perhaps IORR's meanest guitar volleying is provided by Taylor on DLS. Delete the perhaps.

Jagger and Taylor (and Billy P and Nicky P and ... and .. and ..) had taken control of the product.

I feel it's a 'designer' album. I agree with Nick Kent's review that it has 2 Magna Opus - tracks 5 and 10.

5 cooks to a crescendo, courtesy of some great mood drumming (among other things).
10 really grabs you - atmospherics - tension - mainly courtesy of the splendid, wrenching rhythm riff - which is Jagger and not Keith!

At least on GHS Keith got to rollicking riff off on the album's closer.

It's an album of style and production than rather than substance. I agree with Nick Kent that the single wasn't 'hot potatoes' (a polite way of saying that it was laclustre/underwhelming). Besides, hardly any Stones play on it - and it is just a simple, Faces-style knockabout, drinking song dressed up in Stones' clothing.

Verging on a solo Jagger album in many respects. Too much attention to detail and instrumentation/stylisation. Lacking the 'less is more' Keith ethic. Cos Keith was missing in inaction.

His presence was a lot stronger on B&B and they got a dirty, grungey yet distinctive and spacious sound on that one - with simpler, more direct compositions/ song structures in which the instruments all have their own space to breathe. They were exploring new sonic territory on B&B. On IORR I felt tht they were more or less just copying/perfecting a sonic arena already developed and perfected by others - but applying it to rather weak songs. Compare the wonderfully loose and underproduced Exile (Sticky, Licool smiley.

I wonder if perhaps with IORR album there was too much Taylor involvement at the expense of Keith - and with MickT gone MickJ had to turn more to Keith for more guitar input, (though perhaps Billy P replaced MickT as Mick's main musical collaborator).

anyway, in summary - Black and Blue is authentic Stones
IORR album is designer Stones.

pardon the length - time to let some animate beings reveal their ratings ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 03:19 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:19

Eh, I like it, but I like GHS and BAB better.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:44

I think the only real memorable thing about iorr is Fingerprint File
Some nice ideas like Luxury, Dance Little Sister and If You Can't Rock Me, but they don't come off very well
Ain't Too Proud was fantastic in the hands of The Temptations - here, not really
The rest of the material I find to be rather trivial or uninteresting, or both

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 04:00

I wonder if they'll ever release, in some way, the original intent of what the album started out to be - side A covers, side B live tracks from the 1973 Euro tour.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 24, 2009 06:09

"Short and curlies" rocks and I think this album is generally considered an above average outing. It's just probably regarded as sub par (again in general) for the Stones. And I agree.

That said the first three tracks are killer as is the aforementioned S&C along with "Luxury" and TWFNO. "Till the next goodbye" could have been great but lost out to being too long and losing direction thru part of the track.

IYRWBMY is so blah I never listen to it. FF is ok but is far too long and DLS is ok also although I don't like Keith's guitar sound at all.

Posted by: British Columbia ()
Date: November 24, 2009 09:01

It's a really great album....as good as GHS and Black and Blue. Taylor's solos on If You Can't Rock Me and Dance Little Sister are fantastic!

Date: November 24, 2009 11:04

Very bad produced, imo. Still, some of my favourite songs are in there. A good album, not a great one...

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 11:24

It's an album of contrasts. If You Can't Rock Me seems out of place to me for some reason, not that there's anything wrong it, I really like the song. However, the rest of the album tracks are either simple rockers or mellow pieces. IYCRM will always feel like it's a track from a live album, it oozes live energy.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 11:24

squando
"Short and curlies" rocks and I think this album is generally considered an above average outing. It's just probably regarded as sub par (again in general) for the Stones. And I agree.

That said the first three tracks are killer as is the aforementioned S&C along with "Luxury" and TWFNO. "Till the next goodbye" could have been great but lost out to being too long and losing direction thru part of the track.

IYRWBMY is so blah I never listen to it. FF is ok but is far too long and DLS is ok also although I don't like Keith's guitar sound at all.

Short and Curlies rocks and is killer?????!!!!!!

Just wait till you here 'Is this the way to Armarillo', then.
Your life has so many rocking treats in store!

Skipstone:

'I wonder if they'll ever release, in some way, the original intent of what the album started out to be - side A covers, side B live tracks from the 1973 Euro tour.'

Now that could have been killer. Any idea what other A-side covers they had in mind or rehearsed?

Referring to Keith's 'absence' on IORR album.
He was getting his rocks off on Ronnie's album - as were many others, including MickJ and Mick Taylor. Now, THAT was a worthwhile release and a far more enjoyable and consistent listen than the bestially rated ('under' or 'over' - they choose) - IORR album.

Ronnie's album WAS R&R - and then some. I can feel its fire's warmth now.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: November 24, 2009 11:32

Great album and great cover artwork.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 24, 2009 12:37

Its Only Rock 'n Roll is one of those Stones LP's that I am completely indifferent about: it isn't a record I particularly care for, though nor is it a release I despise. There are some good tracks - not great - some merely so-so and some real duffers.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 24, 2009 12:47

Their worst album of the 70's by a mile. I listened to it again a few months ago and it does not really improve with age. I love the title song and figerprint file but the rest ranges from ok filler (if you can't rock me and dance little sister) to absolute crap (time waits for no one and til the next goodbye).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 12:49 by Ket.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 13:26

I think some of the tracks are quiet introspective tunes, probably driven by the crazy '72/73 tours.

Date: November 24, 2009 13:30

Ket
Their worst album of the 70's by a mile. I listened to it again a few months ago and it does not really improve with age. I love the title song and figerprint file but the rest ranges from ok filler (if you can't rock me and dance little sister) to absolute crap (time waits for no one and til the next goodbye).

Just out of curiousity: What do you like about the Stones if you find IYCRM filler and TWFNO crap?? smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2009 13:40

DandelionPowderman
Ket

Just out of curiousity: What do you like about the Stones if you find IYCRM filler and TWFNO crap?? smiling smiley

I'm not sure what you mean, I find TWFNO one of those songs that are very un stones like, not that that is a bad thing in itself but the song make me cringe, just over the top syrup. IYCRM is ok, It just does not stand out for me.
What do I like about the stones? They are my fav band of all time, I love the majority of their work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 13:46 by Ket.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 24, 2009 14:29

Its a very good album but it is not in my top ten Stones albums list.

All in all it is a better effort than Soup, but it suffers the same problem of Soup, it lacks of a sense of unity.

RE: the title track 3 stones of the current line up are enough to qualify it a stones track. And it is a great track. One of the best thanks to Keith's guitar work, which is absolutely killer stuff!

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 24, 2009 14:36

Wasn't the working title for Short and Curlies called Cut Your Balls Off? I recall reading that in NME a few months before it came out.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 24, 2009 15:05

I'm actually going to have to revisit this record. I honestly cannot recall the last I listened to it in its entirety. The last time it was in a CD player of any description, was last year when I transferred a few of the better track to my I-Pod

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 15:06

Ket
DandelionPowderman
Ket

I'm not sure what you mean, I find TWFNO one of those songs that are very un stones like, not that that is a bad thing in itself but the song make me cringe, just over the top syrup. IYCRM is ok, It just does not stand out for me.
What do I like about the stones? They are my fav band of all time, I love the majority of their work.

I really hope you're not of those people who only loves and listens to Start Me Up, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock and Roll, Sympathy for The Devil and sings with it all the time??

Can't stand those people.

=LOL=

Date: November 24, 2009 15:47

DiamondDog7
Ket
DandelionPowderman
Ket

I really hope you're not of those people who only loves and listens to Start Me Up, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock and Roll, Sympathy for The Devil and sings with it all the time??

Can't stand those people.

=LOL=
no, I only love jumping jack flash and paint it black smiling smiley honestly I think this album is overrated a bit on this board at least. I think Black and Blue was a huge jump in quality and much more intresting of an album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 15:52 by Ket.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:06

I find it hard to understand how any Stones fan can dislike Short and Curlies.. It has such a rollin' groove, and what great harmonies from Mick and Keith. I love it.

Now, Dance Little Sister... half an idea that just goes on and on and on...

but as we all know, opinions are like ... noses... everyones got one

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home