Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The "Its only rockn roll"-Album is underrated
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:10

It's Only Rock'N'Roll is overrated.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:25

......The album reached number one on the United States charts and number two in the United Kingdom....that's not underated.

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 18:52

Rip This
......The album reached number one on the United States charts and number two in the United Kingdom....that's not underated.

people bought the album and then rated it !

They were a highly rated band as a result of their work from 1966-73 - not because of the 1974 album itself.

Actually in UK GHS had very much broadened their appeal - made them respected/appreciated by a wider spectrum of fans (who might have previously considered them rather 'low'/basic.
Angie had helped too. So they were riding a wave - and IORR was much anticipated ...

... and then (be)rated!

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:07

for me, IORR is much better than GHS and BAB

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:13

Deluxtone

people bought the album and then rated it !

... and then (be)rated

un·der·rate (ndr-rt)
tr.v. un·der·rat·ed, un·der·rat·ing, un·der·rates
To rate too low; underestimate.

...that definition is about right

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: November 24, 2009 21:58

"...till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:10

I love Time Waits for No One and Fingerprint File - best songs on the album for me. Side One has no songs on it that I dislike, even Till the Next Goodbye. Side 2 though has Luxury, Short & Curlies and Dance Little Sister which all kind of make me yawn. Goats Head Soup and Black and Blue, though, are two albums I listen to WAY more than It's Only Rock N' Roll.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:31

Doxa

I don't think it is underrated at all. It is viewed quite a mediocre Stones album as it is. What has actually happened is that both albums 'surrounding' it - GOATS HEAD SOAP and BLACK&BLUE - are nowadays seen much better efforts than it, as I think they actually are. I don't think IORR will ever get such a new recognition of its value.

- Doxa

I think that's a popular opinion which is where the "Underated" idea comes from, and in that context I would agree its underrated. It has some solid material on it that's just as good the albums before and after it IMO.

B&B is more cohesive as an album that you can listen to from start to finish, but GHS is just as much of a hodge-podge album as IORR>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 22:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 16:23

I'm always amazed at how much bashing the band gets on a site that is supposed to be for "fans" of the band. IORR is yet another great 70s LP. There is such diverse styles on this LP. The balls to the walls opener if you can't rock me. The garage band sound of Dance Little Sister, The funk of Fingerprint File, The reggae of Luxury. The soulfulness of Do You Really Want To Be My Friend. The playfullness of Short & Curlies which is tongue in cheek ala Dylan's Rainy Day Women. I love the acoustic Till the next Good-bye. If there is an underated song it would have to be Time Waits For No One. How this song isn't included with Stairway & Freebird as tour-de-forces in rock I will never understand.

How many bands can put out a record of such diverse musical styles and be so good!!!!

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 25, 2009 18:31

saturn57
I'm always amazed at how much bashing the band gets on a site that is supposed to be for "fans" of the band. IORR is yet another great 70s LP.

I can understand the sentiment here expressed, but I don't see people here really bashing the Stones (some trolls may, but they don't count.). It is more like people are seeing the variaty in The Stones output, and trying to describe why some other effort is not so good as some others. We are not relativists here, now are we? As far as I'm concerned I am mostly interested anything the band comes up with, and to an extent I seem to 'like' anything (especially considering what I count as their classical 1962-1983 era). But that doesn't stop me trying to a bit objective about it, even though I am a fan (or I don't care if I am a called 'fan' or not - being a 'fan' is not any merit or achievement; I think what is meant by the term is to describe idiots like me wasting too much time, energy and money on subjects like the Stones.smoking smiley)

The other way to say it that if I think that EXILE ON MAIN STREET is a great album, I cannot use the same word to describe IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL. Because it is not as good album as EXILE is. If I use, then the whole term would lost its sense, and the discussion would get quite boring. Nothing would really matter. There is a difference beytween the quality of "Gimme Shelter" and "Back to Zero", aren't there?grinning smiley

But I agree that "IORR is yet another great 70s album". The band were such an incredible then then if taken out of its context, and not to be compared to, say, EXILE or SOME GIRLS - it is a strong album indeed. Since TATTOO YOU I don't think there is an album compared to it in qualitywise. In their hey-day they couldn't do much wrong.

- Doxa

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 25, 2009 18:51

I don't think it's 'another great 70s album' - by any stretch of the imagination, ...... or by extension of any philosophical argument!

Ron Wood's first album IS a great album though. Brimful of fresh ideas, lively interractive playing and some genuine soul in places, (compared with the pastiche of IORR's 'soulful' ballads).

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 25, 2009 22:58

Time waits for no-one-- great-- If you cant rock me--great

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 26, 2009 13:35

"Short and Curlies rocks and is killer?????!!!!!!

Ahhh you read and all. Don't remember calling it 'killer' however princess.

"Just wait till you here 'Is this the way to Armarillo', then.
Your life has so many rocking treats in store!"

Of course it does tiger. And how does one get to Armarillo?

"Ronnie's album WAS R&R - and then some. I can feel its fire's warmth now."

Oh dear how easily pleased some of us are...

Date: November 26, 2009 19:06

OOEEEE!!!!! Prince Squando is courting me!!!!

Yes, darling, I can read - (and do lots of naughty things beside) - but can YOU read this? :-

That said the first three tracks are killer as is the aforementioned S&C

Daddy is very glad that a real prince is showing interest in me after all thes years. He says you can marry me if you go down to the off licence and buy him 20 Rothmans.

I can't wait to meet you! I love playing tigers!

Here's something that's sure to get your Short and Curlies excited before our first encounter ........

..... and have no fear ........ I'm very easy to please .....

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2009 23:58

<< I don't think it's 'another great 70s album' - by any stretch of the imagination, ...... or by extension of any philosophical argument! >>

<< Ron Wood's first album IS a great album though. Brimful of fresh ideas, lively interractive playing and some genuine soul in places, (compared with the pastiche of IORR's 'soulful' ballads). >>

I agree with both of these statements. And I also think IORR was the first "patchy" Stones album, that didn't quite work as a whole. I do recognize that quite a few people here like the album very much. I personally was disappointed at the time, and I don't think it has aged particularly well. My feeling is that the rockers IYCRM and the title track were somewhat forced, and more care went into the ballads. It's interesting to note that those two rockers were songs about rock. Sort of like when Pete Towsnshend started writing songs about writing songs ("New Song", "Guitar and Pen", etc.)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2009 03:48

Doxa
[Compared what they did prior and after it, it is very BORING album. But compared to the standards from STEEL WHEELS on, it is a very good album indeed.

I don't think it is underrated at all. It is viewed quite a mediocre Stones album as it is. What has actually happened is that both albums 'surrounding' it - GOATS HEAD SOAP and BLACK&BLUE - are nowadays seen much better efforts than it, as I think they actually are. I don't think IORR will ever get such a new recognition of its value.

- Doxa

Doxa
But I agree that "IORR is yet another great 70s album". The band were such an incredible then then if taken out of its context, and not to be compared to, say, EXILE or SOME GIRLS - it is a strong album indeed. Since TATTOO YOU I don't think there is an album compared to it in qualitywise. In their hey-day they couldn't do much wrong.

- Doxa

Hi, Doxa-idiot, try to decide what you really think of it!angry smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-27 03:50 by Doxa.

Date: November 27, 2009 04:50

Hahaha I'm glad you are easy to please princess but alas currently I have no short and curlies at present. This may not please you.

It is also testament to you my bride to be that you are able to dig up such a clip. I didn't watch it but that chic looks like a cutie. If you are as cute my fair love then we shall marry before long.

Tell Daddy smoking is a poo poo habit and that until he can assign me a more worthy task to gain your affections that the wedding is off.

"Short and curlies" is also to be our bridal dance - should your Daddy ever mend his ways of course....

And Doxa go easy on yourself mate. You know what it's like some days you wanna listen to it cos you gotta pay rise the next it sucks cos the wife won't.

Date: November 27, 2009 15:32

Oh POOH!

My daddy will be disappointed - not about the fags though. I think I better not tell him your advice about smoking because, you see, his name is Keith Richards and smoking is the one habit that he won't quit.

When Mick brought his Short and Curlies song to my daddy, my daddy said that it was utter tripe and wanted nothing to do with it!

But one Keith's tripe is another Mick's steak, I suppose.

OK sweety, must dash to the offy for daddy now, - though now it's Kensitas he's after.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 28, 2009 00:04

I've stated this here before that because the 4 studio albums that preceded them GHS, IORR and B&B have been treated unfairly because they always get compared to a string of 4 flawless albums. These three albums are pretty damn good in their own right. I agree IORR gets slagged too much it is a fine piece of work.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 28, 2009 01:23

IORR is the sound of a band giving up. winking smiley

Date: November 28, 2009 05:09

Pity Mick didn't advise your daddy of the same re "This place is empty" and a number of others since 1974.

And re "people bought the album and then rated it" - although the statement is presumptuous basically I agree. But the same would be for almost any album they had made prior to IORR. Singles of course are different as people bought them already knowing the song. Many people throughout not only Europe and the US but the world would have bought GHS on the strength of the massive selling strength of "Angie". Given GHS is an average album whether compared or standing alone, it was hardly a reason for folks to be lining up to buy the Stones next outing - esp given the kick off single was only an average to poor hit re Stones standards then.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 28, 2009 06:52

What's odd though is, think of The Golden Four. First a single comes out that only appears on hits comps (JJF). Then comes SFM. Beggars is released an ice age later with no other single. ONE single from Beggars.

Honky Tonk Woman comes out only as a single that only appears on hits comps with an edit of YCAGWYW for the B-side - a hint at the next album. Let It Bleed comes out. No other single. NO single from Let It Bleed.

Brown Sugar comes out and then Sticky Fingers comes out. Then they release Wild Horses. TWO singles, both on the album.

Tumbling Dice comes out. Then Exile On Main Street. Then Happy comes out. TWO singles, both on the album.

Angie comes out. Then Goats Head Soup comes out. Then Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo comes out.

So there was a change in how it worked. The last three albums included the singles. Some of them were number ones, some of them didn't do a whole lot. All of them are memorable. Then they released what is perhaps the blandest single ever of their career - It's Only Rock'N'Roll. It's a total snooze. It just sits on the toilet. The next single was a cover. It went from the fantastic immediate Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo the snoozing IORR.

Don't know if that would have anything to do with the success of the album sales wise, popularity wise or respect wise. I think it does. I know those last 4 albums were all #1 on the charts but those weren't huge selling numbers either. It got worse with Black And Blue single chart wise.

Posted by: respectable2009 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 21:35

I always thought it was/is one of their all time best albums. There is not a bad track on it. So many great tracks never played on the radio and so are lost to time. Check Youtube for some interesting covers of Till The Next Goodbye. This was a real Jagger heavy album for the most part. It's Only R&R(written w/Wood),If You Really Want To Be MY Friend,Till The Next Goodbye,Fingerprint File,Short And Curlies(w/Stu)... all Mick and classic tracks.

Posted by: respectable2009 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 22:01

And speaking about If You Really Want To Be My Friend,it may be a sort of gay love song. The song lyrics go way beyond "friend". At points it is more like a love song,yet Jagger does say "If you really want to be my MAN" at one point. He is directing to song towards a guy for sure. At points,it sounds like it could be Keith Richards.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 29, 2009 03:09

respectable2009
And speaking about If You Really Want To Be My Friend,it may be a sort of gay love song.

there's nothing gayer about it than about "Let It Loose," which it seems to be an attempt to re-do. Much like all the other tracks except "Fingerprint File" and "Luxury," it's a paler shade of an earlier song, done competently but without inspiration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-29 03:31 by cc.

Date: November 29, 2009 04:40

cc
respectable2009
And speaking about If You Really Want To Be My Friend,it may be a sort of gay love song.

there's nothing gayer about it than about "Let It Loose," which it seems to be an attempt to re-do. Much like all the other tracks except "Fingerprint File" and "Luxury," it's a paler shade of an earlier song, done competently but without inspiration.

I must admit I'd never thought of IYRWBMF as a gay love song or LIL for that matter. I don't know or care if it is but I do think the former is a very poor effort on the Stones part. It's the only song on the album I don't like. It's sort of like what "Can you hear the music" is to GHS. It's a lemon.

I think the title track would have been a bigger hit (not that #10 UK and #16 US is bad) had it been clipped a minute or two. I love it the way it is but at over 5 minutes for the average radio listener, it's probably something that hindered it from selling better than it did.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: November 29, 2009 08:42

slew
I've stated this here before that because the 4 studio albums that preceded them GHS, IORR and B&B have been treated unfairly because they always get compared to a string of 4 flawless albums. These three albums are pretty damn good in their own
right. I agree IORR gets slagged too much it is a fine piece of work.
What he said!!!Short and Curlies is cool.Plus the detail on the remaster sounds great.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 29, 2009 09:06

> Jagger does say "If you really want to be my MAN" at one point. He is directing to song towards a guy for sure

Well, just because Jagger's singing it doesn't mean you should presume its from his perspective; a male singer can sing from a woman's perspective as well (e.g., "House Of The Rising Sun"). In this particular instance I think he's offering both points of view in the relationship, as a sort of point/counterpoint.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 29, 2009 11:13

There is nothing gay about Let It Loose....not that there's anything wrong with thatsmiling smiley

Date: November 29, 2009 12:06

Yeah gotta admit I don't hear the 'gay' bit in LIL either Tele.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home