Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Dance
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 8, 2013 17:56

Doxa
[To Kleermaker]

Yes, it was the right time and place, if we think those wild concerts in the early days, but the Stones with their music, attitude, looks, behavior etc. presented the stuff the kids needed at the time - so I would say the wild crowd reactions, riots, etc and the band went hand in hand, both stimulating each other. To an extent, the punk bands and their fans later followed the same pattern of behavior.

- Doxa

I fully agree, but the Stones in 1978 had socially nothing to do with the punk movement or anything like that. They were jetset people, using the finest drugs in the most save circumstances. They were part of the establishment themselves. So they used (or misused) the Zeitgeist by their own punk imitation act. It had nothing spontaneous, genuine etc. compared to their early period, when the drugs busts etc. took place. Of course their early rebellious image was also part of an act, but it was rather convincing. During their so called punk/SG-period it was all contrived, artificial and even hypocritical and cynical, because Jagger c.s. were at that time already solid conservatives. No, no and no again, the so called punk Stones from 1978 had nothing, I repeat nothing, to do with the Early Stones, musically nor socially.

Btw: of course I know the difference between the 'polite' and family-proof Beatles and the 'nasty', 'dirty', 'rebellious' Rolling Stones. I lived in that special era and recall very well that people mostly chose between the two bands, even though the members themselves had friendly contacts with each other. Finally I have to say that the Beatles were the first guys with 'long' hair etc. and were the 'bad' boys in the beginning. But soon they handed that stick over to the Rolling Stones, the ugliest guys of the western world.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 8, 2013 18:20

Kleermaker;
Btw: of course I know the difference between the 'polite' Beatles and the 'nasty', 'dirty', 'rebellious' Rolling Stones. I lived in that special era.

If you the difference between the Early Beatles and The stones you must be between 60 and 70 years old.

Date: August 8, 2013 18:24

runaway
Kleermaker;
Btw: of course I know the difference between the 'polite' Beatles and the 'nasty', 'dirty', 'rebellious' Rolling Stones. I lived in that special era.

If you the difference between the Early Beatles and The stones you must be between 60 and 70 years old.

I'm a couple of years before 60, but being a prodigy I was already aware of my social environment at an unbelievably young age.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 8, 2013 18:25

kleermaker

I'm a couple of years before 60, but being a prodigy I was already aware of my social environment at an unbelievably young age.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 8, 2013 18:34

His Majesty
kleermaker

eye rolling smiley

Here's the prodigy

Date: August 8, 2013 19:48

Ha ha, kleerie grinning smiley I hope that was a rare sign of self-irony on your part thumbs up

Date: August 8, 2013 19:59

DandelionPowderman
Ha ha, kleerie grinning smiley I hope that was a rare sign of self-irony on your part thumbs up

Rare? cool smiley

Date: August 8, 2013 21:01

It was good anyway smileys with beer

Date: August 8, 2013 22:34

DandelionPowderman
It was good anyway smileys with beer

Okay, let dance then.

Date: August 28, 2013 14:58

Ok, let's dance to some different licks within the same groove thumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 16:54

Here's an officially released instrumental version I never knew about until this message board, months back. Couldn't find that thread, but on it I asked why the Stones would release only a promo copy and none to the record shops. Someone here said that the Sucking in the Seventies album cover had caused controversy, and this was sent to the radio stations as an olive branch of sorts.

Date: August 28, 2013 17:28

Bill Wyman's touch make this song a Rollling Stones song.

Bill....we miss you.

Date: August 28, 2013 17:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 16:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 28, 2013 18:24

emotionalbarbecue

Bill....we miss you.

Which is the ultimate irony of Bill's 'replacement'. All that alleged jazz talent and not one jazz bass influenced Stones recording, or funk for that matter. Bill is so much funkier than Darryl. How does that even happen?

Date: August 28, 2013 18:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 16:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 28, 2013 18:44

24FPS
emotionalbarbecue

Bill....we miss you.

Which is the ultimate irony of Bill's 'replacement'. All that alleged jazz talent and not one jazz bass influenced Stones recording, or funk for that matter. Bill is so much funkier than Darryl. How does that even happen?
Bill is a rock star.

Posted by: Dman51 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:21

Does anyone have video of the Drury Lane performance? There seems to be a private YouTube video up of it but obviously it's not doing us any good since we can't view it. Hoping it belongs to an Iorr' who can make it public. Also has part 2 ever been performed live?

Date: May 30, 2015 16:24

Title5Take1
Here's an officially released instrumental version I never knew about until this message board, months back. Couldn't find that thread, but on it I asked why the Stones would release only a promo copy and none to the record shops. Someone here said that the Sucking in the Seventies album cover had caused controversy, and this was sent to the radio stations as an olive branch of sorts.

If we're talking about the same album, how could this...

Cause controversy?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 08:39

i actually like this song. i'm glad they didn't try to make it into a real song and just kept it as a great groove. again, much better than most of the filler on GHS, IORR, and B&B. and this has that great, very distinctive sound that permeates the ER album. dance indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-07 08:41 by Turner68.

Date: September 7, 2015 09:16

Fabulous weaving on Dance!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 7, 2015 09:36

One of their must underrated songs. No doubt. It's really really good.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 7, 2015 12:03

Maybe if they would have worked it more, it could have grown out to be a song. Now's just a groove, like Hot Stuff.
Some of their "just grooves" work out fine ("Slave", "Pretty Beat Up" ) but this is not one of them. It's nice listening to, but if I never would hear it again I wouldn't miss it.

Date: September 7, 2015 12:12

Wouldn't have changed a bit of it. It's really a groove with a rap-like verse. But let's not forget the brilliant bridges ("get up, get out" and "ooh, it's got me moving")!

Did Ronnie really play sax on Dance?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 7, 2015 15:45

and don't forget about the reggae great Max Romeo on backing vocals ... i always wondered if that great cackling in Dance was him?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 18:55

LeonidP
and don't forget about the reggae great Max Romeo on backing vocals ... i always wondered if that great cackling in Dance was him?

Lol I wasn't sure what you meant until I sang the song to myself (in my head) and then got to the cackling part and thought "oh yeah.... The cackling!" One of the best parts of the song. I always figured that was Mick though.

Date: September 7, 2015 19:10

Keith played on Max's album and Max sang on ER. Cool indeed!

Date: October 30, 2018 15:26

Maybe one of the very few times Keith got it wrong. I heard he wanted to put it out as instrumental. Rarely have I seen a song more mis-titled. Dancing does not come to mind. It grinds on and on, and it's does something that never happens w/ Stones and me: it bores me. I will rather listen to 22 minutes of "Munich Hilton".

Like I said earlier, I have been on an obsessive mission of Pathe Marconi outtakes. And I;m making a point to listen to each album many times in a row. Lately it's been "Emotional Rescue" sessions. That means "Dance" about 5 times in a row. It becomes obvious that Jagger was having a hard time with it. He couldn't seem to get a hook in there. But he was right IMO to persist with a lead vocal. Instrumental would have been worse. I read Keith saying that Mick jumped on it with words etc, but that doesn't come through at all.
I realized that all along it is Keith and Ron on guitars. Keith never alters his part. He is the guy on the single string low notes. Ron sounds like the guy riffing higher register w/ the minor key funk chords. He ends up trimming with each take.
The credits always have Ron on Bass. I don't believe that. First off it does not sound like a Ron Bass part; also when you are listening to outtakes, one after the other, you hear the banter, and you hear Ron changing his part, and the Bass coming in on same take. It all sounds more like Bill Wyman.

"Dance" again makes me think of the middle part of "If you can't rock me". After the fuzz bass comes in, Keith enters with that two stringing, mid range part. It's very rhythmic, and close harmonies; kind of trance-like. That is where I can see "Dance" coming from; that kind of place.

Date: October 30, 2018 15:34

There are many guitars in there, and Keith and Ronnie switch channels quite often.

IMO, it's a lovely mish mash of licks, edited to perfection on the album version. On the promo single, the mix isn't quite right anymore (sounds like an earlier mix).

For me, this swings. It's ridiculous how it grooves! And there are so many intricate details in there, that are interesting on their own - or in tandem with other guitar(s).

A masterclass of rocking, funky guitar playing. If I seek inspiration, or hit a wall when I'm working with something myself, this is my go-to-song thumbs up

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 30, 2018 15:57

Then along comes If I Was A Dancer (Dance pt2)........

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: October 30, 2018 16:12

ROLLINGSTONE
Then along comes If I Was A Dancer (Dance pt2)........

+ Dance (Instrumental) Part III

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home