Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Susan Boyle does Wild Horses
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 17, 2009 19:02

sweetcharmedlife
Natlanta
sticky?

this is ok but it's got a slightly elmer fudd aspect.

and those shows really really suck don't they.
Yeah,I certainly wouldn't describe this as Sticky worthy either.eye rolling smiley

I know what you mean. It's the first time a Sticky post should be removed.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 17, 2009 20:39

I absolutely hate the show. Sharon Osborne is intolerable (not that the other 2 are any more palatable) but I had to watch to hear the Wild Horses cover by Susan Boyle. I was extremely skeptical and never thought she of all people could do justice to a Stones song. I have to say that I was impressed. I thought she made it her own and her voice was in fine form. A pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 17, 2009 21:45

DaveG
I absolutely hate the show. Sharon Osborne is intolerable

Yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-17 21:47 by Carnaby.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:08

Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

If I record a Stones song and put it out will I get a sticky?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:24

skipstone
Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

Simply disgusting.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:27

Chris Fountain
skipstone
Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

Simply disgusting.
I wouldn't go that far. But it is an overdramatic piece of fluff....Springsteen doing Satisfaction swhould be stickyed. At least that's rock & roll.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:29

Skipstone I'm sure your guitar playing kicks arse but can you play as well as Susan sings? And could you interpret a Stones song like she has interpreted Wild Horses? If so bring it on!!! Coz if there's a competition amongst us IORRians as to who can record the greatest Stones cover and the good folks of IORR can vote on it then I'm all up for that. Bring it on! BV, please, let the games begin!

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:30

Maybe its because Wild Horses is on the Sticky Fingers Album, therefore it gets a sticky.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:36

Man!!! I thought you where all joking about the sticky thing.

I thought you where posting so much that it looks sticky thread

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:38

I thought she did an excellent job with it. It has certainly created some nex excitement about the song itself, and no doubt will bring some new Rolling Stones fans along with it. Fine job SB. Good luck with your new career. Mike

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:57

skipstone
Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

I suppose it's sticky so you can't miss it and post yet another Susan Boyle thread.

how many threads had to be merged into this one already?
anyway, it's too much work to clean up the board for such a minor subject of a topic.

I sense a little nordic irony in making it sticky. good one, BV.

Date: September 18, 2009 00:13

Would be kinda interesting to know what Mick and Keith think of this rendition - any official comment from either of them?

Date: September 18, 2009 00:41

Enough about wild horses...........

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 18, 2009 01:00

She looks like that Cashmere guy.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 18, 2009 02:25

Glad y'all have a sense of humour.

I can't record a Stones cover. It would sound too much like the Stones.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 18, 2009 02:43

MKjan
She looks like that Cashmere guy.

I have to say I think this version is horrid, especially the over use of vibrato in her voice. Each to their own though, I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 19:58 by vudicus.

Date: September 18, 2009 02:46

What's wrong with a vibrator

Date: September 18, 2009 02:48

Shit.......................I mean vibrato

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 18, 2009 04:58

RSbestbandever
I thought she did an excellent job with it. It has certainly created some nex excitement about the song itself, and no doubt will bring some new Rolling Stones fans along with it. Fine job SB. Good luck with your new career. Mike

i agree - i was pleasantly surprised by her version. and perhaps the excitement you mention is why BV made it sticky - there might be some new fans dropping by to pay us a visit...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 18, 2009 05:00

Manofwealthandtaste
Would be kinda interesting to know what Mick and Keith think of this rendition - any official comment from either of them?

haven't heard.
But if Mick/Keith think it's a fantastic version (which I think it is), you may find these Wild Horses-Susan Boyle bashers to shut the f*k up ?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 18, 2009 06:39

..........a lot of people saw it, which means the Stones benefit bottom line.

Here are the ratings:

NBC scored 14.7 million viewers and a 9.1 rating/15 share in households for the night, more than doubling the audience for its nearest competitor. CBS finished second with 6.21 million viewers and a 4.2/7, slightly ahead of FOX's 6.16 million and 3.9/6. ABC (4.6 million, 2.8/5) came in fourth. The CW trailed with 2.1 million viewers and a 1.5/3.

The adults 18-49 race was a little bit closer, with NBC's 3.5 rating beating FOX's 2.7 for the top spot. ABC took third in the demographic with a 1.7, edging CBS' 1.6. The CW drew a 1.0.

The hour-by-hour results:

8 p.m.

NBC: "America's Got Talent" finale (13.5 million viewers, 8.4/14 households)
ABC: "Wipeout" (6.2 million, 3.5/6)
FOX: "So You Think You Can Dance" (5.7 million, 3.6/6)
CBS: "The New Adventures of Old Christine" rerun (4.5 million, 3.1/5)/"Gary Unmarried" rerun (4.5 million, 2.9/5)
The CW: "America's Next Top Model" (2.8 million, 2.0/3)

18-49 leader: "America's Got Talent" (2.8)

9 p.m.

NBC: "America's Got Talent" finale (17.5 million, 10.5/17)
FOX: "Glee" (6.64 million, 4.2/7)
CBS: "Criminal Minds" rerun (6.63 million, 4.6/7)
ABC: "Crash Course" (3.7 million, 2.2/3)
The CW: "The Beautiful Life" premiere (1.5 million, 1.1/2)

18-49 leader: "America's Got Talent" (4.1)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 18, 2009 06:45

Manofwealthandtaste

I just heard. Mick and Keith's official comment is....Keep the checks coming.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 18, 2009 07:43

Eleanor Rigby
Manofwealthandtaste

haven't heard.
But if Mick/Keith think it's a fantastic version (which I think it is), you may find these Wild Horses-Susan Boyle bashers to shut the f*k up ?

or we may find susan boyle on stage with them as a future guest star?! lol...confused smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 18, 2009 09:54

open-g
skipstone
Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

I suppose it's sticky so you can't miss it and post yet another Susan Boyle thread.

anyway, it's too much work to clean up the board for such a minor subject of a topic.

I hope this is the reason...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 18, 2009 10:36

rootsman
open-g
skipstone
Why is this a sticky?

Is there a reason?

I hope this is the reason...

Sorry for being stupid, but what's this "sticky" business ? What IS a "sticky", as opposed to a normal "non sticky" post ?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 18, 2009 10:43

it's tacky to go anywhere near it

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 18, 2009 10:45

a sticky thread stays on the top of page one, whether it's the most recently added-to thread or not.
and yeah, i reckon bv's aim was to reduce the number of duplicate threads about this

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2009 11:30

little queenie
Eleanor Rigby
Manofwealthandtaste

haven't heard.

or we may find susan boyle on stage with them as a future guest star?! lol...confused smiley

If the song ends up charting the charts cross-Atlantic, I am sure Mick will do a duet with her in their next tour.

But what a great, moving, passional SONG it is... Very rarely I hear even a decent version of a Jagger/Richards -song, but this one really does a big favour in acknowledging their rich song-writer-talents; it is not just one-dimensional "Start Me Up", "Brown Sugar", "It's Only R&R" stuff like, I'm afraid, the big mass might associate them with... I am sure even THEY are proud...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-18 11:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 18, 2009 11:38

She has a beautiful voice but the arrangement absolutely destroys a wondeful Stones song.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 18, 2009 11:59

I don't know, I really don't know. I have to admit I haven't hard of the show and of the woman until now, so what I write is really my first impression. I honestly don't understand that so many people love it here. To me it sounds like an average Brodway musical melody, nothing more. The lady can sing, she has a voice, no doubt, but she absolutely riuns the song for me.

Now what is that show? Is it something like the Idol? I think that the very concept of the Idol and similar shows is sick. It is just a very truthful picture of the society we live in. Very sad one. I mean if Mick was 20 today and went to the Idol show, he wouldn't have a chance, sicne the way people are judged there is just very very wrong. It is made the way to attract the majority of people to the TV in order to earn a lot on advertisements and to produce an "idol" that will earn the TV or whoever a lot of money during a couple of weeks and then everybody can forget about it, since there is another contest. I don't buy that, I am into the "old way," when people who really want to do music start in small clubs, don't earn any money, but do it because they want to do it and because they love music and if they are good, they become bigger and beigger, they find their audience and the audience finds them. Then one day if they are really good, really lucky and...many other things...they might become stars. The real proces is much much more difficult, painful and takes much more time and energy than winning the Idol, but that is the only way the success can be durable. According to me.

Agagin, I write this not knowing anything about Susan Boyle and about the show, so I might be wrong. The only thing I have to insist on is that I don't like her version at all. Andrew Lloyd Weber might use it as some filler into his new musical. It is pretty much the way Sarah Brightman would sing Wild Horses. Would people get so excited about it? I don't think so.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-18 14:56 by Happy24.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1295
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home