Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
OT: 09-09-09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:47

Less than 48 hours from now, a great many of us will be rushing out to buy the new Beatles remasters, and a few of us might even be staying home from work to play that silly Rock Band game. I thought bv might appreciate it if we confined all of our senseless Beatles chatter to a single thread, so, here it is.

This thread is for Stones fans who admit to having a certain fondness for the mop tops. If you HATE the mop tops, please express your hostilities elsewhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 20:50 by tatters.

Re: OT: 09-09-09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:54

It's Beatlemania all over again. Those guys are going to be big one of these days.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:55

I, for one, think The Beatles are fantastic and I have been looking forward to the day of their albums sounding good on CD. I will not be rushing out to get the remasters but I will get them. Just like I did with the Virgin remasters...take my time...the print won't change...

Re: OT: 09--09--09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:56

I'm a sucker for the Beatles hype too.

Thinking about the new Beatles remasters makes me think about
how disappointed I was with the quality of the first Beatles CDs....specifically
Sgt. Pepper. I had expectations of amazing clarity and instrument separation ....
sorta like my expectations of the original Stones abkco releases.

I'm intrigued by the Beatles Rock Band...but I'm already invested
in Guitar Hero...and frankly don't have time to play that anyway. New baby you know...

Might repurchase a couple favorite Beatles cds (remastered) after a few UM Stones CDs.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 7, 2009 20:58

Has anyone seen any of the graphics for the Rock Band game? I saw the graphics for Here Comes The Sun, and noticed that while the song was recorded in the summer of 1969, when John and George had shoulder-length hair and full beards, they appear in the game, playing that song, looking like they did in the spring of 1968, clean-shaven and with much shorter hair. I hate historical inaccuracies like that. I can just imagine the conversations that took place. "Oh, dear. That's too much hair. We're going to have to clean them up a little." I just hate it when history gets re-written like that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 21:00 by tatters.

Date: September 7, 2009 21:03

skipstone
I, for one, think The Beatles are fantastic and I have been looking forward to the day of their albums sounding good on CD. I will not be rushing out to get the remasters but I will get them. Just like I did with the Virgin remasters...take my time...the print won't change...

You might find them at cheaper prices if you buy them the first week, though. I think Best Buy's gonna have the White Album (oops, I mean The Beatles) for $16.99. That's not bad. Usually, it sells for over $30.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 21:05 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:24

They have the whole stereo set for $199. I half-assed figured it out that it's cheaper to buy them individually than the box set...

The mono set is going to $249 or something extremely high like that. I was hoping they'd be offered as a stand alone item. Who in the right fuucking mind is gonna buy BOTH box sets? I can't afford either one of them.

The video game - ha ha. I really don't get that. I don't have one and never will. I like to listen to music, not karaoke the hell out of it with some shitty little 'guitar' or whatever with talentless people.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:25

I placed a pre-order with Amazon a few weeks' back for the box-set but now realise that it will be no cheaper than if I went to my local record store and bought them there.

As it is, the postman will call, I'll be at work, and I'll end up having to get them from the sorting office next Saturday!

Oh well.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:27

already been listening to them - stereo and mono - all weekend - well worth the wait!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:38

StonesTod
already been listening to them - stereo and mono - all weekend - well worth the wait!

Yup, The Beatles aren't coming they're here . . . or at least they're already all over the torrent sites.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:40

I read in The Sunday Times that these are possibly the best ever remasters in the history of the universe and possibly beyond. Apparently it really is like listening to the albums for the first time - there is so much detail in there. Amazing, as they're not even SACDs or 5.1 mixes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 11:40 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:47

camper88
StonesTod

Yup, The Beatles aren't coming they're here . . . or at least they're already all over the torrent sites.

i'm sure they are....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:47

Great, but I will not buy them, the old releases sound good to me already

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 22:28 by NICOS.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:19

Mine are on their way from play.com as I type.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:21

The Beatles???I remember back in 1963-1969.. I like "Rubber soul" and "Revolver".
...yeah--the Beatles will be in the Top 30 Of all time

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:22

I'm not a big Beatles fan at all but I'm listening to Please Please Me right now (Stereo) and it sounds fantastic, well worth the wait I think :-)

Posted by: HeatherAnnePeel ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:29

I am really looking forward to getting these!!!

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:41

Cool. A whole OT Beatle thread without somebody feeling the need to make a bitchy comment. Something of a record.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 7, 2009 23:12

I'm still pissed that you cannot buy the mono editions individualy.

Saying that though, I am curious to hear how the early releases sound in stereo.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:05

and you know that can't be bad...yeah
yeah
yeah

well it could be...
but i don't think it will be...
mccartney/martin too sharp...as we saw with 'love' mixes 4 circus soleil...
bring it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 00:07 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:32

Big Al
I'm still pissed that you cannot buy the mono editions individualy.

Saying that though, I am curious to hear how the early releases sound in stereo.
I can't beleive that they would spend all of that time remastering the monos only to release a limited boxset!? Maybe a cunning ploy by emi...

Date: September 8, 2009 00:33

And what's the deal with Let it Be? I don't see that available.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:40

I've heard them and they are fantastic! No fancy over-expansion of the original sound, just some nice, tasteful re-mastering that sheds new light on these fantastic recordings. I have both the complete stereo and mono remasters already and I admit it's a little jarring to hear those first 4 albums in stereo - I still prefer them in mono - but it's a treat all the same. It's crazy that nearly 50 years after the first lp the Beatles are able to have the best musical release of the year. To those that don't have them yet, do yourselves a favor and GET THEM when you have the chance. It's worth it. Christmas has come early this year, haha.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:52

StonesTod

Do you know if the stereo versions sound better on an iPod than the old cd versions? The extreme stereo panning drives me nuts on headphones.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:54

LastStopThisTown
quote]
I can't beleive that they would spend all of that time remastering the monos only to release a limited boxset!? Maybe a cunning ploy by emi...

Oh, it is a definite ploy by EMI - the mono boxset s dearer and features better packaging.

As I said: would defo be interesting to hear the eary releases in stereo, but am more curious to hear Rubber Soul - White album in mono than anything else.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 8, 2009 01:14

camper88
And what's the deal with Let it Be? I don't see that available.

On the mono box set? Its not, nor are Abbey Road and Yellow Submarine because they were only mixed for stereo release (likewise with the singles from 'Ballad of John & Yoko' onwards)

The press release explains it :

"The White Album" was never issued in the U.S. in mono, and there are some songs that are significantly different in mono. For example, "Helter Skelter" and "Don't Pass Me By" have different sound effects and the timing of the jet effects in "Back In The U.S.S.R." varies.

"Yellow Submarine" was issued in mono in the U.K., but it isn't included in the mono box, because the mono "Yellow Submarine" album was merely a fold-down of the stereo LP. There were no subtle differences between the stereo and mono versions of the album as they both came from the exact same mixes, so there was no reason to do a mono CD remaster of the "Yellow Submarine" album for the box. And besides, there were only four new Beatles songs on the album, those recorded specifically for use in the "Yellow Submarine" movie. To allow us hear those four songs in mono, they are included on a special 2-CD set prepared for the mono box called "Mono Masters."

"Mono Masters" is the mono equivalent of the stereo "Past Masters" set. It was designed to fill in the gaps by containing all of the mono masters that are not on the mono albums. Its track listing is similar to the stereo "Past Masters" 2-CD set, but it does vary slightly from the stereo set. As for the singles that weren't on albums, it includes the singles up through and including "Get Back," which was the last single mixed for mono. Although "Get Back" was issued as a stereo single in the U.S., it was a mono single in the U.K. So Mono Masters doesn't have "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," "Old Brown Shoe" or the single version of "Let It Be" because these songs were never mixed for mono, although "You Know My Name" is included because it was issued only in mono. It has the four songs from the "Long Tall Sally" EP, which was only issued in mono. And, it has the four songs recorded specifically for the "Yellow Submarine" movie, "Only A Northern Song," "All Together Now," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much."

Date: September 8, 2009 01:28

Gazza

The press release explains it :

"As for the singles that weren't on albums, it includes the singles up through and including "Get Back," which was the last single mixed for mono. Although "Get Back" was issued as a stereo single in the U.S., it was a mono single in the U.K. So Mono Masters doesn't have "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," "Old Brown Shoe" or the single version of "Let It Be" because these songs were never mixed for mono, although "You Know My Name" is included because it was issued only in mono. It has the four songs from the "Long Tall Sally" EP, which was only issued in mono. And, it has the four songs recorded specifically for the "Yellow Submarine" movie, "Only A Northern Song," "All Together Now," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much."

Wow, It's all too much is right.

I'm confused, I'm feeling sick, in fact I think I may have mono.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 8, 2009 02:38

Been listening to the Beatles a lot lately. Just listened to Abbey Road. A few loser, but WOW - stunningly good music.

For you haters, they're still awesome.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:22

Another reason to buy the box sets is that they have the bonus documentaries that are not on the individual ones, and more expansive liner notes as well. For a limited time.

Posted by: HeatherAnnePeel ()
Date: September 8, 2009 05:24

These re-masters are essential, period.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home