Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: OT: 09-09-09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: September 8, 2009 07:18

I hope to get a few of their remasters. I've always like them, I only own 2 cds by them. Sure took their time to get this stuff out.

Posted by: Kick Jaggards ()
Date: September 8, 2009 07:47

Kiss my f..king ass and go straight to hell McCartney.

It needed to be said.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 8, 2009 08:58

It's interesting how the game is getting more press than the remastered versions.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 8, 2009 09:02

I have all their CDs already and except for Rubber Soul they sounds OK to me. I'll wait and buy these boxes when they are For Sale...

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: September 8, 2009 10:11

HeatherAnnePeel
These re-masters are essential, period.
the flacs are essential, period lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 10:11 by Slick.

Date: September 8, 2009 10:55

I have all the CDs already in the form of their 'Black Box' set which included the 13 albums and Past Masters vol I and II :

Really can't wait to hear the new remastered versions and check out the booklets and photos which will accompany them. Looks like Apple are doing a fab job on these releases. Roll on 09:09:09.......actually, that's tomorrow!

Date: September 8, 2009 11:04

By the way, did anyone see the excellent film of the Beatles first U.S. tour in 1964 made by the Maysles brothers?
It can still be found on BBC iplayer - [www.bbc.co.uk]
Fascinating stuff!

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: September 8, 2009 11:35

Downloading the stereo remasters right now. FLAC of course. Cant wait til someone posts the mono box set. Prob next week. Hopefully sooner.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 12:45

Manofwealthandtaste
By the way, did anyone see the excellent film of the Beatles first U.S. tour in 1964 made by the Maysles brothers?
Fascinating stuff!

Great movie! The show in DC is worth the price alone. Watching Ringo and the lads turn his drum platform around to face another part of the audience is precious. They are on fire, and do probably the best version of I Saw Her Standing There ever! Full of power and awe. Great film!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 8, 2009 12:53

I'm looking forwarding to buying these. I think they will sell lots of units.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:22

Beatlemania for me at the moment!

I pre-ordered the Mono Box and a few stereo remasters and I just got the message that they have shipped. I can´t wait to hear these, they are supposed to sound excellent. It´s gonna be a long day at work tomorrow...

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:33

Tomorrow is the day of the year for me!!!
Can't say which band I prefer more. Stones or Beatles?
Got all the old vinyls from my dad, bought the old CDs by myself over last years.
And what I've heard so far, it's such a stunning sound. That proofs how good they actually recorded back in the 60's at Abbey Road.
My dad once was at the Abbey Road Studios back in the 80's, when they opened them for a week or so for the public. The studio was set up as if the Fab Four just left the recording sessions and they played some of the original tapes. My dad always said, that the sound was so great.
And I think, that this is kind of the same sound we all know will be able to hear.
For me, it's a privilege to go to my record dealer tomorrow and buy the CDs.

But what I don't understand is the hype for all those rockband and guitar heroes games. I'm in the mid-20s and love video games. I play a lot with my friends. But I prefer taking my real guitar, put on some music and play to the CD rather than pushing 5 colored buttons on a fake plastic guitar.

So a big YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! for the CDs and no to the game

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:49

who cares ?

Date: September 8, 2009 13:50

John1982

So a big YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! for the CDs and no to the game

Quite agree with you about the game, John1982, but there is a mighty cool advert for it : [www.thebeatles.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 8, 2009 13:58

It hurts to see that what really sells out in a music-instrumental store is these awful games...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 8, 2009 14:20

out of my head
Downloading the stereo remasters right now. FLAC of course. Cant wait til someone posts the mono box set. Prob next week. Hopefully sooner.

Both the mono and stereo boxes are already available on demonoid.com - both as mp3s AND (more importantly) lossless.

Have binned the version I have from my ipod already to make room for the new ones. Heard some of them last night (only the stereo masters so far) and even for this non-audiophile, they're everything they're cracked up to be.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 8, 2009 14:24

Manofwealthandtaste
Fascinating stuff!

Fascinating indeed!

Equally interesting was the programme entitled, "The Beatles In Russia", a very moving documentary about the growth and development of an enitire sub-culture of Fab Four fans, at a time when communist Russia had banned their music.

The programme documented how, in the face of strict punishment, fans managed to make and distribute their own flexi-discs of Beatles music, and how they constructed their own electric guitars using pick-ups from public telephone boxes.

What really surprised me however, was the development of an almost God-like status that the band still have in Russia to this very day; a level of worship that, it is strongly argued, actually brought down communist rule.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 8, 2009 16:48

skipstone
They have the whole stereo set for $199. I half-assed figured it out that it's cheaper to buy them individually than the box set...

The mono set is going to $249 or something extremely high like that. I was hoping they'd be offered as a stand alone item. Who in the right fuucking mind is gonna buy BOTH box sets? I can't afford either one of them.

The video game - ha ha. I really don't get that. I don't have one and never will. I like to listen to music, not karaoke the hell out of it with some shitty little 'guitar' or whatever with talentless people.

I don't think I can shell out for a box set right now, either, but I'm definitely gonna buy SOMETHING on Wednesday. Maybe Past Masters. I think that might make a good sampler as it spans their entire career.

I don't really get the video game myself. My wife had to explain to me what it is and how it works. Apparently, it isn't EVEN as good as karaoke because you don't even hear yourself "playing". If they had it set up so that you could hear the sound of your own "playing", be it good or bad, mixed into the Beatles performance, and making THEM sound either good or bad, that would be pretty cool. But apparently all you do is press the buttons they tell you to press and the sound is the same regardless of whether you do it correctly or not.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 8, 2009 16:54

whitem8
Another reason to buy the box sets is that they have the bonus documentaries that are not on the individual ones, and more expansive liner notes as well. For a limited time.

I thought the bonus documentaries ARE on the individual stereo CDs, for a limited time.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:14

YEs, I think you are right tatters! I wasn't remembering the facts straight. Sorry if I caused a panic:-)

Posted by: SeanC ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:25

Just been listening to the remasters - they are flacing well worth all the flac - I mean the fuss!! Brilliant to hear these so beautifully tidied up! Its like listening to actual reels in the studio - Outstanding!!

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:31

I don't have money to buy it sad smiley So I entered a competition to win it.

Wish me luck! winking smiley

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:33

tatters
skipstone
They have the whole stereo set for $199. I half-assed figured it out that it's cheaper to buy them individually than the box set...

The mono set is going to $249 or something extremely high like that. I was hoping they'd be offered as a stand alone item. Who in the right fuucking mind is gonna buy BOTH box sets? I can't afford either one of them.

The video game - ha ha. I really don't get that. I don't have one and never will. I like to listen to music, not karaoke the hell out of it with some shitty little 'guitar' or whatever with talentless people.

I don't think I can shell out for a box set right now, either, but I'm definitely gonna buy SOMETHING on Wednesday. Maybe Past Masters. I think that might make a good sampler as it spans their entire career.

I don't really get the video game myself. My wife had to explain to me what it is and how it works. Apparently, it isn't EVEN as good as karaoke because you don't even hear yourself "playing". If they had it set up so that you could hear the sound of your own "playing", be it good or bad, mixed into the Beatles performance, and making THEM sound either good or bad, that would be pretty cool. But apparently all you do is press the buttons they tell you to press and the sound is the same regardless of whether you do it correctly or not.

I'd like both boxsets, but that's a lot of dough! I'm wondering too if the 'extras' in the stereo box are worth it, seems buying them individually might be cheaper.

As for the game...yeah, you don't actually hear what you're playing...if you play it right, you hear the correct music...if you play it wrong you hear kind of a 'plunk' sounds instead of the music. I probably wouldn't bother with the game except I get such a kick out of watching my 8 year old sing all these songs that I grew up with while he recruits his friends to play drums and guitar to them!

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:42

This site: [www.thebeatles.com] that video that plays there, how the hell did they do that? After they've crossed the street and John and Ringo turn around, that is definitely Ringo.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:56

Will be buying one of the boxsets tomorrow, that's for sure. Shame the mono one doesn't have abbey road or let it be though, although I understand why...

Great adverts on tv, as posted on this thread.

Incredible to see the weekend papers full of beatles articles, reviews, photo's etc... For someone that missed it originally it's the next best thing. I'm in heaven!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 17:58

About the video game thing, I think I've changed my mind about the whole thing after watch the opening cinematic:

[www.thebeatles.com]

I think that video games are apt to become as rich and interesting as film and vinyl records were for my generation (I'm 47), and that while they don't replace the idea of playing the guitar (or any other intstrument), they're a fully valid form of artistic expression when they're done well--and this Beatles game seems pretty cool.

Just as there are a lot of crap movies and a lot of crap albums, there'll be a lot of crap games, but the good ones transcend the limits of the genre and open up new possibilities for new ideas and expression. Besides, compared to recorded music and film, games are in their infancy. Give them another twenty years and I think games will be viewed to be artistically significant as any other mode of expression that's revered today--I'd argue that they've already reached this state for younger generations.

If the Stones version of this game came out, I wouldn't stop playing my guitar, but I might invite a few of my non-musically inclined friends over for a few rounds of Rocks Off.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 8, 2009 18:24

yorkey
how the hell did they do that? After they've crossed the street and John and Ringo turn around, that is definitely Ringo.

Sure looks like Ringo.

The magic of computers. I had some friends over last weekend and their two boys (ages 4 and 6, but going on 24 and 28) were playing a baseball video game and the older one asked me: "is that a real movie or a video game movie, because it sure looks real." When you can fool today's six year old, then you know the technology must be pretty good.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2009 20:17

Oh yes! Have just dug out my dads old Beatle LP’s for the first time in nigh on a decade and what do I discover? Please, Please Me and Beatles for Sale in stereo, and wait for it: Help! Revolver and Sgt Pepper all in glorious MONO!

I gave all the above a little spin and whilst, IMO, Please, Please Me doesn’t work in stereo, Beatles For Sale sounds pretty dawn good and as for Sgt Pepper, well…

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 8, 2009 20:25

kovach
tatters
skipstone

I'd like both boxsets, but that's a lot of dough! I'm wondering too if the 'extras' in the stereo box are worth it, seems buying them individually might be cheaper.

As for the game...yeah, you don't actually hear what you're playing...if you play it right, you hear the correct music...if you play it wrong you hear kind of a 'plunk' sounds instead of the music. I probably wouldn't bother with the game except I get such a kick out of watching my 8 year old sing all these songs that I grew up with while he recruits his friends to play drums and guitar to them!

Anyone who knocks the Guitar Hero game, probably hasn't really tried it. It's actually a lot of fun, and very, very additive. There's a reason it's as successful as it is (in an extremely competitive gaming market).

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: September 8, 2009 21:44

Who gives a shit about these new CD's? I'll pass. My money will be saved for the only band THAT MATTERS!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2137
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home