Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: OT: 09-09-09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 8, 2009 21:52

glencar
Who gives a shit about these new CD's? I'll pass. My money will be saved for the only band THAT MATTERS!

still stuck in that sixties junior high thing?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 8, 2009 22:27

if they beetles are coming PLEASEEEEEEEEEE send them away--- FAR away!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:25

no beatles cd's for me. not that silly game either.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:27

It's taken a while. But it seems the slow its have found this thread. You guys are losing your touch. It took 2 pages of people actually enjoying themselves before you started raining on the parade.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:31

The MONO releases that I've heard dont sound as good as the Ebbets and Purple Chick releases. Alot of collectors I know actually say Apple should be embarrassed to claim this remastering job!

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 8, 2009 23:37

It's almost 09.09.09. Only a few hours to go!!! It's just like Christmas.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 9, 2009 01:21

You mean you havent already heard them?

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:18

These new versions sound amazingly better than the 1987 cds. Really great sounding. Anyone know how i can join demonoid.com. I really want the mono versions. Gazza ? Anyone ?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:51

Big Al
I'm still pissed that you cannot buy the mono editions individualy.

Me too, but what really pisses me off is that they didn't put mono AND stereo versions on the SAME disc. They could have. Beatles albums are really short.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2009 02:56

tatters
Big Al

Me too, but what really pisses me off is that they didn't put mono AND stereo versions on the SAME disc. They could have. Beatles albums are really short.

Its a all a rip-off. I'm just glad I have dug out my fathers original Parlophone mono Sgt Pepper - good nick, too. Don't need the remastered CD! Same goes for Revolver and Help!

Date: September 9, 2009 03:01

Gazza

"Mono Masters" is the mono equivalent of the stereo "Past Masters" set. It was designed to fill in the gaps by containing all of the mono masters that are not on the mono albums. Its track listing is similar to the stereo "Past Masters" 2-CD set, but it does vary slightly from the stereo set. As for the singles that weren't on albums, it includes the singles up through and including "Get Back," which was the last single mixed for mono. Although "Get Back" was issued as a stereo single in the U.S., it was a mono single in the U.K. So Mono Masters doesn't have "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," "Old Brown Shoe" or the single version of "Let It Be" because these songs were never mixed for mono, although "You Know My Name" is included because it was issued only in mono.

I think I read somewhere that South American copies of the Hey Jude compilation DO feature mono mixes of The Ballad Of John & Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, but that these are just mono fold-downs of the stereo mixes, not true mono mixes.

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: September 9, 2009 03:07

StonesTod
glencar
Who gives a shit about these new CD's? I'll pass. My money will be saved for the only band THAT MATTERS!

No, I'm stuck in that "not-gonna-fall-for-the hype-yet-again" thing. I bought that Let It Be...Naked, I bought Number Ones, I bought the anthologies & I bought crappy Sgt. Pepper. I'm not pissing away my money on the same old shit. I find it HIGHLY amusing that the same frauds (not you!) who carped about buying the new Stones UMG remasters are recommending this shit. Enough already.

Date: September 9, 2009 03:12

glencar
StonesTod
glencar

No, I'm stuck in that "not-gonna-fall-for-the hype-yet-again" thing. I bought that Let It Be...Naked, I bought Number Ones, I bought the anthologies & I bought crappy Sgt. Pepper. I'm not pissing away my money on the same old shit. I find it HIGHLY amusing that the same frauds (not you!) who carped about buying the new Stones UMG remasters are recommending this shit. Enough already.

but these are really, really good. honest. and the eyes in my head keep spinning round....

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 9, 2009 03:19

Am I correct in thinking that they have kept the 1987 re-mixes of "Rubber Soul" And "Help" for the Stereo editions and the original 1965 Stereo mixes are added to the mono editions?

Date: September 9, 2009 03:26

vudicus
Am I correct in thinking that they have kept the 1987 re-mixes of "Rubber Soul" And "Help" for the Stereo editions and the original 1965 Stereo mixes are added to the mono editions?

I don't follow. I thought the '87 stereo editions were the same as the original stereo vinyl editions?

I thought that the latest incarnations were just remasters and nothing else. I hate complications.

Date: September 9, 2009 03:27

vudicus

That is my understanding.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 9, 2009 03:32

Big Al
vudicus

I don't follow. I thought the '87 stereo editions were the same as the original stereo vinyl editions?

I thought that the latest incarnations were just remasters and nothing else. I hate complications.

They mostly were, but these 2 albums were re-mixed in 1987 by George Martin because he didn't like the primitive Stereo mixes from 1965.
Those re-mixes were used for the 1987 releases and it appears that they were used for the new Stereo re-masters too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 03:33 by vudicus.

Date: September 9, 2009 03:37

Big Al
vudicus

The original 1965 stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul featured very extreme stereo separation. When those albums were remastered for CD in 1987, George Martin actually created entirely NEW stereo mixes for those albums with much less extreme stereo separation, putting the vocals in the middle, for example, instead of all on one channel. For the 2009 remasters, the stereo CDs of Help and Rubber Soul feature Martin's 1987 remix. The original 1965 stereo mixes of those two albums have been added onto the MONO editions of those CDs.

Date: September 9, 2009 03:46

tatters

The original 1965 stereo mixes of those two albums have been added onto the MONO editions of those CDs.[/quote]

How do you mean, 'added'? Sorry, tatters, am no expert! Do you mean as an extra?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 03:47 by Big Al.

Date: September 9, 2009 03:49

Ahh, the good 'ol days!

Date: September 9, 2009 03:52

tatters
Big Al

Yeah thats crap. They could have combined stereo and mono for one great package for each title. And maybe even add the singles on the respective releases to get rid of past masters. Still good stuff. Not gonna buy them though. Just get the FLACs. I already gave them my money once.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 03:55

glencar

Actually, it's not hype. It's a better product is all. Don't buy it if you already have it or it's not for you, but do think about the 17 year old who's buying his or her first Beatles cd's. Should they buy the old ones? Or should they be happy that their actually attempting to improve the quality of the cd's without compromising the work?

Sometimes things aren't always about folks who are old enough to have been there and they're for a new audience to get the chance to experience a version of what others once found so enchanting about a band. The Beatles are doing this, or at least attempting it here with these remasters. Don't buy it if you're not buyin' it, but don't jump on the idea as a bad conspiracy plot, just . . . let it be.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: September 9, 2009 03:57

Big Al
tatters

The original 1965 stereo mixes of those two albums have been added onto the MONO editions of those CDs.

How do you mean, 'added'? Sorry, tatters, am no expert! Do you mean as an extra?[/quote]

Yes. The mono versions of Help and Rubber Soul will feature the 1965 mono AND stereo versions of those albums. Of course, these will only be available in the mono box set, which brings us back to the things that piss us off! (LOL)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 04:00 by tatters.

Date: September 9, 2009 04:02

out of my head
tatters
Big Al

Yeah thats crap. They could have combined stereo and mono for one great package for each title. And maybe even add the singles on the respective releases to get rid of past masters. Still good stuff. Not gonna buy them though. Just get the FLACs. I already gave them my money once.

i think they have my money thrice....

bee gees did a nice job offering their early albums in mono & stereo on a single disc....great, great albums, too...

Date: September 9, 2009 04:02

out of my head
tatters
Big Al

Add the singles? You mean like having Paperback Writer and Rain as bonus tracks on Revolver? I like it!

Date: September 9, 2009 04:09

Yeah. The singles from the same period of each album on the respective album. Captures the whole vibe

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 04:19

Yoko's announced (don't know why she did this) that the Beatles will be on iTunes starting tomorrow.

I wonder how long it'll be before the Beatles game is played on iPods.

edit: EMI's now disputing Yoko's claim that The Beatles will be on iTunes.

Kind of reminds me of a song:

You say yes, I say no
You say stop and I say go, go, go
Oh, no . . .

or is that Ono?

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 04:41 by camper88.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 04:32

Actually, I see the sense of not combining them all on one disc for one box set. Most fans don't want all the stuff on a single disc...and are not as interested in trawling through numerous versions. Now I am not one of them, but also like the novelty of the Mono Box being a stand alone from the Stereo. Yeah, it is more cash, but a nice collectors curio. I am buy a few so when they go out of print...Ebay!

Date: September 9, 2009 04:37

I didnt mean on one disc. Same album title package and two discs. One stereo and one mono. I dont like those combined discs either. Would be convenient. But I also agree that the mono box set is a cool collectors item.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 9, 2009 05:24

I'm sure that Steve Jobs is not happy with Yoko. Who is. I heard this deal with Itunes rumored last week is worth about $600 million. One reason was the original copyright infringement suit settlement in the 1980's over the name Apple. Apple computers agreed never to get into the music business.

I can't for my mono set.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home