Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: OT: 09-09-09; The Beatles Are Coming!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 12, 2009 01:16

tatters
You can really only compare a record's heaviness with other records that were recorded right around the same time. In 1964, for example, probably nothing was heavier than You Really Got Me and All Day And All Of The Night .... although I Feel Fine comes close, especially when you hear it newly remastered.

coltrane, miles, ornette and dolphy were the heaviest in '64

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 12, 2009 01:23

Leslei West from Mountain was fairly HEAVY

:0

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 12, 2009 03:05

naw it was Jeff; check "TRUTH" and "BECKOLA" there it is. single lines HEAVY; jeff a genius. zep followed

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 12, 2009 07:35

tatters
Beelyboy
jeff beck invented heavy metal. just sayin...

It would be interesting to see just how far back we can trace the roots of what came to be known as Heavy Metal. Jeff Beck was always on the cutting edge of what was considered "heavy" at any given time. The Yardbirds Heart Full Of Soul, with Beck on lead, was heavy for its day, but Ticket To Ride, recorded even earlier, in Feb. '65, is even heavier. In everything they did, the Beatles always managed to be just ahead of the curve.

Ive heard this statement before: How is Ticket to Ride heavy metal? There is nothing heavy about that song, not the guitar, not the drums, not the bass or even the vocals. This is heavy metal in early 1965:

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 12, 2009 15:36

The Who's "I Can See For Miles", with its no-holds-barred, sheer unadulterated onslaught of noise, was my own particular embryonic moment in the heavy metal stakes.

...sounds as good today, as it ever did.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 12, 2009 15:47

Got the entire box at HMV Oxford St, London on 09.09.09.
Only had a couple of old singles left, and was silly enough to give away around 10 albums in the 70s - to a friend who's a hard core Beatles fan. I got some Stones singles in return, though.
Gonna play the entire collection, one CD a day, starting today. Excited like a child on Christmas Day.
But I'm looking even more forward to Ya Yas and particularly Exile.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 12, 2009 15:53

My box arrived Thursday. About half way through + loading onto ipod. The quality is breathtaking.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 12, 2009 17:35

Barn Owl
The Who's "I Can See For Miles", with its no-holds-barred, sheer unadulterated onslaught of noise, was my own particular embryonic moment in the heavy metal stakes.

...sounds as good today, as it ever did.

Funny how the definition "heavy metal" has changed. AC/DC used to be considered by many as heavy metal, now they're mainstream rock and roll, some describe as blues based boogie rock and roll.

Zeppelin used to be considered heavy metal by many, but not anymore.

I still say Deep Purple was the beginning of it, leading to Sabbath, which of course led to all sorts of speed/death metal.

Just my opinion...

Date: September 12, 2009 17:39

i still say Blue Cheer.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 12, 2009 18:35

Happy Jack
Ive heard this statement before: How is Ticket to Ride heavy metal? There is nothing heavy about that song, not the guitar, not the drums, not the bass or even the vocals.

Ticket To Ride is not heavy metal, but it's definitely a precursor, an ancestor, to heavy metal. It was, at the time it was recorded, in Feb 65, the heaviest rock and roll sound that had ever been put down on tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-12 18:37 by tatters.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: September 12, 2009 18:53

i wanna buy that fking box!!
its too expensive so ill wait for christmas , man i love beatles , this box will make my beatles life really different!
i just saw it at a record store and every album looked so good!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:08

I think the Beatles were undoubtedly the most consistently creative group of all time and if you stack all their albums against any other artist, the Beatles come out winners pretty much in every instance. However, as far as musical preference is concerned the Stones are always going to outstrip the Beatles in my opinion for sheer funkiness, dirtiness, sexiness etc. which the Beatles were never really into at any stage of their career. The Beatles preference had always been songwriting, and creating/incorporating new and different sounds, but they've never really moved me in the way the Stones, and several other groups have managed to do. The Beatles were always about approaching music with a clean and craftmanlike approach, more primitive emotions, alongside more dynamic musicianship belongs to many of their contempories.

These new remastered cds are certainly better in terms of clarity, but the stereo mixes in some cases leave a lot to be desired and rob many of the tracks of their power - they are hardly definitive. I think the mono mixes are the real revelation with these new releases, and then we're forced to buy the entire box set to acquire them instead of being able to buy the albums individually.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:24

tatters
Happy Jack
Ive heard this statement before: How is Ticket to Ride heavy metal? There is nothing heavy about that song, not the guitar, not the drums, not the bass or even the vocals.

Ticket To Ride is not heavy metal, but it's definitely a precursor, an ancestor, to heavy metal. It was, at the time it was recorded, in Feb 65, the heaviest rock and roll sound that had ever been put down on tape.
I can't tell if you are joking. Are you? If not please explain how "Ticket to Ride" is a precursor to heavy metal. I'm anxious to read your response...

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: September 12, 2009 20:39

ChrisM
tatters
Happy Jack

I can't tell if you are joking. Are you? If not please explain how "Ticket to Ride" is a precursor to heavy metal. I'm anxious to read your response...

I personally don't see the connection between Ticket to ride and heavy metal either. However, it was Lennon himself who called it the first heavy metal song.
Read here under "cover versions":
Ticket to ride Wiki

Date: September 12, 2009 21:24

Perhaps it was John was having us on then...

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 12, 2009 21:42

I got both the Stereo Box and the Mono Box, and both are fantastic. In particular, I am absolutely blown away by the mono versions of Revolver, Pepper and the White Album. They really are different to the stereo versions - much punchier, and they sound much more cohesive. In particular, Pepper had been one album that I was less keen on than the others in stereo, but in mono it is an absolute revelation. The White Album sounds much heavier in mono, more powerful, much tougher. I am loving it!

Date: September 12, 2009 22:46

And lets not forget taht the beatles freed Russia for the yolk of communisam and they also ibented penicillin to which i am forever grateful, having to take it twice a day for the rest of my life.

Oh and Ringo discovered gravity.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 13, 2009 00:44

Picked up Past Masters and the White Album today. I've only heard parts of the former, but I was fully prepared to be underwhelmed. Chose these two because they were $16.99 a pop, while the single discs were $12.99 apiece.

I Feel Fine and She's a Woman are two songs I'll play when the friends come over tonight. These discs simply make you feel like you're hearing the music for the first time up close -- like every time you heard it before you were on an airplane.

Not a disappointment by any stretch.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 13, 2009 00:48

Oh man, my wife secretly ordered me the box set which arrived this morning. It felt like Christmas. Until now I've been using my DVD player to play my CDs but these wouldn't play on it so I've gone and ordered a new player (for those interested it's an Oppo which plays multidisc formats including Blu-Ray, DVD, CD SACD, CD-R etc so just waiting for that to arrive. And I'll also be able to hear the Stones 60s stuff on SACD for the first time too. Happy days ahead.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 13, 2009 12:24

tatters
Beelyboy

It would be interesting to see just how far back we can trace the roots of what came to be known as Heavy Metal. Jeff Beck was always on the cutting edge of what was considered "heavy" at any given time. The Yardbirds Heart Full Of Soul, with Beck on lead, was heavy for its day, but Ticket To Ride, recorded even earlier, in Feb. '65, is even heavier. In everything they did, the Beatles always managed to be just ahead of the curve.

Between that power chord riff and the early use of distortion, the Kinks invented heavy metal on You Really Got Me. All roads to heaviosity begin at You Really Got Me.

On the sixth day, Dave Davies carved up the speaker cone on his green amp and asked "How much heavier could there be?" And Ray responded "None. None more heavy." And thus the metal church came into being.

Date: September 13, 2009 15:53

I've being inputing data all week into my CRAY Super Mainframe, sales, impact,beards,hair on the abck of the enck syndrome, critical acclaim,public perception and laods more and the results are in. The The BeaTles were in fact underestimated world wide by a factor of 18.9% the The subject is now closed.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 13, 2009 15:56

Nanker Phlegm
I've being inputing data all week into my CRAY Super Mainframe, sales, impact,beards,hair on the abck of the enck syndrome, critical acclaim,public perception and laods more and the results are in. The The BeaTles were in fact underestimated world wide by a factor of 18.9% the The subject is now closed.

Based on some of your spelling it looks like the bar is still open...

Date: September 13, 2009 17:51

i think spelling is overrated, its more typos than misspellings anyway. now wher is that upper case key ?

Date: September 13, 2009 20:50

@#$%&
I am the best ever. End of discussion.
Shhhhh. Don't tell Mohammad Ali!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 14, 2009 00:22

congrats to Dame Vera Lynn - the oldest ever artist to hold Number One spot
in the album charts.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: September 14, 2009 03:12

baxlap
tatters
Beelyboy

Between that power chord riff and the early use of distortion, the Kinks invented heavy metal on You Really Got Me. All roads to heaviosity begin at You Really Got Me.

On the sixth day, Dave Davies carved up the speaker cone on his green amp and asked "How much heavier could there be?" And Ray responded "None. None more heavy." And thus the metal church came into being.
Hmmm, how about Link Wray's "Rumble" rom 1958? I'm still scratching my head about "Ticket to Ride" There's something about the joke I'm not getting...

Date: September 14, 2009 03:17

Barn Owl
glencar
I post at other boards but I never go there & say, "STONES ARE THE BEST!!!!" which is what I see on this board. Again, the beatles are a fine pop band; no more & no less. Please Please Me is probably the equivalent of Tell Me but around 1967 the Stones started soaring well above. BTW Thanks for disagreeing respectfully. Others could learn.

This is a message board that is made up, predominantly, of Rolling Stones fans (myself included), most of whom have an active passion for music generally. It's why we're here; it's why we thrive as a community; each one of us bringing something to the table so that others can share, agree, disagree, reminisce, speculate, debate or even laugh with. Much of it is about the Stones (naturally), while the remainder is made up from all manner of “Off-Topic” posts.

It is of no surprise therefore, to find that a major event, such as the long-awaited launch of the Beatles Re-Masters, becomes a topic to invoke considerable interest from those of us here who happen to have an interest in the Fab Four. Naturally, it will also attract a fair number of jokers and detractors; and there is no problem with that. If someone, such as Beelyboy for example, isn’t sufficiently moved by the Re-Masters series, then he is fully (and quite rightly) entitled to his opinion. Additionally, if someone simply does not like the Beatles, then fair enough. It’s their opinion and they should be respected for it.

The situation is different however, when other posters such as yourself, use the thread as a means of propagating their own childish, hate-fuelled agendas; put simply, it gets up other people’s noses, especially when it is pre-empted with the patronising, “Honestly, I’m not a Beatles hater, but….” type of attack.

It is these same posters who do not seem to be able to get it into their thick skulls that the very people here who are praising the Beatles efforts are Rolling Stones fans themselves, and NOT some kind of perceived enemy from within; these same idiots who are happy to proclaim the Stones as the biggest grossing live act in the world, but will race to pour scorn upon anyone else’s success, regardless of whether it is U2, Springsteen, or, heaven forbid, the Beatles. That’s when denial sets in, and the term, “overrated” conveniently comes into force as a desperate last line of defence, simply because someone has had the temerity to point out the hard FACTS about the Fab Four’s phenomenal and unmatched success.

Significantly, they are also the first to bleat and cry wolf when those of us who actually CARE about music, provide impassioned responses to their childish, bigoted perspectives.

…what else do you morons expect?
You are indeed wise my feathered friend...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 14, 2009 04:38

In the '70's I recall reading--but I can't remember where, it might have been an article about the Beatles in Rolling Stone--something about how when "Ticket To Ride" was released it was an indicator that rock was about to get LOUDER.

45 years later it doesn't really fit any definition of "heavy metal" we have today, and nobody called it that back then.

Maybe the "louder" perception helped to set the stage for music that would happen later, but like most Beatle music "Ticket To Ride" was a little too melodic to fit into the heavy metal genre.

It's rock n' roll. Pure and simple. The Beatles were a great rock n' roll band.

Sure, they could make "pop" music--if that's what you want to call it--when they wanted to. Some of the younger people who are self-appointed members of a musical "border patrol" are obsessive on this point and insist on calling them a "pop" group. And they couldn't be more wrong.

First and foremost, The Beatles were a rock n' roll band. And from Liverpool, to Hamburg, to London, and across the Universe...they were The Best.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: September 14, 2009 05:43

ChrisM wrote:

Hmmm, how about Link Wray's "Rumble" from 1958?

I could not agree more. Link Wray is great.

I received the mono set on Friday. I highly recomemnd it.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 14, 2009 23:49

Is Hussain Bolt overrated?
No, he is unarguably the best at what he does.

However, that'[s a rather false analogy because, as people have pointed out, music isn't about competition.

Ideally, no it's not about competition - until you introduce music charts.
No question, the Beatles ruled the charts in the sixties, like no other group has done. No question either that they led the way with recording techniques. Variety of styles, harmonies - damn everything. They were leading - and everyone else followed. They weren't competing, however - they were just dong what came naturally to them. They were naturals and they were ofcourse aided by Epstein, dr Roberts and herb.

No, they cannot be over-rated.

But are they 'better' than Stones, Zep, Who, Dylan?
Is a mammal 'better' than a reptile?

And if there had been no Beatles (and I believe Dylan) the Stones music would not have evolved how it did - both speed and direction. The Beatles' uncompetetive musical ambitions fuelled the Stones' (and others') competetive musical ambitions.

So that is why ALL Stones fans should highly rate the Beatles - even if they don't care so strongly for their style(s) of music.

I don't think the Beatles were influenced by the Stones.

Beatles less derivative. Stones more derived.

That's the end of the objective bit. Personally i prefer the Stones - from ist album to end of Eighties.
I find it hard to 'take' early Beatles' skiffle approach to R&B - then all the early silly pop hits. Love, Love Me Do. I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

But the wealth, depth and breadth of White Album, Let It Be and Abbey Road, all underpinned with their warmth, humanity and humour - how they had developed in 4-6 years.

The Stones' earthy, energy - 'real' r&B - the template formed by 1963 - and then honed and to some extent controlled and channelled (not 'tamed') - harnessed - in the next 4-6 years. Some more country, some more folk- but he same rootst and raw approach.

Where the Stones did develop more than Beatles from 63 to 69 (and beyond) was ofcourse LIVE. Cos that was they're 'raison d'etre'. Therein the difference.

Vive la difference.

Vive les Beatles. Vive les Stones

Mammals and Reptiles!

they are not overratted

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home