Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: U2 Tour Help
Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:18

I know there was another thread about this, but thought some IORRians who have seen them could help out with the following. I want to try to catch them at Giants stadium this coming week. If i get tickets that are traditionally behind the stage (where you can't see a band perform), will i be able to get a perfect view of them (and the stage) because of this whole 360 degree view set up? thanks!

Re: OT: U2 Tour Help
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:26

You can see the back of the stage here:

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 20, 2009 12:44

If you chose a behind-the-stage ticket make sure you don't sit in the first five or ten rows in the lower tier.

Sitting a bit higher allows you to get a better overview over the stage.

I have seen them on this tour from a lot of different angles/places and I enjoyed every show.

Regarding the 360-concept: The amount of playing directly to the back of the stadium varies from show to show, they don't really play 360...but the giant and very good screen along with the very good sound system used on this tour and the fact that all four band members move around on stage and catwalk can make it a joyful concert experience in 360 degrees...

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: September 20, 2009 13:03

No, because they are (all show concept) always turn in front (my experience from Zagreb).

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 20, 2009 13:39

At Sheffield, there were one or two songs in the set where they played mainly to the "rear" of the stage.

During most of the other numbers, they would sometimes turn to the people at the back.

Two things worth noting however:

1) The sound is incredible.
2) The visuals are incredible.

It's a great show!!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:31

See below...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 14:37 by GuessWho.

Date: September 20, 2009 14:36

Don't know what happened there!

I was at the Glasgow Scotland show and noticed that occasionally Bono would sing to the rear of the stage however not often.

The performance was mainly directed towards the "front".

Not really 360 mostly 180

BTW I'm not a great U2 fan but really enjoyed the show and the spectacle.

One thing.....they shouldn't hide the keyboard player under the stage!

Here's my view from the £30 credit crunch seats!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 14:40 by GuessWho.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:54

U2 has turned in to a crowd pleaser band that mostly plays soft rock songs. This is also refleceted in the last CDs where most songs are easygoing soft rock songs / ballads. And that's what the majority of the audience nowadays wants.

I don't know if we would like a Stones CD with 10 Angie similar songs - I wouldn't.

I don't know if we would like a Stones tour with 20 Angie similar songs - I wouldn't.

Date: September 20, 2009 16:42

mtaylor, you don't have a clue...seriously...

that "crowd pleaser band" just dropped "Pride" from their setlist...

Date: September 20, 2009 16:50

I think when bands get to stadium level (and want to remain there) in most cases they have to play a certain amount of crowd pleasers (hits or major album tracks)

Being a casual U2 fan (ie I knew the hits and also listened to their latest album on Spotify - I knew they opened their shows plaing 3 new songs as well as other new stuff later in the set) I thought their show was a good mix of hits and others.

When they return to Scotland I'll see them again on the strength of the setlist and show I saw in August.

I'm sure the same is true of the Stones.....they fill stadiums, not completely with diehard fans, but mainly with casual fans...the type who rarely post on forums like this.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 20, 2009 16:56

Papo
mtaylor, you don't have a clue...seriously...

that "crowd pleaser band" just dropped "Pride" from their setlist...

Don't have clue - listen to their music "easy going soft rock music" - no challenge as a such.
Easy going rythm, where the audience can stand and sing along like a tralalala - where people / couple can stand hand in hand, look supidly happy etc.
That's what I call "crowd pleaser band".
If they play Pride - couldn't care less.
Listen to "magnificent" - where Bono sings magnificent, magnificent tralalalala - soft rock music.

Date: September 20, 2009 19:25

I would not call that "soft rock". It's a pop song.

U2s last long player is far from being "not challenging", although the last two singles might let you think that (Magnificient and the terrible "I'll go crazy..."). But remember "Get on your boots"? Not their best effort of course, but not challenging? No way.

As in their live shows, they don't play it safe. Starting off with four new songs, including some rare stuff from time to time (like Electrical Storm, Ultra Violet (regular), Your Blue Room - from the Passengers album and not quite working in the stadium -). They take risks - again, as I should say, as All That You Can't Leave Behind was a play-safe record in 2000).

And of course they play some/a lot of their hits, which are hits because they're very good songs (e.g. Where The Streets, One, With Or Without You).

They are closing this years shows with the very hard to sing "Moment of Surrender", by the way...it's a challenge, and the band are up to it and most of the times Bono sings it just perfect.

Finally I agree with you: U2 are a crowd pleasing band today, as they don't fail to please the crowd on this tour.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 20, 2009 19:27

I saw them in Glasgow, and it was clear they were using backing tapes / hidden musicians. It was still a good spectacle until Bono turned into a tosspot. He was positively sneering at the crowd when a few "fans" booed when the sound went off at one point. As for the stage. It is fantastic. But it is NOT in the middle of the park. It is recessed about two thirds back. Bono did pay the people behind some attention early on, but not later. Oh, the Edge was fantastic.

Date: September 20, 2009 19:41

They've been using backing tapes/ loops since 1984. Their keyboard player, Terry Lawless, is introduced during the show but hidden underneath the stage. Unfortunately.
U2 are not making a secret of "the hidden keyboard player" or the loops/tapes, never have.

Anyway, I'd prefer it if they had Terry onstage with them. I like to see the musicians as well as hearing them. In Chicago/ Toronto Terry was onstage (at least for one song, I think). That's the way they should do it.
But Terry Lawless himself seems to prefer to be under the stage instead of being "in the spotlight".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 20, 2009 22:32

mtaylor likes a band to play predictable warhorse laiden sets - ahhh, like The Rolling Stones. Really really safe and conservative. He wouldn't like a U2 show because they play songs off their new album regardless of how it's done in sales (unlike another band we know) and a plethora of various album tracks throughout the tour, not just one show (unlike a band we know, again).

And he's mistaking 'soft rock' for what is essentially 'classic' U2. Soft rock is Streets Of Love or anything Billy Joel, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or that bitch Elton John does.

Date: September 20, 2009 23:18

Right there, Skipstone...!

As I said, mtaylor hasn't got a clue...

Normally I do not compare one of my fave bands to another of my fave bands, but as mtaylor critized U2 for their "rhythms" and lack of "challenge" above, well, I don't think that the Stones can be called "Ambassadors of Polyrhythms" either...

...but: so what!

What do I care what mtaylor thinks...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:00

I will be 75 rows up on side of the stage. I expect not to be able to see that well.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: September 21, 2009 06:34

Thanks for the helpful posts all. I'll end up being behind the stage, first tier about 16 rows up. Hope it works out.

As for U2, I think we can all agree they are no Stones, but they've put out some great music, especially in their early years. Bad, Pride, Gloria, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday and others (all of Joshua Tree) are fantastic, passionate, rock and roll songs. Achtung Baby is very cool and innovative.

In their recent years they've definitely become more pop-oriented, but the music is still respectable. And most important of all, from what I've seen and heard, they put on a hell of a live performance. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 21, 2009 10:57

mtaylor
U2 has turned in to a crowd pleaser band that mostly plays soft rock songs. This is also refleceted in the last CDs where most songs are easygoing soft rock songs / ballads. And that's what the majority of the audience nowadays wants.

I don't know if we would like a Stones CD with 10 Angie similar songs - I wouldn't.

I don't know if we would like a Stones tour with 20 Angie similar songs - I wouldn't.

How many of the shows have you seen? You wouldn't write it if you have seen one.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 24, 2009 08:48

Just got an email with parking options at the Rose Bowl. It said 96,000 people are expected at the show.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 24, 2009 10:06

European dates for 2010 announced:
[www.u2.com]

10 August, 2010 Commerzbank Arena Frankfurt
12 August, 2010 AWD Stadium Hannover
15 August, 2010 Stadium Horsens
20 August, 2010 Olympic Stadium Helsinki
25 August, 2010 Luzhniki Moscow
30 August, 2010 Ernst Happel Stadium Vienna
3 September, 2010 Olympic Stadium Athens
6 September, 2010 Ataturk Olympic Stadium Istanbul
15 September, 2010 Olympic Stadium Munich
18 September, 2010 Stade De France Paris
29 September, 2010 Olympic Stadium Seville
2 October, 2010 Stadium Coimbra

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 24, 2009 10:21

Good fun show.

They play most to the front and the sound can be horrible (as Wembley 1). The screens are just great and they put their new album down your throat (in avery good way)

So, from any place you'll be seeing them you'll have a very good time. Except while Bono's saving the world.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: September 24, 2009 17:17

Papo
... and the terrible "I'll go crazy...").

I really don't care for "I'll Go Crazy...", (mainly just because of the title/line) but it was the highlight of Monday's show. They generated TONS of energy on that one!!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 24, 2009 18:09

Go to Giants Stadium in Google Earth and turn on the 3D buildings...

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: September 24, 2009 18:10

got so-so review in NYC papers

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: September 24, 2009 18:33

I find it rather idiotic that Bono is always asking people to donate money for various causes all over the world, meanwhile U2 is on tour with an elaborate stage that costs $750 000 daily to produce. Sure it's cool looking and all, but come on. Humility goes a long way, Bono!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 24, 2009 19:00

This is great news. I can't wait to catch U2 again next year. I think Helsinki, Munich and Paris seem kinda interesting. Awesome!!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 24, 2009 19:04

BluzDude
Just got an email with parking options at the Rose Bowl. It said 96,000 people are expected at the show.

Do they know USC isn't playing.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home