Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: OT: Impressive U2 tour boxscores
Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 21, 2009 12:38

<<<Ausverkauft war das Konzert trotz dieser besonderen Beziehung der Band zu Berlin mit über 90.000 Besuchern übrigens nicht ganz, obwohl die Karten zuletzt ja erheblich verbilligt angeboten wurden. Die Preise, die in Deutschland höher lagen als in jedem anderen europäischen Land (angeblich wegen der Auslands-Künstlersteuer) schreckten wohl doch viele Gelegenheitsfans ab, und von dem Ramschaktionen hatten manche wohl nichts mitbekommen. Erst recht hatte wohl niemand damit gerechnet, dass man auf Weg von der U-Bahn zum Konzert mit etwas Glück sogar eine Karte geschenkt bekommen konnte.>>>
Berlin was not sold out and a lot of tickets went off for free or almost nothing....I got a free ticket as well.
This kind of concerts have reached "the line of horizon". Its a big moving Vegas show and no concert at all, horrible. It is extraordinary that Bono plays this game so well. Please Mandela, Obama and all other big guys in the world, next time you'll meet Bono talk to him and lets fight for to rescue the real Rock Concerts. Bann U2 until they have become back to earth. Sentence them to play a couple of club gigs. I doubt they are able to play small venues anymore.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: July 21, 2009 12:48

that´s actually true. i got my ticket for 40 euro which was originally 68 euro.
and i admit that the fact i got the tickets cheap made me go, especially because my friends came with me who wouldn´t have payed like 80 or 100 euro.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 21, 2009 14:22

timbernardis
Gazza
The 5 nights in Amsterdam was actually in 1998, not 1995. 250,000 tickets sold in a couple of hours. And then they returned to play a field show in The Hague a couple of months later in front of some 80,000 people.

The Stones were (and still are) huge. However, the days of multiple night runs in the same venue are a thing of the past at the prices they charge now. In 1998, tickets were about £35-40.

My guess would be that the money itself is not the only reason they charge such high prices, but because physically they no longer have the stamina to play multiple shows in a short time frame in each city, so this is also a way of cutting down on the number of shows they no longer can physically do, or not to the same degree anyway.

They know not as many fans will buy the tickets when they charge such high prices and this is intentional not only for money-making/greed reasons, but is a deliberate choice to hold down the number of fans and hence shows.

They know they will not sell as many tickets, hence fewer shows, which brings them down to a schedule that they can handle physically at this point in their lives/careers.

Money and physical issues interact nicely now for them here to produce what they can handle and still pull in a lot of money. I guess that's smart for them, even if it shortchanges the fans.

dont know if the way i just described a possible scenario did any justice or really explained the point i was trying to make very well.

well, there is always the edit feature, maybe later.

p

I can see where you're coming from - less shows and higher ticket prices, giving the same revenue. but the tours arent actually getting shorter. They're getting longer. The last tour had almost 150 shows. The one before it had something like 117.

They just play less shows per week than they used to. What theyre actually often doing is playing to smaller sized stadiums - but offsetting the loss or revenue that would entail by increasing the average ticket price. That all started in 1999 with the No security tour. Their first arena US tour in decades - but with a stripped down stage and a huge jump in ticket prices.

I dont think for a minute the Stones - or any major touring act - would deliberately try and attract LESS fans to see them.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 21, 2009 15:55

I've read your comments.Very very interesting ones .Unfortunately ,my english wouldn't allow me to let me in.
So here are some pics from the stage & the crowdsad smileyno spare places left )

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:44

To my knowledge there is only one act in the world that has actually gone to smaller stadium and has attracted less people - that would be the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball in the United States. Their NEW stadium is smaller than the old one.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 21, 2009 17:49

skipstone
To my knowledge there is only one act in the world that has actually gone to smaller stadium and has attracted less people - that would be the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball in the United States. Their NEW stadium is smaller than the old one.

Why did they do that?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 21, 2009 21:39

skipstone

Well plenty of baseball teams have built new stadiums that are smaller than the old ones. Mainly becasue they are baseball only stadiums and not multi-use stadiums.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 21, 2009 23:01

SwayStones
I've read your comments.Very very interesting ones .Unfortunately ,my english wouldn't allow me to let me in.
So here are some pics from the stage & the crowdsad smileyno spare places left )

Sway - your English is fine (as I know both from your posts and your e mails) so go ahead and post your thoughts, no worries.

p

Date: July 22, 2009 00:42

skipstone

Bayern Munich did the same, for starters. However, I meant touring acts. Usually the choice of playing smaller venues is an acknowledgement that the show isnt going to be suitable for large arenas or that it simply isnt going to attract as many people.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: July 22, 2009 01:04

Gazza
Bayern Munich did the same

Just to go completely OT... for Olympiastadion the number of visitors for football games has been limited to 63000 during the 90ies due to security laws. And it almost never sold out because of the construction which is nice for concerts but total crap for football games. The new Allianz-Arena holds 69000 and is sold out every game. Bayern Munich raised it's average number of visitors per game from around 50000 to 69000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-22 01:07 by firebird.

Date: July 22, 2009 07:04

I think that claw looks retarded and blocks people from seeing..

I respect U2's ability to draw...but thats about it..

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 22, 2009 07:23

When I see U2 in October, I will be on side of the claw - 75 rows up. I will let you know if it blocks my view

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 22, 2009 07:28

Can The Claw grab Bono and throw him far far away? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 22, 2009 07:34

Had the claw been the new stage for the Rolling Stones we'd all love it and called it the best thing since the Egyptian pyramids.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 22, 2009 07:52

the only way the stones can top this is if they not only build another huge stage, but build portable stadiums and bring those around from city to city along with their portable stages.

p

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: July 22, 2009 08:12

timbernardis
the only way the stones can top this is if they not only build another huge stage, but build portable stadiums and bring those around from city to city along with their portable stages.

p

Don't forget the portable fans

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 22, 2009 08:56

I just wish the Stones could get their guitar act together.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 11:53

Gazza
I know a few, carlo - and I do recall many of them being a bit pissed off that Copacabana was going to be the only show in Brazil. Especially for the fans in Sao Paulo who were hoping they'd play there!

They were great shows though. I'd love to go and see the Stones perform in South America.

One of my ambitions to see the stones in argentina.

me personally dont understand the bashing U2 get on here, they are a decent enough band imho obviously dont compare to the stones in my eyes, but can appreciate them for what they do.

Agree when somebody said about the claw stage, if it was the stones it would be fantastic.

Date: July 22, 2009 14:12

timbernardis

p

or even better, portable toilets.

Here's a better way of "topping" it - dont try.

Concentrate more on the music than the spectacle.

being the greatest rock n roll band in the world has got NOTHING to do with having the most spectacular stage.

Giving people someone out of this world to look at can cover up a multitude of musical sins.

I'd much rather a band is remembered for how they sound rather than how weird and wonderful an inaminate lump of metal happens to be.

Date: July 22, 2009 15:56

Most of the press I am seeing about this tour is more about the stage than the music.

With the Stones, the stage has its share of press but the bigger share is about the great music.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:32

MKjan
Most of the press I am seeing about this tour is more about the stage than the music.

With the Stones, the stage has its share of press but the bigger share is about the great music.

I see that as a problem of the press and the fans who keep on dicussing it. I saw them on saturday and since I was inside the ellipse, I didn't pay attention to the stage at all. In fact I only saw it when I was leaving the stadium, since when I was running in, it was all so fast that I was only able to notice where the stage was to run in the right direction smiling smiley During the show I didn't give a damn what was above me.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:49

I was really impressed to see on the videos and pictures my husband made the huge wall of loudspeakers (I'll try to find a close-up picture or video of it )

And also the lightening technicians who were hanging on the void for more than 3 hours....
Each of the Claw's four sides had its own full-size sound system — each powerful enough for an entire arena. There will also be 72 separate woofers.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 22, 2009 17:28

yes, the sound was amazing in berlin, unbelievable good.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 22, 2009 17:35

Gazza
timbernardis

p

or even better, portable toilets.

Here's a better way of "topping" it - dont try.

Concentrate more on the music than the spectacle.

being the greatest rock n roll band in the world has got NOTHING to do with having the most spectacular stage.

Giving people someone out of this world to look at can cover up a multitude of musical sins.

I'd much rather a band is remembered for how they sound rather than how weird and wonderful an inaminate lump of metal happens to be.

Exactly.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 22, 2009 18:03

MKjan

to an extent, although as u2 have only played a few shows so far and all of them in Europe, its a bit hard for the music to get equal attention.

If anything, most reviews of Stones concerts - the positive ones at least - tend to concentrate on the "Christ I cant believe they're STILL performing and that Keith is still alive" angle more than anything else.

Date: July 22, 2009 18:49

Gazza
MKjan

to an extent, although as u2 have only played a few shows so far and all of them in Europe, its a bit hard for the music to get equal attention.

If anything, most reviews of Stones concerts - the positive ones at least - tend to concentrate on the "Christ I cant believe they're STILL performing and that Keith is still alive" angle more than anything else.

I agree Gazza, as the tour progresses, maybe there can be reporting that focuses more on the music. My feeling is that in the US the press will put a lot of attention on the stage because the American mind is hooked on stuff like that.
And yes, it really bugs me to walk out of Madison Square Garden in NY after a great Stones performance, only to see the next days papers talking about "How they still do that at their age", with hardly a mention of the songs and the playing.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 22, 2009 19:41

I've seen the claw in pictures, even in tv reports before the opening show, but once into Camp Nou, a place I know very well, the stage was so huge I could not believe it. On second show I was in a red zone closer to the stage. Then the clawn was even bigger!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 23, 2009 19:19

Just wondering how much Mark Fisher is in involved in the stage design and how much is decided by the band.
He must be the most used and respected stage builder the last 10-20 years.
Bothe Stones, U2, Pink Floyd, Janet Jackson etc. have used him as well he has been used for MTV shows and so on.

By the way ane news if the shows in Amsterdam and Berlin were sold out. That could and indcation if they are going to break Stones earnings.

Posted by: five_strings_G ()
Date: July 23, 2009 20:14

Berlin wasn't ...

Date: July 23, 2009 20:36

that´s really foolish to say berlin wasn´t old out.
there were twice as many people as saw the stones in 2007.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home