Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: U2 360 Degrees stage: Very good!!!!!!!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:11

"As longs as they can put on a great show, nothing else matters."

EXACTLY! And my vote goes to a no-BS stage design and a let the music speak" motto!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:14

Well because the one always seems to have an eye on what the other is doing so there appears to be a bit of trying to upstage the other. Pardon the pun.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:21

The Stones were the first with the big stage sets so no matter what U2 come up with they can't beat that!

Posted by: homerus ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:25

Mark Fisher seems that will have a lot of work to don in the next Stones tour.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:33

i really don't like the stage.

The stones should use the stage from the superbowl. No gimmicks, just the stones

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:57

VoodooLounge13
Problem is, U2 edges the Stones in the age category and no matter what tricks the Stones pull out for the next tour, U2 will ALWAYS have the final say. God how I hate that thought!

...but the bigger truth is that the gift of audio recording will avail the Stones catalog to us into the future, and the U2 catalog will be an embarrassment by comparison. This is why the Stones, if they never toured again, are still more relevant than U2, no matter how many more tours and songs they pollute us with. It's the music.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 2, 2009 00:06

......a U2 show..as good as they are...is NOT a Rolling Stones show....and I loved the tongue stage from the Super Bowl....or they should just bring back the Lotus stage in a modern way.....

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 2, 2009 00:57

I have to admit that I love a big lavish stage with a lot of light effects accompanying the songs but that's not crucial for the quality of the show.I hope The Stones will have another great stage for the next tour but I don't think that they have to go this far.ABB stage was really cool in the sense that it didn't distract from the music.I haven't seen The Stones on any other tour so I can't make comparisons but it seems to me that other stages also had this quality.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 2, 2009 01:29

Stage is a distraction from their crappy new material

Date: July 2, 2009 02:21

Bono thinks the stage is magnificent.

Date: July 2, 2009 02:30

Good, there's one leaving in 10 minutes.

Posted by: Anthony ()
Date: July 2, 2009 03:16

Anyone else want another No Security type stage?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 2, 2009 03:39

I must say those pictures taken during the show look pretty cool. They could use some more people on the floor though...
That Mark Ficher is a lucky guy. He can top himself every couple of years :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: July 2, 2009 07:20

I think this stage looks retarded.. first night reviews are in and apparently there is nothing 360 about it.. if you are behind the drummer you are going to see his back the whole show...

i don't understadn why anyone want a stage like this? It gets in the way with those claws..

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 2, 2009 14:00

Rip This
......a U2 show..as good as they are...is NOT a Rolling Stones show....and I loved the tongue stage from the Super Bowl....or they should just bring back the Lotus stage in a modern way.....

The Knebworth Fair stage was great in it's time, simple but very effective.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 2, 2009 14:08

homerus

This is a very "heavy" provocation for all stones fans and we want the 2010-2012 tour to be a reply.

Speak for yourself. Some of us would prefer that they concentrate on the music MUCH more than being concerned with the spectacle.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: July 2, 2009 14:09

The most important for me is not the stage but...the music. Bruce Springsteen's stage has nothing particular but the show is amazing because the music is good, simply good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-02 14:10 by albop.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 2, 2009 16:01

Seems like the 'claws' would provide some terrible obstructed views, unless they just don't see those seats...which would seem to be a waste of space.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 2, 2009 16:11

Rip This

thumbs up

Thanks for the pictures homerus !
I asked my husband to take a look on it as he's going to see U2 in Paris next saturday.
I am impressed by the stage.Just wanna know if the show will be good .It seems Bono can't "fill" the stage enought .He ain't Jagger .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 2, 2009 18:24

a stage which seriously competes Rolling Stones mammoth stages

..that's what it's come down to? that really sucks

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:40

... I honestly don't care what U2 are doing.

The Stones should just be themselves (so will probably try and compete with U2!!!!).

Personally, it's all about arenas and clubs.

Re: OT: U2 tour 2009, set lists, comments etc
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 2, 2009 22:50

I somehow get one of the messages here: You are complaining that U2 are playing too much of an album they are going out on the road to promote.
I don't have that U2 record (but my wife some of them before), but:
Obviously Bono has more confidence in himself as a performer than Mick to make a lame song incredible.
Obviously the rest of the band have practised those songs more than Keith & co to make lame songs incredible.
Or vice versa: If Mick gets back his confidence to perform any kind of Stones songs (considered to be lame by some) making them incredible (then considered by all) and if Keith and Ronnie (especially) start to practise a bit more then we wil speak again of magnificent shows (with a minmum of warhorses necessary)

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 2, 2009 22:53

i'm no lover of U2 but that stage looks the f*cking nuts

Re: OT: U2 on Suicide Mission (warning: 2009 Set List revealed)
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 3, 2009 00:18

MKjan
deadegad
mtaylor
kovach
mtaylor
It is strange - I have searched the press here in Norway, England, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, CNN and Rolling Stone and nothing about the U2 opening consert except from Bono had dedicated a song to Jacko and that Bono had called some astronauts on the International Space Station via satellite to ask then if they could see Bono himself, where they had laughed and that they could see him licking Bush's ass.

Seems like you haven't gotten the memo yet, Bush is no longer president.
Sure I know Bush is not president anymore.
Even if Bush is not president, Bono still licks everybodys ass - famous or non-famous, popular or non-popular - whoever so he can get attention

"whoever so he can get attention"

In the case of Bush, Bono has said to the effect that he would deal with the devil to help 'get attention' of the world focused on extreme poverty in Africa and elsewhere. The One Campaign does just that without regard to who occupies the White House, No. 10 Downing St., etc..

Kissing Bush's ass, your words and opinion, not mine, was not for Bono's personal self aggrandizement, but rather to bring attention, and actual help to an emergency situation.

Take care.

Poverty has been a very public and widespread issue all the world over. The awareness is already there, and Bono is just stroking his ego, not teaching anything new, just great pr for his inflated self. How does one care about poverty so much while holding on to assets of 500+ million dollars. Why go to villages, and see these kids first hand, and say you care so much, and go back home to his life of excess. Why not show that he cares. Give 490 million away, living off 10 mil can't be that bad. The guy is all about himself, couldn't resist kissing W's ass cause his ego is that bad.

"Poverty has been a very public and widespread issue all the world over. The awareness is already there"

There certainly was awareness, but Bono has undoubtedly put more awareness there, perhaps much, much more.

That's a good thing. Why disparage it?

Bono has been personally generous too with his income, but it takes a lot more than his money.

Only governments,and international agencies, with help from the world wide populace can really help.

Bono's "getting attention" is very helpful in that regard. And George W. Bush was very helpful at Bono's and other's behest especially regarding HIV in Afirca, et.al...

"not teaching anything new"

To the contrary, Bono and the One Campaign have brought attention and new ideas to this emergency. Do a google search.

"Why go to villages, and see these kids first hand, and say you care so much, and go back home to his life of excess."

What he should emigrate to Africa? And if not, he should never get off of the couch and shut Up? That seems to be what you are saying.

That's just petty, small-mindedness.

U2 actually care and have put their time and money where their mouths are.

It I used you criteria and argument style on our beloved Stones we can all imagine how it would look.

Take care.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 3, 2009 01:27

Back from Barcelona today, I saw the Opening Concert last June 30th.
First of all I am not a big fan of U2, I am really love rock and roll that´s all.
It was the first concert, and there´re lots of things they need to improve of course, but the show was impressive and great!!!
Give me some time and I´ll post pictures and my personal review, I liked the show, Jackson, NASA moment connection, Desmond Tutu and Aung San Suu Kyi moments, Bono laser jacket, The incredible stage, Michael Jackson moments and they played seven new songs of the new album.
In my opinion the opening song for the concert, breathe wasn´t appropiate, Get on your boots or Vertigo would be better ones.
At the end of the concert, for me was a great surprise, at the sonf Ultraviolet, Bono lost his voice because in my opinion never stopped of singing.
Remind me Bono to Springsteen, but in the other way, Springsteen never loss his voice, this time Bono had really bad problems starting that song, never say that in a big band, really weird in my opinion.
The end of the concert was weird, after MLK the rythm was falling down, walk on, where the streets have no name, one, they began two times the song, ultraviolet, with or without you and moment of surrender great song, but not a final song for a concert. In these final time, Bono had a hanging microphone which he can hang to it and jump, etc, he never connected with the audience.
Best moment for me with I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight, Larry Mullen started to play a little drums around the stage and the Claw and the stadium looked like a discoteque, The Unforgettable Fire, Magnificent, Angel of Harlem, adn Vertigo.
I am honestly was impressed by the concert, knowing was the first one of the tour, as I said they are going to improve all of that, and they know it. Bono is a great perfomer, charming and amazing!! The band sounds incredible, the whole stage is amazing, the set list was ok, not great, the audience more than 100.000 people amazing!!
Comparing to the Stones? Being objetive, I liked more Stones, but U2, Springseen, AC/DC and for sure others are very self confidents, go STONES!!!
More pics and my personal review tomorrow, I hope,
JordiStones is today at the second show, he´ll tell us and Llargueras of course have to say something, verdad?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: July 3, 2009 01:29

Another thing, I liked the Snow patrol as warming band

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: July 3, 2009 02:25

deadegad
MKjan
deadegad
mtaylor
kovach
mtaylor
It is strange - I have searched the press here in Norway, England, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, CNN and Rolling Stone and nothing about the U2 opening consert except from Bono had dedicated a song to Jacko and that Bono had called some astronauts on the International Space Station via satellite to ask then if they could see Bono himself, where they had laughed and that they could see him licking Bush's ass.

Seems like you haven't gotten the memo yet, Bush is no longer president.
Sure I know Bush is not president anymore.
Even if Bush is not president, Bono still licks everybodys ass - famous or non-famous, popular or non-popular - whoever so he can get attention

"whoever so he can get attention"

In the case of Bush, Bono has said to the effect that he would deal with the devil to help 'get attention' of the world focused on extreme poverty in Africa and elsewhere. The One Campaign does just that without regard to who occupies the White House, No. 10 Downing St., etc..

Kissing Bush's ass, your words and opinion, not mine, was not for Bono's personal self aggrandizement, but rather to bring attention, and actual help to an emergency situation.

Take care.

Poverty has been a very public and widespread issue all the world over. The awareness is already there, and Bono is just stroking his ego, not teaching anything new, just great pr for his inflated self. How does one care about poverty so much while holding on to assets of 500+ million dollars. Why go to villages, and see these kids first hand, and say you care so much, and go back home to his life of excess. Why not show that he cares. Give 490 million away, living off 10 mil can't be that bad. The guy is all about himself, couldn't resist kissing W's ass cause his ego is that bad.

"Poverty has been a very public and widespread issue all the world over. The awareness is already there"

There certainly was awareness, but Bono has undoubtedly put more awareness there, perhaps much, much more.

There was and is plenty of awareness, St. Bono University is putting out more awareness....for Bono.

That's a good thing. Why disparage it?

Because his attachment to these issues is self serving, and not heartfelt. You don't amass and hoard that kind of wealth after visiting 3rd and 4th world countries, dress up in local garb,hold a kid, have the photo splashed around the world and go home to your 5 star life.
Hey Bono: Live simply so others can simply live!!!

Bono has been personally generous too with his income, but it takes a lot more than his money.

How much has he given if he still has 500+ million in the bank, and he took his money out of Ireland for tax relief, and then chastised the Irish government to spend more on poverty when he deprived them of much revenue they could have used towards this end. What % of his wealth did he give that you call him generous?

Only governments,and international agencies, with help from the world wide populace can really help.

Um...er...governments and some agencies are partly responsible for poverty, and Bono, if he were real, has resources to make a real impact...not the blah blah sermons.

Bono's "getting attention" is very helpful in that regard. And George W. Bush was very helpful at Bono's and other's behest especially regarding HIV in Afirca, et.al...

I have a feeling Bush did nothing on account of Bono because he had his own agenda and didn't really listen to anyone for 8 years, save Cheney and Condi.

"not teaching anything new"

To the contrary, Bono and the One Campaign have brought attention and new ideas to this emergency. Do a google search.

Really??, something the schools and universities, and the press, and NGO'S missed, and all that goes on the internet missed, but Bono found???

"Why go to villages, and see these kids first hand, and say you care so much, and go back home to his life of excess."

He should go home and write a check, quietly, no grandstanding, put his money where his mouth is. He could recruit people who have experience from the peace corps, doctors without borders, habitat for humanity,et al and create a project with his money to make sure it gets spent well, and assures results. It would be a hands on effort that could have a huge impact , the work of someone who really cares.

What he should emigrate to Africa? And if not, he should never get off of the couch and shut Up? That seems to be what you are saying.

No never meant he should emigrate, but yeah, he should shut up, and do something for real. I know he has to be in NYC because he has a lawsuit against a neighbor in Manhattan. Seems some smoke from the fireplace bothers his kid, it drifts into his zillion dollar apt. Life is tough.

That's just petty, small-mindedness.

U2 actually care and have put their time and money where their mouths are.

Well I dunno know about the Edge, I know he was doing something in NO, but I also know he is a real estate develepor in Malibu now. Gee.....

It I used you criteria and argument style on our beloved Stones we can all imagine how it would look.

The Stones never paraded like this and they are musicians, and I appreciate their honesty more than Bono's deceit and preaching. imo rock'n'roll is much better served as a "place" to go to get away from preaching politics and saving the world, a "place" to cut loose, and rip.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Take care.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 4, 2009 19:53

??????????????

Date: July 4, 2009 20:11

deadegad
??????????????
I have to admit I was a little sloppy arranging my response deadegad,spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'm in Buenos Aires and time is short, although I should mention this must be the most free and extensive wifi big city I have been to anywhere.

Date: July 5, 2009 16:12

Pictures of the first concert Barcelona, June 30th

Carlitos
Tenerife

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home