Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Brown Sugar
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2023 19:03

treaclefingers
If you were to create a 'stones by numbers' track, as the one to pattern the archetypal stones song...one that all pretenders could try to emulate this would be it.

It has everything just inside of 4 minutes... controversy, debauchery, killer riff, audience call and response (I said yeah I said yeah I said yeah I said...WOOOOO!), and bobby keys.

It's not my favourite track but it's up there.

This is a single that sells an album.

An instant classic indeed!!!! Hard to sit still with this one!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 14, 2023 13:45

Best song version .... smiling smiley

Pepsi softdrink commercials from 1990 and 1998 - [iorr.org] .

Date: August 27, 2023 16:12

Never a frown with golden brown.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2023 02:32

treaclefingers
If you were to create a 'stones by numbers' track, as the one to pattern the archetypal stones song...one that all pretenders could try to emulate this would be it.

It has everything just inside of 4 minutes... controversy, debauchery, killer riff, audience call and response (I said yeah I said yeah I said yeah I said...WOOOOO!), and bobby keys.

It's one of the most excellent examples of what rock'n'roll is. Possibly their best single ever.

And they liked it so much they inverted it (kinda) for Sad Sad Sad.

Date: August 28, 2023 11:51

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

It's one of the most excellent examples of what rock'n'roll is. Possibly their best single ever.

But why did they cut one round of the riff for live performances after 1971?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2023 18:51

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

But why did they cut one round of the riff for live performances after 1971?

There's one performance (Marquee) where Keith goes around twice because Charlie didn't come in so it goes four but they've been playing it three forever.

Maybe just to get right to it? Seems odd, especially since they've been dragging it on longer and longer with each tour.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 2, 2023 06:47

Rock N Roll doesn't get much better. I hope they resurrect the song if they tour it is a fantatic song.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 02:27

Made #1 on this list of 20 top songs recorded in Muscle Shoals

20 top Muscle Shoals songs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 05:49 by snoopy2.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 5, 2023 15:19

snoopy2

Nice! That's a tough competition there, a lot to choose from... Cannot disagree, though. Personally I would have put Dylan's "I Believe In You" at least into 'other essentials' list. One of Bob's greatest recordings I think. Probably even his strongest vocal performance ever.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-05 15:20 by Doxa.

Date: September 5, 2023 16:56

Doxa
snoopy2

Nice! That's a tough competition there, a lot to choose from... Cannot disagree, though. Personally I would have put Dylan's "I Believe In You" at least into 'other essentials' list. One of Bob's greatest recordings I think. Probably even his strongest vocal performance ever.

- Doxa

The whole album is excellently recorded and mixed.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 10, 2023 14:49

is mick taylor even on this track? also,what guitar is richards using telecaster? does'nt sound like a gibson.

Date: September 10, 2023 15:05

Mick Taylor is only on the live versions -well- "only".

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 20:10

It is my favorite song.

Date: December 6, 2023 14:51

I just read that when they played it at Altamont, it was Mick Taylor who suggested it. Never knew that.

Posted by: DGee ()
Date: December 10, 2023 00:10

I agree, no live version ever matched the chugging, gritty, funky, galloping roll of the studio version. It always seemed too fast in live versions. However sped up it might still be, my favorite live version is when it was the show opener (around '72 or '73). The Robert Frank film (C'sucker Blues) captures that. The best audio version of that is on a bootleg from (what I was told was) the Australian tour of that time, titled "Happy Birthday Nicky." Must have come directly off the sound board because the quality was very good for a boot. The energy is absolutely amazing. The band comes at you like a bullet train head-on and you can't help but move!

Date: December 10, 2023 00:24

Palace Revolution 2000
I just read that when they played it at Altamont, it was Mick Taylor who suggested it. Never knew that.

Listen to Essen'70. Taylor understood what playing it live was all about. Just like the rest of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-10 00:28 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home