Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Brown Sugar
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 13, 2009 17:25

loog droog
Why does Jimmy Miller get "Produced by" credit when he wasn't even at the Muscle Shoals session?

And why no mention of the version they cut with Eric Clapton?

no mention where?

and the track as recorded at Muscle Shoals was far from complete. That's why there are those alternate versions. It wasn't "finished" until almost 2 years later, in the typical Stones method at the time. So Jimmy Miller certainly had the opportunity to produce later sessions on the song, even if he wasn't at the original tracking session.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 13, 2009 19:25

That's all Charlie said - that Jimmy Miller wasn't there when they cut it. He didn't imply anything else. I got the impression he was amazed that they were even able to get anything on tape ha ha.

I get that Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack were bigger singles etc I just think Brown Sugar is actually a better song - albeit slightly - than those. It's not about what sold more or anything, I just think Brown Sugar is their most immediate song. For instance, Satisfaction comes on the radio, people change the station. Jumpin' Jack comes on the radio, some people change the station. Brown Sugar comes on, people turn the radio up. That's been my experience.

I don't see they mystery in Jumpin' Jack when it's been talked about every time a guitar magazine interviews Keith whenever the Stones are about to go on the road; it's always the same story.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2009 01:33

All three of those songs are timeless - I never turn the radio off on Satisfaction the riff STILL hooks me every time.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 14, 2009 02:42

Of course it's been Clapton on the BS "Birthday" version!
It's common knowledge for many years! And btw. -Clapton mentioned it himself in his Autobio.

Mick told about the two versions and in my opinion he's absolutely right with their choice.

The E.C. version is great and hits you at the first listening.
But - similar to T. Dice - after some time the original studio version sneaks right into you and grabs you by the b . . . !
And you never get tired of those great classic Stones singles!

Posted by: squando ()
Date: March 14, 2009 02:43

"For instance, Satisfaction comes on the radio, people change the station"

??

No people I know.

Date: March 14, 2009 03:04

Hell, I change it when it comes on. There's a lot of Stones songs that I'd rather not listen to on the radio anymore - because it's the same songs all the time. How many times can one hear JJF, SFTD, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk, Angie, Beast Of Burden, Miss You and Start Me Up? I'd prefer not to hear them! I'd rather hear something else. I've heard them enough! I still get a kick out of Brown Sugar though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2009 03:07

Arrrrrr-so that's why you call yourself skipstone !!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2009 11:57

Ha ha! Yeah, I do like the skip button!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 14, 2009 14:25

It's one of the songs that's bigger popularity-wise than any of the band members.
It's one of the tunes that this band will be remembered for, and deservedly so (others of that kind being for example: Jumpin Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women,etc.)

Still, it's not my all-time favourite of the Stones. They have made even better tunes that are somehow less popular.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2010 14:31

billwebster
Still, it's not my all-time favourite of the Stones. They have made even better tunes that are somehow less popular.

I would agree. Maybe because it's been played to death on the radio, I don't get quite as big a charge out of Brown Sugar as I do from some of their other stuff from Sticky Fingers (like CYHMK, for example). Also, I would consider JJF or HTW as ultimately being greater classics than BS. Partly because they came before it and hence were fresher and more original.

But nonetheless, BS is an undeniable tour-de-force, showcasing the Stones magic.

Drew

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 12, 2010 16:11

I never and I mean never tire of the opening chords. For my money - the best intro of all time. Hard to believe a Stones' fan doesn't care for this one. It's like saying - I like Shakespeare, just not his plays.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2010 17:29

Shawn20
I never and I mean never tire of the opening chords. For my money - the best intro of all time. Hard to believe a Stones' fan doesn't care for this one. It's like saying - I like Shakespeare, just not his plays.

Not sure if you're referring to my post. If you are, you obviously didn't read it carefully.

Drew

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: September 12, 2010 18:20

The MEZ prefers Brown sugar over JJF. Both great tunes obviously! MEZ

Date: September 12, 2010 19:14

I'm going to work on making a compilation based on the meanness of their songs. JJF, SFM and Brown Sugar are certainly the top contenders of the list.

"Brown Sugar" here's some interesting discussion:
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 12, 2010 13:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-13 10:32 by Phil Good.

Date: September 17, 2010 21:16

Has anyone seen this? I don't think I've ever heard the second one like this:

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 17, 2010 22:21

is mick taylor on this track? i hear two electric and one acoustic which i thought were all k.richards

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 17, 2010 23:18

taylor doesn't play the answering electric guitar during the intro? But it's true that keith plays the dominant role throughout the track.

as for "JJF" and "HTW"'s precedence--not by much. "Brown Sugar" was played at Altamont. They just dithered over the mix for 2 years, I guess knowing that they had a classic on their hands and wanting to get it perfect.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:18

Is Keith's acoustic in open G too? That and his backing vocals are brilliant, that's why to me no live version comes close to the studio one.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 01:40

stones78
Is Keith's acoustic in open G too? That and his backing vocals are brilliant, that's why to me no live version comes close to the studio one.

Yes, Keith's backing vocals are great on the studio track. His high register was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:15

I don't see anybody mentioning Bobby's sax solo - possibly the greatest sax solo in popular music. Maybe second to Jr. Walker & the All-Stars "Shotgun".

Posted by: René ()
Date: November 10, 2010 16:17

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-14 13:59 by René.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: March 5, 2013 21:38

Can you believe the Maysle's followed the band around for a month but managed not to be there at Muscle Shoals when they tracked "Brown Sugar"? Every time I watch that sequence ("Wild Horses" & "You Gotta Move") shot at Muscle Shoals in "Gimme Shelter" I get really pissed off. Would have loved to watch them cut "Brown Sugar." But then again, the footage is of them listening to stuff, not actually recording it. Why? Is it because they were there illegally? What a missed opportunity....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 5, 2013 21:43

cc
taylor doesn't play the answering electric guitar during the intro? But it's true that keith plays the dominant role throughout the track.

as for "JJF" and "HTW"'s precedence--not by much. "Brown Sugar" was played at Altamont. They just dithered over the mix for 2 years, I guess knowing that they had a classic on their hands and wanting to get it perfect.

Probably also holding it back whilst waiting to untangle themselves from Decca and ABKCO.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 5, 2013 22:28

Recording The Rolling Stones "Brown Sugar Sessions";

[www.prosoundweb.com]

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 6, 2013 08:13

paulywaul
squando
Maybe the greatest song of all time.

Jagger wrote an absolute diamond with this one - he never even claims credit for the G tuning riff etc - most believe it's Keith.

So Mick here is both humble and brilliant....

I'd love to know the full history of this song, now that you mention the open-g tuning element. It's acknowledged that Mick wrote it, but then Keith apparently worked on it and tweaked it. I wonder if that included transposing it from standard tuning into open-g, and/or whatever else.

Any buffs out there know the fiull history of this song, who did what to it to get it into the final form ?

tweaked...hmmm...

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 6, 2013 08:24

early version before keith got his hands on it... lacking the famous keith intro...

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: March 6, 2013 14:40

The key diff with BS versus jjf, gs, and to some degree the other warhorses is that this is the sound of the band standing in the same room playing at the same time -shit hot from the road. Most of the others were layered together piece by piece in the studio.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: March 6, 2013 16:44

What a great track! Absolute classic. Open G tuning. Anyone with a guitar and an index finger can learn how to play it in 10 minutes. Never gets old. Highlight of show when crowd sings along ya ya ya wooo! I have to listen to it now.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2013 18:07

theimposter
I don't see anybody mentioning Bobby's sax solo - possibly the greatest sax solo in popular music. Maybe second to Jr. Walker & the All-Stars "Shotgun".

Yes, great sax!

Other good ones:

Song On The Radio - Al Stewart
Turn The Page - Bob Seger (Alto Reed AKA Tommy Cardinal)
Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
Whatever Gets You Thru The Night - John Lennon (BOBBY KEYES)

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home