Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Brown Sugar
Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: March 9, 2013 01:34

Poor sound quality, best version ever, imo. Passion and fire.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 9, 2013 02:49

"Did Mick or Keith write the Brown Sugar Riff?" is becoming the next "Taylor Vs. Wood".

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2013 02:53

ryanpow
"Did Mick or Keith write the Brown Sugar Riff?" is becoming the next "Taylor Vs. Wood".

I thought even Keith said that Mick wrote it all on his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 02:54 by Silver Dagger.

Date: March 9, 2013 02:59

Silver Dagger
ryanpow

I thought even Keith said that Mick wrote it all on his own.

yeah, I think he does say that in Life. But the discussion is becoming what exactly constitutes the riff and what did Keith add to it. he probably knows best though.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2013 03:32

He says a lot of things life, much of it not to be taken too seriously. grinning smiley

His claim on the sleeve about remembering it all being the first bump in the road.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 9, 2013 06:57

DandelionPowderman
A D in Brown Sugar? Where??

My mistake about the key.

I was a whole step out.

The home key should be C.

The main riff should be Eb, C, Ab, Bb, C

and the song should be (verse) C, F, C, Bb, C, (chorus) G, C, G, C

I've gone back over my previous posts and edited them and corrected them.

Anyway, everything else I said still stands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 08:19 by howled.

Date: March 9, 2013 08:20

ryanpow

Brian and Bill wrote the Brown Sugar riff in 1968 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 9, 2013 08:32

howled
ryanpow

Brian and Bill wrote the Brown Sugar riff in 1968 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Brown Sugar is Gomper backwards.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 9, 2013 11:57

It was inspired by the plants in Keiths garden. Mick and Keith used to watch Keiths gardener and laugh as he cluelessly plocked opium for the boys.

Date: March 9, 2013 12:04

VT22

This and the 1970 version ends the debate of who plays the Brown Sugar riff. There never was one, I know, but also there can only be one Keith. This is some of Keiths best work. What is it with that guitar sound?! Strings of diamond and hand of steel. Listen to the perfect, 100% perfect timing with that little thump after the opening riff on the high G chord. In that sense its Keiths riff, the way he played it back then tastes real good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 12:05 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: March 9, 2013 12:14

I love the way Mick sang it with that haunted desperate voice in 69/70 but the best vocal is:

and the 1975 versions starting with the best the flatbed, and all 1975ers with Billys excellent and very fitting and completely underrated backup. Last time this song really meant something. This is Mardi Grass Stones style. Awesome kinky genderbending opiatic afro brothel pirate rock.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 9, 2013 12:18

Redhotcarpet

This and the 1970 version ends the debate of who plays the Brown Sugar riff. There never was one, I know, but also there can only be one Keith. This is some of Keiths best work. What is it with that guitar sound?! Strings of diamond and hand of steel. Listen to the perfect, 100% perfect timing with that little thump after the opening riff on the high G chord. In that sense its Keiths riff, the way he played it back then tastes real good.

YES!

Keith plays the intro properly - he stopped doing it like that in later years.

They also had the tempo right on this one and not the go fast version they did later.

Mick is funny on this video.

He sounds like someone doing a parody of himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 12:21 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: March 9, 2013 13:31

howled
"I´ve written riffs that people assume are Keith´s. That was the first one I did. I´ve done many since." Mick Jagger 1994
[www.timeisonourside.com]

The very start opening intro pre riff might be a Keith intro add-on, on the recorded version.

Some people, especially non guitar players might not be able to hear or understand what I'm trying to explain, which is fair enough.

Guitar players can easily check what I'm saying by watching Mick's fingers and also by playing along with Mick in the Ike and Tina Turner clip.

The main Brown Sugar riff is in the Mick, Ike and Tina Turner video (open G tuning Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C hope I got the key right) but Mick varies it a bit with 2 Eb,C changes instead of one (Eb,C,Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C) but the next time through the riff, it's the usual Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C.

Mick is playing the riff in a shorter beat way, a more hurried way, that's all.

It's still the Brown Sugar main riff that leads into the verse.

The Stones arrange things in a final way as the song get's recorded or is ready to record.

It's only a casual showing of the song to Ike and Tina but the opening riff, verse (get's changed a bit) and chorus are all there.

Mick also changed the verse to Gold Coast etc etc later on (maybe in the studio) as often happens with Stones songs as they get polished for the final recording.

Mick wrote the riff and the whole song, even Keith says so in his book.

Mesmerizing. I don't care whether Keith wrote the riffs and the hooks. I think Charlie once said that Mick played one of the first versions of Sympathy for him at his house and it was fantastic. The essence of Brown Sugar is there already.

Date: March 9, 2013 13:56

GravityBoy

Brown Sugar is Gomper backwards.

grinning smiley

Date: March 9, 2013 14:28

If I was Mick and Keith, I would have put only Brian and Bill on the credits for Gomper, and let them take the blame for it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 9, 2013 15:21

howled
If I was Mick and Keith, I would have put only Brian and Bill on the credits for Gomper, and let them take the blame for it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gomper is ace.

Date: March 9, 2013 18:35

His Majesty
howled

Gomper is ace.

thumbs up DOnt know why some fans have to say Gomper is bad, when it isnt.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 9, 2013 19:50

GravityBoy

They also had the tempo right on this one and not the go fast version they did later.

When they started playing BS fast it lost all its appeal for me, Mick rushing the words and destroying the rhythm. The flatbed truck performance being the perfect example.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-09 20:00 by drewmaster.

Date: March 9, 2013 19:53

howled
DandelionPowderman
A D in Brown Sugar? Where??

My mistake about the key.

I was a whole step out.

The home key should be C.

The main riff should be Eb, C, Ab, Bb, C

and the song should be (verse) C, F, C, Bb, C, (chorus) G, C, G, C

I've gone back over my previous posts and edited them and corrected them.

Anyway, everything else I said still stands.

No worries, it´s an easy mistake to make - as it would be D on the 5th fret in standard tuning smileys with beer

Date: March 9, 2013 19:56

For a long time, I mistook Gomper for ...See What Happens, and bashed it...

I take that back. It is indeed a mesmerizing tune, filled with emotions and a very, very good riff. The melody line is ace, too.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 9, 2013 20:02

Rutger
howled
"I´ve written riffs that people assume are Keith´s. That was the first one I did. I´ve done many since." Mick Jagger 1994
[www.timeisonourside.com]

The very start opening intro pre riff might be a Keith intro add-on, on the recorded version.

Some people, especially non guitar players might not be able to hear or understand what I'm trying to explain, which is fair enough.

Guitar players can easily check what I'm saying by watching Mick's fingers and also by playing along with Mick in the Ike and Tina Turner clip.

The main Brown Sugar riff is in the Mick, Ike and Tina Turner video (open G tuning Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C hope I got the key right) but Mick varies it a bit with 2 Eb,C changes instead of one (Eb,C,Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C) but the next time through the riff, it's the usual Eb,C,Ab,Bb,C.

Mick is playing the riff in a shorter beat way, a more hurried way, that's all.

It's still the Brown Sugar main riff that leads into the verse.

The Stones arrange things in a final way as the song get's recorded or is ready to record.

It's only a casual showing of the song to Ike and Tina but the opening riff, verse (get's changed a bit) and chorus are all there.

Mick also changed the verse to Gold Coast etc etc later on (maybe in the studio) as often happens with Stones songs as they get polished for the final recording.

Mick wrote the riff and the whole song, even Keith says so in his book.

Mesmerizing. I don't care whether Keith wrote the riffs and the hooks. I think Charlie once said that Mick played one of the first versions of Sympathy for him at his house and it was fantastic. The essence of Brown Sugar is there already.

Yes, even though he is just casually playing for Ike and Tina, his genius is a marvel to behold.

Drew

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: March 10, 2013 00:13

Redhotcarpet
VT22

Agreed. And don't forget Taylor.They played Ampegs here.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 10, 2013 03:35

Why the hate for Gomper?

Date: March 10, 2013 06:58

71Tele
Why the hate for Gomper?

I only heard it for the first time because it was mentioned in this thread.

I knew 2,000 Light Years and She's A Rainbow though, but I havn't listened to the Satanic Majesties album.

I don't hate Gomper, it just sounds very Sitar 60s and goes on too long for me.

I'm not really into that Sitar Flower stuff to be honest.

Date: March 10, 2013 09:21

Gomper just sounds like something that the Beatles could do better.

Date: March 10, 2013 14:56

howled
71Tele
Why the hate for Gomper?

I knew 2,000 Light Years and She's A Rainbow though, but I havn't listened to the Satanic Majesties album.

There isn't a sitar on Gomper. grinning smiley

Date: March 10, 2013 15:03

ryanpow
Gomper just sounds like something that the Beatles could do better.

The Inner Light.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 10, 2013 15:14

His Majesty
howled
71Tele
Why the hate for Gomper?

There isn't a sitar on Gomper. grinning smiley

No, but it sounds as if a sitar would feel right at home there.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 10, 2013 15:19

71Tele
Why the hate for Gomper?

Same reason as always, some people just love to hate.

Date: March 10, 2013 15:19

Green Lady
No, but it sounds as if a sitar would feel right at home there.

That can be the case for almost anything. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home