Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Any Love Here for Duane Allman?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:24

I saw the Allmans at the Fillmore East in the early 70's and they were amazing Duane was probably the best american guitar player of that era.
Just finished listening to Layla and his playing is so fluid and emotional that imho he outplays Eric Clapton by a long shot, Anyway does anyone else here likes him?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: OT:Any Love Here for Duane Allman?
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:41

ROPENI
I saw the Allmans at the Fillmore East in the early 70's and they were amazing Duane was probably the best american guitar player of that era.
Just finished listening to Layla and his playing is so fluid and emotional that imho he outplays Eric Clapton by a long shot, Anyway does anyone else here likes him?

I also believe that his playing soared much higher than Claptons, maybe his heart was more attached to it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:48

Since I live less than an hour from Macon, ya know I'm a big fan.

My first concert ever was ABB, however, it was 1975 (Betts was hot that night, but no Duane in sight).

I've visited his (and Berry's) grave several times and have talked with Berry's sister. She keeps the graves clean and works hard to preserve Rose Hill Cemetary. BTW, Elizabeth Reed's grave is there too.

[rosehillcemetery.org]

Haynes and young Trucks are pretty damn good too.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-18 22:28 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:54

Duane was a genius and this is the best live album ever made:

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:56

I agree on both accounts there. He died before I was born, but his legend lives on!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 18, 2009 21:25

Hey I saw the Hour Glass out here in Los Angeles back in the 60's.

Duane made an impression on me & ny buddies that night! we all talked about the "HOT" guitarist... sorely missed...

MLC

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 18, 2009 21:29

duane was the bomb....derek is the second-coming, though.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: February 18, 2009 21:46

The voice of God sounds like a bottle-neck slide and a Gibson-SG in the hands of Duane Allman.

As good as that band is today with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks, I can't even imagine how great it must have been to witness those Fillmore East shows. Probably more than I could handle.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 18, 2009 23:31

Duane was very special-- I can't praise him enough. He had the technique, but he was also one of those precious few that could take human experience and emotion and just transform it into sound. You can learn technique, but you can't learn the heart and inspiration it takes to play like that guy. Personally, I view his music as some evidence that there is a God.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: February 18, 2009 23:40

What a wonderful thing to say, Texas Fan.

Alleluia.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 18, 2009 23:58

he's not to be compared w/ Eric. just different. I'm very glad they did that Derek Dominos project, though!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: February 19, 2009 00:21

Big fan of Duane Allman here.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 19, 2009 00:27

Amused
he's not to be compared w/ Eric. just different. I'm very glad they did that Derek Dominos project, though!

Well, at Least on "Layla" imo he outplays Eric,Not to knock Clapton, afterall he is God,but then Duane was Jesus.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2009 00:31

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't go to see the Hour Glass in LA...probably because lack of transport at my tender age and constant lies to my parents about "going to the library."

When I first came to know Lynyrd Skynyrd in early 1973 Ronnie was quick to let me know I knew nothing if I didn't revere Duane. He looked up to him SO much.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: February 19, 2009 02:27

Duane truly is one of the legendary slide players...perhaps the best. Like other's have said here, there is just so much emotion in his playing...he could really make that guitar weep.

I was just listening to Ildelwild South last night and thinking of what beauty was coming through the speakers to me.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 19, 2009 02:41

Skydog had the magic that makes a legend. I was just listening to some early ABB when I saw the thread.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 19, 2009 03:31

I never saw Duane....I was too young, but I did see the ABB in 1975 (like Elmo) and many times since. I've been a spectator on-stage for a couple of Allman Brothers shows in recent months.....I was on-stage when they played with John Paul Jones back in December. Seriously, they started at 2:00 in the morning and ended at 4:20am...they played Dazed And Confused......I can't make this sh!t up here's a link.

[www.xmasjam.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-19 18:59 by Lukester.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 20, 2009 05:03

What's not to like. The man was an incredibly intuitive player. He brought out so much emotion from his guitar, and his soaring and weeping slid runs were legendary. I love the live version of Sould Serenade, he is just stunning on that!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 20, 2009 05:14

check out his work on some tracks from john hammond's "southern fried" album. duane flew up on his own dollar to record with john, so it goes...

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: February 20, 2009 06:02

Too bad it never happened, but the ULTIMATE Stones guest spot would have been Duane Allman playing on Love in Vain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home