Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 205
Re: Paint It, Black (Live 1970) by Eric Burdon & War
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:47

Very nice.
The quality is top and i always liked EB & War

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:06

Thanks for sharing- "A Great Funk Jam by Eric Burdon & War".

Eric Burdon and The Animals "Paint It' Black in Monterey;

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:18

Here is the studio version of Paint It, Black that Eric Burdon and The Animals recorded for their 1967 album Winds Of Change.

Date: November 18, 2013 01:26

Here is the BBC television version as performed by Eric Burdon and The Animals in 1967.

Date: November 18, 2013 08:23

Stones fans in the Netherlands really seem to love the song Paint It, Black. The original Stones version was reissued in 1990 and it went to #1 on the charts there just as in 1966, whereas the reissue only went as high as #61 in the UK.

Also, in 1971 the studio cover version by Eric Burdon & War (from the album The Black Man's Burdon) made it to #31 on the Ducth charts, the only country where the single made a chart appearance.

Is Paint It, Black the favorite Stones song for fans in the Netherlands?

Here is the full 13-minutes-plus album version by Eric Burdon & War:

Hmm, aahhhh
I see a red door and I want to paint it black
No colors in my life, you better turn them black
I see them walking by dressed in their colorful clothes
My happiness de?
No more will my grey sea turn a deeper blue
I cannot foresee this thing happening to you
No

I see people walking by dressed their summer clothes
I see them strolling by, my happiness ?
Turn it black
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
I said I know baby
Everything is black I know
Since you been gone
Eveything is black before my eyes
Baby eh
Everything is black I know
Turn to me
And help me see again baby
Help me walk once more
And help me talk again, walk again
Stand up like a man baby
Since you been gone, gone
There is no color in my life baby
Its turning so very very ? black

Humph, I walk down the street
And I see a line of cars
Maybe blue, maybe brown, maybe green
But their turning black
Before my very eyes
And you could not know
What its like when your whole world is black
When everything you see and touch
Turns so very very black hmm
Oh baby now
I need you by my side
Bring some color into my life
Once again
I even tripped down and fell
Didn't see no colors anymore baby
Bad, bad scene
And I have to tell you baby
No more will my grey sea go turn a deeper blue
I cannot foresee this thing ever happening to you
No

I see people walking by me
They're all going in different directions
I see them strolling by and my heart splinters like a flame
Turning black baby
Turning black I know
Everything
Since you've been gone is turning black, turning black, turning black, turning black, turning black
Yeah yeah yeah yeah, baby
Oh lord, oh babe, whoa lord, help me see again, baby
Help me walk, talk, walk stand up like a man I know
Need you standing by my side
Because I'm blind and I cannot see
Color blind
I'm color blind
Paint everything so black
Go ahead and paint it black baby
Everyhing is black black, black, its turning black I know
Need some color in my life...

Date: November 18, 2013 18:02

Is Paint It' Black the favorite Stones song for fans in The Netherlands?

Paint It' Black is the music I grew up as a teenager in The Sixties but as well; Tell Me -Route 66 -Walking The Dog -Not Fade Away -It's All Over Now -The Last Time -Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow? and many others, it was all about listening to singles at friends places and listening to Pirate Radio Stations and Radio Luxembourg and trying to get the singles at the time.
I think that this Classic Rock song can be find in a lot of Top Charts as well others like Satisfaction. I myself don't care about the Top Charts but for sure Paint It' Black is one of my favorites.thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 18, 2013 18:24

glad for this thread as Ive always wondered how Eric Burdon got together with War in the first place?

always liked the odd hit Spill The Wine..
I had a really good album, Sun Secrets by The Eric Burdon Band, but no War members on that..don't know what happened to that LP..

Date: November 18, 2013 19:07

duke richardson
glad for this thread as Ive always wondered how Eric Burdon got together with War in the first place?

I had a really good album, Sun Secrets by The Eric Burdon Band, but no War members on that..don't know what happened to that LP..

I think Eric Burdon moved to Frisco in 69 and formed "War".

Sun Secrets is a great album-Medley When I was Young

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 18, 2013 19:10

Lee Oskar on harmonica, cool. Does Mick still use this brand?

Gonna see Eric tomorrow!

From his latest CD:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 19:13 by TooTough.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 18, 2013 19:24

runaway
duke richardson

Eric Burdon formed War?

Date: November 18, 2013 19:39

duke richardson
runaway
duke richardson

Eric Burdon formed War?

Excuse me;

When Burdon lived in 1969 in San Francisco, he met the Danish harmonica player Lee Oskar. Together they joined the Californian funk rock band The Nightshift. They were the only 'white' members in more 'black' band, which was renamed Eric Burdon and War

OT: 'The Popcorn Song'
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:23

Stumbled across this recording whilst reading-up on the 'dance-music' genre on Wikipedia. It's considered by some to be the first 'dance' track. I don't know about that, but it sounds so totally bloody different to anything else recorded in 1969! Anyway, I knew the songs' key melody already, but wouldn't have been able to put a name to the tune. I actually find it a little hard to believe that it was recorded so long ago. Totally out of step with the 'rock world' of '69. Just think: Woodstock, Altamont... and this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 07:27 by Big Al.

Re: OT: 'The Popcorn Song'
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:57

We used to call "Awaken" by Yes "The Cheeseburger Song". During the mega Yes tour, where they had double instrumentation, a buddy & I got really drunk & went to the show. We decided during "Awaken" that we could've walked out of the arena, went to blocks to the local burger emporium (Dick's Drive In), sat down, had a cheeseburger, walked back to the arena & they still would've been playing the same song!grinning smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:22

Awesome song, but the one you posted is not the original. It was first made by Gershon Kingsley in an all-electronic version, on an album called Music To Moog By. So you are perhaps even more right in that it's very different from most music in 1969. I believe the Moog synth came out around that time which basically started the electronic pop music genre.

I first heard the tune in an 80s chiptune version, and to me, this has always been a computer- and synthesiser-geek song. There are tons of remixes of it. But I love the version you posted -- it has a lovely organ sound.

The most famous Popcorn version is probably the one by Hot Butter, which has a bit of a disco feel:

Edit: I found a "better" video of it, with this dance. This could fit on any list of things making fun of "white people"...

Come to think of it -- during a friend's bachelor party we had a boom box with about 100 versions of Popcorn and listened to it all day. What a relief it was to hear Deep Purple's Fireball after that!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 13:26 by LieB.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:30

There were quite a few light entertainment electronica type records etc around that time.

Big Al
Stumbled across this recording whilst reading-up on the 'dance-music' genre on Wikipedia. It's considered by some to be the first 'dance' track. I don't know about that...

Definitely not. There's loads of stuff from years earlier that could be considered as dance music.

Like the music this Dutch duo were creating...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 13:38 by His Majesty.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 17, 2013 17:46

WIKI
"Popcorn" is an early electronic pop instrumental, composed by Gershon Kingsley in 1969 and first appearing on his album Music to Moog By.
The same year it was released and recorded at Audio Fidelity Records label in New York City. The composition received its title during a meeting between Kingsley and Audio Fidelity; Kingsley indicated the track did not have a title and someone suggested "Popcorn", with 'Pop' standing for pop music and 'corn' for kitsch.[1]
In 1972, Hot Butter's rerecording was a huge hit in many countries. That version is by far the best known, even more than the original. "Popcorn" has since been covered by a great number of artists.

Did not know it was a song from '69......what I know it was a giant hit in Holland back in '72 I don't remember how long it stays on number one it must be weeks.......you could hear the song everywhere on the streets, shops and disco's

Charts
Chart (1972-1973) Peak position
Australia (Go-Set National Top 40)[5] 1
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[6] 10
Canada (MOR Playlist)[7] 2
Canada (RPM 100 Singles)[8] 15
Finland (Suomen virallinen lista) 1
France (SNEP)[9] 1
Germany (Media Control AG)[10] 1
Ireland (IRMA)[11] 8
Italy (FIMI)[12] 19
Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[13] 1
Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)[14] 12
Norway (VG-lista)[15] 1
South Africa (Springbok Radio)[16] 13
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[17] 1
UK Singles (Official Charts Company)[18] 5
US Billboard Hot 100[19] 9
US Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary[19] 4

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 17, 2013 18:50

I was born in 79, yet this tune is so familiar to me. Obviously not from the original or the 72 versions. I think there was some ZX Spectrum game that had it, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2013 19:04

LieB
Awesome song, but the one you posted is not the original. It was first made by Gershon Kingsley in an all-electronic version, on an album called Music To Moog By. So you are perhaps even more right in that it's very different from most music in 1969. I believe the Moog synth came out around that time which basically started the electronic pop music genre.

George Harrison bought a Moog at that time as well and introduced that to the Abbey Road sessions.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:46

I believe Florence Ballard is the leadsinger of this song or it is Mary Wilson, but for sure it is not Diana Ross.

Date: November 18, 2013 00:32

Popcorn can be such fun, especially after a few drinks....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:55

grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 18, 2013 02:03

Anyone else tried to play it by clicking their tongue or knocking on their head while changing the opening of their mouth?

Date: November 18, 2013 05:08

I was just finally getting around to listening to the clip posted by the OP. Two things struck me about the first 2 minutes of the track. For some reason, those fast cutting keyboard notes remind me of the rhythms of later work by Pete Townshend and The Who--perhaps he was influenced by The Popcorn Song?

The second thing was that the riff that this track breaks into at 1:52 and sustains until 3:18 is very familiar, though it threw me off for a few seconds because it's being played in "Telstar" rhythms. But it's the melody from the instrumental Apache, first released in 1961 by Jørgen Ingmann, a guitar instrumental that also sounded a bit ahead of its time.

EDIT: Being from the U.S., I'm only familiar with the Jørgen Ingmann version, which was a #2 hit here, but the original was a #1 UK hit for The Shadows in 1960.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 05:15 by stonehearted.

Best version of MISS YOU live
Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:06

This is my favorite version of miss you :

Please, listen to it carefully: it is wonderful, a real gem.

The images come from the 78' tour but the soundtrack is from the first show in the Madison Square Garden in 1981.

I know it because I have recorded this version of miss you (on a tape) from a french radio the day after the show (in 1981). I frequently listened to it (I know this version by heart). Now the tape is lost...

I love everything : the grooving bass and piano, the guitars, Mick's singing.
I miss Bill and Ian Stewart.

Re: Best version of MISS YOU live
Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:16

soundtrack is from 1978 tour.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:33

marko
soundtrack is from 1978 tour.

It means that the french radio were wrong (it was broadcasted the morning of the show). Are you sure it was 1978 and not 1981 ?

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:43

Definitely 1978

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 17, 2013 15:57

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 17, 2013 16:17

The 1978 versions are great after that I wish they would have shelved it in favor other songs but it is a crowd pleaser I think its the fans on this board that are tired of it.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 17, 2013 16:26

I like the really long San Diego '98 version the best, the 89/90 versions are my least favourites, too short and rushed

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 205

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home