Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New Let It Bleed Book
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2008 22:00

THE MELBOURNE AGE - 27 November 2008

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: November 26, 2008 22:36

Now THAT's what I call a collector's item.

Posted by: erussell ()
Date: November 30, 2008 23:46

I am the author of LET IT BLEED and feel I just should chime in here about a few things. People are of course welcome to their opinions, but following is some information, most of it not from me, and it is factual, which a lot written here is not.

First, the book took six years to do. It is not in any way thrown together. It is much deeper and more involved than most Genesis books. As for pricing, my sense is that it was comparable to Genesis pricing, but was in fact better value for the reasons that follow. It has considerably more pages, hence more photography over 80% never published before, it is a larger size, and it is overall better quality throughout, design and production. For that last comment, since it could clearly be prejudiced, I refer you to the comments below, including Dominique Tarle's.

DOMINIQUE TARLE: "I have never seen anything like it before and I believe it is a work of art . And it is certainly the only book on the Rolling Stones that I'd consider buying." (He did.)

CUSTOMER: "I must have around 150 books about the Stones, quite apart from the now Six Limited Editions. Your book on the Rolling Stones is the best ever. Congratulations and many thanks."

RICH HAVERS (author):
"I have just got a copy of Ethan Russell's book and it is truly amazing. It is a work of art. It is without question one of the best books not just about the Stones but also about rock and roll. His photography is sensational; his research meticulous, and the sheer size of the book grabs you and envelops you in its grand sweep. Dominic's (Tarle's) book ( Exile, Genesis Publications, sold out) is brilliant, but I have to say that Ethan's Let It Bleed is actually even better."

For a complete listing of comments, you can go to my site:

[www.ethanrussell.com]

And, finally, to answer one other question, it took 39 years because a) I was going a lot of other things and b) this book is more than simply the 1969 tour, as anyone who has it can attest, and that includes having a commentary by all of the participants about how they felt about the tour, its tragic ending, what it was like to be there with all the time there has been to reflect.

The deluxe edition weights 26 pounds, to give you an idea of its heft.

I appreciate the kind comments those that have seen the book have offered.

Best to all,

Ethan Russell

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2008 00:16

One great book Ethan .... Truely a treasure to behold...
But ya should have included a fork-lift with each copy to move it around the house..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2008 01:12

Ethan, is there any possibility that this book will ever be re-re-issued, on a smaller scale. In other words - in paperback set?
I am one of these lifelong fans,with hundreds of books. It goes without saying that your photos make up a large part of this image I carry within me of my favorite group. It makes me want to climb the walls that the most beautiful books, the greatest pics of aLL, are going to be forever kept from me, and many other hardcore fans. Because I simply will never ever be able to afford something like this.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 1, 2008 01:38

I appreciate you chiming in, Mr. Russell, and of course, good luck with sales. It is an ambitious project to say the least. I'm sure it will be valued by the individuals who can afford, and the few folks out there who will no doubt struggle for a time in order to obtain this.

This book, as fantastic as I'm sure it is, unfortunately (if only by perception) does little to remove creedence from critics who paint The Stones as, not artists, but a cold corporation with little else than the mighty dollar as the bottom line.

This book, as gorgeous as it looks and as divinely it represents a tour that happened 4 years prior to by birth, is priced far and above any reasonable cost for the average individual to afford. For myself and many, it represents the Stones as an act which prices themselves only to the elite.

While I'll always enjoy their wonderful back catalouge, I can now openly state the end of my supporting of such a group like the Stones for future ticket, and media purchases.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:05

Rockman
One great book Ethan .... Truely a treasure to behold...
But ya should have included a fork-lift with each copy to move it around the house..

Your solution Rockman

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:14

was it printed in gold ink? what a disgrace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-01 02:26 by melillo.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 1, 2008 02:40

If they make 100.000 or more copies instead of 750 they can reduce the price....I don't mind having copy 936.234

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 1, 2008 03:47

Barn Owl, you've officially gone from 'pretty cool' to '@#$%ing awesome'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 1, 2008 05:11

I'm reminded of that line, "you throw your pearls at swine..."

Talk is cheap, unlike art.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 1, 2008 05:22

whether you have money to burn or not, a rip off is a rip off, there would be nothing more silly than to pay this price for a book

Posted by: woody ()
Date: December 1, 2008 07:50

Well i have this book and exile and the deluxe tota and i say it is the best up there with my treasured copy of 'STU'
You pays your price or you don't.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 1, 2008 08:08

erussell
I am the author of LET IT BLEED and feel I just should chime in here about a few things. People are of course welcome to their opinions, but following is some information, most of it not from me, and it is factual, which a lot written here is not.

Ethan Russell

Hi there Ethan!

I see you're interested in things being factual, can you therefore give us an exact date for the photo session that appeared on the Through The Past Darkly album cover?

You're site etc states 1968, but for many reasons that's not very likely. Was it during May 1969 as Bill has stated in his 2 books?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 1, 2008 14:04

What happened to Barn Owl's post?

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 1, 2008 15:08

Dear Ethan, as I wrote in my previous posts, I consider your book the best ever together with some other Genesis Pubs.
The reasons of my enthusiasm are that this is the first important document of the best ever Stones Live Tour; the pix are incredible but also the text is very interesting as it contains anedocts on the tour which were not reported in any other font.
I'm only disappointed for my stupidity when I bought the regular version thinking the only difference was the litograph, while I saw the de-luxe version in my friend house and it's thick one third more than mine. I'm even thinking to sell my copy and buy he de-luxe version.
The price is in line with any other book of this kind, and it's wrong to consider it "just a book". This is a piece of art and the pictures contained wouldn't offer the same result in a smaller or economical edition. Size and paper quality have prior importance, expecially in documents like this one.
In this respect I hope there will never be reissues because otherwise the price I paid will be depreciated.
People that can't afford Let it bleed don't buy the Genesis Pub. either, while people buying Genesis should absolutely grab LIB, because this is by far a MUST.
Moreover, you have been on the road with the band and you personally witnessed the hystorical Satanic Tour; in a sense you're part of their history and I can't but express all my gratitude for spending your time with us on this forum.
Vanni

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 1, 2008 15:08

This is all so funny! Excellent entertainment! Keep it up lads! Brahhhhvohhhhh!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 1, 2008 15:42

LOGIE

Which one ?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 1, 2008 15:47

shortfatfanny
LOGIE

Which one ?

The one in which he concluded that only people with wallets inversely proportional to the size of their brains would consider buying this book.

I think he/she/it has upset someone!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 1, 2008 16:09

LOGIE
shortfatfanny
LOGIE

Which one ?

The one in which he concluded that only people with wallets inversely proportional to the size of their brains would consider buying this book.

I think he/she/it has upset someone!

Oh lala,might be.

But if you´re right there are easily some other posts to be mentioned which
were´nt deleted for a long time(or at all),although representing a shame to this board.

And if so,it´s a double shame !

To be honest,if someone would put that book with a fork-lifter in my cave,
I wouldn´t kick it out...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 2, 2008 02:07

The post was actually in very poor taste and demeaning towards the artist who obviously worked very hard to create a beautiful peice of art. And Art ain't cheap! And if you are upset with the price, you don't have to buy it. I can't afford it at the moment, but would love to get it. And you think of it as an investment. It will appreciate once all the copies have been sold.
But the post in question was very mean spirited and insulting towards Ethan who took the time and wrote as a gentleman. Ashame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-02 02:54 by whitem8.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 2, 2008 02:11

In Fact I should buy a few copys for an investment. Lost half of my 401K already so I'll try something new. One to keep forever and one to sell maybe in the future when the rest of my 401k is gone.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 2, 2008 08:11

Too bad the euro decreased those last months. It makes this book even more expensive although I think it's a very nice book.

Date: December 2, 2008 23:31

If anything raises its head I will be sure to post it on this forum.

Date: December 2, 2008 23:33

Answering little bits and pieces here...

The book in the Deluxe package and the book in the Standard are absolutely identical (except of course for edition numbers).

Date: December 2, 2008 23:44

Do what I can to help. Can't give you an exact date, but it is definitely 1968. It was before the rock n roll circus which was December 1968. If I run across anything that helps me with the exact date I'll post it.

Date: December 2, 2008 23:48

You know I hate to be predictable but I appreciate your post. It was, as I stated before, a six year labor and no part of it was ever other than the best it could be, which includes all aspects, from my photography, to my editorial, to design and production. So, thanks for this.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: December 2, 2008 23:50

erussell
Answering little bits and pieces here...

The book in the Deluxe package and the book in the Standard are absolutely identical (except of course for edition numbers).

My book has a black spine, the deluxe has red. My book is thinner. Doesnt' matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-03 12:59 by straycat58.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 2, 2008 23:57

erussell
Do what I can to help. Can't give you an exact date, but it is definitely 1968. It was before the rock n roll circus which was December 1968. If I run across anything that helps me with the exact date I'll post it.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Seems you were around to shoot them at their homes circa October - November 1968. You also shot them rehearsing at their bermondsey rehearsal space during this time.

Are you sure you aren't mixing these different sessions up with the darkly one? Their entire appearance is strikingly different in the 'darkly' photo's in comarison to their late 68 look, but comarison with other confirmed spring 1969 photos shows a similar look to the darkly photos.

By spring 1969 Keith's hair for example was far longer than it was during late 68, the darkly photos show his hair is way longer than any late 68 pics.

Add Bill's mention of a specific date in his books(may 1969), probably taken from his diary, it leaves little chance for late 68 being the date of the darkly photo session.

Sorry to go all OCD on you! thumbs up

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 3, 2008 06:02

whitem8
The post was actually in very poor taste and demeaning towards the artist who obviously worked very hard to create a beautiful peice of art. And Art ain't cheap! And if you are upset with the price, you don't have to buy it. I can't afford it at the moment, but would love to get it. And you think of it as an investment. It will appreciate once all the copies have been sold.
But the post in question was very mean spirited and insulting towards Ethan who took the time and wrote as a gentleman. Ashame.

I completely agree whitem8. Barn Owl's post was uncalled for and unnecessarily disparaging. My wife bought me the book for Christmas last year because I had mentioned on and off for years that I had been e-mailing Ethan asking him when the book was coming out and that I wanted very much to own a copy. When I told her it was finally going to be published but I wasn't going to buy it ( I was about to be layed off and knew it) she went ahead and bought for me. To me, that action that action had not so much to do with intelligence but everything to do with Love. Mr. Douglas seemed to think your post made you 'awesome' to me, it made you an as-shole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-03 07:27 by ChrisM.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home