Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Black & Blue sessions: Who else did (really) audition for the Stones?
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 26, 2008 15:33

When it comes to describing the Stones' Black & Blue-period, there's often much namedropping involved, concerning who was offered to join and who was invited to audition. It's not too far fetched then, to assume that many of these names have just been dropped for publicity reasons (and certainly not by the Stones themselves).

But, forgetting the hype, who was really on the list and who did in fact "audition" for them, apart from Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck, Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins? Is there any proof that further candidates have been tested?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-26 18:18 by Greenblues.

Re: Black & Blue sessions: Who else did (really) audition for the Stones?
Date: November 26, 2008 20:04

Hmmmm...no response can post a strong message too.

Maybe this is another proof that there was no further (verified) audition at all. Or maybe there has just been a little too much Black & Blue talk on this site recently... ;-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2008 20:13

Nils Lofgren ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 26, 2008 20:18

Just to drop a few more names, not sure any of these guys actually jammed with the band but they themselves say they have or were thought of as possible replacements in various articles...

Roy Buchanon, Shuggie Ottis, Peter Frampton

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:16

Rory Gallagher

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:30

Robert A Johnson

I've also read that Wilko Johnson auditioned but I'm not too sure about that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-26 21:33 by Gazza.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: November 26, 2008 21:34

Mick Ronson?

Date: November 26, 2008 21:51

aprilfool
Mick Ronson?

Dont think so. I dont believe Lofgren got as far as an audition or jam session either.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 26, 2008 22:12

Eric Clapton.

Posted by: arturo ()
Date: November 26, 2008 22:51

leslie west - steve marriott - bobby tench

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:43

Hank Marvin

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 27, 2008 00:48

perhaps we should try a different approach...i'm thinking a thread where we identify the players who DIDN'T audition....

Date: November 27, 2008 01:10

T&A
perhaps we should try a different approach...i'm thinking a thread where we identify the players who DIDN'T audition....

Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly and Duane Allmann

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 27, 2008 01:16

Gazza
T&A

Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly and Duane Allmann

in a meaningless, pointless exercise in "what if" - any chance that if Brian hadn't died that he might have pulled himself together in the intervening 6-7 years to the point when the Stones and he could have reconciled and reunited? on second thought...nevermind....

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 27, 2008 01:36

Peter Frampton?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 27, 2008 01:38

Lofgren wasn't although he'd loved to.
Ronson as well although he'd been on some members list.

Date: November 27, 2008 02:48

Gazza
Robert A Johnson

I've also read that Wilko Johnson auditioned but I'm not too sure about that.

My head is spinning at the thought of Wilko and Keith playing on the same stage together. Geez! What an awesome pairing.

Scotty

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2008 05:46

Jeff Beck?

What a JOKE!

Posted by: noexpectations ()
Date: November 27, 2008 06:43

Greenblues
When it comes to describing the Stones' Black & Blue-period, there's often much namedropping involved, concerning who was offered to join and who was invited to audition. It's not too far fetched then, to assume that many of these names have just been dropped for publicity reasons (and certainly not by the Stones themselves).

But, forgetting the hype, who was really on the list and who did in fact "audition" for them, apart from Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck, Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins? Is there any proof that further candidates have been tested?
I have know proof. But I heard mick and keef really wanted Billy Gibbons. They offered him the world. But he was not leaving the top.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:26

skipstone
Jeff Beck?

What a JOKE!

Exactly, but he actually was there at the studio, recording with them, and different accounts have been told what happened - who said "thank you, but no, now fvck off" and to whom...

Honestly, I have never taken very seriously all those lists of candidates of incredible names trying to get that post... I guess there were only few possible 'real' candidates (and none of them was really a big name like Clapton or Beck), and the rest is just media and PR bullshit - the Stones wanted to make a big media thing out of it.

But I need to remark that this just my interpretation of those strange circumstances, not based on true facts, etc.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:41

I think it is also interesting to think about the actual result: why on earth Ronnie Wood was chosen? Was it him they wanted in the first place (there seem to be indications of that - he knew the band and especially Mick and Keith already - there were rumours of him replacing Richards, etc.). So all the fuss about possible other candidates was basically just bluffing. Ronnie was the number one candidate all the time.

Or was it so that they couldn't find any one else suitable, so they finally turned into him (that was the story Ronnie loves to talk about: being present when Taylor quit, and Mick asked help, and Ronnie promised that he would join if they don't find anyone, etc.). In this case, Ronnie was like the second best alternative, waiting there to be picked up if 'better' could not be found.

Perhaps there are other scenarios as well.

Anyway, once agian, absolutely wonderful decision.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 10:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:52

Gazza
aprilfool
Mick Ronson?

Dont think so. I dont believe Lofgren got as far as an audition or jam session either.

Ronson did audition.
We were once next door neighbours in Woodstock, and he even told us, (the house owners, their pals and me) about the experience. (This came up shortly after the Stones came up to record with Peter Tosh in the local studio and the police blocked the roads and security was ridiculously tight.) Mick was a very talented guitarist, and a wonderful person (RIP - I miss him) and one of my all time heroes, but as he said, "I wasn't what they were looking for, in terms of style". I think he meant that his strenght wouldn't have been the interaction with the other guitarist, Keith. And Mick was perhaps too stright, in a way. I'm really glad Ronnie joined. He's been a lot more valuable to the band than many people realize. So thanx, Ronnie. Have a nice stay in the Emirates!

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:18

Doxa
skipstone
Jeff Beck?

What a JOKE!

Exactly, but he actually was there at the studio, recording with them, and different accounts have been told what happened - who said "thank you, but no, now fvck off" and to whom...

Honestly, I have never taken very seriously all those lists of candidates of incredible names trying to get that post... I guess there were only few possible 'real' candidates (and none of them was really a big name like Clapton or Beck), and the rest is just media and PR bullshit - the Stones wanted to make a big media thing out of it.

But I need to remark that this just my interpretation of those strange circumstances, not based on true facts, etc.

- Doxa

I'm not sure but I think Charlie mentions this in the book "According to...".
That Jeff did an audition but then left without anything really been said, that it just fizzled out.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 12:25

I read the same thing...and his personality would never have worked with Richards. No way. I love Mick Ronson tons, but again, I just can't imagine his style and personality jiving with Keith. Ronnie was the only one, and even though he plays very little on B&B, it was his for the taking.

Date: November 27, 2008 13:15

skipstone
Jeff Beck?

What a JOKE!

With Jeff Beck, I think he just was one of the hottest guitar heroes around, so many bands kind of "considered" him when it came to replacements - Deep Purple for example did so when Richie Blackmore had left.

But concerning Beck and those further candidates who actually did session work with the Stones the approach might just have been to kill two birds with one stone. Trying out new combinations and obtaining some nice guitar solos for the album at the same time (with which they did succeed to some extent, as we all know). So why not use a few patented Jeff Beck runs if these would have turned out to be usable?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-27 13:30 by Greenblues.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:17

whitem8
and even though he plays very little on B&B, it was his for the taking.

It is rather amazing that Ronnie is featuring so prominently on the cover picture of the album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:22

Yeah~ Great shot, he looks so at home. One of their best covers. So colorful, yet dark at the same time. And they are all gloriously stoned!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 13:24

Rockman
Nils Lofgren ....

Realy? Interesting. Didn't know that. I don't think he would really fit in, but that could be said about most of the guitar players. I believe they chose well.

Date: November 27, 2008 14:44

noexpectations
Greenblues

I have know proof. But I heard mick and keef really wanted Billy Gibbons. They offered him the world. But he was not leaving the top.

No way.

Date: November 27, 2008 14:51

marcovandereijk

It is rather amazing that Ronnie is featuring so prominently on the cover picture of the album.

Well he was no longer a 'guest' - which was the case in 1975. he had joined the band a few weeks before the album came out - although I'm pretty sure that photo session took place a while before that announcement

doxa
I think it is also interesting to think about the actual result: why on earth Ronnie Wood was chosen? Was it him they wanted in the first place (there seem to be indications of that - he knew the band and especially Mick and Keith already - there were rumours of him replacing Richards, etc.). So all the fuss about possible other candidates was basically just bluffing. Ronnie was the number one candidate all the time.

Or was it so that they couldn't find any one else suitable, so they finally turned into him (that was the story Ronnie loves to talk about: being present when Taylor quit, and Mick asked help, and Ronnie promised that he would join if they don't find anyone, etc.). In this case, Ronnie was like the second best alternative, waiting there to be picked up if 'better' could not be found..

Well, i think its more a case that they wanted Ronnie but that as he was a member of another 'active' band, he wasn't available. the timing worked out in the end. In the 14 months between Taylor leaving and his replacement being confirmed, the Faces had fallen apart.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home